• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii at Six Flags

I'm really impressed with how Nintendo is marketing the Wii

NEW YORK, Jan 23 (Reuters) - Amusement park operator Six Flags Inc. (SIX.N: Quote, Profile , Research) said on Tuesday it had entered into a sponsorship and marketing agreement with Nintendo Co. Ltd. (7974.OS: Quote, NEWS , Research) unit Nintendo of America.

Under the agreement, Nintendo's Wii video game system will become the official gaming console of Six Flags parks. Six Flags will also offer complimentary game-playing at Wii gaming stations at select theme parks.

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...SIXFLAGS-NINTENDO-URGENT.XML&rpc=66&type=qcna

Xrenity

So they're going to place those Wii's in Six Flag's arcade halls or something?

Sounds like a smart thing to do.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
this is awesome. now when i participate in the annual "Trip Flags" event ill get to play Wii games on acid. spectacular.

Man, I would love to go to Great Adventure again (haven't in 3 years) but they need to clean that place up. The last few times I went, it was all littered and graffitied up. I need my Medusa fix.

Dilbert

Why in the world would someone pay a lot of money for a ticket to a thrill ride theme park...and spend their time playing Wii?

Cheebs

-jinx- said:
Why in the world would someone pay a lot of money for a ticket to a thrill ride theme park...and spend their time playing Wii?
Six Flag's arcades tend to be arcade games from 1995 that no one cares about and those dumb ticket despinsing games yet people still go in them.

-jinx- said:
'Cause sometimes you go with a whole family or a group of people and some of the crazies are all like "Oh, no, I don't do coasters" and you're like "So... why did you come?" and now you don't have to hang out with them; you can just drop them off in front of the waggle machine.

-jinx- said:
Theme parks tend to have arcades, presumably they'll be in there. Obviously nobody goes to a theme park with the specific intention of going to an arcade, since you can to arcades elsewhere for free, but it doesn't mean that once they're in the park they won't stop in when it's right in front of their face.

argon

This is a great idea to draw in the casuals and curious. Sega did the same thing in the mid 90s. Small kiosks with rolling demos and playable consoles were set up right outside the entrance/exit to certain rides.

If they want to draw in non-gamers, why would they put them in arcades?

The first time I played a Saturn (NiGHTS) was at an outdoor kiosk set up at Six Flags Magic Mountain in Southern California. I was blown away.

I don't know how they will manage to avoid Wiimote theft and idiocy-related injuries, though...

Link

The Autumn Wind
-jinx- said:
I would assume some people like to take breaks every now and then, possibly after eating.

PkunkFury

when you have a season pass and go every week in the summer, the arcades/games become a lot more interesting. Most teens who live within an hour of the park tend to buy these passes, as you cover the cost with 2.5 admissions. I remember 6 flags in IL had DDR for free for awhile once so we ended up playing a couple of hours.

That said I wouldn't play Wii at the theme park since I have one. What would be nice is if you could play while waiting in line somehow

Meier

-jinx- said:

I went to Epcot back in middle school on a field trip (every kid in Orlando goes there a few times on field trips), and one year I stayed in Innoventions and played Torrin's Passage for 6 hours straight. Pretty much never left that part of the park. :lol I gotta go to Six Flags Over Georgia again -- it was a total blast.

Tanukid

To bad Six Flags dump Mr. Six, he would had been the perfect spokes person for the Wii. XD
mrsixcontest3rf.jpg

'Cause sometimes you go with a whole family or a group of people and some of the crazies are all like "Oh, no, I don't do coasters" and you're like "So... why did you come?" and now you don't have to hang out with them; you can just drop them off in front of the waggle machine.

People are "crazies" if they don't like going on roller coasters?

Six Flags turned Marine World in Vallejo, CA into a zoo with rollercoasters. Last week they renamed the park 'Six Flags Discovery Kingdom'.

Six Flags ruined Geauga Lake in Aurora, Ohio. It was a nice little independent park. Six Flags bought it and Sea World next door, combined the parks, added some nice coasters, and then let both parks slip into disrepair. It was such a shame.

Cedar Fair FTW!!

Dilbert

Link said:
I would assume some people like to take breaks every now and then, possibly after eating.
Yeah, I guess that's a good point. Every time I went to Six Flags, I wanted to maximize the number of rides to the exclusion of all else...maybe other people approach the park differently.

-jinx- said:
Yeah, I guess that's a good point. Every time I went to Six Flags, I wanted to maximize the number of rides to the exclusion of all else...maybe other people approach the park differently.

Age is a big factor. When I was a teenager, it was all about riding every ride as many times as possible. In my 20s, I slowed down and just made a point to hit major rides several times but pace myself. Now, in my early 30s with 2 kids, I enjoy watching the young ones have a blast in kiddy land and riding the occasional coaster. Parks have great atmosphere -- everyone is having a great time and spending a lot of money -- they're just nice places to be.

I tell you this ... my afterprom was at Cedar Point, the best and biggest coaster park in the world. It rained all day, so I spent the day playing Midway games, riding indoor rides, hitting the arcade and taking in the shows. None of those things are what makes Cedar Point special, but it was still one of the best times I've ever had at an amusement park. Sometimes, the overwhelming need to cram as much into one day as possible ruins the fun by creating stress where none is needed or warranted.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
mCACGj said:
With bigger, faster rides.
clearacell said:
...with bigger, faster, better rides...less kids...and more parks.

... I find it amusing that Six Flags parks are being touted as examples of "better rides" in comparison to Disneyland. All Six Flags has is a bunch of coasters.

MMaRsu

Banned
DavidDayton said:
... I find it amusing that Six Flags parks are being touted as examples of "better rides" in comparison to Disneyland. All Six Flags has is a bunch of coasters.

I find it amusing that you find it amusing.

woxel1

DavidDayton said:
It's a thrill park not a theme park. Apples and oranges.

EDIT: How about that Nintendo.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
MMaRsu said:
I find it amusing that you find it amusing.
I feel like I'm stepping through the looking glass.

woxel1 said:
It's a thrill park not a theme park. Apples and oranges.
EDIT: How about that Nintendo.
Hey, I was merely responding to the folks who made the comparison! I'll gladly grant that Six Flags has better coasters...

Nintendo? Quite nice, quite nice. Time to get me some Hotel Dusk.

Top Bottom