• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Chess - Wifi, different graphics-styles, Low Budget-price

Lobster

Banned
Amir0x said:
well now people are arguing that chess with online play is a good value at 30 euro, even though chess with online play is FREE on the internet. In tons of different styles to boot! But it's on a disc, so! WOW!

I mean it's just chess, they can charge whatever they want, but gofreak is fucking right. This would be thrown on XBLA/PSN with HD visuals, online play, leaderboards, video support for $5 bucks and everyone would call it a day. THAT'S a good value.

Sometimes you just don't listen to Amir0x and sometimes you do..

This one of the times we MUST listen to Amir0x. Wii Chess..honestly..so stupid that it hurts my brain. You might aswell hit your head with a large mallet if you purchase this for 30 euros..you could buy Mercury Meltdown revolution for that price!!

You could buy a really good mallet with 30 euros. Im talking top of the line.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Could buy myself a hooker for that and the pain from that could be more enjoyable.

Ok so maybe not that bad.

maxmars

Could you guys just hold your trolling of this game at least until we know more about it?

EDIT Forgot to add "please", sorry.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Lobster said:
Sometimes you just don't listen to Amir0x and sometimes you do..

This one of the times we MUST listen to Amir0x. Wii Chess..honestly..so stupid that it hurts my brain. You might aswell hit your head with a large mallet if you purchase this for 30 euros..you could buy Mercury Meltdown revolution for that price!!

It WOULD be worth shelling out 30 euros if it had those features I've mentioned before. There HAVE been chess programs with varying amounts of features you know. And I'm not talking graphics crap like 3d boards and fighting.

Have ANY of you ever played a Chessmaster game?

Lobster

Banned
Tempy said:
It WOULD be worth shelling out 30 euros if it had those features I've mentioned before. There HAVE been chess programs with varying amounts of features you know. And I'm not talking graphics crap like 3d boards and fighting.

I've never played chessmaster but im guessing the basic premises was playing chess...right?

Thats the problem here..whatever cool nifty gimmicks you put in..its still going to be the same old chess.

maxmars

Tempy said:

Yes, I'm playing the DS version right now, for one. And I have bought and played many more, only, they are very obscure because they're only known to people who play chess.

Coming from there the 30 € price is not unheard of for the few features we know of, and by itself is not cause for scandal. I'd say, let's wait and see how the game turns out before judging it.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Lobster said:
I've never played chessmaster but im guessing the basic premises was playing chess...right?

Thats the problem here..whatever cool nifty gimmicks you put in..its still going to be the same old chess.

God. Now you're calling Chessmaster features gimmicks. IT'S NOT FUCKING BATTLECHESS.

Which with with the right features would be worth £20 to some people(obviously not you), hell Maxmars even said with the right features a full price game could interest him.

What's with posting a NSFW pic? And people even quote that.

gofreak said:
Low budget price? If anyone dared put this on XBL or PSN at €30, well...

The notion of value between those two kinds of platform (Wii v 360/PS3) can be quite messed up in more ways than one.
It's not a WiiWare game but a retail disc. As such it's at a budget price. Wether or not you deem it worthy of spending 30 € on it is a different question altogether.

TigerKnee said:
Hey look! More innovative and fun games to broaden the already killer library on the Wii!

Funny. Except chess will still be played long after this gen is dead & buried.

Maybe it should come with a tagline "the Advance Wars of Board Games" might sell a few more that way.

duckroll

Lobster said:

Look, if you don't even like chess why the fuck are you even in the thread? Now this Wii package is clearly pretty shovelware by any standards, but that doesn't mean there aren't real chess games out there worth money.

Yes, in the end you're still playing chess. Just like in the end you're still playing tennis, soccer, baseball, etc. What's the different? Features. For chess players the appeal lies in recreating famous matches, playing against the tactics and strategies of top ranking players, tournament modes, etc. Having databases for moves, strategies, and even unlocking different chess sets and stuff can be lots of fun for people that actually play the game.

If you don't I suggest you stfu.

TigerKnee

Cerebral Assassin said:
Funny. Except chess will still be played long after this gen is dead & buried.

Maybe it should come with a tagline "the Advance Wars of Board Games" might sell a few more that way.

I can play chess for free online.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
TigerKnee said:

Free online chess games do not have the extensive features Chess Programs CAN have (Chessmaster, Fritz, etc). Now clearly Wii Chess seems to be shovelware crap, but it really irks me that people are so ignorant about GOOD Chess Programs. Webcrap games or shovelware $5 pc games with barebones features need not apply.

Danj

TigerKnee said:

Yeah, but the online chess games are normally shitty Java things you have to play in a tiny envelope size window on your PC, and they don't have move databases of famous players, and they don't look nice. There's more to a good computer chess game than just "being able to play chess". It really seems like a bunch of people came in here to say how crap chess is and what a stupid idea putting out a chess game is, but the fact of the matter is, this board game has been around for FIVE HUNDRED YEARS and people are still playing it. Personally I think every platform should have at least one chess game, because it's GUARANTEED to have at least some players.

Again you can play most of the titles on the VC for free, doesn't mean it isn't a good idea to release them(on the VC) does it? What if you aren't online and wish to play chess?

Now clearly Wii Chess seems to be shovelware crap
we have had 1 PR piece do any of you have a full feature list?

TigerKnee

Tempy said:
Free online chess games do not have the extensive features Chess Programs CAN have (Chessmaster, Fritz, etc). Now clearly Wii Chess seems to be shovelware crap, but it really irks me that people are so ignorant about GOOD Chess Programs. Webcrap games or shovelware $5 pc games with barebones features need not apply.

So what is the best PC chess game these days? Still Chessmaster?

maxmars

TigerKnee said:
So what is the best PC chess game these days? Still Chessmaster?

It depends on what makes a chess game good in your eyes. In my opinion, Fritz + the ChessBase subscription can not be beaten.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Cerebral Assassin said:
we have had 1 PR piece do any of you have a full feature list?

I don't really. But it's not like it's newly announced. They don't seem to be advertising any features which would be interesting, so I'm afraid what they've said is actually all that we'll get. I'd love to be proven wrong on this.

They don't seem to be advertising any features which would be interesting, so I'm afraid what they've said is actually all that we'll get. I'd love to be proven wrong on this.

Nintendo don't seem to be doing a lot of advertising for these type of games until they are actually out though,so there is some small hope for some more interesting stuff.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Phife Dawg said:
It's not a WiiWare game but a retail disc. As such it's at a budget price. Wether or not you deem it worthy of spending 30 € on it is a different question altogether.

€30 compared to top of the line €60 is budget, yeah.

€30 for pong would be "budget" too.

BTW, 5 and 10 euro disc games are out there in PC land. Just because it's on a disc doesn't mean 30 euro is the minimum, or that it can't be compared unfavourably to other platforms that offer such games at a fraction of the prices, even by DLC.

Side note, but if this were a third party game, I think the disdain would be slightly more universal, as we've seen with various other third party Wii games. But because it's from Nintendo, even this will have its defenders.

Kyoufu

I would pay full price for a feature filled Chess game. This one though, do not want.

I just recieved a persian chess set as a christmas present :D

jts

...hate me...
So, lets make a set:

white pieces vs black pieces

Pawn: Toad vs Goomba
Knight: Yoshi vs Boshi??
Bishop: Luigi vs Waluigi
Rook: ?????? vs ??????
Queen: Peach vs ??????
King: Mario vs Wario

Yeah, this should've been Mario Chess in the great tradition of Mario sports games :lol

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Kyoufu said:
I would pay full price for a feature filled Chess game. This one though, do not want.

I just recieved a persian chess set as a christmas present :D

What's a Persian Chess set? Got pics?

Seeing the Lego Chess set in the Lego store also kinda begs for a videogame version :p

Kyoufu

Tempy said:
What's a Persian Chess set? Got pics?

Seeing the Lego Chess set in the Lego store also kinda begs for a videogame version :p

I'll PM you pics once I open it. I told my relative to buy me a nice looking persian chess set which looks....persian.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I mean it's just chess, they can charge whatever they want, but gofreak is fucking right. This would be thrown on XBLA/PSN with HD visuals, online play, leaderboards, video support for $5 bucks and everyone would call it a day. THAT'S a good value.

Yeah but that's a different market. Mom, dad, grand pa, casual gamer joe, and betty sue aren't going to play chess on XBLA or Wii Ware. I mean even Tetris was first released on disc format for the 360, then revamped on XBLA .

Visualante said:
You keep telling yourself that.
I don't know if I would pare that down to the 'one and only reason', but I don't see why it wouldn't be the main reason. These are businesses, after all, not soup kitchens.

This game is not intended for the 360 or PS3 audience. It is not a online oriented game.

This game is designed to get grandpa and his grandson to play Wii together.

It is basicly a game for everyone to play on Wii, and let people that do not usually play videogames get used to the Wiimote.

It is the same as WiiSports or Wiiplay, unintimidating games for everyone to use the Wiimote. It is also the same concept behind the news channel or weather channel. They want people to pick up the wiimote and use it to become proficient with its use.

Side note, but if this were a third party game, I think the disdain would be slightly more universal, as we've seen with various other third party Wii games. But because it's from Nintendo, even this will have its defenders.

I think it is the opposite. Does every Barbie game get trashed on gaf ??? This Chess game has a different target audience than GAF, yet it gets trashed

jarrod

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
Yeah but that's a different market. Mom, dad, grand pa, casual gamer joe, and betty sue aren't going to play chess on XBLA or Wii Ware. I mean even Tetris was first released on disc format for the 360, then revamped on XBLA .
Then why not go the Sony route, and just release it on both formats?

We should probably wait to see just how substantial the content is first though probably...

Then why not go the Sony route, and just release it on both formats?

We should probably wait to see just how substantial the content is first though probably...

1. retailers will complain if the prices are significantly different.
2. Wii-Ware isn't up and running and as far as I'm aware has no official release/start date in the EU

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Starchasing said:
I think it is the opposite. Does every Barbie game get trashed on gaf ??? This Chess game has a different target audience than GAF, yet it gets trashed

The problem is that a lot of people on GAF do at least casually play Chess. For free. They play it for free locally with a chess board or at a coffee shop or chess club in a park or at their university or workplace, they play it for free digitally via correspondence either through email, through Facebook chess, or through another digital correspondence chess game, they play it for free digitally against computer AIs, ranging from brain-dead first-year CS student AIs to AIs that could stomp any chess player on this board, they play it for free digitally against real humans through Flash or Java applets while at work...

I love people defending the "casual player" angle. The price is not conducive for casual players. Big Brain Academy and Cooking Mama Wii both did very poorly compared to their DS counterparts; why? Price. It's the same reason the Wii Zapper is selling. It's one of the main reasons the Wii is selling so quickly.

The price here makes no sense. Casuals will play Chess for free. The hardcore will pay the same amount as this to get a better product... or play for free. Where is the audience? Do you really think that Grandpa is not able to play Chess right now in a cheaper, easier way than with Wii Chess?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Cerebral Assassin said:
The game has been going for over 500yrs and probably has more people playing it worldwide than 90% of videogames, I don't really think there is much you can do to make chess interesting to someone who has no interest in it.
just add bloom, sparks, and desaturate the hell out of the image.

Stumpokapow said:
The problem is that a lot of people on GAF do at least casually play Chess. For free. They play it for free locally with a chess board or at a coffee shop or chess club in a park or at their university or workplace, they play it for free digitally via correspondence either through email, through Facebook chess, or through another digital correspondence chess game, they play it for free digitally against computer AIs, ranging from brain-dead first-year CS student AIs to AIs that could stomp any chess player on this board, they play it for free digitally against real humans through Flash or Java applets while at work...

If they already play Chess for free why do they care about this game??? I would understand the moaning if they werent playing Chess for free before.

It is the same as VC... why bitch and moan when you can play every single game for free on your PC?

I love people defending the "casual player" angle. The price is not conducive for casual players. Big Brain Academy and Cooking Mama Wii both did very poorly compared to their DS counterparts; why? Price.

DS has a massive huge userbase that the Wii does not have yet, so you cant really compare both.

Casuals will play Chess for free. The hardcore will pay the same amount as this to get a better product... or play for free. Where is the audience? Do you really think that Grandpa is not able to play Chess right now in a cheaper, easier way than with Wii Chess?

You can get news for free and you can get weather reports for free. You can also hook most of cameras to the TV to see the pictures. Yet the Wii has a news channel a weather channel and a photo channel. Why?

Because they want people that never touched a videogame system to pick up the Wiimote.

Do you think they spent a lot of money making that chess game? Probably not, so they will be happy with whatever sales this game gets. They are interested in making games for everyone to pick up, so people will get used to the Wiimote.

They have been saying this since the begining , they want a machine for everyone in the family, so in that perspective this Chess game makes a lot of sense, specially when it is 20 euros cheaper than most games.

And BTW i dont like this game and i will never buy it, i already have a chess set.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think this is one of those games that GAF will judge wrong and it will do quite well. It will sell on novelty and the fact everyone knows what chess is, and the people buying it know exactly what they are getting.

NOE will also probably have TV adverts showing Captain Picard in a log cabin infront of a fire getting Nicole Kidman all giggly when he takes her queen over the internet.

jarrod

Banned
Cerebral Assassin said:
1. retailers will complain if the prices are significantly different.
2. Wii-Ware isn't up and running and as far as I'm aware has no official release/start date in the EU
Well, retail seems to have little sway over PS3 (Warhawk) or 360 (TR Anniversary) doing the same thing... and honestly, Nintendo's in a far, far better bargining position with Wii than Sony or Microsoft at the moment.

The WiiWare program is probably the more limiting factor though... but isn't suppossed to be in place for Japan by year's end?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Starchasing said:
If they already play Chess for free why do they care about this game??? I would understand the moaning if they werent playing Chess for free before.

The bitching and moaning is because this COULD be a good idea if it was cheaper. I bitched and moaned about Big Brain Academy Wii as well because I enjoy the concept and have a lot of fun playing it, but be damned if I'm going to buy it at $60 Canadian.

It is the same as VC... why bitch and moan when you can play every single game for free on your PC?

Not all of us pirate.

Certainly, though the VC would be much better if for your money you got half of the features (remappable controls, save state/load state, speed up emulator, game genie/PAR & by extension ROM hacks and patches, online netplay, optional graphics filters, etc) that you get for free on PC. I know that I would rather play a ROM of a game like, for example, Secret of Mana, which I already own than play it on the VC... and cost has nothing to do with that fact.

You can get news for free and you can get weather reports for free. You can also hook most of cameras to the TV to see the pictures. Yet the Wii has a news channel a weather channel and a photo channel. Why?

The Wii news, weather, and photo channels are all free. If you want to continue your analogy, Wii Chess would be a good idea if it was free. I agree.

Stumpokapow said:
I love people defending the "casual player" angle. The price is not conducive for casual players. Big Brain Academy and Cooking Mama Wii both did very poorly compared to their DS counterparts; why? Price. It's the same reason the Wii Zapper is selling. It's one of the main reasons the Wii is selling so quickly.

Well, from a European perspective, I believe both BBA and Cooking Mama have done pretty well. BBA certainly seems to be everpresent in the UK charts, and I'm not surprised given that it can be bought new for between £15 and £20. According to this info, Wii Chess will be retailing at around the same price so will fall into the same near-impulse buy range as BBA, the Zapper/LCT pack and Endless Ocean.

The price here makes no sense. Casuals will play Chess for free. The hardcore will pay the same amount as this to get a better product... or play for free. Where is the audience? Do you really think that Grandpa is not able to play Chess right now in a cheaper, easier way than with Wii Chess?

Again, I think we need to see exactly what Wii Chess offers before making these kind of declarations. If all it is is Chess with a Mii skin, online play and a selection of boards, then yes, I think the audience will likely be vanishingly small. If Nintendo can offer something with enough substance and with the same kind of polished presentation and appeal as Big Brain Academy for the same kind of price, then I think it could be quite successful - in spite of being available in a multitude of other formats, or for free.

Stumpokapow said:
The bitching and moaning is because this COULD be a good idea if it was cheaper. I bitched and moaned about Big Brain Academy Wii as well because I enjoy the concept and have a lot of fun playing it, but be damned if I'm going to buy it at $60 Canadian.

You would bitch and moan anyways

Not all of us pirate.

Certainly, though the VC would be much better if for your money you got half of the features (remappable controls, save state/load state, speed up emulator, game genie/PAR & by extension ROM hacks and patches, online netplay, optional graphics filters, etc) that you get for free on PC. I know that I would rather play a ROM of a game like, for example, Secret of Mana, which I already own than play it on the VC... and cost has nothing to do with that fact.

See? you bitch and moan anyways

The Wii news, weather, and photo channels are all free. If you want to continue your analogy, Wii Chess would be a good idea if it was free. I agree.

That is not my analogy.

My analogy is that they are all unintimitading products designed to make the Wii less intimidating

I think this is one of those games that GAF will judge wrong and it will do quite well. It will sell on novelty and the fact everyone knows what chess is, and the people buying it know exactly what they are getting.

It has happened with almost every single touch generations game... Nintendogs, Brain Training, WiiSports....

jarrod said:
Well, retail seems to have little sway over PS3 (Warhawk) or 360 (TR Anniversary) doing the same thing... and honestly, Nintendo's in a far, far better bargining position with Wii than Sony or Microsoft at the moment.

The WiiWare program is probably the more limiting factor though... but isn't suppossed to be in place for Japan by year's end?

Warhawk has extra stuff in retail(Bluetooth headset) and doesn't TR ********** require TR L****D?
As for being in a better bargaining position thats true but In the UK at least its taken a long time for this to occur so I don't think they want to start pushing their luck so soon.As for the Wii-ware channel who knows when that will be out(my bet is it will launch with FFCB), wasn't Impossible Mission intended as a Wiiware title which got shifted to retail?

jgkspsx

Amir0x said:
well now people are arguing that chess with online play is a good value at 30 euro, even though chess with online play is FREE on the internet. In tons of different styles to boot! But it's on a disc, so! WOW!

Hear hear. I'd gladly pay $30 for a full port of Chessmaster 9000 (if you want depth) or for a Wii Clubhouse Games (breadth), but $30 for a bare-bones chess game is unreal.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Starchasing said:
You would bitch and moan anyways. See? you bitch and moan anyways

I'm a dedicated lifelong Nintendo customer. I buy pretty much everything they make that isn't utter shit. I have 75 DS games, 15 Wii games, 15 VC games, 100+ SNES games, every single piece of hardware they've made since the NES including 2 SNES and 3 DS units.

If I do bitch and moan, it's because I think Nintendo has some fantastic ideas that they are utterly failing to realize. The VC is one of them. Put me down on the list with Chris Kohler; I love the VC, I will support it, but it could be much much better with minimal or no effort.

I don't think the complaints are bitching and moaning, because they're really quite reasonable. As it relates to Wii Chess, I was genuinely excited for this title since it first appeared on the GC release list months and months ago. However, I expected it to be $10 and likely a WiiWare launch title. Nintendo has proven it's willing to sell games for cheap; look at Link's Crossbow Training+Zapper bundle. That was an awesome deal. The fact that this will be sold on disc at 30 Euro is really depressing, because of how much I was looking forward to it at a lower pricepoint.

At 30 euro, for this to be a good value, it'd have to be Chessmaster in terms of features and Nintendo AAA quality in terms of polish and interface. Forgive me if I'm skeptical at this point that either condition will be met.

If I do bitch and moan, it's because I think Nintendo has some fantastic ideas that they are utterly failing to realize. The VC is one of them. Put me down on the list with Chris Kohler; I love the VC, I will support it, but it could be much much better with minimal or no effort.

What improvments do you mean?

magus said:
If this was...

8eka5vc.jpg

(for Wii)

I would buy it instantly.

I came here to post exactly the same thing

Top Bottom