• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Chess - Wifi, different graphics-styles, Low Budget-price

Prospero

I usually play Sigma Chess in OS X, and the free version of that is strong enough to beat at least 99.9% of players, and has loads of features. So this isn't of much interest to me.

But I'd happily pay full price for a Go game on the Wii--completely irrational, since I can play that for free as well, but there you go. (Especially if it came with a few thousand Go problems ranked by difficulty. Get on this, somebody!

(Ah, who am I kidding--it'll never happen.)

Jirotrom

magus said:
If this was...

8eka5vc.jpg

(for Wii)

I would buy it instantly.
I LOVED THAT GAME!!! The only good battle chess.

But I'd happily pay full price for a Go game on the Wii--completely irrational, since I can play that for free as well, but there you go. (Especially if it came with a few thousand Go problems ranked by difficulty. Get on this, somebody!

I remember reading this is a lot harder to make than a Chess game(more moves available at one time ) so I wouldn't hold out much hope(unless you live in Japan which is probably the only place a go game would come out)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cerebral Assassin said:
What improvments do you mean?

Control re-mapping and save-states are trivial. Being able to play off an SD card is trivial. Removing the 48 channel limit by use of folders for each system or just custom folders, or another storage metaphor is trivial.

Fixing the TG-16 emulator may or may not be trivial and may or may not be Nintendo's job versus Hudson's--no one has really released the information necessary to know for sure.

When games are updated with a bugfix, using WC24 to download the update would be a good idea. Using WC24 to notify purchasers that there is an update would be a good second-best option. Releasing a list of fixes along with game updates is not hard, even if it's just "Stability fix" or "Fixes graphical errors".

Support for rumble in N64 games using the GC controller. Support for peripheral-based games like the NES Zapper.

Letting us know the release list in advance, like in Japan, like what SEGA does, like what Hudson does.

A better release list. I've elaborated on the benefits of an Amazon-iTunes style catalog system that involves releasing everything, and using features like "If you like this game, you'll also like..." and "People who bought this game also bought..." and "Rate this Game". But even besides that, Japan gets generally about 2x the number of releases as we do.

Interface improvements to the shop channel. The firmware update a while ago was a good start, but more remains to be done. It's still a tad too slow, nothing is cached locally.

Putting the VC videos that are on the website in the shop channel so we don't need a web browser open at the same time. The Shop Channel runs on a modified Wii Opera, which can do the videos. Why can't the Shop Channel?

The option to save your credit card. Force me to re-type my CVV, my expiry date, and my personal info if necessary, but let me save my CC number. At least * out the CC number while I'm typing it.

This is all stuff off the top of my head that should have been there day one and COULD have been there day one with little extra effort. Claiming that any of this takes a lot of time relies on the assumption that Nintendo's developers are shitty. I don't believe they are.

Prospero

Cerebral Assassin said:
I remember reading this is a lot harder to make than a Chess game(more moves available at one time ) so I wouldn't hold out much hope(unless you live in Japan which is probably the only place a go game would come out)

Yeah--there's been as much effort put into Go AI as Chess AI, but because of the difference in complexity Go programs are still easily beatable by humans.

No6

Starchasing said:
That is not my analogy.

My analogy is that they are all unintimitading products designed to make the Wii less intimidating
Except this is just the opposite. The News/Weather Channels are roughly as easy to a casual as looking up news/weather online. Chess is not (compared to playing it on a board), and the price is such that a casual would definately think about picking up a chessboard for a third of the cost. And the Fritz crew won't be intimidated by anything, so they'll go to the most hardcore option... which is Fritz. Or they'll buy a fleshed-out Chessmaster for $10 on XBLA. Or Chessmaster for DS so they can have a portable version.

Removing the 48 channel limit by use of folders for each system or just custom folders, or another storage metaphor is trivial.
I think this goes against the thinking behind the channel system, they wanted it to be as quick as changing a TV channel so folders don't really fit with that.

Letting us know the release list in advance, like in Japan, like what SEGA does, like what Hudson does.
This would be nice, but I suppose the thinking behind that is it might dissuade people from buying something now if they see something the like is out next week.

Support for peripheral-based games like the NES Zapper.
The original peripherals or just the Wiimote mimicing it?

Amazon-iTunes style catalog system that involves releasing everything['b], and using features like "If you like this game, you'll also like..." and "People who bought this game also bought..." and "Rate this Game".

These are always fairly useless though, and by everything do you mean evertyhing they intend to release over the lifespan of the Wii?
The option to save your credit card. Force me to re-type my CVV, my expiry date, and my personal info if necessary, but let me save my CC number. At least * out the CC number while I'm typing it.
Yeah it is annoying but I assume its just Nintendo being cautious about fraud.
Putting the VC videos that are on the website in the shop channel so we don't need a web browser open at the same time. The Shop Channel runs on a modified Wii Opera, which can do the videos. Why can't the Shop Channel?
This is the big one the only reason I can think of for this is Nintendo doesn'twant people to see how some of these games are :D

jgkspsx

Stumpokapow said:
A better release list. I've elaborated on the benefits of an Amazon-iTunes style catalog system that involves releasing everything, and using features like "If you like this game, you'll also like..." and "People who bought this game also bought..." and "Rate this Game".
Isn't that what the "Everybody's Wii" channel is?

PkunkFury

this would have been really cool if it didn't require a disc. I would pay a bit of cash for a Wii chess that could be played via Wii-mail, with the blue light coming on any time my opponent's move goes through. Seems like an easy thing to set up via the maling system, but having to use a disc would kill it

Amir0x said:
well now people are arguing that chess with online play is a good value at 30 euro, even though chess with online play is FREE on the internet. In tons of different styles to boot! But it's on a disc, so! WOW!

So true, there's probably a Wii compatible chess flash game out there already. Failing that, you could just email moves to each other.

Cerebral Assassin said:
I think this goes against the thinking behind the channel system, they wanted it to be as quick as changing a TV channel so folders don't really fit with that.
I know, but what shit. Can you imagine how people would freak out if their TV could only have simultaneous access to 48 channels without manually shuffling things when they wanted another?

F#A#Oo

Banned
verplant said:
So budget is? 19€? 9€? 1€?

Wii Games are around 50€ to 60€...

€50-€60? Are you mad? I feel sorry for you pocket...there are loads of places that sell Wii games reasonably...

NoirYuki

Phife Dawg said:
What's with posting a NSFW pic? And people even quote that.

Eh, took me a few seconds before I even realized what was going on in the picture. Technically NSFW, but only if you're going to sit and stare at it.

gofreak said:
€30 compared to top of the line €60 is budget, yeah.

€30 for pong would be "budget" too.

BTW, 5 and 10 euro disc games are out there in PC land. Just because it's on a disc doesn't mean 30 euro is the minimum, or that it can't be compared unfavourably to other platforms that offer such games at a fraction of the prices, even by DLC.

Side note, but if this were a third party game, I think the disdain would be slightly more universal, as we've seen with various other third party Wii games. But because it's from Nintendo, even this will have its defenders.
Where am I "defending" this? There are 10 € budget lines for PC, so what? Wii's budget line happens to start at 30 € (at least first party). I'm not discussing value of the product (how could I, we know next to nothing about the title anyway), I was merely commenting on your concerns in regards to calling this budget software.

And the "bohoo you people defend everything Nintendo"-line doesn't add anything to the discussion anyways.

NoirYuki said:
Eh, took me a few seconds before I even realized what was going on in the picture. Technically NSFW, but only if you're going to sit and stare at it.
Technically? There's dudes blowing each other and fu*ing each other in the ass.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Stumpokapow said:
save-states are trivial.

While I pretty much do wish most of your other issues were fixed, what's wrong with the save state system used on the Virtual Console now? I do wish N64 games supported it, but it works perfectly well everywhere else without mangling the game experience/difficulty.

Capndrake

Video, screens and information: http://nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/games/wii/wii_chess_2787.html

Pit your wits against chess experts from around the continent and prove yourself a master strategist in Wii Chess.

Featuring state of the art artificial intelligence and the option of going head to head in two-player mode (with a friend at home or online via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection), Wii Chess will test your knowledge of the game to the limits and bring the intensity of international competition into your living room.

When you take your seat at the virtual table you will be able to control the movement of your pieces by simply holding the Wii Remote vertically and using the +Control Pad and A and B Buttons. Extensive options let you customise the look of the pieces and board you are playing with, while beginners can choose to get a helping hand in the form of on-screen prompts that remind them where each piece can move. You can even record and replay your games to see where you went wrong or enjoy your victory all over again!

Perhaps your stiffest challenge will come when facing the game itself. Boasting one of the best chess-dedicated artificial intelligence systems available, Wii Chess will have even the most experienced players racking their brains to avoid being backed into a corner. But don’t worry; you can ease yourself in by setting the difficulty to an appropriate level before working your way up to the ultimate test. Can you take on the best and capture their kings or will you find yourself facing checkmate in the blink of an eye?

Compete against players from around Europe via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.
Test your skills against the game’s advanced artificial intelligence and see how you measure up against one of the toughest virtual opponents on the planet.
Simple controls and guidance for beginners means anyone can get to grips with the game straight away.
The graphics are REALLY basic.

And ugh, region-locked Wi-Fi again. Though the game doesn't even appear to be scheduled for release outside Europe yet.

later

Make sense to region lock it since it would otherwise lag too much, right? :lol :lol

This should be a _free_ wiiware game.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The problem isn't the graphics. You don't know how many people prefer a standard wooden or diagram look for the pieces, rather than abstract 3d shapes :p I personally never use a 3d representation of the board if I can help it. No, the issue is more of a price vs features one. Other than online, it looks like the PS2 Chessmaster I bought for roughly $30 a few years ago kicks this one's buttocks.

Prospero

Graphics are perfectly fine--functional and that's it.

I'd pay $10 for it as a downloadable game, just for the convenience of playing it with the Wiimote while sitting on my couch.

nli10

Seems ideal to teach younger kids how to play chess, especially if you can mario-ise some of the features.

Not expecting Deep Blue or PC levels of value here though, just online play, a complete history of my games I've played (and an AI me based around that for friends to play when I'm not there) and maybe a few basic unlockables.

E-mailed it to the casuals in my family asking about this over Xmas.

The game should connect to all the idle Wii's that have Wii-Connect 24 enabled, to form one big distributed chess master mind. Even though the Wii's CPU isn't that hot, weak * 1.000.000s == strong chess player ;)

nli10

Powdered Toastman said:
The game should connect to all the idle Wii's that have Wii-Connect 24 enabled, to form one big distributed chess master mind. Even though the Wii's CPU isn't that hot, weak * 1.000.000s == strong chess player ;)

Chessing At Home?

No6

maxmars said:
Looks simple but polished, I am also intrigued about the AI claims.. Definitely getting this.
Really? I thought the video of gameplay actually managed to look kinda unpolished.

If the Wii is your only console I don't see why you don't just use the Wii Opera browser to find an online chess site and make that your homepage.

When you take your seat at the virtual table you will be able to control the movement of your pieces by simply holding the Wii Remote vertically and using the +Control Pad and A and B Buttons.

No point and drag?

nli10

No6 said:
Really? I thought the video of gameplay actually managed to look kinda unpolished.

If the Wii is your only console I don't see why you don't just use the Wii Opera browser to find an online chess site and make that your homepage.

It's worth £20 to not have to explain how that works to my 78 year old Granddad. :lol

Seriously though, he's been hooked on PC Risk for a year since I got him that last Xmas, so now I can get him into a digital version of his all time favorite thing to force small children to loose horribly to him at - Chess.

Hopefully with a turn at a time play mode so that I can play games against him over weeks and secretly get better by playing the inevitable training mode.

loosus

Banned
Just looked at the videos.

It's even more low-budget than I expected -- much, much more so than Wii Sports or Wii Play. Anything more than $9.99 is really a rip off. :\

No6

nli10 said:
It's worth £20 to not have to explain how that works to my 78 year old Granddad. :lol

Seriously though, he's been hooked on PC Risk for a year since I got him that last Xmas, so now I can get him into a digital version of his all time favorite thing to force small children to loose horribly to him at - Chess.
If your pap-pap can play PC Risk then I'm pretty sure he can click on the internet browser and click on the shortcut you set up for him. I also don't see kids swooning over the idea of playing such a low-budget style of chess; if it had Pikachu out the wazoo I could see it attracting them long enough to learn.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wow this looks even shittier than I could imagine. Yahoo Chess is as nice looking and fully featured, is free, and isn't region-locked. It doesn't even look clean or intuitive like Wii Sports.

TURD.

mrkgoo

nli10 said:

Hopefully with a turn at a time play mode so that I can play games against him over weeks and secretly get better by playing the inevitable training mode.

No, you're doing it wrong! You get 'better' by secretly inputting his moves against a chess computer.

This thread needs more pictures of the hot Battle Chess queen.

Image20_01.jpg

DAMN! Look at that ass!!

And to the guy who asked who she seduced and then stabbed, it was the king, wasn't it?

MisterHero

Would it be awesome if your Mii was the King?

And if your pawns were Hitlers and Jesuses?

ULTIMATE CUSTOM CHESS :lol

WordAssassin said:

Image20_01.jpg

DAMN! Look at that ass!!

And to the guy who asked who she seduced and then stabbed, it was the king, wasn't it?

Oh jesus, I just had a flashback to rubbing one out to this game.

I had forgotten all about it.

loosus

Banned
RumpledForeskin said:
Oh jesus, I just had a flashback to rubbing one out to this game.

I had forgotten all about it.
:(

Some memories are better suppressed. Especially for those around you. :p

mrkgoo said:
No, you're doing it wrong! You get 'better' by secretly inputting his moves against a chess computer.

I did that!!!

Everybody in my class thought i was a super genius... i would set the strongest setting and win matches in 3 or 4 moves lol

maxmars

No6 said:

Thanks, I'm well aware of what the market has to offer, I actually have (and use) many chess programs, mostly on PC. The ones I'm using the most now are an oldish (but runs very well on my laptop) version of Fritz, numbered nine, Knights on kde and Chessmaster on Ds which is spartan but enjoyable.

Looking at the latest replies seems I don't share tastes with many gaffers about chess. :lol

CTLance

WordAssassin said:

DAMN! Look at that ass!!

Hmmm... I liked BC 4000 (?) quite a bit, too. I remember, a tower (battlemech) beating a pawn (ant-like alien) involved him opening its chest and showing a short movie. "Rambot LDXVIII" or something. The little pawn enjoyed it so much, he jumped up and down with every shot. Until Rambot actually pointed his gun at the pawn and obliterated it, that is.
Or two towers engaging in a weaponry dickwaving contest, with one finally tipping the other over on top of his weapons.

So much stupid fun with such an ancient game.

I just hope Wii chess abandons the stupid DPad interface and implements pointing with the wiimote. Oh yeah, and 30 bucks ia a bit steep, but if it's good... maybe. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst, as usual.

v0yce

maxmars said:
Thanks, I'm well aware of what the market has to offer, I actually have (and use) many chess programs, mostly on PC. The ones I'm using the most now are an oldish (but runs very well on my laptop) version of Fritz, numbered nine, Knights on kde and Chessmaster on Ds which is spartan but enjoyable.

Looking at the latest replies seems I don't share tastes with many gaffers about chess. :lol

So what about it looks appealing to you?

Top Bottom