• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii encoded video

TAYREL713

So we all know the Wii use a mighty ghey video standard. Where can I find video like this (mjpeg) to check out? More National Geographic than Playboy please.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
hooked_on_phonics.jpg

hirokazu

TAYREL713 said:
So we all know the Wii use a mighty ghey video standard. Where can I find video like this (mjpeg) to check out? More National Geographic than Playboy please.

didn't someone post a link to Nintendo that listed a bunch of formats from different cameras that the Wii supported? That included MPEG4, H263, and others... why has no one experimented with settings for those formats to see what the Wii could do rather than stick with MJPEG?

Nin10do

Maybe someone could help me with that video program it wont let me use the file after it encodes it what am i doing wrong?

My Nikon Coolpix S5 saves movies in a format that plays on Wii. I'd venture to guess that videos from cameras with an SD slot would work on Wii.

japtor

hirokazu said:
didn't someone post a link to Nintendo that listed a bunch of formats from different cameras that the Wii supported? That included MPEG4, H263, and others... why has no one experimented with settings for those formats to see what the Wii could do rather than stick with MJPEG?
yeah, but he was missing the column header. one of them was something like 'supported' or 'working'. all the mjpeg ones were 'OK' and all the others (mp4, h.263, etc) were all 'NO'.

until they update it to play more formats, mjpeg is the only option right now. either that or wii homebrew gets goin.

gprime

krypt0nian said:

I've read this thread a few times already and I swear every time I read that as "Homo Sex is In!" I thought they were trying to get a fad going or something. "Come on... everybodys doing it!"

fresquito

So has anyone tested is there's a time limit for videos or how good they look on the Wii? It'd be interesting if you could see a whole film there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
EternalDarko said:
Here's an encoder made directly for the Wii's format.
http://www.redkawa.com/videoconverters/wiivideo9/

I've not used it though since I don't have a Wii yet, that op isn't until December.

it'd be nice if they'd just release one application that has all their other applications inside it. I have a 360, PSP, PS3, phone that supports mp4, wii is coming, don't have an ipod but might. I don't want to download a separate app for each of them.

dock

That Wii Video 9 program requites .NET installing. :(

I'd really like to know if MPEG4 works on the Wii, as some people are suggesting.

The Quicktime format (.mov) is supported. Is that just another name for motion jpeg or something? Not too sure on all of the different movie formats.

Terrell

GoldenEye 007 said:
The Quicktime format (.mov) is supported. Is that just another name for motion jpeg or something? Not too sure on all of the different movie formats.
.mov is like .avi, acting as a "container" format, seperating audio/visual content and allowing for different encoding methods for multiple data types. Basically, you can encode a .mov file with any codec you see fit.

empanada

Sho Nuff said:
They are using MOTION JPEG for the standard!?!?

What is it, 1998?
To be fair, its meant to play back digital camera videos, most of which use MJPEG codec. It wasn't intended for playing movies.

Top Bottom