• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii European Launch: Dec 8, 249 Euros

Aurora

Rocked said:
Oh please. £179 for a console with a game and online out of the box is hardly that much. o_O
Let's analyse the price for a second shall we:

Australia: $399.95 = £160
Europe: €249 = £167
United Kingdom = £179

All three are PAL territories. All three feature the exact same bundle.

Yeah you're right, I'm being unreasonable here.

Ajax

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
Everyone knows. Was mentioning you can get multiple games not enough? Besides which, its not a console -- 360 is, and with the 360 having an expensive WiFi peripheral out there on sale, thats where the comparison should lie.

Every post I make is some pro-Nintendo anti-Sony conspiracy to you. I'd put you on ignore but no doubt I'd have to read you being quoted. Why do you even go in Nintendo threads?

I don't know I guess to see Nintendo fans try to spin PSP prices to make them more comparable to Wii's price. And to answer seriously I guess maybe because I still kinda care about Nintendo although I don't want to admit it.

Every post I make is some pro-Nintendo anti-Sony conspiracy to you.

Looking to your post history I'd say that's pretty accurate.

Ajax

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
Pro Nintendo =/= Anti Sony

Take it to PMs if you wanna discuss any further.

I got nothing to discuss. It's not the first time you spin to make a Sony related product-service-anything look bad.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Aurora said:

United Kingdom = £179

So compared to our frog-eating friends over the channel we are paying an extra 12 quid.

You'll live.

Rocked

Aurora said:

United Kingdom = £179

Is 20 quid such a big deal though? I guess I'm used to rip-off Britain. :)

maxmars

Aurora said:

United Kingdom = £179

Perhaps your power plugs cost a lot of money to manufacture?

F#A#Oo

Banned
Aurora said:

United Kingdom = £179

Hmm then get your Wii from France and use the saving of £12.99 to also get a Classic controller too from France...

See I just saved you about £14.99...

You can thank me later...:) Tah...

Furoba

Mr. TV Goggles said:
That's interesting, because:

249 Euros = 315.8814 U.S. dollars

Guys shoulda accepted the Euro when you had the chance. :D

Correction, the UK signed a treaty were it has to adopt the Euro, but there was never a deadline put forward, so it depends on the UK population wether or not (and when) the UK will step on board.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Furoba said:
Correction, the UK signed a treaty were it has to adopt the Euro, but there was never a deadline put forward, so it depends on the UK population wether or not (and when) the UK will step on board.

NEVER!!!!!

Labour, I mean Gordon Brown has made those 5 economic tests that have to be passed before a referendum can even be held...:lol And with Gordon Brown succeeding Tony...it ain't going to happen under any labour government.

Burnst

Dec. 8?

Let's hope we celebrate late:

sint-pc.jpg

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Chittagong said:
That's it, I left my e-mail address to DVD Boxoffice so that they can notify when the US Wii is available for preorder... did the same thing to PS3 too.

somebodys a sucker for punishment.

"your order is pending"

nine months later

"your order is pending"

2 more months "**** YOU GUYS I CANCEL MY ORDER"

"thankyou for shopping with dvdboxoffice, if there is anything further we can do for you don't hesitate to contact us"

worst SITE EVAR

quetz67

Banned
Jokeropia said:
Ok this is just ridulous. Explain to me how "better than Xbox" becomes "worse than PS2".
I dont say PS2 hardware is better than PS2 hardware. But in the beginning 1st gen Wii games go against whatever gen PS2 games. And many games on Wii dont even try to look very good.

Anyway, the difference between a good looking Wii game and a good looking PS2 wont be noticed by the casual gamer. Only the higher resolution and higher res textures of the two real next gen consoles will make a difference to the untrained eye.

fresquito

quetz67 said:
I dont say PS2 hardware is better than PS2 hardware. But in the beginning 1st gen Wii games go against whatever gen PS2 games. And many games on Wii dont even try to look very good.

Anyway, the difference between a good looking Wii game and a good looking PS2 wont be noticed by the casual gamer. Only the higher resolution and higher res textures of the two real next gen consoles will make a difference to the untrained eye.
The untrained it is untrained because doesn't give a shit about graphics.

Kroole

Aurora said:

United Kingdom = £179

Different VATs, different currencies. Also blame the British pound. It's the same story over here.
2500 SEK (might even be more expensive)
= 182.784 GBP PALOMGBBQ!

Jokeropia

quetz67 said:
I dont say PS2 hardware is better than [Wii] hardware. But in the beginning 1st gen Wii games go against whatever gen PS2 games.
So? 1st gen Wii games should at least match whatever gen GC games, which beat their respective PS2 gen. (Unless you're referring to simplistic style games like Wario Ware and Wii Sports, in which case you probably missed the point with them.)

Lets do some really crappy maths based on a 22 year old workin a crappy minimum wage job

Australia:
The current minimum wage for full or part time employees of over 21 in Australia is $13.27 AUD per hour
Time taken to afford a Wii = 30 hours

Canada:
minimum hourly wages vary from CAD$6.70 to CAD$8.00
Time taken to afford a wii = between 35 hours and 41 hours

France:
The current (July 2006) minimum wage in France is set at 8.27€ (EUR) per hour
Time taken to afford a Wii = 30hours

Ireland:
€7.65 per hour for workers with more than two years experience over the age of eighteen.
Time taken to afford a wii = 32hours

Japan:
Minimum wage ranges from 606 yen to 710 yen per hour set on a regional (prefectural) and industry basis.
Time taken to afford a wii = between 35 hours and 41 hours

Netherlands:
€1,264 per month (the amount is less for those 22 years old or younger) - if you work on a 40 hour working week and 4 weeks in a month just to make things easy - per hr = €7.90
Time taken to afford a wii = 31 hours

UK:
The current minimum wage in the UK for adults aged 22 or older is £5.05 going up to £5.35 next month
Time taken to afford a wii = 35hours now or 33 hours from october onwards

USA:
The current federal minimum wage is now $5.15 an hour
Time taken to afford a wii = 48hours

Based on this the ones with the most reason to bitch are the Americans, and the ones with the least the Australians and French.

Now I know this is not perfect maths, and that the best way to do this would be to use average wages.. but this is a HELL of a lot better than just converting currencies without taking account ANYTHING about the differences in economy between the various countries, or the fact that the Euro and UK prices contain TAX and the American on does not.

UK's VAT and additional shipping import tax costs are why we pay more, but it'll go down before launch. 2 people pre-ordered a Wii in front of me in Game today. so its gonna sell regardless.

Snow

Captain AHat, I know you made the caveat that average wage is what really should be used, but still, I wanted to point out what to me seems to be the reason your numbers came out the way they did for the US. :)

You're trying to compare living standards here. Considering how far out of wack US minimum wage is with US living standards, compared to other countries minimum wages and their living standards, that's mostly what's attributable for the big discrepancy you see. I think.

Rocked said:
You must be bored Captain. :D

It did seem the Americans were most outraged by the price. :)

VERY! haha :D

Snow said:
Captain AHat, I know you made the caveat that average wage is what really should be used, but still, I wanted to point out what to me seems to be the reason your numbers came out the way they did for the US.

You're trying to compare living standards here. Considering how far out of wack US minimum wage is with US living standards, compared to other countries minimum wages and their living standards, that's mostly what's attributable for the big discrepancy you see. I think.

Oh totally, i know the maths are FAR from perfect, I was just really trying to make the point that simply converting the currency with xe.com or something is NOT the way to do it. :)

Xzbeat

Captain AHat said:
USA:
The current federal minimum wage is now $5.15 an hour
Time taken to afford a wii = 48hours

Based on this the ones with the most reason to bitch are the Americans, and the ones with the least the Australians and French.
I didn't know the minimum wages were only $5 in the US. It's good to be french. :D

Rayne.S

Banned
mr_sockochris said:
180.00 GBP = 338.678 USD

And just like that all the pathetic $249 moaning from people here is made to look even more stupid than it already did.

Would everybody please stop converting foreign currency to your own, its just not acurate...

Today the dollar is worth far less then 4 years ago. Economy might bloom and the dollar might be worth far more next year. So comparing the relative cheap dollar to the mighty pound says more about the dollar than about the pound or euro for that matter.

$249 / E249 just means that either country pays the same in their currency conversionrate notwithstanding !

fushi

Question: has NoE announced a launch line-up yet? Cause all I can find is this quote from their website, which is being copy-pasted everywhere else:
Accompanying the console launch will be around 20 software titles including Wii Play and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and from third party publishers launch games include: Ubisoft’s RED STEEL, EA’s Need for Speed: Carbon, Activision’s Tony Hawk’s Downhill Jam, THQ’s Disney/ Pixar’s Cars and Sega’s Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz.

Top Bottom