• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii European Launch: Dec 8, 249 Euros

PipBoy

Banned
Zer0 said:
wtf ppl

nintendo is the new apple,they can crunch any old tech in a new box,they can charge anything they want,put some flashy adds,some cool motto and their fanbase will got nuts
Apple, Nintendo, Blizzard ... there's a reason why they win all internet poll, for their fanbase, they're nearly a religion.

Rocked

travisbickle said:
you can get a PSP for £150 with a game or two, a DS and a game for £110.

So what? I don't understand these kind of useless comparisons.

"I can buy a GameCube with 5 games for £150!"

SantaC

Chittagong said:
That's it, I left my e-mail address to DVD Boxoffice so that they can notify when the US Wii is available for preorder... did the same thing to PS3 too.

:lol

DVD boxoffice. They're slow as hell. Sorry :/

Rocked

ziran said:
uk price is expensive, but it isn't surprising.

is that the wii party game, hajimete no wii?

it includes shooting, table tennis, air hockey, pool, quiz and fishing, which sounds awesome!

Yes it is.

I just hate how they tell us in every european Pressconference that Nintendogs is selling so much better in europe than in every other country. Or that Brain Training is selling so much faster in europe than in japan. And what is the reward for us europeans? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

At least we're getting it this year, unlike PS3. Nintendo's definitely getting better here. The GameCube days were a nightmare and let us not speak about N64 under THE Games... :lol

Dizzy

Banned
A little much in my opinion. Wii sports look like a budget priced game, £20.

I don't mind having old technology, but the price should match it. In 2002 Nintendo gave us GC with Rogue Leader which pretty much crapped on most games. It only cost £129.99

Now 4 and a half years later, we get a much smaller upgrade in quality than we did from N64 - GC, and yet they charge more for it.

X360 core is only £20 more, and it's way more powerful. Are we paying that price just for the ideas behind it? or "teh innovation"?

PSP at £169.99 - Base pack with two cheap games. (No Memory Stick), or a Value Pack and a game.

VS

Wii at £179.99 - new controller style / wireless control + bundled game + built in Wifi

VS

360 Core pack at £199 - More powerful hardware capable of HD resolutions but without wireless controller, HDD, Headset or cable bundled in the premium box.

People who already have 360s have an easier choice. I'm still definately picking a Wii up at launch but part of me knows the price isn't quite right. They just knew they could get away with it. The 360 core pack to premium ratio is in their favour, the import duty you'd get walloped with is in their favour, the PS3 being delayed is in their favour.

Oh and silly Argos :p

quetz67

Banned
Zer0 said:
dude,they can sell the thing at 200 euros with the game and still get money

but no.the evil corporations who squeeze consumers are sony or microsoft..wtf man
wait if people buy it at that price

I personally wont, I'd rather pay 600 Euros for PS3 because I know the tech inside justifies the price. Would be different if I didnt own a cube, but 250 euros for a new controller is too much.

I dont think people are stupid, they buy the latest $500 graphics cards, but they dont pay $200 for only 2 years old ones.

Rocked said:
Yes it is.

At least we're getting it this year, unlike PS3. And we got DS Lite before Japan and America I believe. Nintendo's definitely getting better here. The GameCube days were a nightmare and let us not speak about N64 under THE Games... :lol

What?

My condolences Europe. Knowing these guys they'll find a way to screw over people who import the system.

"What? Region-free? We said that?"
"No you can't go online in Europe with a Japanese/American system."
"Wiimotes held by Europeans cause battery acid to leak onto their hands."

Sorry I'm just being silly and dumb.

quetz67

Banned
Dizzy said:
A little much in my opinion. Wii sports look like a budget priced game, £20.

I don't mind having old technology, but the price should match it. In 2002 Nintendo gave us GC with Rogue Leader which pretty much crapped on most games. It only cost £129.99

Now 4 and a half years later, we get a much smaller upgrade in quality than we did from N64 - GC, and yet they charge more for it.

X360 core is only £20 more, and it's way more powerful. Are we paying that price just for the ideas behind it? or "teh innovation"?
They think everyone will compare the price to PS3/360 and find it is cheap. But they still have to fight the PS2 (with games looking better than most Wii games).

I'll wait for MP3 and RE Wii until purchase and play Zelda on my Cube

Chittagong

Gold Member
Rocked said:
And we got DS Lite before Japan and America I believe. Nintendo's definitely getting better here.

Coming up with reasons for the years of abuse is one thing, kinda like Stockholm syndrome. But making shit up, that's something else!

ziran

Rocked said:
Yes it is.
awesome!! :D

does anyone know more about the region free bit? is it like the ds where you set your locale when you first start the console?

and has there been any word on 50/60hz options/rgb out/cables etc?

lamotia

Oh come on guys. Everyone was expecting that. It's a common practice - the prices in US are the same in EU except that they are in EURO. We Europeans are like cows that are ready to be milked. I've grown resistance to this already so I suggest you do the same. Since the platform is region free you should be able to get one from the US by a friend.

Rocked

Chittagong said:
Coming up with reasons for the years of abuse is one thing, kinda like Stockholm syndrome. But making shit up, that's something else!

Never mind, I was thinking of something else. :S

fresquito

quetz67 said:
They think everyone will compare the price to PS3/360 and find it is cheap. But they still have to fight the PS2 (with games looking better than most Wii games).

I'll wait for MP3 and RE Wii until purchase and play Zelda on my Cube
No, they think many people wasn't interested in videogames, and they want to attract those people to buy a Wii.

SantaC

Chittagong said:
Slow? Eh, I've always got my stuff within a week from Canada to Finland. I guess I've been lucky.

ok maybe they have gotten better. I used them like 3 years ago, and I had to wait like mad on my stuff. But yeah it was a long time ago.

Zer0

Banned
fresquito said:
Where do you get your info from? Are you aware when you buy a console, you're not only paying for the components, but also for I+D? Not that I think is a good price, but I don't get why you think the Wii is so cheap to produce, when it's had some serious I+D behind.

sure the 360 at 300 euros got the same I+d than the wiii

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
SantaC said:
ok maybe they have gotten better. I used them like 3 hours ago, and I had to wait like mad on my stuff. But yeah it was a long time ago.
My god I thought I was impatient.

Tieno

It's rape, but still not as bad as the days before the euro where every european country had their own currency and they charged ridicolous prices. Now with the euro vs dollar it's much more transparant. Still rape though (on game prices more than on console prices). That goes for every console.

fresquito

Zer0 said:
sure the 360 at 300 euros got the same I+d than the wiii
Everybody can see at first glance what console has had the biggest I+D input.

I don't know REAL data, but it's not hard to imagine they'd be selling the Wii at a loss if they had gone the 200€ routte, taxes included.

Wink

Yeah... in the end I think the price will hurt Nintendo more than the 50 bucks they squeeze out of early adopters could possibly do any good.
I just don't see anyone jumping on board but the hardcore and from my point of view that's a huge mistake. Everything in the package is sleek, nice, family friendly and what not, but the price is NOT 'mass market ready from day one' as Reggie said.

Though kudos to NoE for keeping their promise to launch 2006, I'll pick one up at launch.

Rocked said:
So what? I don't understand these kind of useless comparisons.

"I can buy a GameCube with 5 games for £150!"

But the DS and PSP are relevant gaming products, ie. supported, that will have a lot of top games coming to them over the next few years and are convenient for the casual gamer.

radiohead said:
PSP at £169.99 - Base pack with two cheap games. (No Memory Stick), or a Value Pack and a game.

VS

Wii at £179.99 - new controller style / wireless control + bundled game + built in Wifi

Look around you'll get a deal on PSP, didn't GAF tell you they weren't selling so shops are trying to give them away.

I had a morning browse on the highstreet a few weeks ago in Glasgow and got..
A PSP with Loco Roco and Daxter for £150 and a 512mb stick for £20, and usb adaptor, screen protectors and case £10.

So that's a portable games/movie/music player with built in wifi, web browser and location free tv player for £180 (and I haven't talked about retro gaming on it)

Same price as a Wii with one game, do we know if it plays dvds or browses web at that price, and you'll have to buy flash memory on top of that if you want to save games.

It's not good value at that price, and there are alternatives for casual gamers, which I'd say is the market Ninty are going for.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Bundle a console with a game thats near pointless in single player then make everyone pay out the ass for a second controller.

Add to that everyones going to be buying Zelda anyway.

Nint£ndo FTW.

Tieno said:
It's rape, but still not as bad as the days before the euro where every european country had their own currency and they charged ridicolous prices. Now with the euro vs dollar it's much more transparant. Still rape though (on game prices more than on console prices). That goes for every console.
How is it rape on game prices?
MSRP of gurrent gen games is £40. Street price comes to £34.99 and online price is £29.99. I expect Wii will be exactly the same....with budget pricing for Wii moniker series of titles being abour £20 to 25.

Mmmkay

arghsighjq9.gif
Sums up my feelings fairly adequately. At £180 it's £30 overpriced, and Dec 8th is bloody late in my opinion. But it doesn't matter because I'm getting the damn thing anyway.

Mrbob

xhadoukenx said:
Bundle a console with a game thats near pointless in single player then make everyone pay out the ass for a second controller.

Add to that everyones going to be buying Zelda anyway.

Nint£ndo FTW.

Ohhh this is a new one!

Anyway, it is funny to see the different reaction between Euro gamers and American gamers at GAF. Of course Euro gamers are used to be continuously beat down by respective companies so the affect may have worn off and it is just accepted.

ziran

travisbickle said:
It's not good value at that price, and there are alternatives for casual gamers, which I'd say is the market Ninty are going for.
as much as nintendo wants people to believe their launch spin, like sony and ms:

hardware launches = getting shafted

it's nothing new and it's done because the hardware manufacturers know they can get away with it.

for wii mass market will come a year or so down the line once the early adopters have paid for a good chunk of the r&d and a few spectacular parties/vacations. even miyamoto said their line-up is looking to be very strong after a couple of years, like ds.

Aurora

What the fuck are Nintendo thinking? Not only does the UK get it last but we also have to pay far more. What. The. Fuck.

How can anyone be happy with this news? This is a disaster. ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY POUNDS HOLY SHIT.

bee

hmmm i was hoping that the game prices were rrp of £35-39 but i just checked play.com and they've listed all games as £39.99 , i hope those are placeholder prices . i was thinking play would be selling them for around £30.

StephaneC said:

Is that Tim and Greg?

Was that in Britain? Who is it meant to appeal to? "Loser Tim" and "I can't remember the last time I was ranked for a tournament Greg", pair of idiots, Nintendo is so out of touch.

DSN2K

travisbickle said:
Is that Tim and Greg?

Was that in Britain? Who is it meant to appeal to? "Loser Tim" and "I can't remember the last time I was ranked for a tournament Greg", pair of idiots, Nintendo is so out of touch.

thats a little harsh :lol

Rocked

Aurora said:
How can anyone be happy with this news? This is a disaster. ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY POUNDS HOLY SHIT.

Oh please. £179 for a console with a game and online out of the box is hardly that much. o_O

DSXBoy

Nintendo's pricing strategy for Wii is based on the Japanese market where XBox 360 all but dead. In Europe/UK/USA, the relatively high price of Wii will let XBox 360 take significant sales away from it. Let's not forget that amongst casual gamers the PS2 will be king at £94.99 v Wii's £179.99. Most casual gamers are impressed by price & value rather than technology plus the wide range of games available which definutely favours the PS2. I expect substantial price drop for Wii console in the Spring. After the initial launch hype at Xmas, I expect sales will be very sluggish which will force Nintendo to cut the price. It makes no sense to go after the casual market but price the Wii for the hardcore crowd.

StephaneC

travisbickle said:
Is that Tim and Greg?

yes :) there is more pics about that on jeux-france

Ajax

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:

VS

VS

360 Core pack at £199 - More powerful hardware capable of HD resolutions but without wireless controller, HDD, Headset or cable bundled in the premium box.

People who already have 360s have an easier choice. I'm still definately picking a Wii up at launch but part of me knows the price isn't quite right. They just knew they could get away with it. The 360 core pack to premium ratio is in their favour, the import duty you'd get walloped with is in their favour, the PS3 being delayed is in their favour.

Oh and silly Argos :p

I wonder why you didn't mention the PSP base pack for 149 pounds. Oh and btw it has "built in WiFi" too.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Wink said:
Yeah... in the end I think the price will hurt Nintendo more than the 50 bucks they squeeze out of early adopters could possibly do any good.
I just don't see anyone jumping on board but the hardcore and from my point of view that's a huge mistake. Everything in the package is sleek, nice, family friendly and what not, but the price is NOT 'mass market ready from day one' as Reggie said.

Though kudos to NoE for keeping their promise to launch 2006, I'll pick one up at launch.

Ahmm...console sales are not won in 1 day nor in a month. Nor 6 months. It takes years.

Nintendo have left themselves with enough space to make money and price cut steadily over-time...

It will get a mass-market price as soon as early-adapters and gamers get their units. Then if sales start to drop/slump...price drop, rinse and repeat as required.

Anyways I can't believe you think the Wii price is a mistake...if anything is a pricing mistake it's the PS3...Sony have their work cut out pricing that machine to the mass-market as you say.:D When is it even going to hit sub $300?:lol 2008/2009?

By then PS4 will probably be in development as too the X-Box 720 and Wii-mk-2.

Nintendo will do fine and the Wii price will drop depending on demand...

Ajax said:
I wonder why you didn't mention the PSP base pack for 149 pounds. Oh and btw it has "built in WiFi" too.

Everyone knows. Was mentioning you can get multiple games not enough? Besides which, its not a console -- 360 is, and with the 360 having an expensive WiFi peripheral out there on sale, thats where the comparison should lie.

Every post I make is some pro-Nintendo anti-Sony conspiracy to you. I'd put you on ignore but no doubt I'd have to read you being quoted. Why do you even go in Nintendo threads?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Aurora said:
What the fuck are Nintendo thinking? Not only does the UK get it last but we also have to pay far more. What. The. Fuck.

Aurora, here is what you get for GBP 271:
- Wii console
- 2 Wiimotes & 2 nunchucks
- AV Multi-output port for component, composite or S-video
- Built in Wifi
- Wii Photo
- Meteo Station (the best argument to sell the Wii to your wife :D )

Multiplayer games
- Baseball
- Tennis
- Boxing
- Bowling
- Pool
- Darts
- Ping Pong
- Air Hockey
- Duck Hunt
- Quiz Matching Game, + 4 other Wiiplay games I don't know about

Single player game