• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii - European launch

maxmars

Wes said:
Do you guys think there'll be many WiiPlay's available to pick up too? I forgot to preorder a copy.

I think most additional controller packages will be WiiPlay boxes. At least in the EB Games I got my Wii, there were exactly zero single remotes, but a bunch (read: 6-7) WiiPlay boxes.

The good thing is that WiiPlay comes with its own standard sized, plastic-made DVD case, not just a loose disk or a cardboard thing. You take it out of its box and just put it into your collection of games.

Both my Amazon Wii and game orders still say Dispatching soon. Though I've noticed that my orders with amazon normally say shipped after about 6 or 7pm. Not sure why, I live in Harrow; maybe there's a Warehouse near here or something but if I choose 1st class I almost always get it next day. So hopefully they just haven't got round to shipping my order yet.

painey

i feel kinda excited that tomorrow i'll have a brand new console but i also feel kinda dissapointed that Zelda is the only real game to play for 6+ months

Xavien

Mama Smurf said:
2) The Amazon order might still make it through, but I wouldn't know if I went to Asda now and I definitely can't afford TWO Wiis.

You could always ebay the second one, if you get two, a brand new wii would go for more than the retail price right now. (about £60-70 more)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not allowed mine until christmas day. The upside is the woman has also said I'm not allowed to purchase my own christmas present, so no launch hassles and hunting for me. I'm going to stroll around buying copies of monkey ball, wii play and zelda in the next 2 weeks, at least I should get my console with component cables!

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Does anyone know if my order would even go to dispatching soon if there was a problem with my bank account? That'd be a weight off my mind.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
GAAAAAAAF

MY WII IS IN MLITON KEYNES
MY WII IS 20 MILES AWAY

MY GAMES ARE AT THE POST OFFICE

I LOVE AMAZON'S TRACKING SERVICE

painey

wow the Wii is going for a £60 markup on ebay.. im tempted to sell mine.. mind you i have low feedback so i doubt anyone would buy it.. bah by the time i get mine tomorrow the market will be flooded anyway. I'll keep it and just wait for component cables :(

r4z4

Just spoke to HMV regarding the special tin edition Zelda game. Nintendo are bringing them into the store and there will not be 200 of them, so of the lucky 200 who have wristbands, even some of those will not be able to get hold of a copy.

Milpool

McBacon said:
GAAAAAAAF

MY WII IS IN MLITON KEYNES
MY WII IS 20 MILES AWAY

MY GAMES ARE AT THE POST OFFICE

I LOVE AMAZON'S TRACKING SERVICE

Mine was dispatched early this morning and still no tracking info available, both through amazon.co.uk and parcelforce.com.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Milpool said:
Mine was dispatched early this morning and still no tracking info available, both through amazon.co.uk and parcelforce.com.

Mines through CityLink... how odd!

Mama Smurf

I think I'll just sell Zelda if I don't get a Wii, one with 3 hours left on ebay is already past the £50 mark.

painey

i ordered 2 seperate things from amazon.com last month both sent by parcelforce

edit: ARGH! I just realised my Dreamcast is coming tomorrow! I will be torn what to play.. Zelda Wii or Shenmue DC.. standard def gaming at its finest

Just to update, my Wii has just been dispatched but my games still say Dispatching Soon. Those that are still waiting, check your accounts now. It's possible that two different warehouses were handling the shipments so that could be why some people had theirs ship early in the morning.

painey

well i knew my Wii was reserved but I just found out Zelda is reserved for me too :D I just went to Tesco for some milk and there are 5 people queuing at the customer service desk, the guy at the front looks about 40-50 the rest were 20-30, all guys. I asked if they were there for the Wii and they all said yes but i didnt want to have a long conversation. I'd guess most of them are getting them for kids christmas presents as they didnt look much like gamers, but with the Wii.. who knows!?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
I hope I've got the strength of will not to join the queue at my local Tesco on the way home. Got more important things to do with my money right now, but then I thought that about the X360 too... :D

kibitzer said:
Just spoke to HMV regarding the special tin edition Zelda game. Nintendo are bringing them into the store and there will not be 200 of them, so of the lucky 200 who have wristbands, even some of those will not be able to get hold of a copy.
It's not just the 200 though - it's the pre-order guys aswell isn't it? Or do they automatically get it?

Personally, I'm not fussed on the tin - would be nice, but I'm just gonna be glad to get the Wii this side of Christmas!

Aurora said:
Who else is attending the pre-launch party in London? :D
Yeah, I'll be around... Mainly to get the Wii, but might aswell join the festivites aswell. The 'celebrities' are dire though! Woulda much prefered it if they had Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski like they did at the European press conference.

Roklie

How many VC games are available at the moment and was it easy to connect to the internet? I have no idea how I'm going to do it since we don't have a wireless (yet), but is it still possible to browse the wiishop channel regardless of it being offline?

mrwilt

Aurora said:
Who else is attending the pre-launch party in London? :D

Is it anywhere close to where the tornado touched down? Weird weather you guys are having right now. Hope everyone is ok.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
So I went to my local real tonight to get some bananas and noticed opened cardboard boxes in an isle. Behold, 2 nintendo wii! I asked an employee if I could buy one and she said yes, so I picked one up and headed for the registers. However some dude came running and stopped me. He took my wii from me :(

However, they reserved it for me until tomorrow. Yay!

sharkie

Why couldn't they just have a lineup for the HMV midnight launch at least if they did I would congratulate the people that toughed out the dreary weather, this way I'm just miffed that they've been giving away wrist straps for days and the only ran out at 11.30 am this morning argh so disappointing, anyways congratulations to the Gaffers that got through I hope you guys have fun tonight.

mrwilt said:
Is it anywhere close to where the tornado touched down? Weird weather you guys are having right now. Hope everyone is ok.
Nah! I did get caught in the tailend of it on my way home. I was happily walking along and suddenly got hit by a deluge of rain, hail, lightning and attacked by wind. It was so bad I found it funny... Wasn't quite so funny and found out a few miles ago where I'd changed tubes earlier, had had doors ripped off hinges and trees uprooted!

Dascu

I preordered one a month ago, but apparently, the store isn't getting enough units, so even my preorder won't suffice. The store clerk claimed he's getting a new shipment next week. I hope it's true. :(

EternalDarko said:
Both my Amazon Wii and game orders still say Dispatching soon. Though I've noticed that my orders with amazon normally say shipped after about 6 or 7pm. Not sure why, I live in Harrow; maybe there's a Warehouse near here or something but if I choose 1st class I almost always get it next day. So hopefully they just haven't got round to shipping my order yet.

Oh shit, thats really close to me dude. I live in Edgware.

So how many other people live in North London or even Greater London? What a small world we live in.

sharkie

the thoroughbred said:

So how many other people live in North London or even Greater London? What a small world we live in.

Covent Gardens here.

Aurora

sharkie said:
Why couldn't they just have a lineup for the HMV midnight launch at least if they did I would congratulate the people that toughed out the dreary weather, this way I'm just miffed that they've been giving away wrist straps for days and the only ran out at 11.30 am this morning argh so disappointing, anyways congratulations to the Gaffers that got through I hope you guys have fun tonight.
The original plan was to allow people to queue at 10am. Instead, because there were already loads of people waiting they just started taking down names and pictures to clear space for more people (this started at approximately 8am). By 10am (when they were supposed to officially start) they had given all 200 slots to people.

Depending on your position in the list, you are given a time to go to HMV to get your wristband which will grant you access to the party come 11pm.

If I were you I would hang around HMV at midnight. There will likely be at least one unit not sold due to person not turning up or whatever other difficulty. Otherwise you could try a 24 hour supermarket as suggested before. Good luck!

altaz

Neo Member
Another Londoner, currently residing in Beckton. I am really hoping that ASDA don't screw me over as I am not going to be doing any lining up (My name is on their list for 7am pickup).

Gav

Bugger.

Ive just had the bombshell dropped that i'm not able to get to mine till Xmas day.
Managed to wangle my parents to get me it as an Xmas gift, backfired!

I'm gonna have Zelda and Wii Play sitting there, taunting me for a couple of weeks now :(

scarybore

Lol, I just saw the Wii on the Scottish news where someone said they were looking forward to it because "the graphics are better than the systems already out". Then they also for some strange reason snuck in some Heavenly Sword footage. :lol

Anyways, I wish all those trying to get a Wii tonight good luck. If its anything like in Japan or North America then it may be quite hard to get your hands on one straight away.

the thoroughbred said:

Yeah that is pretty close.

AdamChrisH said:
Haha I'm in Harrow too!
Even closer lol. I'm in South Harrow, near Ruislip. Where abouts are you?

tehrafe

Roklie said:
How many VC games are available at the moment and was it easy to connect to the internet? I have no idea how I'm going to do it since we don't have a wireless (yet), but is it still possible to browse the wiishop channel regardless of it being offline?

It was easy as pie to connect to the net with the wifi usb dongle...

For now you can buy the following:

Altered Beast (800 points)
Bomberman '93 (600 points)
Bonk's Adventure (600 points)
Donkey Kong (500 points)
Donkey Kong Country (800 points)
Dungeon Explorer (600 points)
Ecco The Dolphin (800 points)
F-Zero (800 points)
Golden Axe (800 points)
Mario Bros (500 points)
Sonic The Hedgehog (800 points)
Super Mario 64 (1000 points)
Super Star Soldier (600 points)
The Legend Of Zelda (500 points)
Victory Run (600 points)
Wario's Woods (500 points)

and you probably can't browse it if you are offline

EternalDarko said:
Even closer lol. I'm in South Harrow, near Ruislip. Where abouts are you?
More the South Kenton side - by my address I'm classed as being in Wembley, yet I'm closer to Harrow, if that makes any sense.

guise

Whoa whoa whoa, whats all this about a tin collectors edtion of zelda??

Is this being released at any other places aside from HMV?

Roklie

tehrafe said:
It was easy as pie to connect to the net with the wifi usb dongle...

For now you can buy the following:

Altered Beast (800 points)
Bomberman '93 (600 points)
Bonk's Adventure (600 points)
Donkey Kong (500 points)
Donkey Kong Country (800 points)
Dungeon Explorer (600 points)
Ecco The Dolphin (800 points)
F-Zero (800 points)
Golden Axe (800 points)
Mario Bros (500 points)
Sonic The Hedgehog (800 points)
Super Mario 64 (1000 points)
Super Star Soldier (600 points)
The Legend Of Zelda (500 points)
Victory Run (600 points)
Wario's Woods (500 points)

and you probably can't browse it if you are offline
So the thing of only like five games at the launch and different games in different countries was a rumour. I don't have a wifi dongle, but does the computer have to be in the same room with the Wii to connect to the net? I have no idea how this works either, I seriously hope it will be as easy as people have said it to be.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
It seems the success of Wii hasn't gone unnoticed here in Denmark. Today the largest electronics chain in the country is having a midnight launch at its premier store in Copenhagen. This may not sound like a big deal but when you consider that they haven't carried Nintendo products since sometime before GBA (you can't even buy DS games there!) it's undoubtedly a significant event.

Now I'm sure Bergsala, the Scandinavian Nintendo distributor, is footing the bill but even so it seems that Wii could be a new beginning for Nintendo in Scandinavia. Too bad they skimped on advertising. I just heard of the event today.

Fona 2000, as the store is called, will even have a dedicated Wii area (apparently the only one in all of Scandinavia). While I'm not terribly interested in Wii it'll be interesting to try it.

Mama Smurf

My Wii has been dispatched, crisis averted. Can't seem to track it, but someone else couldn't with Parcelforce too so I'm not worried.

It'll be just typical if it turns up during the hour I'm out at a doctor's appointment tomorrow though.

Luken

43c7s00.jpg

Why everyone call Wii the virtual console?

Who is this blond dude? Why is he so popular in here? And why many people have an avatar about him?

Can someone clarify this for me?

Mama Smurf said:
My Wii has been dispatched, crisis averted. Can't seem to track it, but someone else couldn't with Parcelforce too so I'm not worried.

It'll be just typical if it turns up during the hour I'm out at a doctor's appointment tomorrow though.
Mine can't be tracked either, Parcelforce here too. Normally i've found that a Parcelforce package arrives in the early morning for me, around 8 - 9 since there's a depot close by.

Luken, the Wii isn't called the Virtual Console. That is one of it's main features; it allows the user to play past console games (NES, SNES, N64, MegaDrive, Turbogfx and maybe more) through the use of an emulator system dubbed the VC.

Top Bottom