• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Fit U | OT | Don't Forget to Breathe!

maxcriden

Okay, time to get real up in here, FitGAF:

I just did my body test and have gained 6 lbs. Big time disappointment. In my unhealthy self-rationalization, I did eat much more than I normally would today, as it was the Thanksgiving party at work and there was lots of food. Typically I have cereal or leftovers for lunch so this was an anomaly. I also want to rationalize to myself that my starting weight was probably 3-4 lbs low given I weighed myself when I was just getting over an illness. Still. I'm disappointed in myself because I really haven't been doing Wii Fit nearly as much as I should be. I'm in VT so it's really getting too chilly for exercise and with my exercise-induced asthma it's more fun to exercise indoors. (I don't really like how jittery my inhaler makes me feel.)

Anyway, I just did 30 mins and it feels good. I broke a sweat or two doing some Puzzle Squash. (Aostia, any pointers? My high score on regular is 1100 or so.) I really need to keep at this though and at minimum be doing it every weekday. It helps a lot with my migraines when I exercise so I need to think of it this way too. My BMI is 24ish so it's *just* in the normal range but I would really like to be 15+ lbs lighter. I also haven't been eating quite as healthily and I really need to watch out for that. Okay. That's it for now. Thanks for reading!

Okay, time to get real up in here, FitGAF:

Ideally, you should weight yourself during the same time of the day for each measurement (with similar clothes and shoes)

Also, Wii Fit U allows you to record your waist measurement, and it can keep track of it along with the other charts (like your weight). This can be very helpful alongside your weight measurement, or even by itself.

maxcriden

Ideally, you should weight yourself during the same time of the day for each measurement (with similar clothes and shoes)

Also, Wii Fit U allows you to record your waist measurement, and it can keep track of it along with the other charts (like your weight). This can be very helpful alongside your weight measurement, or even by itself.

Thanks amigo. I will be weighing myself at pretty much the same time. I don't think I should do it every day though because I don't want to be *too* obsessive about it, given normal daily weight fluctuations. If I can find a tape ruler I'll do my waist, that's a good idea, thanks.

Thanks amigo. I will be weighing myself at pretty much the same time. I don't think I should do it every day though because I don't want to be *too* obsessive about it, given normal daily weight fluctuations. If I can find a tape ruler I'll do my waist, that's a good idea, thanks.

Wake up. Go to bath room. Weigh yourself. Move on. Its my routine.

maxcriden

Wake up. Go to bath room. Weigh yourself. Move on. Its my routine.

It's a good routine and good idea, but as I said, the daily weight fluctuations are just going to concern me too much. I'll read into nothing. I think it's better for me to space them out a bit for a more accurate reading. (Plus I'm kind of rushing out the door in the morning and don't have time to set up Wii Fit and weigh myself.)

kitsuneyo

It's a good routine and good idea, but as I said, the daily weight fluctuations are just going to concern me too much. I'll read into nothing. I think it's better for me to space them out a bit for a more accurate reading. (Plus I'm kind of rushing out the door in the morning and don't have time to set up Wii Fit and weigh myself.)

I think weight fluctuations are just down to the amount of food in your system. I can guess pretty well now whether I'll have gone up or down each morning. It doesn't matter. The best thing about weighing yourself everyday is it keeps you thinking about what you eating and how much you need to exercise. Bit like carrying the Fit Meter.

maxcriden

I think weight fluctuations are just down to the amount of food in your system. I can guess pretty well now whether I'll have gone up or down each morning. It doesn't matter. The best thing about weighing yourself everyday is it keeps you thinking about what you eating and how much you need to exercise. Bit like carrying the Fit Meter.

That's a good, healthy way to think about it. To be honest, I really think the less time I actually think and obsess about my weight, the better. I need to have a healthier body image relationship to just the concept of my weight and not being so concerned about it, if that makes sense. I do appreciate your suggestion and I think what you're saying makes a lot of sense, I just honestly do not think I am there yet with my own self-image to be comfortable doing that.

Shauni

So, I'm having an issue with the Dance games. I don't think it's the Wii Fit U, but my controller. One of them is fine, but the other one just keeps registering as a snap or whatever pretty much all the time. This controller is actually a regular controller that has the attachment for Wii Motion Plus. Curious, anyone else having this issue?

Lasdrub

I joined the super secret gym, but I don't see anybody else. Does it take a while to update or something?

edit: Nvm I see people now. I'm waiting for it to show who has finished goals now.

That's a good, healthy way to think about it. To be honest, I really think the less time I actually think and obsess about my weight, the better. I need to have a healthier body image relationship to just the concept of my weight and not being so concerned about it, if that makes sense. I do appreciate your suggestion and I think what you're saying makes a lot of sense, I just honestly do not think I am there yet with my own self-image to be comfortable doing that.

The day-to-day weighing will feel like its a bit inconsistent and wishy-washy, but if you keep at it and eating well, you'll see the results over time. Sometimes it'll seem like there's no progress but you just gotta keep at it. You're not gonna drop a decent amount that quick

Lasdrub

Quick question before I head out: Wii Fit U said my meter would play a noise when a goal is completed. What is it talking about? How do I set a goal on my meter?

iphys

Got my Fit Meter today, and I'm a little shocked that it's claiming my walks are such intense exercise. It's telling me I was doing just a bit over 5 METs while walking level, 4-5 METs while descending, and 5-7 METs while ascending, and it claimed I burned 386 Calories in what amounted to about an hour of walking. The weird thing is it actually underestimated the distance I travelled too compared with Google maps. It claims I only travelled 4.14 km in 6432 steps, but I know the actual distance was at least 5 km. Kind of weird that it's underestimating how far I walked yet apparently overestimating how much work I'm doing.

Lasdrub

Got my Fit Meter today, and I'm a little shocked that it's claiming my walks are such intense exercise. It's telling me I was doing just a bit over 5 METs while walking level, 4-5 METs while descending, and 5-7 METs while ascending, and it claimed I burned 386 Calories in what amounted to about an hour of walking. The weird thing is it actually underestimated the distance I travelled too compared with Google maps. It claims I only travelled 4.14 km in 6432 steps, but I know the actual distance was at least 5 km. Kind of weird that it's underestimating how far I walked yet apparently overestimating how much work I'm doing.

I agree it definitely over estimates calories for walks. Some time I'll go to my apartment gym and use the elliptical to compare what each machine predicts the calories at.

It's probably factoring in altitude and all that

...which is still pretty wonky

Chojin

So a bit of an update. I posted it on Miiverse last night but I've lost 6 pounds since november first. Steadily going for 1.5 to 2 pounds a week. And its only three weeks and probably a bit of it is water weight or some crap, but I feel like its doing its job!

Kuntz

What the hell Wii Fit U?

I was ultra motivated from the steady loss weight over the last weeks, then today with the usual weighting I gain 2,3kg.

Feels bad.

...But I won't lose to you, game !

Finished my London course yesterday and my climb of the Eiffel Tower, on to the hard ones now!

Not actually had time to do the exercises recently as been too busy elsewhere. But will get back in to them tomorrow and the weekend! Still been hitting my goals each day just through the walking.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It probably was him. You're right, he's always taking things from me! :(

I really need to step up my game at squash! It's so fun but I am not very good at it yet....

don't know, I've got 4 stars immediately, and keep being on fire!

Btw, I'm a disaster at the jumpin elastic carpet or whatever is called in english....I've jumped up to 270 mt but I've got just 2 stars ;(

Btw, today I should start my first "Fit Meter Challenge"!!!

sakipon

Btw, I'm a disaster at the jumpin elastic carpet or whatever is called in english....I've jumped up to 270 mt but I've got just 2 stars ;(

Try to make the jump when you're at the lowest point on the trampoline. It took me a few times before I understood that game and started getting better scores.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Try to make the jump when you're at the lowest point on the trampoline. It took me a few times before I understood that game and started getting better scores.

thanks!
I've figured it out yesterday, in fact I was able to get the second star, but I really cannot see myself doing better than that...I was tired to death after the game :D

Oidisco

I'm very slowly gaining weight, which is pretty much what I've wanted, though I haven't reached my goal yet. Weighed myself last night and I'm pretty sure its the first time in my life that I've managed to be over 9 Stone.

I'm sure Wii Fit isn't designed to help you gain weight, but I've found it pretty useful. I've built up a surprising amount of muscle in a short time, though that's probably due to being so scrawny that even the smallest muscle gain will seem fairly big.

I'm very slowly gaining weight, which is pretty much what I've wanted, though I haven't reached my goal yet. Weighed myself last night and I'm pretty sure its the first time in my life that I've managed to be over 9 Stone.

I'm sure Wii Fit isn't designed to help you gain weight, but I've found it pretty useful. I've built up a surprising amount of muscle in a short time, though that's probably due to being so scrawny that even the smallest muscle gain will seem fairly big.

What's your routine like?

maxcriden

So, I'm having an issue with the Dance games. I don't think it's the Wii Fit U, but my controller. One of them is fine, but the other one just keeps registering as a snap or whatever pretty much all the time. This controller is actually a regular controller that has the attachment for Wii Motion Plus. Curious, anyone else having this issue?

I think I was having a similar issue. It seems like the Wiimotes with + built in are generally more reliable for + functionality.

The day-to-day weighing will feel like its a bit inconsistent and wishy-washy, but if you keep at it and eating well, you'll see the results over time. Sometimes it'll seem like there's no progress but you just gotta keep at it. You're not gonna drop a decent amount that quick

No, you're right. It's just my own issues coloring my perspective on this. I would like to weigh in daily and not have it be any thing to me, I'm just not there yet.

So a bit of an update. I posted it on Miiverse last night but I've lost 6 pounds since november first. Steadily going for 1.5 to 2 pounds a week. And its only three weeks and probably a bit of it is water weight or some crap, but I feel like its doing its job!

Congrats!

don't know, I've got 4 stars immediately, and keep being on fire!

Btw, today I should start my first "Fit Meter Challenge"!!!

Haha jumping elastic carpet! That is awesome Aostia...you are like a Koppaite with this description! It's a trampoline in America at least. I'm pretty bad at that one. I have been able to get 4 stars on puzzle squash, but not consistently yet. I know I can get much higher scores, too!

Thanks for the tip!

Oidisco

What's your routine like?

I don't have the exact same routine every day, but this is what I aim for:

I start out with a bit of Yoga to relax and stretch all dem muscles, then I start doing exercises that focus on my lower body, like lunges and all the different leg lifts.
Then I start focusing on stomach and back muscles, doing Jackknives, random Yoga stretches and stuff like that.
Most of my time is spent on my arms and chest since thats where I'm weakest, so I've been doing a lot of Parallel stretches and Push-up Challenges (I'm up to 80 reps, though I can't seem to get that high regularly), and I do Tricep extention frequently, though I don't use the Wiimote since it's a bit too light.

I mix in different Yoga excerises between the muscle workouts.
It usually works out at about an hour-hour and a half each day, though sometimes its a half hour since I have problems with my wrists and need to take it easy occasionally.

I also do pull-ups and light wrist curls and outside of Wii Fit.

I probably didn't explain that very well, but that's the generally what I go for every day. I've seen a fairly slow, but steady increase in weight since I started.

maxcriden

Will do.

So if I downloaded it at launch do I have to register the meter by the end of this month or the end of the entire deal?

I think it's by the end of the deal, but I am not certain. I would do it by the end of the month to be on the safe side if you can. Someone more knowledgeable will probably be able to correct me.

maxcriden

My favourite thing in this is the run, but my downstairs neighbour complained to the landlord :(

OMG! That reminds me. I was doing the obstacle course a couple days ago and my downstairs neighbor starts banging repeatedly really hard on the ceiling! So I just stopped. I was pretty surprised. Their extremely pungent food is always wafting its smell up to our apartment, their kids are super loud, and they're always yelling at them. Blergh.

Shauni

I think I was having a similar issue. It seems like the Wiimotes with + built in are generally more reliable for + functionality.

Yeah, this is kind of what I feared. I played some Nintendoland with it, so I could make sure to recalibrate it. Seemed to help a little, but it's still doing it. I may have to cave and just get a controller with built in plus. I was thinking of getting on of the Mario or Luigi controllers.

maxcriden

Yeah, this is kind of what I feared. I played some Nintendoland with it, so I could make sure to recalibrate it. Seemed to help a little, but it's still doing it. I may have to cave and just get a controller with built in plus. I was thinking of getting on of the Mario or Luigi controllers.

One option to consider would be Wii Party U, which is a lot of fun for local multiplayer and comes with a Wiimote+. Mario and Sonic at the Olympics does as well, and that one is on sale at NewEgg right now.

maxcriden

Just did my 30 mins and feeling really good. I did dessert course, hose down, puzzle squash, wall climb, advanced dive, and golf. Advanced dive is just such a great and innovative use of the Gamepad. I beat my high scores in squash and wall climb which feels good.

dkeane

I there a way to make the trainer NOT do the pre exercise explanation and the post exercise congrats?
I could shave lots of minutes off my routine.
Probably just Nintendo being Nintendo and not including the most obvious of options.

Effect

Anyone have any luck with the different rechargeable battery packs for the balance board? Or is it better to just stick with rechargeable batteries?

Lenardo

Banned
i just go to lowes and pick up the utiltech100 pack of AA batteries for 23 bucks....

so update on my yoyo weight loss/get fit march

on week 3 lost 2.3lbs so far. but i AM losing slowly

started at 188.1 and am at 185.8 as of 5:30pm today my weight peaks on monday then drops throughout the week until friday, then peaks -slightly lower- monday...repeat.

my Routine i have programmed in i am trying to do this at least 4 times a week and am trying to get rid of the gut. i have noticed i am getting some definition but not much- yet.

i should do more cardio but:

breathing
half moon
warrior
sun salutation
palm tree
downward facing dog
10 single leg extensions
6 torso twists
20 pushup and side plank
30 jackknife
10 lunge
6 minute hula hoop
beginner rhythm boxing (using 2 wiimote+)
beginner advanced step
advanced rowing
abvanced luge

~47 minutes long

in the mornings m-f i try to do 12 minutes of yoga before showing
routine set i do
breathing
halfmoon
warrior
sun salutation
palm tree
downward facing dog

Shauni

One option to consider would be Wii Party U, which is a lot of fun for local multiplayer and comes with a Wiimote+. Mario and Sonic at the Olympics does as well, and that one is on sale at NewEgg right now.

Oh yeah, I forget that a few games have it bundled with it. Only real problem is I don't do a lot of local multiplayer. Mainly just on really rare occasions, but with Wii Party I see it's only $10 extra dollars. May throw in for that.

Seems like it's been pretty tough to find in stores. I would just Amazon it.

How is this possible? Retailers should have reordered it. The thing launched like a month ago. Is it just that wiiu related things will get ignored on retail? 20 $ for such a small package should be great for retailers right?
Oh yeah, I forget that a few games have it bundled with it. Only real problem is I don't do a lot of local multiplayer. Mainly just on really rare occasions, but with Wii Party I see it's only $10 extra dollars. May throw in for that.

Do it. Its a wonderful party game

maxcriden

Even though it doesn't seem like quite as good of a game, you may want to consider the Mario/Sonic Olympics game, then, as it's on sale and has online play. I think KingSnake has been enjoying it, for one.

How is this possible? Retailers should have reordered it. The thing launched like a month ago. Is it just that wiiu related things will get ignored on retail? 20 $ for such a small package should be great for retailers right?

The thing is, I think only a few select retailers are carrying it. FWIW, my guess is this is because larger retailers like Gamestop would prefer to sell the bundles with the actual game included as they are significantly more expensive.

zigg

For people with no other option, Nintendo of America (US) is selling the Fit Meter in their online store. You'll have to pay shipping and sales tax (if your state has sales tax).

http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wc...&categoryId=&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference
Amazon still has them in stock if you can finagle a free ship (Prime, or with something else.)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FF9MLQW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

(Sales tax, of course, you owe in your state even if Amazon doesn't charge it.)

Top Bottom