• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Fit U | OT | Don't Forget to Breathe!

D-e-f-

Banned
Oh, I thought you had to move the Wiimote and nunchuks... never tried to move myself *facepalm*

Ok, gonna try this tomorrow morning! Just unlocked Super Advanced today... wonder what it's like.

Well it's not Wii Sports Boxing :D

I finally made it to the top of the advanced wall in wall climbing! Those alternating handholds really tripped me up. Woohoo!

That one actually makes me start to sweat a little, hah. I'm trying to make it in good time to get 4 stars. I make good pace on the 2nd half until I get stuck because I try to reach for a hold thats juuuuuuust out of reach and have to rest

So I downloaded the free trial and started up my routine today. I haven't used the original Wii Fit for a few months since my Wii decided to die on me (still trying to see if I can repair it myself - the power on that thing is all kinds of jacked up).

Is the right place to keep my progress updated to share with you folks? I would really like to compare routines with others and see how I'm doing. I'll be buying a meter this weekend and hopefully that will motivate me even further to walk more and run often.

I'll post a screenshot of my chubby Mii tomorrow.
My goal is 22lbs over the next 6 months.

bumpkin

Come to think of it, I'm probably due to weigh in and see if I've met my goal or not. A month ago I set a goal of wanting to lose 3 lbs. I'm at that point where losses are nearly impossible to spot from an appearance standpoint that the only way to know for sure is to get onto a scale. Slowly chipping away on the flab around my waist. It's goin' down, but it's not quite gone yet.

maxcriden

That one actually makes me start to sweat a little, hah. I'm trying to make it in good time to get 4 stars. I make good pace on the 2nd half until I get stuck because I try to reach for a hold thats juuuuuuust out of reach and have to rest

Yes! I feel like this one is more effort than a lot of the other games in the Balance category. I often seem to mis-time the alternating holds so they disappear right when I need them. It's pretty tricky at points. My record is 4:30ish now, as of yesterday, down from 7:00ish the day before. That feels pretty good and like you said you can work up a sweat if you really get into it. Like most Wii Fit games it really comes down to what you put into it.

BTW, are any other NAers in the GAF gym still using it regularly? I only ever see Jody in there anymore, but I'm not sure if my Miiverse/Gym functionality is working properly... (I'm typically on at 4:30 PM or so EST and I used to see lots of fellow GAFers in there....)

chifanpoe

Yes! I feel like this one is more effort than a lot of the other games in the Balance category. I often seem to mis-time the alternating holds so they disappear right when I need them. It's pretty tricky at points. My record is 4:30ish now, as of yesterday, down from 7:00ish the day before. That feels pretty good and like you said you can work up a sweat if you really get into it. Like most Wii Fit games it really comes down to what you put into it.

BTW, are any other NAers in the GAF gym still using it regularly? I only ever see Jody in there anymore, but I'm not sure if my Miiverse/Gym functionality is working properly... (I'm typically on at 4:30 PM or so EST and I used to see lots of fellow GAFers in there....)

I try and update wii u fit with my Fit meter every day around 5:00PM Central Time, so I am on for 10-15 mins everyday. My goal is, 3-4 times a week to work out with the training to go along with my weekly walking and stairs at work routine. I am trying to gain weight and build muscle with my workouts using it.

Wiifit U with meter and balance board £84.99 from Amazon!

Seems awfully high I don't know what I was expecting... Maybe £60....

I got a pre-owned balance board for £13 and a separate meter so with the trial download it came to £32.99. If you already have the board or can get hold of second hand one it will be lots cheaper.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Okay, lads! I joined the N.A. Gym and did my first ever Wii Fit U exercise session! I still haven't received my Fit Meter yet, but should tomorrow!

I had a good time burning about 180 calories using the Step class, Pushups and Planks, free run, and a few others I'm not terribly familiar with the names of.

Overall I'm quite happy with it so far! The community gyms are a very neat feature but am I correct in seeing that there's only 3 members in the N.A. gym? Is this more of a European thing?

Question: How do you post screenshots of this game on Miiverse?

No matter what there's way to do this. Do I have to take pictures through the album mode?

Robin64

I'm only weighing in once a week now. I know the game doesn't like it, but daily changes are just too wild to be of any use. The completist part of me hates not having foot stamps all over the calender, but ah well.

zigg

I'm only weighing in once a week now. I know the game doesn't like it, but daily changes are just too wild to be of any use. The completist part of me hates not having foot stamps all over the calender, but ah well.
Weekly changes are wild too. The variance doesn't go away just because you're sampling less often.

I sample daily and then plot a weighted moving average with The Hacker's Diet Online. Shame that Nintendo never figured that one out; it would help them be less annoying with "oh God you gained 2 pounds, justify yourself you weight-gaining scum!"

Horseticuffs

Is there any way to finesse the weight that the Balance Board lists me as? My home scale shows me as 172 lbs naked and the Board shows me at 167. I'd love to bump it up to 172 since I believe that to be more accurate.

There's a lot of options and I feel I'm missing this one somewhere.

Robin64

Is there any way to finesse the weight that the Balance Board lists me as? My home scale shows me as 172 lbs naked and the Board shows me at 167. I'd love to bump it up to 172 since I believe that to be more accurate.

There's a lot of options and I feel I'm missing this one somewhere.

Are you on a soft carpet or anything? Because as far as I know, the board was shown to be pretty accurate.

Horseticuffs

Are you on a soft carpet or anything? Because as far as I know, the board was shown to be pretty accurate.

I am, but the balance board has feet on it. Now, this is a preowned board so I don't know if it , by default, has feet but I've ordered the feet extenders as well just in case and so that should help.

I was thinking that perhaps, since it had feet on it already, that I'd wasted money on the extenders. Are you saying that the extenders go ONTO the feet that are already on the board?

I'm sorry for the silly questions but I'm very new at all this and am not used to using a console this way!

zigg

I am, but the balance board has feet on it. Now, this is a preowned board so I don't know if it , by default, has feet but I've ordered the feet extenders as well just in case and so that should help.

I was thinking that perhaps, since it had feet on it already, that I'd wasted money on the extenders. Are you saying that the extenders go ONTO the feet that are already on the board?
Balance Boards have permanent feet. The extenders—I don't want to say snap on—fit over the permanent feet. They're easily knocked off if you're picking up the Board and bump them against something, but they do stay on securely under normal use.

I have a fairly thick carpet and I use the extenders with what I think is good accuracy. Their primary goal is to lift the Balance Board high enough so that only the feet (which are tied to the strain gauges that actually measure weight) touch the ground and not the bottom of the board itself. Without the feet, it measures me significantly lighter, and how much lighter can vary pretty dramatically.

Horseticuffs

Balance Boards have permanent feet. The extenders—I don't want to say snap on—fit over the permanent feet. They're easily knocked off if you're picking up the Board and bump them against something, but they do stay on securely under normal use.

I have a fairly thick carpet and I use the extenders with what I think is good accuracy. Their primary goal is to lift the Balance Board high enough so that only the feet (which are tied to the strain gauges that actually measure weight) touch the ground and not the bottom of the board itself. Without the feet, it measures me significantly lighter, and how much lighter can vary pretty dramatically.

Awesome to hear, thank you! Well, I'm glad ordering the extenders wasn't a waste, then :) Looking forward to getting more accurate measurements forthwith.

RaidenZR

Overall I'm quite happy with it so far! The community gyms are a very neat feature but am I correct in seeing that there's only 3 members in the N.A. gym? Is this more of a European thing?

It only shows who's online and doing stuff. Not every member of the gym community total.

I woke up and did a 30 minute run this morning... did anyone else notice it's snowing in the game's area for this activity? Kinda cool.

maxcriden

It only shows who's online and doing stuff. Not every member of the gym community total.

I woke up and did a 30 minute run this morning... did anyone else notice it's snowing in the game's area for this activity? Kinda cool.

I saw Miiverse screenshots of the Orienteering exercise with various holiday accoutrements--pretty cool!

Sickbean

This might be a silly question, but my wife wants this for Christmas - only problem is that she is pregnant. Is there a setting somewhere to take this into account with regards to weight gain?

zigg

This might be a silly question, but my wife wants this for Christmas - only problem is that she is pregnant. Is there a setting somewhere to take this into account with regards to weight gain?
I guess she could ratchet up her clothing weight figure? I think it would be best for her to tell Wii Fit U that her goal is to gain a certain number of pounds in accordance with a normal pregnancy and just track to that though.

Seems dangerous for pregnant women to be worrying about their weights.

Lenardo

Banned
i download the meter data daily and try to do 15 minutes of yoga and 30 of the situps a day

if i remember correctly, the balance board is one of the most accurate scales on the market. i'd be more inclined to trust the balance board than other scales

used properly it is accurate to 1/10th of a pound.and that is only because it only LISTS 1/10th of a lb increments...it is bacially accurate to an ounce or less but that is just silly to list that on a scale of a person's weight.

a doctor also tested how accurate it was for measuring center of mass/balance.

Four standing balance tasks were used in this study including a combination of double stance, single stance, eyes open, and eyes closed. Throughout these tests the center of pressure path length was measured and compared these data to an identical study on a laboratory-grade force platform. The study found the Wii Balance Board to be both valid and have high test-retest reliability.

i've hit a plateau, even though i am working out my weight is not dropping, i can feel the difference in my body, legs i can see more definition, same for biceps(plus the pushups are getting easier) and my abs...

which means i have to up the aerobic to burn more calories...

i probably blow you all away at the rowing...in college i was on the crew team (rowing)
and the game DOES follow how you are supposed to row with your wrists, i found that funny since NO rowing machine i have tried (granted i have not tried one if several years) did it. the oar is supposed to be flat on the return stroke and vertical on the power stroke so wiimote FLAT (A up) on stroke and sideways on return). expert i don't have the abs for yet(and i actually lost due to not keeping up on the rhythm -came in second by ~2 boat lengths), i fall behind on the rhythm but on advanced i am blowing my "competition" in the game away (by 150 meters or more)

one TIP to help for the rowing, find something to lock your feet into place. i use my couch and use the gamepad to view since i am not facing the tv anymore.

Sickbean

I guess she could ratchet up her clothing weight figure? I think it would be best for her to tell Wii Fit U that her goal is to gain a certain number of pounds in accordance with a normal pregnancy and just track to that though.

Seems dangerous for pregnant women to be worrying about their weights.

It's not too bad as long as they are getting enough nutrients etc. She actually lost a little bit of weight for the first 6 months with our first child (cutting out alcohol and eating healthily ftw).

kitsuneyo

I get on the scale every day but I only do the Wii Fit U body test when I know my weight has gone down :)

ust unlocked Super Advanced today... wonder what it's like.

It's awesome, hardest workout in whole game as far as I know. Super Hula and Core Luge are good too.

Horseticuffs

In super hula hoop I'm having a bear of a time controlling my form. I'm sure it'll come in time, though.

edit: Just got a text that my fit meter is delivered! I'm off tomorrow and I'm going to start things off with a 5 mile walk to the bike repair shop to pick up my bike then I'm going to try to put in a nice 15 mile ride afterwards! I can't wait!

Can the meter differentiate between walking and cycling?

dkeane

In super hula hoop I'm having a bear of a time controlling my form. I'm sure it'll come in time, though.

edit: Just got a text that my fit meter is delivered! I'm off tomorrow and I'm going to start things off with a 5 mile walk to the bike repair shop to pick up my bike then I'm going to try to put in a nice 15 mile ride afterwards! I can't wait!

Can the meter differentiate between walking and cycling?
Unfortunately it doesn't count cycling. It sucks but is to be expected for this type of device

The Boat

Aw, that blows! Even my 3ds counts it as footsteps at least.

It counts it, but it's not an accurate reading.

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to put a lot of time into it, especially because I sprained my ankle the other day, so I just have this to say: what the fudge did they do to the trainer's model? Not only is it super creepy, the way the arm bends is terrible!
Also, aiming on the snowball fight is terrible, it's like it has a deadzone.

Minor quibbles though, need to get some exercise done when I'm better.

maxcriden

It counts it, but it's not an accurate reading.

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to put a lot of time into it, especially because I sprained my ankle the other day, so I just have this to say: what the fudge did they do to the trainer's model? Not only is it super creepy, the way the arm bends is terrible!
Also, aiming on the snowball fight is terrible, it's like it has a deadzone.

Minor quibbles though, need to get some exercise done when I'm better.

Feel better soon, Mr. Boat. I used to love the snowball fight but I really like Hosedown Hoedown a lot better in this one, it feels like you're getting more actual exercise and moving your body more.

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but how accurate is the board on carpet? I have tried a FitBit, but lost interest. Will this be easier to keep up with? And I have a coffee table and couch in front of the tv, with the only available space off to the side. Will I need to be straight in front of the tv with a lot of space to get good use out of the game?

The Boat

Feel better soon, Mr. Boat. I used to love the snowball fight but I really like Hosedown Hoedown a lot better in this one, it feels like you're getting more actual exercise and moving your body more.

Thanks :) I tried Jazz and Hip-Hop dancing (only because I was alone) and it was quite a work out in the end, especially Hip-Hop. Being able to use the gamepad's camera seems to make a lot of difference when it comes to posture, I like it.

maxcriden

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but how accurate is the board on carpet? I have tried a FitBit, but lost interest. Will this be easier to keep up with? And I have a coffee table and couch in front of the tv, with the only available space off to the side. Will I need to be straight in front of the tv with a lot of space to get good use out of the game?

Others can better answer the quest about carpet accuracy, if you've got a thick carpet. I have fairly thin wall-to-wall carpeting and it seems to be pretty accurate. You will definitely need to have a good viewing angle of the TV to get good use out of the game. Can you tilt your TV's angle? You'll need a good amount of room to move around, too.

maxcriden

Thanks :) I tried Jazz and Hip-Hop dancing (only because I was alone) and it was quite a work out in the end, especially Hip-Hop. Being able to use the gamepad's camera seems to make a lot of difference when it comes to posture, I like it.

Monsignor Boat, I feel your pain. I haven't tried using the camera for posture, but that's neat. I haven't tried Jazz but Hip-Hop is super intense. I was quite bad at it. I did popping and locking really well my first time but did pretty terribly the second time. It's quite a work out, as you said. I think I need to get a second built-in Wiimote+, though. The Wiimote w/ + attachment I'm using doesn't seem to work as well. It's also awkward to hold one slightly larger Wiimote in one hand.

Aeroangel

Banned
There is an 11 lb difference in my weight on carpet vs tile floor lol luckily the dining room is close so I weigh myself there and do exercises on the carpet.

My pedometer arrived and is waiting to be picked up from Walmart so excite!

Aeroangel

Banned
I got that too, it's like it was easier to send it to everyone rather than check who already has it and exclude them.

anyway, I've been doing my routine for a month straight as of yesterday plus a few sessions of running on the side, improved my diet and cut out the crap and lost 6.5kg in that time.. feeling good.

I have it set to 10 for push ups, click the plus button. not sure how many more it increases by, but there's also the push up challenges :)

Thank you for this tip! I will try to increase the reps as soon as I can handle the basics lol it must work because my arms and tummy be so sore after working out!

The Boat

Monsignor Boat, I feel your pain. I haven't tried using the camera for posture, but that's neat. I haven't tried Jazz but Hip-Hop is super intense. I was quite bad at it. I did popping and locking really well my first time but did pretty terribly the second time. It's quite a work out, as you said. I think I need to get a second built-in Wiimote+, though. The Wiimote w/ + attachment I'm using doesn't seem to work as well. It's also awkward to hold one slightly larger Wiimote in one hand.

Yeah, it's a bit awkward, no big deal though, at least if it's working.

Aeroangel

Banned

Dumb question but how do you use the gamepad camera while exercising like where do you sit it? On your TV stand itself?

Horseticuffs

Thanks for the advice, guys! I suppose I can just turn it off when I cycle. It's not like I can't just track that with Runtastic.

Mitsurux

Didn't see it listed in the OP, but does anyone know how many days worth of data the fit meter can store. (Between Syncs?)

Top Bottom