• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii-Like controllers AND functionality for all new consoles (PS3, X360)

Fady K

Just found this at gamespot. Lock if old :D

GamespotUK said:
A UK firm has created a prototype for a USB controller that will allow developers for any platforms to build in Wii-like activity into their games. In2Games managing director Elliott Myers is hopeful that the controller--codenamed Fusion--will bring more creativity to games outside of Nintendo's new platform. "Controllers like dancemats and lightguns have been successful, but you can only do one thing with them, and I thought that there was something more innovative that could be done across all kinds of genres." Fusion is expected to be ready to come to market in the third quarter 2007.

Notorious_Roy said:
Not standerd => No support. It'll be just like the Eyetoy.
Seeing how most if not all games shown using the Wii controller could be done with traditional controllers, "support" isn't exactly necessary. Unless I'm missing something, you could buy this to play any PS3/X360 games.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Green Biker Dude said:
Seeing how most if not all games shown using the Wii controller could be done with traditional controllers, "support" isn't exactly necessary. Unless I'm missing something, you could buy this to play any PS3/X360 games.
Yes you are missing something - a brain

*giggle*

Maztorre

Green Biker Dude said:

Yeah man **** the Guitar Hero controller I can play this shit on a dualshock.

Neomoto

Yeah I read about it a couple of hours ago, but it mentioned that this will not have 3d pointing abilities like the wii, iirc.

JCX

Green Biker Dude said:

One of the most bold thing about Wii is that the wiimote is the standard scontroller, not that it is motion sensitive. Why would a PS3/360 dev create a game around a peripheral that not a significant amount of people have?

Green Biker Dude said:

You have no idea at all what you're talking about do you? I dare you to say Elebits could be done on ANY other console? It's only possible on the Wii. Same with stuff like Mario Galaxy where you're doing multiple actions simultaneously and precision is required (to nab those stars and stuff). Red Steel's sword play is also a good example. A normal controller couldn't emulate it, unless you propose using the right stick as the sword(horrible idea)

JCX9 said:
One of the most bold thing about Wii is that the wiimote is the standard scontroller, not that it is motion sensitive. Why would a PS3/360 dev create a game around a peripheral that not a significant amount of people have?
I said the controller could be used to play any game, not that anything would be designed for it.

Zoramon089 said:
You have no idea at all what you're talking about do you? I dare you to say Elebits could be done on ANY other console? It's only possible on the Wii. Same with stuff like Mario Galaxy where you're doing multiple actions simultaneously and precision is required (to nab those stars and stuff). Red Steel's sword play is also a good example. A normal controller couldn't emulate it, unless you propose using the right stick as the sword(horrible idea)
What makes Elebits so special? And as far as Mario Galaxy and Red Steel go, were platformers or FPSes with melee weapons never done on consoles before?

Vieo

Green Biker Dude said:
What makes Elebits so special? And as far as Mario Galaxy and Red Steel go, were platformers or FPSes with melee weapons never done on consoles before?

With regards to Elebits, read the latest impressions. As it turns out the environment is very interactive. You have to turn the Wiimote to turn on faucets, pull the Wiimote to open cabinets, etc. They even added some nice physics to the game, where like in real life, a hinged door will only open when the proper direction of force is applied.

As for Red Steel and Mario Galaxy, once again, read some impressions. They aren't ordinary games of their genre. One of the people who is working on the Wii version Mortal Kombat said what's interesting with the Wiimote is that fact that for the first time movement of your character and aiming are independent of each other which opens up a lot of possibilities.

YEAH. As you put it, a lot of this stuff could be pulled off by pressing a button or fiddling with the right analog stick, BUT that lacks the finesse of the Wiimote.

Example. Playing Madden with Dual Analog Vs. Wiimote. With Dual Analog, if you want to make a pass, you have to press a button to cycle through all possible receivers on the field one at a time. With the Wiimote, you can just point at the guy you want to throw the ball to.

Wiimote = Direct interaction + Simplified controls

Vieo said:
Example. Playing Madden with Dual Analog Vs. Wiimote. With Dual Analog, if you want to make a pass, you have to press a button to cycle through all possible receivers on the field one at a time. With the Wiimote, you can just point at the guy you want to throw the ball to.

No, and no.

Ever receiver on madden for ages, have been mapped to buttons.

You can't "point" to a receiver in wii 07, to pass. You gotta press up/down/left/right on the dpad, then flick the ball.

Notorious_Roy said:
Minus the first-party push.
Green Biker Dude said:
Green Biker Dude said:
I said the controller could be used to play any game, not that anything would be designed for it.
Well, sure, I can play many PlayStation games using a dance pad as well... of course, since they're not designed with it in mind it's a bit pointless and I don't have access to all the buttons. Same with this thing; it could do something like a straight mapping of left motion -> left analog or whatever, but it wouldn't usually work well.

Notorious_Roy said:

How much support do you really need? The wii-mote is best for fun party games with people who aren't into games. Just give me one or two titles like wii-sports and that's all i'd want from it.

Pope Benedict XVI said:
How much support do you really need? The wii-mote is best for fun party games with people who aren't into games. Just give me one or two titles like wii-sports and that's all i'd want from it.

You oughta go out a buy a xavix system. They are available right now.

Rocked

Notorious_Roy said:
Not standerd => No support.

What? You don't think people would be willing to go and buy these to play PS3ii Sports?

screenshot_163304.jpg

:lol

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
omg that bowling controller keeps cracking me up :lol :lol

psy18

Rocked said:
What? You don't think people would be willing to go and buy these to play PS3ii Sports?

screenshot_163304.jpg

:lol

Damn, one type controller per one type of sports game!:lol
What's next? A soccer ball? (kick the ball to play the game)

So, I didn't see anything in these videos that is beyond the capability of Wii. If it can do more advanced motion tracking, why didn't they show it?

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
chespace said:
:lol n-tard damage control is strong in here.

so people who fail to see how this peripheral is a "better than wiimote controller" despite it not having any pointer functions, requiring a large sonic device on your floor to detect movements "accurately", suffering from significant lag, using all kinds of attachments for just the few sports contained in Wii Sports, are suddenly damage-controlling "n-tards". right che, right.

MrSardonic said:
so people who fail to see how this peripheral is a "better than wiimote controller" despite it not having any pointer functions, requiring a large sonic device on your floor to detect movements "accurately", suffering from significant lag, using all kinds of attachments for just the few sports contained in Wii Sports, are suddenly damage-controlling "n-tards". right che, right.

The lag looks no worse than what we've seen with the Wiimote.

ethelred

Zerodoppler said:
The lag looks no worse than what we've seen with the Wiimote.

I don't know what you've seen, and I haven't watched videos for this... uh, thing... but I can say that I experienced zero lag in all the Wii games I played.

ethelred said:
I don't know what you've seen, and I haven't watched videos for this... uh, thing... but I can say that I experienced zero lag in all the Wii games I played.

The worst lag I've seen on Wii was with Super Swing golf, but I've also seen it in Wii Sports and some other games. Seen is the key word here, since I haven't played Wii yet.

ethelred

Zerodoppler said:
The worst lag I've seen on Wii was with Super Swing golf, but I've also seen it in Wii Sports and some other games. Seen is the key word here, since I haven't played Wii yet.

Gotcha. I didn't play Super Swing Golf or Wii Sports, so I can't comment, then. All I can say is the games I played (Zelda, Sonic, Elebits), there wasn't any lag at all.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
MrSardonic said:

Who said this peripheral was better? Not my quotes, that's for sure.

I don't really care about this peripheral (bought a Wii, but hate the thought of having to waggle for Zelda), yet I am amused by the kneejerk write-off and downplay in this thread.

Sure, whatever, even if the Wiimote turns out to be better (we'll see), the hate in this thread just goes to show that waggling really is the last line of defense for the Wii. Take that away and what do you have? (Hint: GameCube online).

ethelred

chespace said:
I don't really care about this peripheral (bought a Wii, but hate the thought of having to waggle for Zelda), yet I am amused by the kneejerk write-off and downplay in this thread.

Sure, whatever, even if the Wiimote turns out to be better (we'll see)

We'll see? You're calling people out here, Che, but be honest -- do we really have to wait and see on this one? Are there mountains of evidence and prior game development or hardware development success to give us the benefit of the doubt that these guys are going to make something on Nintendo's calibre? Any reason at all?

This is like complaining that people are retards because they're downplaying and writing off the Phantom or Gizmondo or Ngage. Get real.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
ethelred said:
We'll see? You're calling people out here, Che, but be honest -- do we really have to wait and see on this one? Are there mountains of evidence and prior game development or hardware development success to give us the benefit of the doubt that these guys are going to make something on Nintendo's calibre? Any reason at all?

This is like complaining that people are retards because they're downplaying and writing off the Phantom or Gizmondo or Ngage. Get real.

Time will tell. :)

Same goes with sixaxis.

ethelred

chespace said:
Time will tell. :)

Same goes with sixaxis.

Certainly it will. But when a company has no strong record to speak of in its favor and it promises to top one of the three major competitors in the gaming hardware industry, it certainly seems some skepticism is in order -- and said skepticism is not a sign of retardation.

Top Bottom