• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Mini: Exclusive to Canada | Dec 7th @ $99.99 (No internet, no GC support)

OniShiro

Banned
No online? Seriously Nintendo... we are on 2012, 21st century and all.

Otherwise it looks sexy even though a little plasticky.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I really don't see how this is worth it at $99 compared to the price of current Wii's with no pack in game or internet, also don't Nintendo keep promoting that Netflix is most popular on their platform?

Well, Sony did it with the PSP, although one of the primary non gaming uses for the Wii is netflix so it really makes no snese for a console that can regularly be found on sale for 99 anyway. This should be 60 max.

This whole no-internet scheme brings back the good ol' days...back when game consoles didn't have or need internet.

It's a nice gesture by Nintendo, even if it is fundamentally backwards. It's saying "Our products are complete on-disc. No DLC or incessant patches. Just pure, simple, gaming."

terrisus

No internet doesn't even make sense. How much are they saving by cutting out internet? And meanwhile that cuts out many of the reasons that people who have held off for now might go for a $99 system - Netflix/other similar things, and VC.

I mean, if they were interested in all the Wii games, I suppose you might get some people who were holding out for a lower price, but seems if that was their only reason for being interested in the system (since this is now the only thing this system can do), they would have gotten one by now.

I can live without the GC compatibility, but no WiFi? It really doesn't make sense, they are losing the whole VC library and WiiWare stuff which is pretty cheap and could help sell more consoles.

Love the look, that's for sure.

No online? Seriously Nintendo... we are on 2012, 21st century and all.

Trolls left until permaban: 1

:p Only half joking.
The Wii is still being sold. Buy a WiiU for BC and online.

Thats three SKU's.

Guess Nintendo is saying that Wii U is the TVii device.
Fair enough I suppose.

m.i.s.

Banned
but why go with such a non-appealing design? Looks awful.

Cost mainly. This is Nintendo looking to cover all bases in an attempt to move back into profitability.

Big downgrade from Wii looks-wise but I doubt young children would care much. At least this would stop them from sticking rulers inside the slot and jamming the mechanism.

Also, I suspect they're conducting a sort-of trial of this in Canada and if the response is good, they'll roll it out everywhere else.

Kreven

The Wii mini will probably run a different interface/dashboard altogether. There's no point of having all these 'Channels' when most require internet connectivity and you won't be able to install any Channels/games through the shop anyway.

I suspect this will have it's own new dashboard with just the Disc Channel, Mii Channel, and the Settings button to change settings or manage game saves.

I really doubt it will have ay USB ports whatsoever. Barely any accessories made use of them anyway.

No internet doesn't even make sense. How much are they saving by cutting out internet? And meanwhile that cuts out many of the reasons that people who have held off for now might go for a $99 system - Netflix/other similar things, and VC.

No wifi chip? Although I don't see why you hcouldn't use an ethernet adapter. Why are people saying this looks ugly though? The design is the best thing about it.

they saved 50 cents a unit by switching from mp3 to aac. gonna guess wifi costs more than that...

Well, it seems it's just not for me; I love the design and color, but no-online for multiplayer kills it for me; it means no Wiiware as well

No Netlfix pretty much says it all. Why do they think this is a good Idea?

Everyone that wants Wii and Netflix can buy a Wii or a Wii U?
This isn't for them.

Like. This was thought out. People paying for Netflix each month. This not for.

Well, it seems it's just not for me; I love the design and color, but no-online for multiplayer kills it for me; it means no Wiiware as well

Be cool if Nintendo did a Wiiware collection disc.

Remember an article a few weeks back that basically spoke about how Nintendo hasn't done any real market testing since the DS. They just release a product to the market to see how it does. I wouldn't be surprised if this is some sort of test by Nintendo and Canada has been the chosen market simply to gather data.

It will be exclusive to Canada until they sell all the normal Wii they have elsewhere. Then the Wii mini will replace the Wii.

It makes sense since the Wii market as we know it is dead so they are going after a new demographic.

Plus now people wont be confused since both are very different.

BearPawB

Banned
"@jcfletcher: "The original Wii had internet capabilities?" Just getting ahead of the curve on that joke."

Wanted to joke steal but i didn't

Trolls left until permaban: 1

:p Only half joking.
The Wii is still being sold. Buy a WiiU for BC and online.

Thats three SKU's.

Guess Nintendo is saying that Wii U is the TVii device.
Fair enough I suppose.

You just called a guy an idiot a few minutes ago, and you think he is trolling?

Don't try so hard, and you might also want to check the sticky at the top of the page.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
This whole no-internet scheme brings back the good ol' days...back when game consoles didn't have or need internet.

It's a nice gesture by Nintendo, even if it is fundamentally backwards. It's saying "Our products are complete on-disc. No DLC or incessant patches. Just pure, simple, gaming."

Missing the internet is "a nice gesture by Nintendo", really?

I think this is confusing for the 'general' consumer out there.

Yeah - if it has a USB port (likely, since various popular games require them), you could plug in an Ethernet adapter.

What requires a USB Port ???

I don't think it will have any other inputs than sensor bar/disc though.

You just called a guy an idiot a few minutes ago, and you think he is trolling?
Don't try so hard, and you might also want to check the sticky at the top of the page.

Uh huh. You might want to read my post - I was mostly joking.
And the idiot comment is the 'its not for gamers' - its a friggin games console; I hate that stuck up chat.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's a budget model designed for young children, the kind of player that wouldn't care about any of the online features or even be able to use them.

Sony released a WiFi-less, mono speaker PSP for a similar market in Europe.

Missing the internet is "a nice gesture by Nintendo", really?

I said it's fundamentally backwards...

It's just cool to see Nintendo making a deliberate design choice not to include internet access. It reminds me of the Nintendo 64...a product with only gaming in mind. No superfluous Netflix or YouTube or anything like that. Just gaming.

Valnen

I want one of these if it can run games off an external HD. I'm assuming Canada consoles are NTSC so I can run my already purchased games?

Ydahs

You're an idiot.
Its a games console that only plays games.

Its focusing on people who haven't bought a Wii yet.
The Wii U is focused on the more active gaming base - hence the BC.

Its aiming at another market entirely from people on here.
Likely at this stage most people buying Wii's are not going to be internet heavy; not like the Wii ever was.

EDIT: Not that I'm not against an updated Wii aimed at being more than just a games console; but thats not what this has been designed to be.
Calm down dude, no need for that.

What I meant is that it doesn't appear to be targeted towards dedicated gamers such as yourself and I. I would say it's targeted more towards a younger demographic given the design and it's more focused on being a very affordable gift during the holiday period.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
But its not worth the price savings. You could get a used Wii, with all the features for less than $100 on craigslist...

Nobody in the real world cares. This is a cheap budget Wii for young children, not a console for anybody who knows anything.

Isn't there like "Canadian tax" at some point, since the Wii launched at $279 here where it was $249 in the US?

So it's possible this would be $79 in the US? But then again, the Wii U and 3DS share the same prices in both so...

Top Bottom