• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii NEWS channel is up (All regions)!

StopMakingSense said:
Hmm, a story about Snoop Dogg with a dateline of Santa Ana, CA appears to be floating over Costa Rica.

The story has a photo, too, so its Snoop's head floating over Central America.
Fo shizzle?

dyls

Marty Chinn said:
Hmm, just read the manual. Why does it mention Wii Connect 24? It has nothing to do with the news channel does it? You don't get news till you connect, so it's not updating you contstantly. Speaking of not getting news to connect, it sorta sucks that you only get content when you first start it and won't get new news until you quit and restart it. It would have been cool to just leave it on slide show and have it just pulling the latest news constantly.

It does use it. It will update just like the forecast channel, although hopefully more often.

DefectiveReject said:
What does the logo look like on the main screen?
IS it nice and bright like the weather channel?

It's very grey.

Edit: i read awesome, the icon is very green and grey. I don't like it as much as the weather channel. The channel itself is very grey.

The question I have now is this:

All of the channels Nintendo had revealed are now available... so what are the new channels going to be?

Radio Channel?

That's all I've got.

aeolist

Banned
This is actually pretty cool. It'll be cooler if they start delivering Youtube-like news videos embedded in the stories.

Deku

Banned
Just discovered some useful controller functions for the slideshow

-left on Dpad moves back to the previous story, right on Dpad moves to next story. This is great for speeding through unwanted stories.

-A selects the headline and expands on the headline. You can also click on the photographs to see a larger (heavily compressed) jpeg image.

-1 and 2 on the wiimote increases or decreases the amount of time a story will stay on screen before moving to the next one.

Didn't find a pause button but the Home button will do just fine.

Amir0x said:
Pretty neat. Like the weather channel, since I have access to the internet it's pretty useless but still it's very nicely done.
What he said, except this will actually be where I get my news from since I don't use the internet or any of the 30+ TV channels.

-zooming in and out is cool, watching the text dance around
-I appreciate the paper/green colours used... it makes me feel like I'm doing something important
-pictures were unexpected : )
-incorporating the Globe from Weather Channel was also unexpected and a good visual aide to where the stories are
-yay slideshow!
-previously read stories are no longer highlighted, just something I noticed

For fun search Technology headlines to find "Nintendo's Wii to Provide AP News"

SuperPac

Wow, great interface. This is a channel I might actually use from time to time. Internet Channel not so much.

I also like that two of the Technology stories that came up for me were about Wii. One about the News Channel going up Saturday, the other about Nintendo posting record profits. They timed that nicely.

I like holding down B to scroll through entries. Makes it much, much easier. And searching headlines by region is quite nice too. Only thing really missing is video clips. The photo integration is quite cool too.

Deku said:
Just discovered some useful controller functions for the slideshow

-left on Dpad moves back to the previous story, right on Dpad moves to next story. This is great for speeding through unwanted stories.

-A selects the headline and expands on the headline. You can also click on the photographs to see a larger (heavily compressed) jpeg image.

-1 and 2 on the wiimote increases or decreases the amount of time a story will stay on screen before moving to the next one.

Didn't find a pause button but the Home button will do just fine.
Also, hold B to scroll up and down in a story or through headlines as you would in the Mii or Internet channels.
Edit - Beaten!

I'm just a little disappointed that the links at the bottom of stories don't open up the browser to the web page, but I can see why that wasn't a feature.

Totalriot

I like the cat on the booting screen :) You could click on it, too.

It seems to indicate whether there are pictures awailable for an article. BTW: Are there any articles with pictures?

aeolist said:
This is actually pretty cool. It'll be cooler if they start delivering Youtube-like news videos embedded in the stories.
the press release mentioned bringing further multi media to the channel so i expect something like this!

TheWolf

Banned
i love the style and music of the channels.

lol, i clicked the cat and it meowed, gave me a tip, and then ran away. why is there a cat anyway?

also, the text looks great on a HDTV. why can't Opera look this good?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
This is pretty impressive, great job Nintendo :D

Oh, and if you didn't know, you can click on the globe from a news story and then it will give you a globe like the weather channel you can move around and zoom and stuff and it lists the news stories as little stacks of paper. Zoom all the way out and areas like Washington DC form this huge stack of stories that sticks out into space. Great touch.

Surfheart

Nice!

Although dissapointingly light regional content.

Only 2 stories for Australia whereas the aussie news site I usually use has hundreds.

I hope in the future it might pull data from more localised source based on region.

Totalriot

Mr. Spinnington said:
Yes. If you go to them and select any picture in a story then it will zoom on the picture and set it in a black background.

OK, thanks. Unfortunately the German news channel does not seem to have any articles with pictures, checked them all. But I guess they will improve the quality and the quantity of the featured articles. Right now we have no sports news and the Feuilleton (features?) is full of celebrity crap like Jennifer Garner dropping her Diamon ring in the toilet :lol

Vormund

Ahh so the message on my Wii is probably something other than the repeated spamming about the weather and internet channel which I already downloaded a month ago. :)

If anyone's read the story about AP News and Nintendo in the Yech section, did you notice that it said the contract would last for 2 years and that multimedia content could be in the works (video streaming anyone?)

I love it, probably my favourite channel! (Except for maybe the photo channel)

Also on the downloading screen, if you highlight the loading bar and press A, the bar turns into cats and you get a meowing sound :D

Totalriot said:
The blue light only indicates that there are new mails for you. Just go to the news channel and click on update.

Nintendo will email you when the update is officially received

I have faith in the opera browser as according to the press release you need opera browser to have the news channel, maybe this is one of the reasons Opera is still trial as they want to fully check the integration?
And Opera may look like this in the full version?

maxmars

On the Nintendo web site (in Italian) they say that this is only the first version of the news channel software, with updated ones to follow. That's nice. :)

Deku

Banned
The news channel mainpage is a bit... bland.

There should be a spinning globe somewhere which users can click to jump to the globe right away. Also if you read stories and exit, the system will not remember the stories you have read.

Also perhaps the news channel homepage should have the latest headlines flashing.

And a Search function!

Otherwise this is a nice addition. If a bit useless for some people.

So it doesn't look like this?
I4MSwMY-VrEaumXqrAtJNMMWBZYtjedi.jpg

If you’re the proud owner of a Wii then you probably know that Nintendo’s new console offers more than just innovative new games for everyone to enjoy.

So far we launched the Forecast Channel, allowing you to check the weather forecast in your area or around the globe with a flick of the Wii Remote. More classic games become available every Friday in the Shop Channel, and we recently launched the trial version of the Opera Browser for Wii in the Internet Channel.

Today we present the News Channel, which allows you to scan the globe for the latest headlines! Please bear in mind that this is only the first version of the News Channel launching in Europe, but the final version will be coming soon. We thank you for your patience, and hope you will enjoy getting the news from around the world with your Wii.

The News Channel is a free service available to all Wii users. However, it requires a high speed Internet connection. To upgrade Wii to receive the service, you must connect it to the Internet as instructed in the manual and select “System Update” from the Wii Settings. The News Channel will be installed once the download is complete. To stay up-to-date, the Wii will need to remain connected to the Internet while the News Channel is used.

Nabs

nice. i probably wont use this much, but it looks great. i wish i could have an rss reader on the wii.

Deku

Banned
Oh I found something new. While reading a news story, hover the pointer over text and hit 1 button on the wiimote it will highlight the text in red.

However I have only found the way to highlight one block of text at any given time. That is, if you highlight one set of text and move to highlight another set, your previous selections disappear.

Dpad left/right to move to next/previous stores also work while reading stories. No need to jump out to the headlines.

And yes it takes 0 blocks.

mj1108

DefectiveReject said:
So it doesn't look like this?
I4MSwMY-VrEaumXqrAtJNMMWBZYtjedi.jpg

Nope.

In fact, looking at that picture, to the left of it, it shows the temperature/weather for the forecast channel and the internet channel to the right is red.

Ours is NOTHING like any of those.

chase

Questions:

I asked on the first page, but I'll ask again anyway: Does highlighting do anything? (Press and hold 1 over an article's text and drag.)

Can you get to the globe without having to find an article with a globe icon next to it, viewing it and then spinning the globe?

Comments:

Needs more sources, apparently. Entire regions seem to be entirely without news (and in the case of Africa and Australia, entire continents)! Even if it's not like your local news cast (which I don't want or expect), certainly the national news of each country is worth hearing about.

Hopefully the AP's comment about multimedia will come to fruition.

If the channels were integrated, you could click on the link (like wii.com in that one article) and get taken there.

How about links within the stories that just link to other stories in the News Channel then? If I click on Beijing in a news story, it would bring up all current stories that have Beijing in their location heading (or, even better, anywhere in their text). I'd like to see this with other words too, not just locations (e.g. Microsoft) but I wouldn't want to be the one that decides what gets 'linked word' status and what doesn't.

This channel deeds either: all stories on the globe, or; another way to find news by area (like my link idea above). I can't figure this out. What makes a story appear on the globe? I thought it was city size or importance (based on an American POV), but surely something like Baghdad is both large and important enough by any standard to have its stories be on the map! They had to know news would be coming out of there. Has anyone figured out what makes a story get put on the globe?

That goes into being more organized. Dallas news is stuffed into something called the 'Shawnee Area'. Sports news is all there, but I'd like to be able to sort by sport. Similar things for the other sections.

Last updated 1:34 ago. Come on. (It's updated since I started typing this, hooray, but it did reach this length.)

With the exception not being able to easily access the globe, this interface rocks. Everything from the news stories piling up higher the more there are in an area, to the ease of navigation is outstanding.

knoo

Got it, and really like it so far, esp. the interface is very good imho.

But one thing really bugs me: My system language is set to english, because I don´t want my games to be in german... But the News Channel now shows me only english news too, and there are not very much news about Germany in English... 5 under "National News"...
I want to set the News language independent from the System language!

mrkgoo

chase said:
Questions:

I asked on the first page, but I'll ask again anyway: Does highlighting do anything? (Press and hold 1 over an article's text and drag.)

Can you get to the globe without having to find an article with a globe icon next to it, viewing it and then spinning the globe?

Comments:

Needs more sources, apparently. Entire regions seem to be entirely without news (and in the case of Africa and Australia, entire continents)! Even if it's not like your local news cast (which I don't want or expect), certainly the national news of each country is worth hearing about.

Hopefully the AP's comment about multimedia will come to fruition.

If the channels were integrated, you could click on the link (like wii.com in that one article) and get taken there.

How about links within the stories that just link to other stories in the News Channel then? If I click on Beijing in a news story, it would bring up all current stories that have Beijing in their location heading (or, even better, anywhere in their text). I'd like to see this with other words too, not just locations (e.g. Microsoft) but I wouldn't want to be the one that decides what gets 'linked word' status and what doesn't.

This channel deeds either: all stories on the globe, or; another way to find news by area (like my link idea above). I can't figure this out. What makes a story appear on the globe? I thought it was city size or importance (based on an American POV), but surely something like Baghdad is both large and important enough by any standard to have its stories be on the map! They had to know news would be coming out of there. Has anyone figured out what makes a story get put on the globe?

That goes into being more organized. Dallas news is stuffed into something called the 'Shawnee Area'. Sports news is all there, but I'd like to be able to sort by sport. Similar things for the other sections.

Last updated 1:34 ago. Come on. (It's updated since I started typing this, hooray, but it did reach this length.)

With the exception not being able to easily access the globe, this interface rocks. Everything from the news stories piling up higher the more there are in an area, to the ease of navigation is outstanding.

Zoom in and out on the globe, and stories just pile up or space out. Or disappear entirely.

mrkgoo

knoo said:
Got it, and really like it so far, esp. the interface is very good imho.

But one thing really bugs me: My system language is set to english, because I don´t want my games to be in german... But the News Channel now shows me only english news too, and there are not very much news about Germany in English... 5 under "National News"...
I want to set the News language independent from the System language!

the amount of news is probably more based on region setting? Or is there actually more news if you set to german language?

Deku

Banned
There's probably a maximum cache, but my news channel just updated 20 minutes ago and it added stories to several countries. Japan now has 10 stories up from 9. It may take a while for the stories to hit max cache size limit but I'd personally guess 300 or 500 sounds like nice round numbers.

Also this is AP, so they will cover the 'bigger stuff' from each country, outside your region. Leaving some regions entirely blank. AP doesn't exactly operate on a municipal level.

mrkgoo said:
the amount of news is probably more based on region setting? Or is there actually more news if you set to german language?
Would be the same as in the weather channel. (More locations for your region)

Amir0x

Banned
so anyone have an idea what the deal is with the cats? I mean... why cats? What relation does this have to news OR the wii?

Deadbone

Im on.... Got 2 Australian national news articles.

*Award winning scientist slams climate change policy.
*Australian leader unveils water reforms.
That's it... and today is 'Australia Day' - National public holiday.

No regional articles though. Heaps of international stuff. Kinda crappy. I have absolutely no need to use this service though.

Cats.. yeah, strange. I would have thought Dogs.

Cool scottish fold......

Top Bottom