• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii? Non! - Nintendo Land |OT|

mclem

Well, if you ask... many people have complained about Nintendo communicating about the Gamepad literally as if it was an add-on to the Wii. So, normal people may ask "is it for Wii?" and the answer would be no. Now, hold on: "Wii" is pronouned like "oui" in french (yes). And no, is "Non" :pPP

I don't think you're quite realising the problem here. That'd work absolutely fine for a Wii U thread. In a Wii U thread, making an assertion in the title about how it's not a Wii makes perfect sense.

This, however, is a NintendoLand thread, and that subtitle has only a tangential relationship at best with NintendoLand. It's like making a thread named "Gears of War 3: No Red Rings This Time, Honest!"; "Little Big Planet Vita: Aren't the memory cards expensive?"

TL;DR: Subtitle references console and detracts from the point of the thread, which is a specific game.

Here endeth the lesson. Which would have happened sooner if I wasn't i) Waiting for the Wii U to be releasd in Europe and then ii) Playing NintendoLand. Which is great.

I'm thinking the reviews were a bit harsh on the single-player stuff, I've been enjoying a few of them quite a bit. Also surprised at how much depth some of the games had - I did a double-take when I realised that Pikmin had two *pages* of levels.

I had some friends over this weekend and it was an instant hit.
Especially Mario Chase, Pikmin adventure and the Animal Crossing one were the ones we could not stop playing until we realized it was three 'o clock in the morning.
And thanks to them, now I got a lot of coins to spend. :)

It's interesting for me to read the replies in this thread, cause for me my first impressions on solo play was, that these games are just kind of glorified mobile games, not much more.

Was already up to selling it.

Definitely need to check out multiplayer, it seems, that's where the magic is.

onilink88

rofl... should have been the OP not the 3rd or 4th post.

Is this really fucking necessary? Sheesh.

Anyways, had the friends over again, and had a blast, once again, with the Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, and Mario attractions. Though, I do wish there were more stages to play on for those three, at this point.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Unless there's a hidden way of doing it, nope you always gotta restart from course 1. It's okay though, you can consistently do it in about 60 seconds after a few tries with the safe shortcuts.

what is this witchcraft you talk about?

(actually we found one on the far left corner lift but that seems fairly tame).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Finally beat Donkey Kong Crash Course last night.

I honestly want an entire eShop game with tons of those levels. I'd pay $20 for something like that.

Madouu

I'm thinking the reviews were a bit harsh on the single-player stuff, I've been enjoying a few of them quite a bit. Also surprised at how much depth some of the games had - I did a double-take when I realised that Pikmin had two *pages* of levels.

I feel as though the reviewers didn't play those long enough. For example, no one seem to mentions the extra levels and extra challenges, only stamps, trophies and coins get mentioned in the reviews I read. Or maybe it's just me and I've got weird taste in videogames.

Finally beat Donkey Kong Crash Course last night.

I honestly want an entire eShop game with tons of those levels. I'd pay $20 for something like that.

Where should I sign!

Grats on beating it! How many times did you die on the last jump before the finish flag in the 4th board? :p

It's interesting for me to read the replies in this thread, cause for me my first impressions on solo play was, that these games are just kind of glorified mobile games, not much more.

If I were you, I'd give the single player games a try too. DK crash course is pretty good to try first because there's no tutorial levels per se, and the challenge is right there in the first board. Personally, I think calling these overglorified mobile games is wrong, not that I have anything against mobile games.

what is this witchcraft you talk about?

(actually we found one on the far left corner lift but that seems fairly tame).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WGaH1L7xyzQ

The safe shortcuts are at : 0:40, 0:43 (the one you were talking about), 0:48 and 0:59. Also, there's a safer shortcut to use than the one at 0:29 but it doesn't save you nearly as much time. Instead of doing what he does (which I can only reproduce 1 time out of 5 at best) you can just go the normal route, all the way around, until you get to the little horizontal platform you move by turning the right stick and then use the same technique shown at 0:40 in the video to get down to the L trigger diagonal platforms. I wish this game had replays sharing, explanation would be so much easier.

I still haven't beaten his run :(

Jackano

I just realized that StarFox isn't in the top 12 Nintendo's IPs.
And F-Zero is, even with Miyamoto and Iwata only recently knowing about the hype (that being said, I think there is a chance they are hugely trolling us on this one).

I'm not sure what all of this can mean ^^"

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I just realized that StarFox isn't in the top 12 Nintendo's IPs.
And F-Zero is, even with Miyamoto and Iwata only recently knowing about the hype (that being said, I think there is a chance they are hugely trolling us on this one).

I'm not sure what all of this can mean ^^"

It can only mean no more Star Fox characters in Smash Bros.

Has anyone come up with a good strategy to deal with when the Gamepad ghost player uses the ZL+ZR attack? The purple regions cover a decent amount of space and last for a few seconds, so even if nobody gets their battery zapped, it corners people pretty easily.

Huddle up, coordinate where you're going when it releases and bait him with one player if he holds the charge. I found a lot of people playing Ghost that tried using the charge focused on cutting off one point of access and would miss an entire hallway, so I would just circle around and make him waste it.

That strategy doesn't apply to the 5th level.

Fabrik

Banned

Oh definitely!

I prefer this game over NSMBU. I mean, It's probably a little worse than Mario but I always find myself playing this. The muliplayer is outstanding and the single player is funny/cool/addicting. Love the OST!

I think I need to play this with 3 or more people, the 2p multiplayer left me wanting. Now I only need to find some friends :(

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Oh so you have to tag them now. Guess I'll import more from my 3DS then. Always fun to spot your own Miis in games.

I think that user account Miis are automatically tagged as favorites, but I'm not sure about that point.

Mael

Finally I could try it!

Is it me or is the game rather hard?

Well so far :
Zelda : Awesome
2nd fav attraction, loved the sword play and the bow is fine as hell

Metroid :
Fav attraction as expected,
the ship I can't control for the life of me, but the wiimote is awesome

Pikmin
a bit on the boring side, will need to see more of that before passing judgement...

Ballon Trip
I wasn't expecting having as much fun with that game!
It's an arcade game through and through, ruthless and all.
Good

DK Crash course
Tied with Zelda, this one is a winner, ruthless and hard for me :)

Fzero
Surprisingly good, I expected a stinker and well it's actually not bad although the music greatly helped in this case

The others I haven't tried yet.
I know where I'll spend most of my time now :
Metroid on foot, Zelda (both) and DK, the rest are mere bonus.
Now to have a party to try the other attractions...

deleted

I'll post it here too, since the other thread doesn't see much action:
If anybody from the UK wants to get rid of his Amazon Nintendoland code, I'd be interested. £20-25 seems fair.
I just want to get rid of the disc-switching hassle and the disc-noise.

PM me, if interested.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I still need to find the perfect solution for area 9 in DK's Crash Course. Only pass it about 50% of the time.

Just got this in the mail today. Wow, this game is really, REALLY pretty. If this is an indication of what Ninty can pull off with HD development, I want more of it.

DK Crash Course is my favorite attraction so far, oddly enough. Incredibly addictive.

Tokieda

Had some friends over yesterday, Animal Crossing is the greatest fun I've had with a local multiplayer game in years. Pick-up-and-play, but requires a lot of strategy from both sides. I think we played it for 2 hours straight, only with two levels :D

Luigi's Ghost Mansion was also pretty incredible. At first, it seems like the ghost has the advantage, the ghost player jump-scared our team again and again and again, but after a couple of rounds, it was as scary being the ghost as it was being the hunters.

All in all, as has been said, these games have a lot more depth than I originally thought they would have.

I just realized that Nintendo Land is probably going to be a SSB stage where it switches attractions. And it will be amazing.

Bring it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

image.php

Still doesn't solve my area 9 problem though. :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
don't tilt the gamepad, nice regular quick taps on the ZR button

Hmmm. I tried that. Guess I've got to just practise the timing. My best solution was to tilt slightly and then make the gamepad straight during the jump but it's really easy to mess up and with three levels of jumps to perform it's a right pain.

Thank God for the press X to blow tip.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Great Eurogamer article released today:
Discovering the Wii U's third place

Nothing quite beats the thrill of the first day with a console. It's a little like a first date; endless days of anticipation leading into a few hours that combine awkwardness and nervous excitement - and if the stars are aligned it's all full of the promise of years of happiness together.

Of course, some first dates go better than others, and some go horribly awry. But let's forget the bad ones with their clammy fumbling and lack of spark. In fact, let's forget this whole sticky metaphor before it leads us anywhere unsavoury, and let's instead celebrate the good console launches.

Perhaps your own favourite came at the time of the biggest generational leap we're ever likely to see, when two dimensions blossomed out into three; an afternoon stolen with the PlayStation's Ridge Racer or WipEout, or maybe a weekend spent exploring the tangible caverns of Mario 64's castle.
Chalk up the Wii U's launch as another happy day and another memory to savour. There's a thread there, of course, and I think it's fair to admit that Nintendo still maintains a certain magic. I also think it's fair to admit, though, that the Wii U has launched in a more demanding market than Nintendo's faced before, and certainly a more hostile one. The disquiet that murmured amongst the hardcore around the launch of the Wii and DS at certain points rose until it deafened all else out.

You can understand some of that disquiet when you consider the fact that the Wii U doesn't really seem to know what it is. I'm still not entirely sure myself either, but over the past few days that's started to matter less and less now I'm realising how much fun it all is.

It's the GamePad's screen, of course, that's the real focus of attention, and it's also what's the real source of confusion. There's no fixed purpose: it's at once a touch pad, a mini-map and an overview of an inventory, yet plenty more besides. Again I'm not entirely sure what exactly it's there for, though I'm slowly beginning to appreciate what it's not.

There's some sort of consensus that the Wii U's GamePad is a successor to the dual-screen set-up of Nintendo's most successful handheld, but I think that's a misunderstanding that somewhat overlooks the wonder of the new console.

The DS's two screens - and, by extension, those of the 3DS - are in truth a single display cut crudely in half. There's a divide, but it's only an inch-wide plastic one - the space they share is the same, even if they're often given slightly different, complimentary purposes.

The magic of the Wii U isn't in its second screen, but rather in the space between the pair. It's a space that some of the early games are beginning to explore well; in Zombi U, it becomes the threat of the shadows as you're pulled away from the game world and into your inventory, and it's a source of brilliant tension. In New Super Mario Bros. U, it's a space that can be used to help or hinder as one player places blocks down in the game world for Mario to leap on - or to halt his progress.

And it's in Nintendo Land, a mini-game collection I'd written off upon its first reveal, that that space really comes into focus - or, rather, where its potential really starts to show. Sometimes it's cute but slight: Pikmin Adventure's use of it simply makes the messy business of offline co-op that much tidier, while in the single-player pursuits there's more of a connection between the two screens.

In the competitive games, though, the space in between them becomes electrically charged - and it's responsible for one of the best few hours of gaming I've had in years. Luigi's Ghost Mansion, Animal Crossing Sweet Day and Mario Chase all elect to make it a private screen, to great effect.

Luigi's Ghost Mansion has been getting the most plaudits, and for good reason: the player with the GamePad is the invisible ghost, identified only by occasional flashes of lightning and the ever more urgent pad rumble as they get closer to other players. Sweet Day, meanwhile, is a similar game with an added element of risk and reward as you hoover up candy balls across the map while the GamePad player, in control of two guards assigned to each analogue stick, also has the mind-warping task of co-ordinating with themselves.

But it's Mario Chase that's snagged me, probably because of its relative simplicity. It's catch me if you can, quite simply - the GamePad player's afforded a view of the entire map, while those playing on the main screen have a more limited perspective and must work with their team-mates to track down and identify the runaway. And so it becomes a noisy, breathless pursuit, screaming orders at teammates while the empowered GamePad player giggles to themself.

All of a sudden, Nintendo's curious 'Talk or Fail' slogan for its recent series of ads makes sense; the Wii U, at times, brings with it all the intimacy and mischievous social deception that makes board games so great. That's not to say that the Wii U's invented competitive couch gaming, but it's certainly reinvigorated it, with that third space, that private screen, creating a tension that no other console can replicate right now.

The Wii U doesn't have an easy elevator pitch - it's still an odd device, but one that does some fantastic things.

And so my first day with the Wii U ended with a few friends and a roomful of smiles. We're in our thirties, it's Saturday night and we're playing a brightly coloured variant of tag. I'd laugh, but after spending three hours straight chasing or being chased through candy-coloured mazes and screaming with glee, I don't think I've got it left in me.
At a party later that night, I was trying to explain the brilliant appeal of the Wii U to some friends who had already been won over by its predecessor. I couldn't really succeed where Nintendo's failed since the system was announced a couple of years ago, and not just because it's a little tough saying asymmetrical multiplayer after a couple of snowballs.

And so I still think Nintendo's got a bit of a challenge on its hand. First there's some of that traditional crowd - and excuse me if this seems a little mean, but the Wii U feels like an incredibly social machine, which is perhaps what's putting it out of reach for some of the more miserly old guard.

And for that broader crowd, it's tough to communicate what it is that makes that third space so enticing. It's a matter of getting the GamePad in people's hands, and proving how exciting the Wii U can really be. Since becoming a convert myself, I've been desperately recruiting people to come and sample some of the console's unique new magic.

Madouu

^ I just wish wii remotes weren't so damn expensive!

Hmmm. I tried that. Guess I've got to just practise the timing. My best solution was to tilt slightly and then make the gamepad straight during the jump but it's really easy to mess up and with three levels of jumps to perform it's a right pain.

Thank God for the press X to blow tip.

Tilt the gamepad slightly to the right/left and keep it like that while you do what mrklaw said.

Spanish Monita voice is really cute and funny, and the UK one is also amazing DAT british accent, its like being in Alton Towers lol

Monita is one of the best things about Nintendo Land, its what Fi in Skyward Sword needed to be and wasnt.
I love her dopplehanger and princess versions, and her opinions about stuff, we need her in a smash stage about Nintendo Land.

And the single player games, one of the things I wrote off when the game was showed most of the time is one of the most amazing aspects, there are like arcade cabinets, with the vibrant fast gameplay, that can turn into a long session and the harcore difficulty most of them have in the end.
Im really proud of getting master grade in all of the normal batch of the Metroid levels (some of the expert ones feel really difficult to me though). Zelda seems easier at the start, but then in the expert levels it starts to be brutally difficult even trying to beat the stage, at least with the bow, havent tried the sword yet.

Multi is fun when I have played with friends when I bring the game to one of my friends house that also have the WiiU (the zombiU bundle), and they have a blast with the simple ones like mario chase, animal crossing and luigisd mansion, but its a pitty that I can play to experience some of them alone and show them better when someone plays with me, becuase im as clueless as them and they dont like turorials when theres a group of people wanting to play.

zroid

Banned
Oh man, UK Monita is awesome. :'/

I don't hate the US version, but it's real disappointing compared to this.

effzee

This might be a stupid question but is the DK chase game just one course? I haven't played Nintendo Land much since I'm having so much fun with NSMBU but I tried it yesterday, got addicted to DK chase, beat it, and now want more.

Do more courses open up?

Madouu

This might be a stupid question but is the DK chase game just one course? I haven't played Nintendo Land much since I'm having so much fun with NSMBU but I tried it yesterday, got addicted to DK chase, beat it, and now want more.

Do more courses open up?

If you're talking about DK crash course then yes, 4 courses total. Need to beat a board twice to unlock the next one usually.

Wow, seems to be one more thing I diverse about. For me Monita was always a nuisance, some kind of "Office Clippy"-thing that never stops shutting its mouth.

I just wanted to play and find out stuff on my own...

Wow, seems to be one more thing I diverse about. For me Monita was always a nuisance, some kind of "Office Clippy"-thing that never stops shutting its mouth.

I just wanted to play and find out stuff on my own...

Fi is a nuisance and does exactly the same think that monita. Its the way you do what they do how theres people that like the character. And after some tutorials Monita will not bother you more.

That guy is terrible. Look at all those banana's he missed...

Funny thing, it seems that the bananas do nothing really, theres no stamp fpr gettin all the bananas in a course, but theres one were you have to avoid 30.

Def Jukie

To anyone having issues with DK area 9, all you have to do is very slightly tilt the gamepad in the direction that you are headed, hold it in that position and just tap the ZR button. Do not move the gamepad aside from the slight tilt. Continue and repeat.

Madouu

Funny thing, it seems that the bananas do nothing really, theres no stamp fpr gettin all the bananas in a course, but theres one were you have to avoid 30.

You need to get all the bananas on the course for the coins to show up. In other words, yes they're pretty much useless.

Top Bottom