• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii? Non! - Nintendo Land |OT|

Davey Cakes

Animal Crossing: Sweet Day has really climbed up in the ranks. At first we didn't like it as much as Mario Chase or Luigi's Ghost Mansion but now it's right up there.

There are only two stages though, eh? For some reason I almost feel like there should be more. Since you can unlock more courses and stages in other events, it seemed like there would at least be more than two for Sweet Day. Does anyone know if there are more stages? It almost seems unfair that some events have unlockables and others don't.

Additionally, is Mario Chase capped at its initial three stages as well?

I really hate to say it, but this game needs DLC.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Man this game just has so much fuckin content, it is ridiculous. Between it and the NSMBU challenge mode I'm not gonna need any new games for a long time.

Davey Cakes

What's neat is that the courses scale based on how many players there are.

Still, more courses just seems obvious. I'm not even trying to be greedy, but two is barely anything for such a mechanically simple game. What would be really cool is if there were stages based on the seasons, like in actual Animal Crossing.

I'll be grateful for what we got though. These games are almost endlessly fun regardless of the amount of content. And Nintendo Land as a whole is packed full of content and replay value as it is so I can't complain. It's almost surprising how this game caught people off guard with how deep it is.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Man this game just has so much fuckin content, it is ridiculous. Between it and the NSMBU challenge mode I'm not gonna need any new games for a long time.

Yep, especially when some outlets made it sound like the single player content was secondary to the multiplayer.

GimMick

Finally finished a round of all the attractions. I was very sceptical on that game before trying it, but now it has won me over.

It actually feels way more like a glorified arcade game collection than a classic mini-game collection, considering the challenge offered (seriously, some of the Master challenges are amongst the most difficult shit in a Nintendo game). Also the presentation is top-notch, be it the toy-look HD graphics or the awesome remixed classic Nintendo themes.

There's not a single game that I dislike, and the multi only games were great fun for the small time I played them. My favorites though were Pikmin Adventure and Yoshi's Fruit Cart. So hyped for Pikmin 3 now !

I got my first Platinum trophy yesterday on the Yoshi game (4003 pts) by clearing Gate 50 warpless, and apparently I could still keep going through that "?" door if I wanted. This session alone me 3 HOURS
KuGsj.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think the easiest platinum in the game is Octopus Dance. You don't even have to beat the game to get it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think the easiest platinum in the game is Octopus Dance. You don't even have to beat the game to get it.

there are platinum medals?

is there a list of whats needed to get a gold star on your attraction? Got a few already but would like to try and get some more.

On DK, I can't decide whether to try and get better times on course 1 or see how far I can get on the boards. Board 2 seems a bit 'bitty', doesn't flow as well as the first one

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Basic requirement for stars seems to be to complete the basic set of levels or stages.

For the single players games I believe it was:
Octopus dance:
Beat five levels
Balloon Trip:
Beat day 3 morning
Capt Falcon's:
Reach the end of area 12.
Donkey Kong Crash Course:
Beat the first course
Yoshi's Fruite Cart:
Beat level 20 (you can use warps)
Ninja Castle:
Beat the boss of area 3.

I heard that the multiplayer only games require you to play them a certain amount of times to get a star.

I just spent 15 minutes running around in the plaza, not doing shit except admiring how fucking polished this game looks. The lighting, textures, shading... UNF. I hope every first-party Nintendo title on the Wii U can look at least this incredible from now on.

Also wtf why is Yoshi's Fruit Cart so hard.

hachi

Banned
The easiest way to do it is dropping on the platform below the penultimate flag, then slowly tilting to the right towards the edge until your cart falls in the air ... does a flip and lands back on its wheels next to the finish flag.

You won't pick up the coins if you do that; hollow victory.

Learn to do it the right way, with finesse!

Deadstar

Animal Crossing: Sweet Day has really climbed up in the ranks. At first we didn't like it as much as Mario Chase or Luigi's Ghost Mansion but now it's right up there.

There are only two stages though, eh? For some reason I almost feel like there should be more. Since you can unlock more courses and stages in other events, it seemed like there would at least be more than two for Sweet Day. Does anyone know if there are more stages? It almost seems unfair that some events have unlockables and others don't.

Yeah I don't understand why the best games only have a few levels, mario, luigi's mansion, animal crossing. These should have easily 10+ levels each.

catabarez

Never have I been able to get the intended way right. I found the shortcut completely by accident.

It was something like

"DAMMI-... oh."

What are you supposed to do at that rotating section in area 5 on the 2nd course? I'm just not seeing it.
Should have asked in miiverse people reply almost instantly.

But you are supposed to jump to ledge to ledge all the way to the bottom, where you will start rotating the area and then once again jump ledge to ledge to the new bottom. Fried my brain initially as well, I even managed to pass it by hanging in one wheel and turn it, but then I couldn't replicate that... fuck I was lost for 30 mins at that point.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What are you supposed to do at that rotating section in area 5 on the 2nd course? I'm just not seeing it.

Wait, stage 2? WHAT?

How do you unlock this? I beat stage 1 and nothing happened.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Yeah I don't understand why the best games only have a few levels, mario, luigi's mansion, animal crossing. These should have easily 10+ levels each.

I have a notion about the way the games in Nintendoland are organized. Goes like this:

The three competitive games, Mario Chase, Ghost Mansion, Sweet Day, are all extremely easy for people who know nothing to pick up and play. They don't use hardly any special controls or motion control aspects. They have simple (but strategic) rules. They're great as party games to introduce a crowd to Nintendoland. And to the console.

The six single player games all act as extended tutorials on interesting things you can do with the system. They focus on how you move the gamepad. Different orientations. Touch screen gameplay. Learning to look at both screens in tandem. (Note the three competitive games only require players look at one screen or the other.) Being single player, they place no pressure on a person to learn fast and keep up with a group. No shame for failing. These games also have a lot of content or unlockables to keep players going for a while.

The three cooperative games, Metroid Blast, Pikmin Adventure, and Battle Quest, bring everything together. They have complex controls, lots of stages and unlockables, and all allow large groups to play together... after people have learned how to use the console features and the gamepad well, with confidence.

I think the only conceptual problem is that the team viewed the three introductory attractions as more disposable - the true party games. They kept them simple with only a few stages. I think this is a waste as they're really good; aside from more levels, they could have easily created a single player mode with bot Miis filling in for other players. For instance, Ghost Mansion could have had a full mansion map to go through room by room battling a whole range of ghosts until you've got them all, with Miis or Monitas acting as your ghost busting squad.

Davey Cakes

I guess it makes sense that players "graduate" from the competitive games to the cooperative ones, where the first set of games are simpler and the second set are more complex with more content. That said, it's not like the competitive games are tossed aside once players grasp the gameplay concepts in Nintendo Land. Those games are fun to play regardless of skill level, and this is part of their appeal. They don't get old in terms of the gameplay; they only get old in terms of replaying the same courses. Especially with Animal Crossing, when I play with friends we just go back and forth between the two courses. I kind of feel bad; I can tell people are wondering why there aren't more.

Again, I don't want to sound ungrateful but having only 2 courses seems like a mistake. It's a head-scratcher, when even Luigi's game has 5 maps and the cooperative games have way more than that. While Nintendo Land is packed with content, it's also imbalanced. Maybe Nintendo just didn't have the foresight to realize how much of a hit the competitive games would be.

If it was possible to patch Nintendo Land with add-on content, I'd gladly bend over for Nintendo and take it.

Madouu

Should have asked in miiverse people reply almost instantly.

But you are supposed to jump to ledge to ledge all the way to the bottom, where you will start rotating the area and then once again jump ledge to ledge to the new bottom. Fried my brain initially as well, I even managed to pass it by hanging in one wheel and turn it, but then I couldn't replicate that... fuck I was lost for 30 mins at that point.

Forget about going inside the rotating platform! Think outside of the box.

But then I wouldn't finish the course in 45 seconds

Eh I wish coins were a bit more useful, would be motivating to do it the long way and not just speedrun it everytime.

On DK, I can't decide whether to try and get better times on course 1 or see how far I can get on the boards. Board 2 seems a bit 'bitty', doesn't flow as well as the first one

I think it feels that way because you're going up instead of making your way down. It's still cool, requires a bit of finesse compared to the previous one, especially for its harder version.

Hydderf

Do you guys have any tips for the Time Attack mode in the Zelda game ?
You have to kill everyone below 40sec and it seems impossible to me so I wonder if I'm missing something.
First area I made it in 41.80s once and never did it again :D
Second area I'm stuck at 57s... 40s feels undoable.

HELP ME (LADIES AND) GENTLEMEN, PLEASE!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there a list of what you need to do to get the different stamps?

edit: OMG I'm dangling off the beams in DK and its supposed to be like that. JackieChan.gif

Jackano

A few days/weeks after the release and people ask for more courses/levels etc...
This confort my idea that this game should have been made for DLC. Adding attractions, just like a real park, and expanding existing ones. It should have be loaded in every Wii U memories too, merely like Wii Sports, and it would have become a greater win on the long term.

Ooh, Balloon Trip Breeze is giving out double the coins today. Is it the same for anyone else's game, or is it just me?

Edit: Oh, seems to have switched to Octopus Dance. Guess it's just a random thing.

dwu8991

Banned
Interesting thing when my wii u pad ran out of battery. Instead of losing all my game progress, the game automatically pauses/freezes.

When I plugged in the ac charger, I took off just where I left off as if nothing happened.

Ahhh, the benefits of streaming !

Take that PS Vita and 3ds batterys and all the other portable gaming devices !!!

Interesting thing when my wii u pad ran out of battery. Instead of losing all my game progress
Why would you assume a console would shut down because the controller lost connection. It's hardly different than what it was with Wii. But always lovely that it pauses the game for you.

Lyude77

Hm...maybe we should all post this desire for more Animal Crossing/Mario Chase levels on Nintendo Land's Miiverse thread.

BowieZ

Banned
I came into the thread to enquire about more levels in Mario Chase and Animal Crossing, but I see there really is just those couple of them.

Shame...

but how can I be mad at this game? It's GOTY material.

NFreak

Finally got a star for all the mini-games. The end credits were awesome. Does anyone know if there is a present to go through the credits any time again or if that was a one time thing? I don't see it in my plaza anymore.

I've never played a Pikmin game before, are they anything like the game that is part of Nintendoland? If so - sign me up for Pikmin 3! (I guess this was Nintendo's plan with this all along - open up their IPs to new audiences)

Nintendoland Pikmin is great!

JavyOO7

Was finally able to play this yesterday with a few co workers. The multi player games were fucking hilarious.

I was pretty godlike in Mario Chase. Can't wait to play this again soon with these dudes.

Nintendo land theoretical sequel should have online with mandatory voice chat and DLC. =p

LGom09

Do you guys have any tips for the Time Attack mode in the Zelda game ?
You have to kill everyone below 40sec and it seems impossible to me so I wonder if I'm missing something.
First area I made it in 41.80s once and never did it again :D
Second area I'm stuck at 57s... 40s feels undoable.

HELP ME (LADIES AND) GENTLEMEN, PLEASE!
Really, it's just about memorizing where the enemies appear and never missing a shot. The chu-chus (red blob guys) and the archers in the turrets can be killed in one shot without charging at all. There might be more enemies like that, but those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head. Other than that, use full charge shots to take out everything in one hit. Also, the charge shots can go through guys and also kill the people behind them so that might be useful.

Neiteio

GAAAAAAH I broke down and opened up the Wii U and played Nintendo Land with my brothers -- so much for waiting for Christmas.

This game is great! I'm a "star player" on Balloon Trip Breeze -- I love the controls and physics in that game, and all the different scenarios they crammed in there. And the music! Trying to deliver each package intact, and land on the red flag, and combo-chain the balloons into different colors -- it all adds to the high-score potential. Fantastic stuff.

Luigi's Ghost Mansion, Mario Chase and Animal Crossing: Sweet Day were an absolute riot. Luigi's was probably my favorite -- lots of intense moments where we'd imitate the line from Batman Begins where the goon yells, "WHERE ARE YOU" and Batman goes, "Here." It makes me REALLY eager for Dark Moon to release on 3DS. And about Mario Chase -- was that a Cool, Cool Mountain remix I heard on the third map with the slides? As for Sweet Day, the greatest moments were when someone has to completely jettison their load of candies to elude the fuzz. XD

I really love Takamaru's Ninja Castle -- really punchy combat, a lot of variety to the changing shooting galleries, and subtle strategy in leading shots, deflecting projectiles, etc. Yoshi's Fruit Cart is also surprisingly awesome, definitely one of my favorites.

Captain Falcon's Twister Race, while slower than an actual F-Zero game, is really just the right speed given the tilt controls and focus on drifting around corners and past obstacles.

Octopus Dance is quite interesting and really speeds up as it goes along, punching in different directions, jumping, leaning, skipping beats, etc. It's easiest to pay attention to whichever screen has your Mii's back turned to you, but sometimes the Octopus will squirt ink on that screen, forcing you to look at whichever screen has the dancers facing you, in which case you have to reverse all your moves (I.E. if you're supposed to raise your left hand, you'd use the right stick).

I tried DK Crash Course. Definitely the highest learning curve so far, and the game requiring the most concentration, precision and patience. And damn, the first map is so complex -- I could see lots of possible ways to navigate it. I'll need to spend more time with this one to really learn it.

The only one we haven't played so far is Metroid Blast. Zelda Battle Quest was decent fun -- moreso with the sword, we all agreed. We only played the first two and a half levels, though (died in Lost Woods, distracted by Saria's Song). As for Pikmin Adventure, I tried that in single-player as Olimar. Probably the one I found least fun, though I'm sure my opinion of it will improve. Is it tap to punch, and swipe to throw Pikmin? I think I was also a bit stressed since that particular attraction is so beautiful that I was tempted to watch the TV, but the TV was following my AI Pikmin companion.

I'm really impressed by Nintendo Land. Not GOTY or anything (that would be Kid Icarus Uprising and Sleeping Dogs), but really awesome stuff here. :)

A few days/weeks after the release and people ask for more courses/levels etc...
This confort my idea that this game should have been made for DLC. Adding attractions, just like a real park, and expanding existing ones. It should have be loaded in every Wii U memories too, merely like Wii Sports, and it would have become a greater win on the long term.

yesyesyes

BowieZ

Banned
24 prizes to go. So 300 coins or so and I'm set.

I hope there's something special for getting all the prizes...

Kouriozan

Just finished all 50 levels of Yoshi's fruit cart 0_o
I used check mark so I'll have to do it again...but not now...
That level 49, omg...

EDIT : the warp gate at level 50, it take you back to level 1 or something, right?

Kouriozan

Managed to reach the 4th stage in Donkey Kong, it's really super hard.
But I'm really improving my skill each time, I can see it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
24 prizes to go. So 300 coins or so and I'm set.

I hope there's something special for getting all the prizes...

How many prizes in total?

F zero is my worst game I think. I'll try and get a gold star on it but don't think I'll play beyond that.

Top Bottom