• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii? Non! - Nintendo Land |OT|

hiryu2015

We bought a WiiU Deluxe for my bro for Xmas along with NSMBU and probably put way more multiplayer hours into NintendoLand than any game since Smash Bros Brawl. We must've played Mario Chase for 4+ hours the first night. Four players with a 72" HDTV was an amazing experience. Luigi + Animal Crossing were also hilarious to play. We eventually put more time into Luigi's Mansion than the rest but they were all great. I can gladly say I was completely wrong about the possibilities of this particular game (and maybe the WiiU itself but I'm not sure I'll be rushing to buy one for myself anytime soon).

Also, damn that Donkey Kong game for being incredibly addicting. I put so much time into it and can get to Stage 1, Area 9 with ease but still CANNOT get past the jumps. I once got to the lowest rung of Area 10 just before the end but went too slow and crashed. I still want to play it despite my failures haha.

NFreak

Still think the Mud level is too heavily in favour of the Mario. Either the bridges need to respawn, or they should take two trips before disappearing to keep everyone on their toes.

Really? My friends and I think the exact opposite. If you watch the video I posted the toads caught Mario fairly quickly. The stage is small so the fact that the bridges disappear after one trip adds strategy for both sides.

Sh0k

Looking into buying a Wii U. Will this game still be fun with only 3 potential players most of the time? Or the mini-games are more fun with 5 people?

Neiteio

Looking into buying a Wii U. Will this game still be fun with only 3 potential players most of the time? Or the mini-games are more fun with 5 people?
The games are plenty fun with two or three players -- you don't need a full gang of four or five to get the most out of the multiplayer. Also, this game is fantastic in single-player, as well; it's like an inspired arcade anthology, surprisingly content-rich and challenging to the point that the first level in DK's Crash Course could make a hardened game vet cry. Simply amazing. :)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I've seen 6 kids from my family play this game on dec 25th. That Nintendo magic people refer to sometimes? It's in Nintendo Land, no question about it.

It's great with 3 players. It's a good challenge for the 2 players trying to beat the 1 player with the Gamepad in the vs games.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I have a few of them I could share. I've been posting some on Miiverse. NNID:Madouu.

16 435 my new high score at DK crash course, anybody to beat that here?
Props. Mine is ~12K. Adding you.

Madouu

Props. Mine is ~12K. Adding you.

Thanks. I like the screenshots you posted from the plaza, the Triforce/Merry Christmas one is amazing, I never thought about using the gift animations that way!

Also, I went back and played a bit more of Takamaru's castle and this way using the stylus and adopting a less shuriken spammy strategy and it has worked wonders. Been taking my time and shooting one shuriken at a time and I've finally reached the 6k points mark. Still a lot of room for improvement though!

Aku-Audi

Me and my friends have been getting on with some 5 player action every night since Xmas. Easily the most fun and "intense" multiplayer moments I've had in a game probably since the days of N64.

Aside from the usual love for Mario Chase, everyone seems to be in love with the Donkey Kong game. Having the whole room go "ooooooooooh OOOOOOOOH!" every time there is a close call.

I'm stunned to see some people shrug it off as a simple mini game collection at various places, the games feel so rich and provide so much fun, including good alternatives for single player as well as multiplayer. I'd say this game alone made my Wii U purchase worth it. And I been having a lot of fun with NSMBU and ZombiU as well.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
NintendoLand went from being a great local multiplayer game to GOTY material with the discovery of Surface-Air Combat (Metroid). The brother and I played for hours tonight, switching between being the ship ahd the bounty hunter many times. It is like an elaborate game of cat and mouse, involving guns and the basic movements of Metroid. Lots of strategizing and skill involved, making it one of my favorite attractions so far.

blu

Thanks. I like the screenshots you posted from the plaza, the Triforce/Merry Christmas one is amazing, I never thought about using the gift animations that way!
Thanks! I play with the animatronics in the plaza a lot - kids love them. Fun fact: the plaza models actually use the original assets from their respective attractions.

Also, I went back and played a bit more of Takamaru's castle and this way using the stylus and adopting a less shuriken spammy strategy and it has worked wonders. Been taking my time and shooting one shuriken at a time and I've finally reached the 6k points mark. Still a lot of room for improvement though!
I'm yet to give proper attention to this attraction. A bit afraid of scratches, though I do have a protector.

NintendoLand went from being a great local multiplayer game to GOTY material with the discovery of Surface-Air Combat (Metroid). The brother and I played for hours tonight, switching between being the ship ahd the bounty hunter many times. It is like an elaborate game of cat and mouse, involving guns and the basic movements of Metroid. Lots of strategizing and skill involved, making it one of my favorite attractions so far.
Likewise here - all said and done, NL is my GOTY. MB, BQ and DKCC alone suffice for that, and it's not like I haven't played anything else this year.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

It really is excellent. I'm working my way through mastering them, some of the later levels are damned tough.

XaosWolf

C7Zkw.gif

Not sure if that's good disbelief or bad disbelief... =P

Is there an option? I just don't bother grabbing the star when I'm playing Mario.

No options like that on any of the games as far as I'm aware. Ignoring the star makes it more fun though. =)

It's crazy how fun this game is. The Animal Crossing game was the crowd favorite here, boxing people in with the guards was hilarious in addition to all the yelling and screaming when guards showed up to take out whoever had the most 'fruit' at the time. "CHEESE IT, IT'S THE FUZZ" or "RUN GUYS, AH'M BRINGIN' THE HEAT" followed by everyone running and dropping fruit everywhere.

HA! I was yelling similar! Particularly "IT'S THE FUZZ!" Then watching the ensuing candy-spitting Panic Mode. XD

We ended up teaming up and doing things like following whoever has the biggest head, getting them to spit out candy for you to pick up and share the load. It's the most pure fun I've had in a long time. =)

I finally put this in my machine, and I was having a blast, surprisingly. The shuriken throwing game is fantastic. I couldn't beat the first boss, though. -_-

I'm posting because I have a calibration problem. While playing the shuriken game, the Wii U keeps changing its mind about where my Gamepad is pointing, so I have to adjust how I hold the Gamepad at various angles on the fly. Any thoughts on what is going on here, or how I can fix it?

Neiteio

I finally put this in my machine, and I was having a blast, surprisingly. The shuriken throwing game is fantastic. I couldn't beat the first boss, though. -_-

I'm posting because I have a calibration problem. While playing the shuriken game, the Wii U keeps changing its mind about where my Gamepad is pointing, so I have to adjust how I hold the Gamepad at various angles on the fly. Any thoughts on what is going on here, or how I can fix it?
When you recalibrate, don't flick the GamePad up relative to the direction you think it's off -- just flick it up in the direction you want to be "center." So in other words, flick it up while it's pointing straight at the TV. The cursor will reset itself.

Mardak

While playing the shuriken game, the Wii U keeps changing its mind about where my Gamepad is pointing
I believe it recalibrates every time you lift up to reload, so when you reload, try to lift up so the bottom of the gamepad is facing the screen.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The...8th Level of the first stage in Donkey Kong Crash Course where you get to the platforms that bounce when you press R, what are you supposed to do there? Everytime I bounce my cart up I just fly off and die.

dwu8991

Banned

Metroid Blast is like an arcade shooter in terms of visual design

It's a pretty good effort considering Metroid is not an fps

Parallacs

I have had a crazy awesome weekend with Nintendo Land. I have never been more driven to 'clear' a game before.

I came close to perfect run in Balloon Breeze, dying only once on the sixth day. Kept the streak up though.

I finally got perfect run on Donkey Kong. Final score is a humble 15,200. There are a lot of conflicting guides on the internet. The only criteria needed is:

No crashes on the first TWO levels
Coins Don't Matter
Resets Are Allowed
Don't die in the transitions after getting the goal
You can die all you want on the last two levels
Finish all four levels
I think you need to collect every banana (might as well)

Finished the basic Octopus Dance and Ninja Castle levels (the two games I hate). Took me forever to get the 10 note streak in Octopus.

Finally got all 200 prizes at around 3200 coins. Platinum'ed all trophies except Octopus Dance.

I have had a crazy awesome weekend with Nintendo Land. I have never been more driven to 'clear' a game before.

No crashes on the first TWO levels
Coins Don't Matter
Resets Are Allowed
Don't die in the transitions after getting the goal
You can die all you want on the last two levels
Finish all four levels
I think you need to collect every banana (might as well)
Yeah I'm also slowly but steadily working my way to get all stamps. Got 45 at the moment. Cleared Octopus and DK the other day, will clear Yoshi today. Btw The Perfect Run in DK only has to do with the first two boards.

ajim

This might be a stupid question, but whenver I want to play entirely on the U Gamepad so someone can watch the TV the reception for the tv turns off. It only lets me play the Wii U and not do both at the same time.

What do I need to do for that....?

missfuuchan

Neo Member
This might be a stupid question, but whenver I want to play entirely on the U Gamepad so someone can watch the TV the reception for the tv turns off. It only lets me play the Wii U and not do both at the same time.

What do I need to do for that....?

Not all games support off TV play, and sadly Nintendo Land doesn't (although you can play a few of the games, such as Crash Course, okay when someone else is using the TV)

ajim

Not all games support off TV play, and sadly Nintendo Land doesn't (although you can play a few of the games, such as Crash Course, okay when someone else is using the TV)

Sorry, I should have elaborated; this is more of a general question, I know certain games don't support it, however, with games like Sonic All Stars Racing, when I do try and play it only on Wii U pad/or Mario U I am unable to use the TV - meaning there isn't any reception for the TV. I can only use the TV when the Wii U isn't on, when I turn the Wii U on the TV won't work.

It was more of a general technical enquiry, however, I didn't feel it needed its own thread lol.

Bonk

Sorry, I should have elaborated; this is more of a general question, I know certain games don't support it, however, with games like Sonic All Stars Racing, when I do try and play it only on Wii U pad/or Mario U I am unable to use the TV - meaning there isn't any reception for the TV. I can only use the TV when the Wii U isn't on, when I turn the Wii U on the TV won't work.

It was more of a general technical enquiry, however, I didn't feel it needed its own thread lol.

I guess your tv changes to hdmi automatically. Normally you should be able to switch to tv by pressing either TV, AV or Input...

ajim

I guess your tv changes to hdmi automatically. Normally you should be able to switch to tv by pressing either TV, AV or Input...

Even if I go back to TV mode whilst Wii U is on it's just blank.

Example: Watching TV then turn Wii U on, screen goes blank as if there isn't any reception no matter which channel I use.

Example 2: Playing Wii U (Lets say Mario U), someone wants to watch tv so I change the game to Wii U Pad only and change the tv to a TV channel, same thing, blank as if there's no reception - until I turn the Wii U off.

Is it interferring with the reception? Or do I need a HDMI splitter?

edit: It appears to be just Digital TV where I can't do Off Tv Play. It acts as if theres no reception and I receive a No Signal Error.

blu

Changing the tv input does not help? You should be able to do that right from the gamepad, if your tv is recognized by the wiiu.

zroid

Banned

Example: Watching TV then turn Wii U on, screen goes blank as if there isn't any reception no matter which channel I use.

Example 2: Playing Wii U (Lets say Mario U), someone wants to watch tv so I change the game to Wii U Pad only and change the tv to a TV channel, same thing, blank as if there's no reception - until I turn the Wii U off.

edit: It appears to be just Digital TV where I can't do Off Tv Play. It acts as if theres no reception and I receive a No Signal Error.

That is utterly bizarre.

Forkball

My Wii MotionPlus won't properly calibrate in Metroid and Zelda, even though it works perfectly fine in other games. I can even slash my sword correctly when it says "Point the remote at the screen" but it for some reason doesn't register and move on beyond that part.

Tmdean

Banned
My Wii MotionPlus won't properly calibrate in Metroid and Zelda, even though it works perfectly fine in other games. I can even slash my sword correctly when it says "Point the remote at the screen" but it for some reason doesn't register and move on beyond that part.

Do you have your sensor bar set up?

Bonk

That's really strange. Do you use an external receiver for digital Tv? I guess unplugging hdmi would help in any case and you could leave the WiiU on this way...

ajim

Yeah I use an inside antenna because I dont have one outside on the roof.

I don't know why the Wii U would be affecting the digital reception like that tho.

All I have connected is my Wii U, nothing else interferring.

really annoying because id like to be able to use off tv play.

zroid

Banned
Yeah I use an inside antenna because I dont have one outside on the roof.

I don't know why the Wii U would be affecting the digital reception like that tho.

All I have connected is my Wii U, nothing else interferring.

really annoying because id like to be able to use off tv play.

Have you tried changing some variables? Like disconnecting the Wii U from the TV and/or using analogue cables instead of HDMI.

Currently trying to master all Metroid missions. Have done so with the standard missions, but man those advance missions against you-know-who are crazy. Especially the one where you battle
Ridley AND Ice Ridley
at the same time is madness. Haven't even cleared it yet...

Edit: Well out of the missions I've played, 26 and 28 are the only ones I haven't mastered.

Hey people. I've been having lots of fun with Nintendoland, but I have a cousin that got a Basic Set this Christmas and has not had the same luck. The problem is the camera in the GamePad. On Mario Chase and Sweet Day, the camera freezes. Will only show the first image it gets on the feed as soon as the game starts then it stays just like that.

The same image will stay there even if you play several games in a row on the same attraction. If you go to a different attraction like from Mario Chase to Sweet Day, it will get a new still image. I came over to her house to try it and it did work for me for like 30 seconds on Sweet Day, but then it just froze.

This only happens in-game. The camera works alright on the Wii U Chat and on the Mii creation app. I looked for help on the internets but nothing came up. Please help!

blu

Currently trying to master all Metroid missions. Have done so with the standard missions, but man those advance missions against you-know-who are crazy. Especially the one where you battle
Ridley AND Ice Ridley
at the same time is madness. Haven't even cleared it yet...

Edit: Well out of the missions I've played, 26 and 28 are the only ones I haven't mastered.
I'm at the same stage of mastering the advanced ones. I still have to play 28 through 30, though. Curiously ehough 27 was the only other mission (along with 20) which I mastered on the first playthrough. Also, I don't remember which one, but I mastered one of the timed missions with 3:00 left (3:00 being the cutoff for mastering many of the timed missions). Fun game, to put it mildly.

joesiv

sounds strange, indeed a HDMI switcher would probably solve the problem, just be careful with setup, as some have automatic switching to a port if that device is powered on (you might end up with a similar issue ;) )

Have you considered covering the IR port on the gamepad while doing these steps, I wonder if it's a TVii or remote settup problem.

ASIS

That's really weird. Is it a Motion plus attachement or a Wii remote plus? Also, when it is caliberating (put on a surface for a few seconds), does it give you an "OK" sign? And what do you mean about not moving, as in not reading your moves correctly or just plain not moving?

daakusedo

Pikmin stage 2 in 3:35.
I'll need advice on that. I read about doing it with a pikmin to ease the challenge but I want to use Olimar. I guess I have to keep the hammers but the part with the bulborgs and the big yellow one is hard to not lose time. The boss part is confusing too.

Madouu

Great job! 17k is my current goal too, I've improved my score a bit and it's at 16,706 right now.

Mediocrity represent: 12,074.

BTW, I'd totally join an internal gaf competition at this attraction, if enough interest was there.

Cool, hopefully more people join in, I'll post the current leaderboards below.
Also do you use any shortcuts? There's a few simple ones that can save you quite a bit of time.

DK Crash Course

1. gingerbeardman 16,862 pts
  2. Madouu 16,844 pts
  3. blu 12,074 pts

blu

You people are insane with the scores you can get. I think too much CoD has ruined my ability for normal gaming. :p
I'm with you there. And it's not like I haven't been playing arcade games throughout the year - VVVVVV, MSF, Mutant Mudds. NL though is something else - it's like a rehab for rusty arcade players - that's how it felt to me initially ; )

Top Bottom