• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Pal 480p confirmed

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
The Black Brad Pitt said:
Why cant 576p be at 60hz?

i thought that 576i was what happened when you selected 60Hz in PAL GC games...so yeah, wtf can't I have 576p at 60Hz?

hirokazu said:
but EDTV is still differentiated by 480p/60Hz and 576p/50Hz :/ i think the overwhelming reason they kept the 576p/50Hz standards for PAL EDTV is so that they can easily convert SDTV content for broadcast in EDTV or HDTV without messing with the framerate too much or something.

The overwhelming reason is obviously that there is no reason at all to switch to the inferior 480p/60hz standard when all TVs support 576 lines.

MrSardonic said:
i thought that 576i was what happened when you selected 60Hz in PAL GC games...so yeah, wtf can't I have 576p at 60Hz?

Nope, what you got was PAL-60 which has 60hz but only 480 lines.

Heezzi

Banned
PAL in general sucks. There should be a uniform standard. PAL is the reason why Europe gets games later do to the stupid up the resolution and drop the Hz to 50.

Danj

Heezzi said:
PAL in general sucks.

PAL has more lines than NTSC, doesn't seem like "sucks" to me!

Heezzi said:
There should be a uniform standard.

There is, it's called "HD Ready" :D Oops, pity Wii doesn't support HD eh...

Heezzi said:
PAL is the reason why Europe gets games later do to the stupid up the resolution and drop the Hz to 50.

I don't think that is the main reason. Localization and submitting to all the different countries' ratings boards are probably more of a factor.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Danj said:
I don't think that is the main reason. Localization and submitting to all the different countries' ratings boards are probably more of a factor.
I'd say ding! on that one aswell.

Koren

Heezzi said:
PAL in general sucks
PAL (50) is way better than NTSC, if you except games (nu pulldown on films, better resolution, better color). For games, Best are PAL-60 or PAL-50 depending on the speed and time developers put into localisation...

PAL-60 is basically NTSC with a better color encoding... so if the loss of definition is not a problem, I fail to see why you would prefer NTSC.

Koren

Danj said:
It is really a problem, though. Video RAM is often too small to transform a 480i game into 576i without tweaking. Especially on PS2/GC. Sometimes, you get black bars and LESS THAN 480 lines on 50Hz games due to this problem. :(

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Frankfurter said:
Nope, what you got was PAL-60 which has 60hz but only 480 lines.

Are you sure? My understanding of PAL 60 was that it had the benefits of both, i.e more lines and as fast as NTSC, thereby making it better.

SantaC

Heezzi said:
PAL is the reason why Europe gets games later do to the stupid up the resolution and drop the Hz to 50.

no all the languages that needs to be localized is the real reason (and I hate it)

Koren

SantaC said:
no all the languages that needs to be localized is the real reason (and I hate it)
Too many games are NOT localized for this to be a reason. There is technical problems. But mostly, they do the european version last, with small teams...

catfish said:
Are you sure? My understanding of PAL 60 was that it had the benefits of both, i.e more lines and as fast as NTSC, thereby making it better.

I thought the same for years, but just recently I read that PAL-60 has only 480 lines. I also looked it up at wikipedia and they say the same (it's not like wikipedia always gets everything right of course).

The english wikipedia article also basically says the same: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL-M#PAL-M_standard_.28Brasil.29

Look up under "PAL-M" (that is PAL-60).

Koren

catfish said:
Absolutely sure. All standards use the same bandwidth. It's 60Hz (20% more images) with 480 lines, or 50Hz with 576 lines (20% more lines).

The only difference between PAL-60 and NTSC is the way the color is encoded (PAL give more stable colors).

Luna104

Koren said:
Too many games are NOT localized for this to be a reason. There is technical problems. But mostly, they do the european version last, with small teams...

Localization is the reason. NOE is very strict about it. Which means that the UK and countries that don't get localized versions have to wait.

NOE could fix this by offering downloadable language packs, but has thus far opted not to. Annoying, but understandable.

Koren

Luna104 said:
Localization is the reason. NOE is very strict about it. Which means that the UK and countries that don't get localized versions have to wait.
I can admit that in case of NoE it's a reason. But see what happen with PS2 games : there's a lot of games that arrives here with no localisation at al (save the booklet which show often a very bad translation) one or two years after US version (with the exact same language).

Boerseun

Banned
I was always getting the PAL version of the Wii, so this is certainly a nice bonus. :)

Feindflug said:
It's good to hear that the PAL Wii has a 480p option, now all we have to see is how many Wii PAL games will support 480p... ;)

If the NTSC version of a game supports progressive, then the PAL version probably will as well.

Citizen K

Can someone answer my question:

My tv here in the uk (non hd) only has scart sockets. If I import a USA Wii, how will I connect it? It'd come with composite, right? No way am I using composite. If I buy a PAL Wii I'd get a RGB scart cable. Would a USA Wii work with a Euro RGB Scart lead? Or do I have to wait and see on that one?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
PAL sucks?

At least it is not Never The Same Color.

Seriously, PAL is far better for regular TV images.

ziran

has anybody heard anything about 50-60hz options in the uk wii hardware or in the games?

Citizen K said:

My tv here in the uk (non hd) only has scart sockets. If I import a USA Wii, how will I connect it? It'd come with composite, right? No way am I using composite. If I buy a PAL Wii I'd get a RGB scart cable. Would a USA Wii work with a Euro RGB Scart lead? Or do I have to wait and see on that one?
yeah, i think it's wait and see at the moment.

Wii said:
Not PAL GCN games :p
but but but

Godzilla Destroy All Monsters Melee PAL had progressive scan mode!

and...

oh no that was the only one.

i heard stupid rumours that freeloader still worked for cube games. have we confirmed how stupid these rumours are yet? (though it would be good news for eu peeps looking for prog scan cube games).

Ninja Dom

Citizen K said:

Here is an answer as far as running a US/JP Gamecube on a PAL TV using an RGB Scart adaptor (it doesn't work)....

Its because some jumpers inside the NTSC cubes were not soldered (perhaps to save production costs as few folks in USA and JPN have RGB)… However you can buy bastardised hybrid cables made from an official Nintendo component/VGA cable and a 21 pin SCART euroconnector, which work great, but expect to pay quite a bit..

MMaRsu

Banned
scola said:
How much is 480p when converted into american currency?

what?

crazyface.jpg

Top Bottom