• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii play is awesome

castle007

Banned
Wii play is looking like a great launch titles if you want to play a fun compilation of games like ping pong and air hockey.

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/853/853786/vids_1.html

http://wii.ign.com/articles/733/733110p1.html

"pinball, table hockey and pool, as well as a simple point-and-click shooting game and a minigame where you move your Mii (your Wii avatar) around on a city block -- a total of features nine different minigames are featured. Released in Japan as a double-pack alongside an extra Wii Remote for two-player gaming."

The japanese verson will come with a wiimote with it. Will NOA have the same thing??

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
YAY MORE MINI-GAMES!

Edit: However, if it does come out here cheaper than the Wiimote and includes one like the Japanese version I might get it.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Knock these types of games all you wish, but something like this has infinitely more 'non-gamer' market value than 95% of the stuff out there, and is a great springboard to get many people into deeper types of games. These are the kinds of games you show to people who couldnt care less about videogames, and theres a damn good chance theyll play them.

And that ping pong game really give me confidence to the precision of the controls.

sprocket

Banned
Wii play is awesome if its free with every Wiimote purchase .

Wiisports would be freaking awesome if it was online like it should be .

Polari

If it's a controller pack-in (or the price of a controller plus $10 or so) I don't really see how anyone can complain.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Wii play is awesome if its free with every Wiimote purchase

What kind of sense does that make. Everyone should have three copies? Buy the game and get a controller. That makes sense.

davepoobond said:
mini-games.....
next time i see someone playing air hockey i'll tell them they aren't playing a game at all, but a mini game.

same with pool.

but hey you don't want to hear it. so long as like the monkey ball series the party/mini games have hours of replayability in them, who cares?

sprocket

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
What kind of sense does that make. Everyone should have three copies? Buy the game and get a controller. That makes sense.

Makes perfect sense . These are two player games . pack in free with the Wiimote as an extra incentive .

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
This bundled with a Wiimote+chuck for $60 would make buying a second controller much more acceptable. We need this (Wii needs this:) here in the US. Comeon NOA!!

What kind of price would you expect for a bundle with a wiimote? $60? No way it's coming with the 'chuck.
DK:JB was $55 I believe with the bongos which were $30 seperately.

TheGreatDave said:
The Wiimote is supposed to be "free" with the game in Japan, there's no extra price. I think it was 4000-odd Yen.
Well, if that's the case, Nintendo had better have a lot of copies ready.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Looking forward to that bundle.

Actually I am looking forward to Bowling on WiiSports. I love bowling, and it looks freaking natural on the Wii.

castle007 said:
Wii play is looking like a great launch titles if you want to play a fun compilation of games like ping pong and air hockey.

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/853/853786/vids_1.html

http://wii.ign.com/articles/733/733110p1.html

"pinball, table hockey and pool, as well as a simple point-and-click shooting game and a minigame where you move your Mii (your Wii avatar) around on a city block -- a total of features nine different minigames are featured. Released in Japan as a double-pack alongside an extra Wii Remote for two-player gaming."

The japanese verson will come with a wiimote with it. Will NOA have the same thing??

Now if anything should come with the Wii, it's that. Come on.

That should be on the Wii hardware channel at purchase, fully ready to play online too. So you create your Mii, and then walk into a lobbyroom full of people on your friends list. At that point, you would be able to interact with their Wii, talk, and play some of these games.

Laser hockey looks fun as heck, but I'm not paying for that.

BooJoh

This will be worth buying for Duck Hunt alone... it does still have the Duck Hunt mode and not just shooting targets, right?

dyls

If you turn up the volume on the "Wii Pose" video, you can here a couple of girls laughing and cheering on the player. At one point a girl says "Oh my God, we have to get this game!"

Nintendo is, once again, onto something.

koam

sprocket said:
Makes perfect sense . These are two player games . pack in free with the Wiimote as an extra incentive .

I don't think you get what he means.

What they should do, is pack in 1 of the three mini games with each controller, that way if you buy 3 controllers, you get all three games instead of dupes.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
this is the kind of game you get for parties. Seriously, drunk fun is to be had with this kind of stuff (and Wario Ware)

Nintendo should have gone the HD/external HD route and let people dl these shitty things. It's a big enough pain in the ass to switch discs, but to switch discs for lame minigames?

castle007

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Nintendo should have gone the HD/external HD route and let people dl these shitty things. It's a big enough pain in the ass to switch discs, but to switch discs for lame minigames?

That is the thing about gamers that puzzles me. We can sit through a 2 minute loading time and complain a little, but we can't even switch a disk and start bitching about it :|

Son of Godzilla said:
if you think they're lame why would you be playing them? it's one thing to complain about having to switch disc mid game, but complaining about having to switch discs when you want to play a different game seems a bit... i don't know... excessive?

aparisi2274

When I was at the press conf in NYC on Thursday, I was playing Wii Play and I was enjoying it. It has a nice level of fun to it, but not for a full priced game... Which brings me to why I am replying to the thread... After I had played it I went over to look at another game, and Reggie comes over and starts talking to me and a couple of guys from MTV, and he was asking what we thought of Wii Play, because according to him, its not even on the list to be released as a game for the Wii... So he asked us if that is a game we would buy, and I was like "Sure I would get it, but not for $50" So we all chuckled and he said "well what about $39.99?", to which I laughed and then said "Make it $29.99, and you have yourself a deal" After that we all laughed and he went on to do some other interviews and whatnot, but if this games does eventually come out, it needs to be for a bargain price.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
aparisi2274 said:
When I was at the press conf in NYC on Thursday, I was playing Wii Play and I was enjoying it. It has a nice level of fun to it, but not for a full priced game... Which brings me to why I am replying to the thread... After I had played it I went over to look at another game, and Reggie comes over and starts talking to me and a couple of guys from MTV, and he was asking what we thought of Wii Play, because according to him, its not even on the list to be released as a game for the Wii... So he asked us if that is a game we would buy, and I was like "Sure I would get it, but not for $50" So we all chuckled and he said "well what about $39.99?", to which I laughed and then said "Make it $29.99, and you have yourself a deal" After that we all laughed and he went on to do some other interviews and whatnot, but if this games does eventually come out, it needs to be for a bargain price.

That I agree with... this is a game that gets played once a month when the right group of friends with the right circumstances come over.

Speevy

Banned
I'm watching the table tennis video and I have a question. Does this game play like you'd expect (swing with the Wiimote) or something else? It definitely looks a little different than I would have thought now that I've seen more than a few seconds.

ant1532

Banned
aparisi2274 said:
Wii need more of you around.

aparisi2274

Speevy said:
I'm watching the table tennis video and I have a question. Does this game play like you'd expect (swing with the Wiimote) or something else? It definitely looks a little different than I would have thought now that I've seen more than a few seconds.

Well I found the sensativity of the wiimote on pingpong to be really really poor... When you pick up the wii-mote and move your hand ever so slightly the paddle on screens flings all over the place... I had to make sure to just move my hand like an inch and then I got it to react properly.... But it does get harder, and I would rather play Rockstar Table Tennis for $29....

Now, Billards on the other hand, that was fun!!!

castle007

Banned
aparisi2274 said:
Well I found the sensativity of the wiimote on pingpong to be really really poor... When you pick up the wii-mote and move your hand ever so slightly the paddle on screens flings all over the place... I had to make sure to just move my hand like an inch and then I got it to react properly.... But it does get harder, and I would rather play Rockstar Table Tennis for $29....

Now, Billards on the other hand, that was fun!!!

But the video showed that the guy in the video had no problems controlling the game (ping pong)

Wii Play >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wii Sports

seriously, the Laser Hockey alone makes this a must have, I wish Wii Play was bundled instead of Wii Sports

another reason why I hate forced bundles, no choice

Speevy

Banned
castle007 said:
But the video showed that the guy in the video had no problems controlling the game (ping pong)

It doesn't even seem possible to miss in this demo unless your paddle is completely off the table. The player seems to be taking really broad swipes at it.

etiolate

Banned
Speevy said:
It doesn't even seem possible to miss in this demo unless your paddle is completely off the table. The player seems to be taking really broad swipes at it.

You can't even see what the guy playing is doing.

...wait

NO STOP

AHHHHHHHH NOT ANOTHER FAMILY PLAYING MOVIEeeeeee

That billiard game looks cool to play with the remote. I think it's great to have these different small games showcasing different ways of implementing the controller. Shows promise for future games too.

Rocked

What's with the same wankers moaning about mini games all the time? It's not like there isn't tons of normal games coming out on Wii (Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Forever Blue, Excitetruck, BWII etc...) Probably people with no friends to play with. We don't all have time to sit around in a dark basement (© Yamauchi) all day playing 40 hour epics.

I love games like this as well as the 'non games' on DS. I'm too busy to play loads of epic titles, although I'll make an exception for Zelda. :D It's the quirky/novelty games I'm most looking forward to on Wii.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I love it that, along with Wii Sports, I will have 15 party games to boot from day one. Bundled with the hardware. Nice value.

Top Bottom