Wii U bricks if you shut down during software update process

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2005
Florida
I feel bad if his system is really bricked, and I know accidents happen, but its pretty common knowledge not to turn the power off on any device in the middle of updating. If it's bricked at least you know Nintendo will fix it.

whitehawk

leeches are the best bait when attempting to land bass
Jan 27, 2008
Canada
1. Why would you do that?
2. I'm highly positive there is a recovery mode, but the guy on twitter has chosen the GAF approach and has decided to complain on Twitter before troubleshooting himself.

Otoh. What if power goes out in the house.

This shouldn't happened.

Dont you only lose game saves on current consoles if this happened?
In theory you should be able to brick anything writing to the firmware.

The notable part here would be that it's a two hour process, so the odds of something going wrong is much higher than like a five minute upgrade.

Apr 15, 2011
Is it really that long? That's the bigger problem, not that this can happen but that there's that huge window for where it CAN happen. Hopefully if it's really that long it's NOT that long for future updates, a bit easier to handle a brick on a brand new system, even if it is frustrating to need to send it in and get Nintendo to replace it.

I've been needing a UPS again, perhaps that should've been the higher priority.

Feb 7, 2005
Otoh. What if power goes out in the house?

This shouldn't happen.

Dont you only lose game saves on current consoles if this happened?
You run the risk of bricking any piece of hardware if you're doing something as critical as writing to the firmware. That's why you get messages all the time on the Wii, 360, PS3, PSP, 3DS, and Vita warning you to not turn the power off while it's doing it.

Jun 6, 2004
In theory you should be able to brick anything writing to the firmware.

The notable part here would be that it's a two hour process, so the odds of something going wrong is much higher than like a five minute upgrade.
You would think there would be a method of recovery with a layer that exists outside of the firmware. Sony's been doing this for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.