• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Thanks for the impressions, Penguin. Shame it was so crowded you didn't get to try it all.

-----

Here are some more celebrity shots from the Wii U NYC event....

147240905.jpg

147240911.jpg

That is somebody named Adrienne Bailon.

Source: http://modoration.com/2012/06/29/ad...-nintendos-wii-u-experience-in-new-york-city/

^ She's too focused on the photo ops to believe she even remotely cares.

The thing is he was wrong. Xbox 360 dev kit jump gpu just like ps3.

He said they use x1900. The truth is 360 dev kits were 9800pro, and next was x800 then production gpu. He said x1900 were in the dev kit but I don't remember them uses this gpu at all in dev kits. X1900 came out after the x360 even launched....

I focused more on that comment than the content. I remember it the same way as you do.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
What would be the comparable specs for the 720? PS4?

nikatapi

I must say i've been lurking since the first WiiU speculation thread, and i really enjoy the discussions lately. Too bad i don't have both much knowledge and info to contribute more.

As far as the power of the console, the most interesting aspect is the GPU, since it seems to be customised a lot, unfortunately we haven't seen something that impressive yet. But maybe Nintendo is holding key titles for the next e3, so they can compete with the unveilling of the next Sony and MS consoles.

For now, at least to me nothing is that impressive, both from a graphical and a gameplay aspect. The most promising titles seem to be ZombiU (if done right) which i thought it had some interesting stuff going on with lighting and Rayman Legends which looks like a blast to play with friends.

An interesting aspect which Nintendo at the moment seems to avoid mentioning is the utilization of 3DS connectivity. It would be pretty interesting to see what they could do, since they've been experimenting with this concept since the GameCube. Even the ability to use a 3DS as a controller would be pretty cool, but i hope we will see more interesting uses, since the concept seems to have a lot of potential.

I think NintendoLand has potential, but really need to see how the final package is flushed out. As fun as the games were, I feel like each needs at least 4-5 different maps to really keep the experience fresh and fun. And perhaps.. shorter tutorials.

I think that's it for now.
And for Gahi, there were no power adapters on display. :(

If it comes for free with system I dont imagine there will be fleshed out maps. How does 12 different games with the one map for each compare to Wii Sports? Or Wii Play? Its been a long-ass time since Ive played both..

Also, did you play/do you know what there is to do in the hub part? You just walk round to each attraction or is there somethin else to do? Also could you press the home button on the controller or get any hint what the Menu/Home screen for the Wii U would be like?

D-e-f-

Banned
Hey, I have a question. Are Rock Pikmin impervious to fire?

I'm guessing the Rock Pikmin will only be able to fight and not carry or build anything. Maybe they'll melt in fire or become Lava Pikmin? :) Fire might also just incapacitate them or something so that the Red Pikmin stay the de-facto fire-resistant Pikmin.

The thing they showed (in the Nintendo Direct video) seemed more like a message board than Twitter, although I'm thinking it might be automatically tied to points in games/context aware or something (I guess vaguely like Dark Souls' messages?).

And yeah I wouldn't mind Flash, but lack of it can be overcome, like it's not like it's been a huge hinderance for the iPhone and iPad.  (That said I miss it for questionable legitimacy TV show websites, and a few legitimate ones here and there like Hulu, otherwise not much)

From what I've seen, it could mean that there are even different kinds of message features. First, there is this Wara Wara thing that you see when you boot up the system with all the Miis hanging out around games which displays messages. I expect that you'll be able to click on that and see more messages and browse through them.

Then, there's the friend feed we saw the guy in the promo use (which his friend accessed in the café from his phone). This one looked a lot like a twitter feed.

THEN you have the Miiverse integration into something like NSMB.U, which lets you post messages after the game asks "how do you feel about the fact that you suck?" which then works in the Dark Souls-manner you mentioned and show these messages at the spot where you died or achieved something awesome (since there were also messages on the world map and these achievement markers). I believe ZombiU has a feature like that, as well since the creative director or producer (don't remember what title she had) who gave most of the interviews is totally in love with Dark Souls which had a high degree of influence on ZombiU.

That's one thing I find also funny/sad about many in the gaming press. They claim "Nintendo hasn't said anything about their online stuff" when they've shown SO MUCH and most of it's unique and actually kinda new!

Any idea if this will be region locked.

you can be relatively sure about that. this is a case where the answer "... it's Nintendo" definitely still applies. especially since they started region locking handhelds with the DSi (due to the online store integration and "issues" with ratings for certain territories) which is absolutely bananas (no Iwata intended). I'd love for a company to finally see the complete anti-consumer effect region locking has and get rid of it in all areas.

Probably, but I hope not for downloads

that's the area where it most likely will be region locked because Nintendo loves to hardcode the regions into the console's hardware or firmware which is why you can only hack yourself into other region's Wii Shops by messing with the firmware, for example. their "safety for children/parents" thing gets in the way of a region free system, sadly.

there's a slight chance that the account based system means something similar to how the PS3 handles thing (you can simply choose your country and the system will accept that no matter what) and not like the 360 does it (geo-ninjas your IP address and restricts your access to the online stuff based on that if your region has a specific "eff you!" policy).

Gahiggidy

Thought that somebody should update that console-size-comparison picture with the Wii U (seen from above)

i8WTv5RLFAtah.png

thumbs_up.gif
I'm guessing the Rock Pikmin will only be able to fight and not carry or build anything. Maybe they'll melt in fire or become Lava Pikmin? :) Fire might also just incapacitate them or something so that the Red Pikmin stay the de-facto fire-resistant Pikmin.

Oh, but I think its the opposite; I believe they can carry stuff but not fight. They don't latch on to enemies and do the head-butt thing like the others. As far as I can tell they are only used as projectile weapons for offense.

Hey, anyone who gets a chance to play the Pikmin 3 demo try this:

Kill all your Pikmin at the very start of the game. Immediately go around the level and whistle up the red Pikmin scattered around the level. Than lead them straight into that little pool of water. I want to see what happens after that. If nothing, than go find a spotty bulborb and let him chow down on you until your health is depleted. I'm curious if the demo has programmed anything for these scenarios.

D-e-f-

Banned
Oh, but I think its the opposite; I believe they can carry stuff but not fight. They don't latch on to enemies and do the head-butt thing like the others. As far as I can tell they are only used as projectile weapons for offense.

Oh sorry, yea, that's what I meant by fighting (Not-Olimar flinging them at enemies/objects as projectile weapons).

Ah! I found something in the Press Conference Demo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI87_YzSlIM&feature=player_detailpage#t=120s

Rock Pikmin can carry objects and will manually fight by running into an enemy over and over again.

So what's their weakness?

edit:

HA! found something else!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI87_YzSlIM&feature=player_detailpage#t=240s

when Rock Pikmin come in contact with fire, they basically turn into walking candles! so you'll probably have to burn a lot of thing in this game :)

edit2:

rewatching that also made clear to me how important the map on the gamepad will actually be when you have 4 playable characters on the map at the same time and have to switch between them constantly. it seems since they only showed the challenge mode with one playable character and only very basic features, nobody in the press picked up on that which causes them to say "ugh, yea ...the touch screen is just a map so who cares".

Gahiggidy

I was just about to post the same thing. I assume they die soon after being lit on fire like that.

I'm not much of a tech guy so can someone tell me the benefits of a systems having 1.5GB to 2GB of RAM, compared to say 512MB.
You'll have more space for textures, geometry, background tasks, caching... whatever you need really. Suffices to say the more RAM the better, even if you weren't to need it you could be loading the data for the next area to avoid loading times; no such thing as too much RAM, but there's a balance that needs to be struck and that's performance/price; also there's certainly a space budget to it, a console can't just take 8 GB of high grade RAM because it's really compact; the faster the RAM is the less MB capacity each chip has typically, meaning you need to pack more of them.

GPU Framebuffer and CPU cache are terms for RAM also, albeit faster and way more expensive one.

A game won't necessarily be 25% better for having 25% extra RAM (512 MB in 2 GB amounts to that) but getting a game to run is always a work of optimization and compression, with quality tradeoff's (devkits often have double the RAM the final console has, in order to beta code to run more easily, sans-optimization). The less RAM you have the more thinkering around you need to do, to an extent you're damaging the game, be it in texture definition be it in texture compression; think low res and/or over compressed (some times both).

Lack of RAM is one of the reasons X360 and PS3 are looking so tired now, even more so than their framebuffers and fillrate; they just can't keep up in open scenery detail without tricks and sub-HD anymore.

I wish the RAM expansion slot would make a comeback to a console, if they really want to expand their lifespan I feel that could really give the manufacturer that goes with it an edge in the long run.

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm not much of a tech guy so can someone tell me the benefits of a systems having 1.5GB to 2GB of RAM, compared to say 512MB.

the short, non-techie answer from a non-techie who knows just a little bit: more RAM -> more stuff on screen.

RAM is where the data gets stored for the stuff you currently have on screen or stuff you "might" call up any second to appear on screen (so it's relevant for using the Home button or calling up the Dashboard or XMB on other systems). Remember the N64 and the 4MB (?) expansion pack that came with DK64 and Majora's Mask? that gave you higher resolution textures because it couldn't load those higher res files into the the RAM before.

Not too sure but it probably also contributes to loading times because it might be able to store more in the RAM.

Now one of our tech guys can add the more precise description or call out my mistakes :)
edit: see post abve this one :D (thanks lostinblue!)

the short, non-techie answer from a non-techie who knows just a little bit: more RAM -> more stuff on screen.

RAM is where the data gets stored for the stuff you currently have on screen or stuff you "might" call up any second to appear on screen (so it's relevant for using the Home button or calling up the Dashboard or XMB on other systems). Remember the N64 and the 4MB (?) expansion pack that came with DK64 and Majora's Mask? that gave you higher resolution textures because it couldn't load those higher res files into the the RAM before.

Not too sure but it probably also contributes to loading times because it might be able to store more in the RAM.

Now one of our tech guys can add the more precise description or call out my mistakes :)
Not sure if I count as a tech guy, but I see nothing wrong with the explanation; it's certainly more down to earth than mine. I like it :)

D-e-f-

Banned
This would be a great idea.

except that everyone is really scared of userbase fragmentation. Wii Motion Plus, Classic Controller, Playstation Move/Sub-controller are a good example for this.

imagine they now had to market RAM expansions to people in order to play a game at all or play a game like it was meant to. this creates more work for devs cause they have to make their already super-complex games work without the RAM expansion and with the RAM expansion and produce a worthwile upgrade if you have the thing. this also adds another variable to debugging and testing the expansion with every model of your console. plus you have to account for that when you design your system in the first place.

it's a neat idea from a consumer perspective which means we could buy a 30-50 dollar RAM expansion and in theory get a few more years out of our console in relation to the evolution of PC versions. but from a business perspective, it's a nightmare. peripherals/add-ons are always trouble.

llehuty

except that everyone is really scared of userbase fragmentation. Wii Motion Plus, Classic Controller, Playstation Move/Sub-controller are a good example for this.

imagine they now had to market RAM expansions to people in order to play a game at all or play a game like it was meant to. this creates more work for devs cause they have to make their already super-complex games work without the RAM expansion and with the RAM expansion and produce a worthwile upgrade if you have the thing. this also adds another variable to debugging and testing the expansion with every model of your console. plus you have to account for that when you design your system in the first place.

it's a neat idea from a consumer perspective which means we could buy a 30- RAM expansion and in theory get a few more years out of our console in relation to the evolution of PC versions. but from a business perspective, it's a nightmare. peripherals/add-ons are always trouble.

Thanks for the explanation, but then, why it wasn't a problem with the N64?

PS: I still can't believe I had my account validated :)

z0m3le

Banned
All multi-platform games in Nintendo systems are ports. Because people don't expect them to be made for the systems in the first place.

By the way, I'd love to see a detailed analysis of the costs associated with adding a third or forth platform for multi-platform games.

For example, what is the break even sell-through for Darksiders II on Wii U?

Well:http://www.gamespy.com/articles/108/1082176p1.html
"The average Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 game costs between $15 million and $30 million to make, Ibis estimates, and a $15 million game must sell at least 500,000 copies to break even, double that for a $30 million title..."

If you consider that it takes 10 to 20 people 1 to 2 years to port a PS360 game to Wii U, (DS2 port is a 10 man team that has been working on the Wii U version for ~20 months when it releases I believe)
And you consider the average game developer to make 100k a year, you are looking at about $1.8 million for DS2. To make a profit, Wii U's version will need to sell 67k copies or more.

Basically if those numbers are still true today, you have to sell about 34k copies per million dollars you spend. The problem is this industry is making games that cost 200m (just in marketing: CoD) that means it has to sell about 7 Million copies just to cover marketing, and another 1.5 million or so before it's profitable.

Wii U can be ported to, from a business perspective, it makes no sense not to port a game, so I don't see third parties ignoring Wii U as much as they ignored Wii (which could not be ported to, and it's games cost between 5m - 7m to make from the ground up using more man power and/or time)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Only three games ever required the N64 expansion pack to play and access most features. Other games were simply enhanced with higher resolution textures and rendering, and sometimes additional features (eg: four players instead of two). And if I recall correctly, Nintendo made an effort to offer bundles for the games that required it.

So with September coming close with exciting news coming from Nintendo on price/Release date and future titles. God can the Wii U get here any sooner :(

USC-fan, if that's the case, do you think its a mistake for Ubisoft to bring games like Assassin's Creed III to the Wii U? And Sega's Aliens game?

With regard to Ass Creed depending upon when the Wii U releases it could be a waste of resources. If Wii U doesn't release until Nov, while the game comes in Oct coupled with the established audience owning PS360s then it will sell very poorly I imagine. Although it may be more of a long game move by Ubisoft.

z0m3le

Banned
With regard to Ass Creed depending upon when the Wii U releases it could be a waste of resources. If Wii U doesn't release until Nov, while the game comes in Oct coupled with the established audience owning PS360s then it will sell very poorly I imagine. Although it may be more of a long game move by Ubisoft.

As I pointed out, it won't have to sell many copies to actually make a profit on Wii U, even if it's 20 people working on it for 2 years, that is only $4 million dollars, which means they would have to sell ~150,000 copies to make a profit, that's almost guaranteed for a launch title, heck even batman could pull off those numbers. For comparison Red Steel sold over 1million units.

MDX

Suffices to say the more RAM the better, even if you weren't to need it you could be loading the data for the next area to avoid loading times; no such thing as too much RAM,

Are you sure about that? I thought there was a point that too much ram actually slowed things down.

Gahiggidy

Are you saying that an N64 with infinite RAM could make better looking games than an N64 with, say, 16 Gigs? Is there no pont where the rest of the machine's limitations make more RAM useless?

MDX

Well:http://www.gamespy.com/articles/108/1082176p1.html

If you consider that it takes 10 to 20 people 1 to 2 years to port a PS360 game to Wii U, (DS2 port is a 10 man team that has been working on the Wii U version for ~20 months when it releases I believe)
And you consider the average game developer to make 100k a year, you are looking at about $1.8 million for DS2. To make a profit, Wii U's version will need to sell 67k copies or more.

Basically if those numbers are still true today, you have to sell about 34k copies per million dollars you spend. The problem is this industry is making games that cost 200m (just in marketing: CoD) that means it has to sell about 7 Million copies just to cover marketing, and another 1.5 million or so before it's profitable.

Wii U can be ported to, from a business perspective, it makes no sense not to port a game, so I don't see third parties ignoring Wii U as much as they ignored Wii (which could not be ported to, and it's games cost between 5m - 7m to make from the ground up using more man power and/or time)

When advertising costs are so high, you bet publishers need to spread their ROI across as many platforms as possible.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Are you saying that an N64 with infinite RAM could make better looking games than an N64 with, say, 16 Gigs? Is there no pont where the rest of the machine's limitations make more RAM useless?

Well, yes and no. You have to have architecture that can adequately accompany large amounts of RAM, and most importantly game engines that will make use of that RAM. With modern hardware the former isn't really a problem, at least on PC, where you can stick a ton of RAM in the system at no cost. Adding RAM certainly won't make games run slower.

Problem is how much RAM an engine is optimised to use. In gaming, a vast majority of engines won't make any use of 4GB at most (main RAM, that is, separate to VRAM). So you can have 8GB (like I do) or 16GB and in 99% of games you won't see any performance increase.

But this is also largely due to most games targeting shitty current gen console specs, and thus lacking asset detail and complexity that would normally require so much RAM.

Lots of RAM is good for games that deal with a lot of data, whether it be streaming new levels in dynamically and avoiding loading screens, or large sandbox environments with lots of stuff going on. And, of course, lots of RAM opens doors to very high resolution textures.

For the Wii U, compared to next generation projections, raw texture detail and stuff like that won't be much of a problem. Super high quality textures will take a noticeable, significant hit, but you can always downgrade asset complexity to free up space. Large, complex, and highly detailed sandbox style games will be where problems start occurring. The Elder Scrolls series, for example, benefits from both large storage and RAM. Lots of data to 'remember' and juggle.

I mean, looking to the past, Majora's Mask's NPC interactivity made heavy use of the extra RAM added by the expansion pack. Same goes for the larger multiplayer functions of Perfect Dark.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Only three games ever required the N64 expansion pack to play and access most features. Other games were simply enhanced with higher resolution textures and rendering, and sometimes additional features (eg: four players instead of two). And if I recall correctly, Nintendo made an effort to offer bundles for the games that required it.
There were definitely bundles that included the Nintendo 64 Expansion Pak. I believe there was an SKU like that for Donkey Kong 64.

And just some quotes from Nintendo regarding this accessory, for those that don't know much about it:

The Nintendo Expansion Pak is a memory upgrade for the Nintendo 64 console. The Expansion Pak adds four megabytes of Random Access Memory (RAM) to the machine. With the Expansion Pak inserted into the system, Expansion Pak games will have additional features, such as more detailed and colorful graphics, higher resolutions, longer instant replays, extra characters on screen, and more. How the Expansion Pak improves the game depends on what the programmers decided to do for that particular title. For games featuring the Expansion Pak icon at left, the Expansion Pak is an optional accessory.

Expansion Pak Required Games:

Sometimes, larger games, like Donkey Kong 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, require more memory capacity, and therefore bear the "Expansion Pak Required" icon at left. You must have an Expansion Pak in the Nintendo 64 to be able to play these games. Once you have an Expansion Pak installed in your N64 control deck, it is not necessary to remove it.
I would really appreciate something like this for Wii U, but how would you implement it? Nothing indicates a slot similar to that of the Nintendo 64, so I assume it would have to be either via USB or NFC.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 feature a function called ReadyBoost. It lets you improve system performance by utilizing a flash memory device (USB flash drive, SD card etc.) as as additional memory cache. Reports show that this device doesn't do much to improve performance, but I assume it could work well for Wii U if Nintendo uses a proprietary unit.

Otherwise, we can revisit a suggestion I made a while ago:

I'm not a developer nor very smart in the field of computer physics, so my suggestion here may be total jargon, but could perhaps provide some food for thought. Anyway, after the revealing Rayman Legends video and the demonstration of figurines using the Near Field Communication features of Wii U, I came to think of what other uses this technology could have in relation to Wii U's hardware. I have previously written about the Nintendo 64 Expansion Pak and how I would enjoy if something like that was made available for Wii U (for Nintendo to utilize if the other next generation consoles from Microsoft and Sony respectively pack much more RAM etc.). This idea was met with healthy skepticism, and due to the form of modern motherboards and such this is probably not something that would work well. But, there might be another solution.

While searching for the rather stupid term "wireless RAM", I came across the Wireless F-RAM memory by Ramtron. Now, this is non-volatile memory and thus not the usual random access memory we talk about for Wii U. However, it apparently performs reads and writes like a RAM, so a slightly different volatile version could perhaps be developed. Its specs aren't that impressive, if we talk using it for Wii U anyway, with only 16-Kilobit of memory. So, to gain approximately 2 Gigabyte using these, it would require at least one million units (if my math is correct). Using these natively is therefore probably not a good idea. What I'm wondering is if you could perhaps use NFC to add more RAM (for example DDR3) to Wii U. This F-RAM uses RFID which is similar to NFC.

Wireless memory evidently exists in some fashion, so what to discuss here is whether a sufficient amount of RAM (or other type of volatile memory) can be added wirelessly, via NFC, to Wii U or if it would be too costly. Is such a thing even possible?

Source: http://www.ramtron.com/products/wire...ct.aspx?id=124
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37380812&postcount=15275

I believe lherre mentioned that such a thing would be very slow and thus not very attractive for developers. Nonetheless, it is one opportunity.

EatChildren

Rösti;39384424 said:
I believe lherre mentioned that such a thing would be very slow and thus not very attractive for developers. Nonetheless, it is one opportunity.

Yeah, it would be very slow. The main benefit of RAM is the tremendous speed it can read and write data. Without a dedicated expansion slot, directly connected to the main board, the Wii U's main RAM won't be upgradable.

Storage space is another matter though. Some games benefit from installations, accessing data from both the disk and main drive. Skyrim performs better installed on the Xbox 360 than it does directly off the disk. Though I don't if that's just a workaround for RAM limitations of the 360.

Are you sure about that? I thought there was a point that too much ram actually slowed things down.
No, not really unless it surpasses some physical limit; like how 32 bit chips could only address 4 GB of RAM; workstations started surpassing that long ago (and before their chips could address more than 4 GB of RAM), doing so though had a performance hit.

Also, not really related but as mentioned, max available memory size varies according to the RAM technology; if you go with something somewhat slow and proven like DDR3 you'll find 2 Gbit/512 MB chips pretty easily, if you're aiming for GDDR5 only hynix is doing 2 Gbit/512 MB chips right now (probably not really viable for a console right now due to that). That's why how mobile phones get 512 MB of slow memory and a console gets 512 MB is not really comparable, console's go for having less of high performing RAM than having more of low performing RAM because of the tradeoff that would mean. (and this is hard to explain in simple terms, but slow RAM is a bottleneck because if it's slow CPU and GPU have to wait a lot per cycle for it to be available and transfered).

Various banks of different memory like how PS3 did it (256 MB of XDR Rambus RAM and 256 MB of GDDR3) can also be a pain in the arse, because they behave differently, are clocked differently and are more closely linked to certain parts of the hardware (I recall XDR is clocked at the cpu speed, and it's DMA bus is more closely tied to it than the GPU) require a lot more tinkering around to work than a unified memory bank if you, say, actually want to spend more RAM on graphics than cpu tasks (which happens is quite obviously very often)

Theoretically though, it's all good.

D-e-f-

Banned

PS: I still can't believe I had my account validated :)

as EC already explained hardly any games supported it and thus it sort of was a problem.

history also shows that hardware add-ons have never been a big hit until something like the balance board happened. those Sega add-ons like the CD-drive for the genesis and stuff like that for other systems went largely unsupported simply because the install base wasn't there and these things fragmented the userbase. you effectively can't count on the X million systems that are out there, you have look at the usually very few add-ons that have been sold.

you see that happening right now with the Circle Pad Pro for the 3DS. Nintendo barely acknowledges its existence and only Kid Icarus Uprising supports it (as far as 1st party games go) to enable a left-handed player control scheme (does not offer camera control). people are up in arms about the 3DS XL not adding a second stick to the system itself but that is precisely the fragmented userbase issue at work. (also their pride since it would mean they give in and admit they should've designed the 3DS with 2 circle pads in the first place)

that's also why you're seeing so little movement on the Kinect front. what's coming out there is only party game stuff and only one mechanically complex, "serious" game (steel battalion) came out for it so far. those "better with Kinect" titles are seldom seen and usually only happen for big franchises on a gimmick level that's not essential because you have a gazillion Xbox 360s in the market but only a comparatively tiny amount of Kinects. and Kinect is something that has huge marketing appeal and sold pretty well for an accessory.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
doesn't make sense. You start at r700 10.1dx when evergreen were already out dx11. If what you are saying did happen yet I have not seen anything that says they moved from r700. But I hope they did because if they didn't the performance will barely be above the ps360.
What doesn't make sense is to move to Evergreen given your target platform is not closer to Evergreen architecturally than it's to Wekiva.

Ms did too... 360 dev kits were 9800pro, and next where x800. I don't think they ever had a x1900. But I know for a fact what were in the x360 early dev kits.
Right, my bad - memory crosswired. R420 was in the 360 devkits. R580 was a performance buddy in something else (not MS' product at all). About that 'contraption' R350 was in, you might want to call that G5 mac with the SDK a devkit, but I wouldn't. 360's actual ('beta') devkit arrived as late as late June '05, and those had R420. Regardless, what I said still holds, though - there were post-R420 AMD parts (e.g. 520) available during the lifespan of the beta devkit and before the arrival of the final dekvit (i.e. Jul-Sep span) and those parts were not used in beta devkits revisions simply because it made little sense to use them - they were neither that much closer architecturally, nor closer performance-wise to Xenos, so MS did not bother with those. Same reason you won't see a !Wekiva in the beta U devkits. It makes no sense to upgrade your devkits to Evergreen, etc, just because those later parts are compliant with some API version you are only marginally interested in. Same with Xenos, whose architecture is much closer to SM4 but MS did not give a rats ass what version it was compliant to, as it had is own DX version.

Rösti;39384424 said:
I would really appreciate something like this for Wii U, but how would you implement it? Nothing indicates a slot similar to that of the Nintendo 64, so I assume it would have to be either via USB or NFC.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 feature a function called ReadyBoost. It lets you improve system performance by utilizing a flash memory device (USB flash drive, SD card etc.) as as additional memory cache. Reports show that this device doesn't do much to improve performance, but I assume it could work well for Wii U if Nintendo uses a proprietary unit.
That's not extra RAM though, it's extra memory for caching purposes; what was popularized in the 90's as a "scratch disk", it really helped in photoshop back in the day.

I've been told the wii actually had 64 MB of the NAN flash bank dedicated to caching/available to developers; but it was seldom used.

Max speed for caching over usb 2.0 would be 60 MB/s (theoretical, usb cables do packet loss like bitches in a crack hotel) to expose how slow that is let's just say N64's peak RAM bandwidth was 560 MB/s.
Rösti;39384424 said:
Otherwise, we can revisit a suggestion I made a while ago:
Not really interesting, as you'd lack DMA channels (direct memory access) even the distance the memory is wielded next to the processing unit that uses it matters (hence why embedding it has it's advantages), wireless would be crap/no real reason to do it.

Penguin

Thanks for sharing.

One question though:

I read a few impression and none of them really spoke much of this.

How responsive/sensitive was the Wu-Pad to your touch?

Of all the E3 videos I've seen, I haven't notice anyone having any trouble, even though their touch didn't seem the least bit forceful. There were time the booth representative would reach over and manipulate the screen - with almost capacitive-screen-like ease - while players were holding the Pad. It seems a heck of a lot more sensitive than 3DS(which is decent itself).

This all seems positive, but I'm curious to hear how it felt for you.

I can honestly say didn't realize any problems with it.

Granted the only games I played that required it were the Ninja star one and Rayman.

But the Ninja stars threw... when the game didn't crash on me
And Rayman was rather responsive as well.

z0m3le

Banned
Yeah, it would be very slow. The main benefit of RAM is the tremendous speed it can read and write data. Without a dedicated expansion slot, directly connected to the main board, the Wii U's main RAM won't be upgradable.

Storage space is another matter though. Some games benefit from installations, accessing data from both the disk and main drive. Skyrim performs better installed on the Xbox 360 than it does directly off the disk. Though I don't if that's just a workaround for RAM limitations of the 360.

Skyrim used 2GB of system memory and could not use any more (PC version obviously) though you could tweek it in the config to handle more ram which I believe helped with draw distances.

As for the hard drive being used as virtual memory, a USB stick can give similar results (in some cases even out performing the 360's sata drive) It's mostly because seek times are very important for loading data and because hard drives (mechanical in nature) top out around 60-70MB for your average HDD, now USB 2.0 is only going to give you ~35MB/s of sustained data transfer, but usually the seek times play a bigger role. There are benchmarks online about it, and I've had a grueling conversation with someone in this thread about it a month or two back. Wii U's caching problem should be non existent when moving beyond the ram of the system.

you see that happening right now with the Circle Pad Pro for the 3DS. Nintendo barely acknowledges its existence and only Kid Icarus Uprising supports it (as far as 1st party games go) to enable a left-handed player control scheme (does not offer camera control). people are up in arms about the 3DS XL not adding a second stick to the system itself but that is precisely the fragmented userbase issue at work. (also their pride since it would mean they give in and admit they should've designed the 3DS with 2 circle pads in the first place)
I believe there's more to it than that, it's called intentional feature crippling, Nintendo and Apple are masters at it, although you can't be always right you have to take out features in order to favour others. Similarly, cases like PS Vita are often called feature creeped.

They're two sides of the same coin, really, feature creeping mostly happens when a company has no clue what the next big thing's gonna be and to compensate for the lack of vision for the future they opt to push everything up a notch, intentional feature crippling if when the vision is so strong they're not afraid to effectively cripple the console as a means to an end.

I can't recommend reading this article more:

-> http://www.asktog.com/columns/082iPad&Mac.html

Talks about how classic mac came out without arrow key's on purpose, was criticized for it and re-introduced them later on, "all according to plan" no less. It's the poster child for this method of going about it. The reason for the omission was so devs had to put the effort in a mouse operated interface back in 1984, as not doing so and remapping arrow key's to keyboard key's would obviously humiliate them; the result was an infancy of pain for the platform, but it managed to do the switch a full ten years before PC managed to (with Windows 95), it happened that way though because of how far they were willing to go in order to impose it.

On the Nintendo side, there are lots of intentional feature crippling as well. I guess the more popular ones are the Wii itself and the way it didn't bring about a classic controller (doing so would allow devs to ignore the new control method) and well... The 3DS.

Nintendo realized long ago the core customer and dev wanted a second analog in there, just like they actually wanted one analog on DS before it, they only conceded to one because they clearly feel that a dual analog standard control scheme on a portable would be less than ideal as an experience as for FPS's there would be a steeper step in there for "regular gamers" or "gaming on the go" could complicate some games, take from using features such as the gyroscope and the touch screen and developers could over-rely on it as a means to excuse the way their camera doesn't behave correctly by making you use that extra stick all the time. That's perfectly valid on a home console of course (and they know that) but would overcomplicate and fail to differentiate the experience on there.

Hence, they didn't make it part of the initial standard for the platform on purpose; it doesn't matter if they go back at it, and they won't be bummed about it if they do (why would they, they know from the moment they release a unit with it embedded they'll sell some extra units anyway; it's a win-win situation), because not including it in the first place served a purpose for them (you can't possibly do a game now without a "simpler" control scheme, it'll never be standard unless you do a exclusive game for circle pro/circle pro enabled models which greatly reduces your userbase too).
that's also why you're seeing so little movement on the Kinect front. what's coming out there is only party game stuff and only one mechanically complex, "serious" game (steel battalion) came out for it so far. those "better with Kinect" titles are seldom seen and usually only happen for big franchises on a gimmick level that's not essential because you have a gazillion Xbox 360s in the market but only a comparatively tiny amount of Kinects. and Kinect is something that has huge marketing appeal and sold pretty well for an accessory.
I'd wager a big part of it is that Kinect sucks, it was a well intentioned move on their part, but the execution is all over the place and it's performance overly dependent of the elements at place (light, distance, space, low res).

The only reason it took off the ground was because X360 was moving from being a nerd's basement room console to the living room (with the netflix and the like) and thus people were probably on the dillema buy kinect or buy a wii for the kid?

That and because the X360 game market was such a "red ocean" saturated market at that point that third party developers actually saw an opportunity in there.

D-e-f-

Banned
letters words and grammar (re: hardware add-ons)

Totally agreed. I was gonna suggest that intentionally imposing hardware limitations on devs as well but then got distracted :p

I can totally see this being one of the main reasons even as they tend to mention limitations leading to creativity a lot in Iwata Asks features and devs in general calling that out when talking about older games.

Totally agreed. I was gonna suggest that intentionally imposing hardware limitations on devs as well but then got distracted :p

I can totally see this being one of the main reasons even as they tend to mention limitations leading to creativity a lot in Iwata Asks features and devs in general calling that out when talking about older games.

The Gameboy Advance even went through a variation of this: while the graphical power of the system was a souped-up SNES, the system only had two face buttons and shoulder buttons.

When do developers actually get retail versions of the actual GPU's and CPU's that will be in the retail WiiU in their dev kit? When mass production starts in a couple of months or do they get them in a few weeks? They are still using equivalent parts even at this moment correct?

Does anyone have any word on that front?

I suspect the biggest reason was forcing the devs to take extra time to refine their camera work so it didn't need to be user adjusted/get adjusted all the time.
I also tend to feel that way about gaming in general. Limitations help when it comes to staying focused, hence why games that get lost with the freedom notion are often a trainwreck; creativity, when coming at the expense of a lot of extra work gets lost because of the extra emphasis on something having to be profitable (hence, not taking risks) and the fact everything takes so long to do (I recall Zelda's fishing game happened because fishing was the hobbie of the main programmer, and he'd work on it on his free time or "undercover" if he was too overcharged with work there's no guarantee that could be in). Really takes the soul out of any game.

A lot of people tend to feel that the more power the better (and in the paper, yes, the easier it is to get something running the better; but that's also a fallacy, if running a 128 bit game on a X360 is easy then you don't do a 128 bit game anymore). That's not necessarily true, for there's not really a switch in there that says "max details on", stuff like if you crawl the grass bends, tree's branches moving with the wind or generating more than 5 faces on a FPS game are not automatic, every detail takes time to implement and the more detailed a game is the more work it takes. That's why after 6 years Crysis still looks so good, the gpu tech improved, but if other dev chases after the same thing they practically have to start anew when it comes to details; unless they use pre-loaded engine's for everything, which is certainly Epic's plan. And maybe I'm old fashioned but that dependency on external tech is not something I find good for the industry, in the end it might be a monopoly just like any other; a monopoly within a market who had it's monopolies), no less.

Also, from my experience having a briefing whose end is never in sight is certainly not good too, it drains the workers too much and stresses them out (if they're doing lots of extra hours too), for a worker to be motivated it has to be able to see what's missing and when is he done with something; the quality of the end job goes down the drain otherwise.

Our industry is burning out talent like never before, before it was because of the trial and error involved in making new kinds of games (I remember some developers for Mario 64 and Saturn games quitted the industry altogether because these new projects were really uncharted territory and there weren't good tools to assist it's production), that felt like a means to a transitory end but now we have the tools but suddenly it's all about how graphically polished it needs to get. Seems kind of wrong.

z0m3le was talking about development costs a few posts up, a current gen game costing 15 million is a really cheap game; they often cost 30 million if not more.

An FF last gen costed 30 million, with full 5 year production and FMV's, when this gen started the rule was multiply by four, so a FF costing more than 100 million was no surprise; I doubt the figure dropped to less than 3 times the dev costs seeing the work needed on assets. I believe 20 something million for a exclusive game is the norm, almost 30 for a multiplat one (costs an extra 3/4 million if done alongside); but I haven't looked at where those numbers were stated for 1/2 years so I'm talking out of my memory alone.

I also remember stranglehold costing 30 million, sure the costs dropped a little, but still.

Of course, with all that said you can't go against progression altogether, which is why any platform should be appropriately powerful for what it is.

Sorry for the rant.

I'm dragging this from the depths: (1 page away, but still)

Nintendo doesn't really seem afraid of it. Wii Motion Plus, Wii Fit, Classic Controllers and GC controllers (these two not being compatible) :p

Rather, they make money out of it.
imagine they now had to market RAM expansions to people in order to play a game at all or play a game like it was meant to.
Well technically we're seeing games now that aren't being played by the console like they were meant to, possibly due to the RAM ammount (on Crysis 2 it was certainly a big part of the equation), how much would a 512 MB GDDR3 @ 700 MHz expansion module cost right now?

Probably $10 or $20, they could even have included that cost at launch in their profit margin (it was cheaper but Nintendo actually did give out the wii condoms this gen to launch systems that lacked them; taking from their profit margin)

Of course the motivation for doing this to a manufacturer is low; but think about this, it's all a matter of marketing and leverage against competition. If consoles a year from now are launching with 4 GB as a response to the wii-u then it would be a wise counter-measure to have an expansion slot for RAM.

Of course, I also know it won't happen.
this creates more work for devs cause they have to make their already super-complex games work without the RAM expansion and with the RAM expansion and produce a worthwile upgrade if you have the thing. this also adds another variable to debugging and testing the expansion with every model of your console. plus you have to account for that when you design your system in the first place.
Very true, can't possibly be an afterthought (like an USB pen!).
it's a neat idea from a consumer perspective which means we could buy a 30-50 dollar RAM expansion and in theory get a few more years out of our console in relation to the evolution of PC versions. but from a business perspective, it's a nightmare. peripherals/add-ons are always trouble.
Not necessarily a nightmare, but, and this is the main reason I replied specifically to this post as no one pointed it out... The memory expansion had to be proprietary, and that's the biggest kicker, it's not just dropping an ddr3 compliant connector in there as then anyone could buy, install and by all means buy any brand with any kind of ratings to it.

And *that* would be a nightmare indeed. A big reason why shit goes wrong in PC's is about RAM, if you buy a computer and the RAM sucks because if it's not from a respectable brand it might crash all the time, lose data or struggle all together; they'd need to be in control of the RAM expansion department. Console's are all about controlling the closed hardware, and the philosophy for closed platforms really colides with expansion, expansion connectors need extra space, and are an extra part to fail (like you pointed above).

And of course they also don't want people opening up consoles like they open computers so they would want an expansion slot like N64 or X360 slot for HDD, something external, like a cartridge.
The Gameboy Advance even went through a variation of this: while the graphical power of the system was a souped-up SNES, the system only had two face buttons and shoulder buttons.
I thought about mentioning that one, but I always felt two extra buttons in that case wouldn't hurt, I realize they try to adopt consumer demanded features late, but I didn't really see merit to it (other than cost saving measures) before DS omited the joystick and 3DS omited the second joystick, those decisions certainly helped to shape the platforms (DS as the last 2D haven and 3DS being self sufficient with a simpler than home console control scheme, which I feel can be important on a more "pick and play" platform).

I guess the thing about GBA, is that controllers were far more advanced than the SNES one back then (they already had one joystick, and their upcoming home console already had two of them) so giving it four face buttons wouldn't really bring it to parity; on the 3DS though a second joystick as a standard would bring it to parity, which is the real issue.

PS Vita is pretty much in the same league of any home console controller Joysticks don't click down and it doesn't have L2/R2, but it's very close; and I look at that like flying to close to the sun, for their objective can't be a certain differentiation.

MDX

On the Nintendo side, there are lots of intentional feature crippling as well. I guess the more popular ones are the Wii itself and the way it didn't bring about a classic controller (doing so would allow devs to ignore the new control method) and well... The 3DS.

I see what you are saying, but I dont agree with this.
How was Nintendo supposed to come out with a HD console for $250 back in 2006?
Even if they sold it at break even? Unless you are saying that the Wii could have presented games at a higher resolution but Nintendo capped it at SD.

Also, I dont see how leaving the classic controller out is feature crippling when the wiimote could essentially do what classic controller did with added features. I see it more as an evolution. Thats like saying Nintendo feature crippled the NES because they didnt adopt the joystick.

USC-fan

Banned
What doesn't make sense is to move to Evergreen given your target platform is not closer to Evergreen architecturally than it's to Wekiva.

Right, my bad - memory crosswired. R420 was in the 360 devkits. R580 was a performance buddy in something else (not MS' product at all). About that 'contraption' R350 was in, you might want to call that G5 mac with the SDK a devkit, but I wouldn't. 360's actual ('beta') devkit arrived as late as late June '05, and those had R420. Regardless, what I said still holds, though - there were post-R420 AMD parts (e.g. 520) available during the lifespan of the beta devkit and before the arrival of the final dekvit (i.e. Jul-Sep span) and those parts were not used in beta devkits revisions simply because it made little sense to use them - they were neither that much closer architecturally, nor closer performance-wise to Xenos, so MS did not bother with those. Same reason you won't see a !Wekiva in the beta U devkits. It makes no sense to upgrade your devkits to Evergreen, etc, just because those later parts are compliant with some API version you are only marginally interested in. Same with Xenos, whose architecture is much closer to SM4 but MS did not give a rats ass what version it was compliant to, as it had is own DX version.

Well than if what your saying is true they never move from r700. Evergreen is dx 11 and while they did not use dx11 it tells us a feature set of the cards. They are hardware differences between dx parts. Again I believe they started with a high watt r700 at 55nm and then drop it to 40nm. I don't think they ever move to any different core. Every other new core is sm5 and dx11. There are hardware differences. Plus everything we have said they never moved to dx11.

You still have it wrong with the x360. R520 were out after the dev kits already had production xenos in them. Ms switched gpu until that point. Comparing it to the x360 really goes against everything you say with the wiiu.

I see what you are saying, but I dont agree with this.
How was Nintendo supposed to come out with a HD console for $250 back in 2006?
Even if they sold it at break even? Unless you are saying that the Wii could have presented games at a higher resolution but Nintendo capped it at SD.
The original XBox and PS2 were capable of rendering games in HD, Nintendo could have allowed the Wii to do so as well for less than $5 per console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom