• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

USC-fan

Banned
Has any one try to place a preorder at gamestop? Is it hit or miss because they wouldnt let me put one down at my local one.

Meelow

Banned
Nintendo customer service says Wii U/3DS to have unified eShop account setup

A unified account system will be implemented later this year with the launch of the Wii U. Eventually this same account system will be made compatible with Nintendo 3DS systems. At this time we have no additional details to offer and nothing to indicate how or if this will work outside the United States and Canada. In the meantime, if the system has a problem, taking it to an Authorized Service Center will maintain the Nintendo eShop account. If the system is stolen, we can transfer the account to a new system once we are provided with a valid police report.

Of course, you asked this question because of the upcoming launch of New Super Mario Bros. 2 in retail and digital formats. What you need to know is that the digital format will only be available in the United States and Canada. We have nothing to announce regarding Latin American availability. NoC customer service member.

Great news!.

Glass Joe

What we are looking at is a console with a tablet controller that Nintendo is looking to sell for a profit, and we are expecting to see for around $300. I expect it to be noticeably more powerful than this gen, but it won't blow ps360 out of the water.

You're far too sensible for a junior and I agree with your perspective wholeheartedly. Games that use the extra power will eventually show, but it won't be the system's focus. But the best of PS4/720 I predict will be very noticeably better. I mean, I can't forget Iwata saying that AC3 "almost" runs as good as the 360 version, when really it should blow it out of the water, regardless of familiarity with the hardware.

Disorienter said:
Not surprisingly, Nintendo had to come up with a way to fight TV-processing-induced delays

We mentioned this earlier just in speculation, so I'm glad to hear it. Every HDTV is a little different, some worse than others. A noticeable delay (either way) between what you see on the pad and the screen would ruin the experience on a game like NSMB or Rayman. Sounds like the gamepad is quicker than the TV and there's a software enabled optimization to put the two devices in sync.

Hoodbury said:
Haven't seen anyone else mention it, but besides reporting about the key thing, the article mentions an October release date

Fake as tits, probably, but one can hope there's an element of truth to it. The earlier the better, IMO. Not just because I want one, but also in regard to 3rd party offerings where Wii U will otherwise be fashionably late to the party with the typical Nov 18th release. October would give an early adopter demand as well as a holiday demand, so why not utilize that?

Plus, if it launches with P-100, that would make a great buffer for Pikmin being a holiday title. Or vice versa. The games are different enough but also too similar, and because of that the interesting P-100 could be DOA. Unless it comes first or enjoys some breathing room, I see it being ignored. And since it doesn't have an official title, I doubt if it's actually a "holiday" title anyway but more of a early 2013 offering.

SquiddyBiscuit said:
Another crazy idea:

Imagine two players strapping on a tablet each onto their chest (game would obviously have to come with some sort of vest to make it safe) and then have them try to "hit" each other by firing off light-pulses with the Wii mote that get registered by the sensor bar on the tablet.

Basically that's laser tag. Just different and silly enough to work as a casual title. And something like that should definitely happen, with the GamePad having a sensor bar. Virtual paintball maybe? The TV screen could be the scoreboard/status menu, with an overpowered Predator picking off humans, or something. 2 GamePads would make it more fun, and that framerate hit would actually not even matter in that sort of circumstance (that, and trivia games).

Meelow said:
A unified account system will be implemented later this year with the launch of the Wii U.

I wonder if this in anyway means that my two NES Punch-Out!! purchases (Wii/3DS) means I won't have to buy it a 3rd time to play on Wii U. Or even better, if I get a friggin credit for buying the same digital game twice?

Banned
Has any one try to place a preorder at gamestop? Is it hit or miss because they wouldnt let me put one down at my local one.
I have a close relationship with the two managers at my local eb games and I ask all the time lol. They said until Nintendo announces a price there won't be an SKU in the system. You can preorder games though.

I guess the next Nintendo direct or press conference in the fall will be around the time we can preorder the Wii U.

Speaking of preorders, I just preordered a 3DS XL in red (old school Nintendo logo and Mario=red) and got $50 of trade-in credit towards it because I traded in 2 games :). Can't wait until August 19th.

Just one small thing to keep in mind. Graphics are not the only reason why 3rd parties abandoned nintendo. Afterall the GC was a fully capable machine but was still largely ignored by third parties. Nintendo has to convince them that their efforts will no go in vein, that they won't have the extra hurdle of competing with first party titles all the time in Wii U's market. If Nintendo can manage this while also enjoying strong sales you can bet third parties will show support.

The reason why I'm saying this is because you need to be realistic, what I said may seem simple but it is a very tough challenge for Nintendo to overcome. Just don't be disappointed if the support is less than adequate, graphics are not the end all be all.

I wasn't happy for third party games as i play them all on a gaming PC.

I'm happy at hearing Wii U is only going to be 3 or 4 times weaker than PS4 / 720 because of the first party possibilities :).

Can't wait to see the first Nintendo 'graphical showcase'.

Donnie

You're far too sensible for a junior and I agree with your perspective wholeheartedly. Games that use the extra power will eventually show, but it won't be the system's focus. But the best of PS4/720 I predict will be very noticeably better. I mean, I can't forget Iwata saying that AC3 "almost" runs as good as the 360 version, when really it should blow it out of the water, regardless of familiarity with the hardware.

You can't forget it and I can't actually remember it :D

A port of a game built around a certain architecture shouldn't necessarily blow the original out of the water even if the second system is quite a bit more powerful. There are examples of ports from PS2 to Xbox running worse than the original, and that was at a time when the Xbox architecture was well known.

Banned
Just one small thing to keep in mind. Graphics are not the only reason why 3rd parties abandoned nintendo. Afterall the GC was a fully capable machine but was still largely ignored by third parties. Nintendo has to convince them that their efforts will no go in vein, that they won't have the extra hurdle of competing with first party titles all the time in Wii U's market. If Nintendo can manage this while also enjoying strong sales you can bet third parties will show support.

The reason why I'm saying this is because you need to be realistic, what I said may seem simple but it is a very tough challenge for Nintendo to overcome. Just don't be disappointed if the support is less than adequate, graphics are not the end all be all.
Third parties main reasons for abandoning Nintendo was storage. Cartridges were expensive and held less data compared to cd's. Mini discs only held 1.5GB instead of the DVD's capacity of 4.7GB or 9GB (dual layer). That is why games like FF7-9 and GTA never made it to Nintendo consoles. With the wii it was graphics.

Now the Wii U has the same storage format, the same controllers, and the graphics. Developers have no excuses now except for "we don't think there is a market for our game on a Nintendo platform" or they just don't like Nintendo. This gen will show who really just doesn't want to release games on Nintendo or who had legitimate excuses.

JordanN

Banned
Nintendo has to convince them that their efforts will no go in vein, that they won't have the extra hurdle of competing with first party titles all the time in Wii U's market.
They did this with the 3DS and got screwed over completely.

Mini discs only held 1.5GB instead of the DVD's capacity of 4.7GB or 9GB (dual layer). That is why games like FF7-9 and GTA never made it to Nintendo consoles..
I recall GTA III was only 800mb.

And how come devs didn't have a problem using multiple discs for 360 games because it couldn't fit on one (ex:Rage, BF3, FFXIII)?

radcliff

We mentioned this earlier just in speculation, so I'm glad to hear it. Every HDTV is a little different, some worse than others. A noticeable delay (either way) between what you see on the pad and the screen would ruin the experience on a game like NSMB or Rayman. Sounds like the gamepad is quicker than the TV and there's a software enabled optimization to put the two devices in sync.

Does this just mean that if there is input lag on your TV, Nintendo's solution will be to duplicate the lag on the gamepad so they are essentially in synch?

Yeah, can we please stop with the "it's double the flops inside a console because it's a closed box" nonsense?

576GFLOPS is unacceptable to me on 2012, especially of Iwata is truthful about his statement that the graphical differences between the three consoles won't be huge. I'd be okay with 768 as a minimum and 1000 as the standard next gen for Nintendo.

Basically what we've heard is the Wii U has an impressive GPU (not bleeding edge, but it's great for what it does), fast RAM and lots of it, and a mediocre CPU.

Keep your chin up soldier !.

As i have said before GPU FLOP numbers mean very little, my PC has a GTX 550 Ti and it's rated at just under 700 gigaFLOPs, now there are other PC GPU's that are over 2000 teraFLOPS and are not as powerful as my card.

The memory bandwidth, core clock speed, shader clock speed, pixel fill rate and texture fill rates are all far more important than the overall 'FLOPs'.

They created Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword and Metroid Prime 3 with what ?, a 12 gigaFLOP GPU on Wii, imagine what they can do with an at least 500 gigaFLOP GPU that has effects almost a decade more advanced than Wii's GPU.

3DS fans will be happy.

I wonder if this in anyway means that my two NES Punch-Out!! purchases (Wii/3DS) means I won't have to buy it a 3rd time to play on Wii U. Or even better, if I get a friggin credit for buying the same digital game twice?

Why buy twice the game where you're the first character owned? ;)

As i have said before GPU FLOP numbers mean very little, my PC has a GTX 550 Ti and it's rated at just under 700 gigaFLOPs, now there are other PC GPU's that are over 2000 teraFLOPS and are not as powerful as my card.

Benchmarks?

USC-fan

Banned

The memory bandwidth, core clock speed, shader clock speed, pixel fill rate and texture fill rates are all far more important than the overall 'FLOPs'.

They created Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword and Metroid Prime 3 with what ?, a 12 gigaFLOP GPU on Wii, imagine what they can do with an at least 500 gigaFLOP GPU that has effects almost a decade more advanced than Wii's GPU.

Great post!!

Banned
I recall GTA III was only 800mb.

And how come devs didn't have a problem using multiple discs for 360 games because it couldn't fit on one (ex:Rage, BF3, FFXIII)?
GTA III was a PS2 exclusive that only ended up on Xbox to years later due to money hatting from Microsoft. Nintendo doesn't money hat.
Plus GameCube=Kiddy according to last gen reputation

I know first party games will be sexy, but I don't want the Wii U to miss out on ports due to specs.

GTA III was a PS2 exclusive that only ended up on Xbox to years later due to money hatting from Microsoft. Nintendo doesn't money hat.

I know first party games will be sexy, but I don't want the Wii U to miss out on ports due to specs.

Don't know where that GTA line came from i never said that :p.

To be honest with you if you are very interested in third party games i would play them on a gaming PC or either PS4 or 720 next gen.

You will be guaranteed them all on those consoles and looking the best they can on console.

Of course they should get Madden, Fifa, MoH, Blops 2 and WWE for launch and how those titles sell will be a big factor in how many more they get.

I think Wii U will get Resi 6, GTA V and Crysis 3 but only after it has an install base worthy of spending the money on developing those huge titles for it.

DDR3 + EDRam makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

Especially if you're talking about a quantity larger than 1 or 1.5gb and a system meant to be close to profitable around the $300 mark.

Is this plausible guesspeculation, or is it based on a solid rumor/credible source?

JordanN

Banned
Was it really a moneyhat? I did some research and apparently RS were going to release it on Gamecube/Xbox anyway after the exclusivity contract ended.

"The Grand Theft Auto franchise may soon be breaking records on the Nintendo GameCube as well according to Investors Business Daily. Upon completion of its exclusivity contract with SCEA at the end of 2004, Rockstar Games will release Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City on Nintendo GameCube and Microsoft Xbox."
http://www.gamecubicle.com/news-nintendo_gamecube_grand_theft_auto.htm

Ryoku

Holy fucking shit!

It's more than a decade :p (13 years, to be more precise). Yeah, I'm nitpicking :/

It gets really hot in this thread sometimes. Ice helps, sometimes.

Oh trust me, I know. Its rather entertaining at times. The meltdowns can be quite funny. Though the perma bans, are not. I will miss snesfreak, as well as Ace. I don't know who else is gone though.

Holy fucking shit!

It's more than a decade :p (13 years, to be more precise). Yeah, I'm nitpicking :/

Sorry i miss spoke on the specs, just to correct, i have a GTX 560 Ti which is rated at 1200 teraFLOPs but compare it to a Radeon HD 5850 which is rated at over 2000 teraFLOPs, my GPU is more powerful (faster core clock, shader clock, memory bandwidth, pixel fill rate and texture fill rate) despite being 700 FLOPs 'weaker'.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php/show_cards.php?card1=614&card2=641

Same point but i over exagerated, basing power estimates on FLOP numbers is silly imo, esp as we don't know any of the other details about the Wii U GPU :p.

USC-fan

Banned
Sorry i miss spoke on the specs, just to correct, i have a GTX 560 Ti which is rated at 1.2 teraFLOPs but compare it to a Radeon HD 5850 which is rated at over 2 teraFLOPs, my GPU is more powerful (faster core clock, shader clock, memory bandwidth, pixel fill rate and texture fill rate) despite being 700 GFLOPs 'weaker'.

Same point but i over exagerated, basing power estimates on FLOP numbers is silly imo, esp as we don't know any of the other details about the Wii U GPU :p.

Fixed it for you....

Sorry i miss spoke on the specs, just to correct, i have a GTX 560 Ti which is rated at 1200 teraFLOPs but compare it to a Radeon HD 5850 which is rated at over 2000 teraFLOPs, my GPU is more powerful (faster core clock, shader clock, memory bandwidth, pixel fill rate and texture fill rate) despite being 700 FLOPs 'weaker'.

Ahhh. Makes sense now. You're comparing an nVidia GPU to an AMD GPU.

Ryoku

USC-fan corrected you, but I was making a joke about the 2000 teraflops :p
It's 1.2 teraflops and 2 teraflops for the 560TI and 5850, respectively. Also, it's an Nvidia GPU being compared to an AMD GPU via Flop rating. That just doesn't work :p
Your best comparison with flop rating will be between GPUs of the same architecture. Even then, accurate measures of performance will be done via benchmarks and specs aside from Flops.

Ah ok, i didn't think it mattered AMD vs Nvidia :p.

I do think tho that people are focusing far too much on these 'FLOP' numbers esp when we have no idea how fast the chip is clocked ect.

USC-fan

Banned
Ahhh. Makes sense now. You're comparing an nVidia GPU to an AMD GPU.

But even comparing AMd gpus the gflops numbers are misleading. AMD have switch to a new GPU core[GCN]. So comparing number between these and old cards are just like comparing nvidia vs AMD by glfop alone.

USC-fan corrected you, but I was making a joke about the 2000 teraflops :p
It's 1.2 teraflops and 2 teraflops for the 560TI and 5850, respectively. Also, it's an Nvidia GPU being compared to an AMD GPU via Flop rating. That just doesn't work :p
Your best comparison with flop rating will be between GPUs of the same architecture. Even then, accurate measures of performance will be done via benchmarks and specs aside from Flops.
This is point I was making today. people were freaking out because the wiiu you might "only be 500gflop." Then comparing this number to ps3/x360. The glfop could only double but performance could be 4x that, for example. We would have to know a lot more details of the wiiu gpu before we can factor any of this in...

(Not a tech guy...at all) If the e3 demos likely weren't optimised for the fifth kits (would they not just have pulled code there were using right before the 5th kits, since that would have been more stable??), is it likely some games will see reasonable improvements before launch? Or is there not enough time to take advantage of optimization in a meaningful way?

Again, I have no idea on this sort of stuff.

japtor

It's kind of sad actually and even angers me why companies try to hide this information when the real damage doesn't come from those who hate the Wii U, but it harms those who actually care about the system.
How does it harm you (other than wading through hardware speculation posts)? Confirmation wouldn't really change anything unless it was massively more powerful than anyone expects...it'd just confirm being weak. There'd still be specluation about whether it'd be enough for the future or complaints about not showing anything impressive enough (or accusing Nintendo of lying about the specs cause the games weren't impressive or something equally wacky).
It sounds like it'll miss out more due to publisher perceptions of the Wii U customers
and/or devs/pubs going down in flames and not being able to afford ports due to being stupid with development costs.

JordanN

Banned
How does it harm you (other than wading through hardware speculation posts)?
Prehaps I shouldn't say harm (as that comes off as emotional) but it will forever annoy me to no end that I wont have the privilege to correct or put Wii U in neutral light whereas those who own other consoles wont have such hurdles available to them.

japtor said:
Confirmation wouldn't really change anything unless it was massively more powerful than anyone expects...it'd just confirm being weak.
Confirmation would put a stop to those who say the system is far weaker than it should be.

brainpann

I have been thinking a lot about Nintendo's E3 showing and it almost seems like they went out of there way to make the Wii U seem as unimpressive as possible. If this was the case, could there be any good reason for it? Would waiting until closer to launch to show something impressive help them out more than showing something at E3?

The only conclusion that I have come up with is that they are going to try and build and ENORMOUS amount of hype right for launch. I am starting to think this was the safer move and kind of reminds me of an Apple play. Why show something at E3 and let all the internet nitpick, argue, etc over a few videos and screen shots (I'm looking at you Bird Demo) when you can show off some of what the hardware can really do right before launch, creating a frothy bubble of hype to whip everybody into a buying frenzy.

Wishful thinking. :)

AniHawk

I have been thinking a lot about Nintendo's E3 showing and it almost seems like they went out of there way to make the Wii U seem as unimpressive as possible. If this was the case, could there be any good reason for it? Would waiting until closer to launch to show something impressive help them out more than showing something at E3?

The only conclusion that I have come up with is that they are going to try and build and ENORMOUS amount of hype right for launch. I am starting to think this was the safer move and kind of reminds me of an Apple play. Why show something at E3 and let all the internet nitpick, argue, etc over a few videos and screen shots (I'm looking at you Bird Demo) when you can show off some of what the hardware can really do right before launch, creating a frothy bubble of hype to whip everybody into a buying frenzy.

to be fair they kinda did this last year with skyward sword. not that it worked with the general public, but among the enthusiast community, hype went from zero to a million with just a month or so before launch.

ASIS

to be fair they kinda did this last year with skyward sword. not that it worked with the general public, but among the enthusiast community, hype went from zero to a million with just a month or so before launch.

They also did this with pretty much every software reveal in recent years. But this is a new console we are talking about.

My best bet: They are saving the cards for the next E3 to have something against Sony and MS.

Also wishful thinking.. kinda

Well, put it this way, they're going to show their 2013FY titles in September (or, some of them) and Sept-Nov is a lot easier to maintain hope than June-Nov

Another crazy idea:

Imagine two players strapping on a tablet each onto their chest (game would obviously have to come with some sort of vest to make it safe) and then have them try to "hit" each other by firing off light-pulses with the Wii mote that get registered by the sensor bar on the tablet.

From way back in the distant past:

A two player, two DRC battle simulation. Each person holds a Remote in their dominant hand and the DRC in their off hand. A special strap or attachment allows you to hold it so that its screen is facing your opponent. The Remote is your laser gun, the DRC is an "force-shield". You try to shoot at your opponent while trying to keep your DRC poised in a way that it blocks your opponent's shot. On the TV, a really nicely rendered third-person approximation of what's going on is shown from various, sweeping angles with amazing camera and art direction. The controller screens provide a very basic hint showing how weakened your opponent is. Whether or not you hit your opponent depends on how close their DRC's sensor strip is (especially vertically) to where you were pointing the remote.

This one is a clever idea that won't really go anywhere but could be fun for some. It's rare in a video game that you actually face your opponent, so this would feel more like a realistic confrontation.

;)

* Historian's note: "DRC" was the development name for the Wii U GamePad

japtor

Prehaps I shouldn't say harm (as that comes off as emotional) but it will forever annoy me to no end that I wont have the privilege to correct or put Wii U in neutral light whereas those who own other consoles wont have such hurdles available to them.

Confirmation would put a stop to those who say the system is far weaker than it should be.
Not really, cause no matter the power the big issue is that there's nothing to show for it. It could have a 2Tflop GPU and 8GB RAM but if the graphical showcase is NintendoLand talking about specs won't do any good.

(and I'm guessing there'll be hurdles for others with diminishing returns, like some people not being impressed by this or that tech demo from E3)

(Not a tech guy...at all) If the e3 demos likely weren't optimised for the fifth kits (would they not just have pulled code there were using right before the 5th kits, since that would have been more stable??), is it likely some games will see reasonable improvements before launch? Or is there not enough time to take advantage of optimization in a meaningful way?

Again, I have no idea on this sort of stuff.

The bold is a very plausible scenario. They probably didn't get the kits in time to try much, if anything, before E3 and at the same time certain changes may have affected what they could have tried in that time frame.

Earendil

The bold is a very plausible scenario. They probably didn't get the kits in time to try much, if anything, before E3 and at the same time certain changes may have affected what they could have tried in that time frame.

And if it has a GPGPU, then it's going to be even harder for launch games to take advantage of that. We probably won't see anything truly using it for a year or so.

jerd

So off the tech topic, what could/is Nintendo doing to entice third-party developers. I seem to remember them talking a big game about incentives and whatnot, but did we ever hear what those are? For example, could Nintendo offer bonuses to devs if the best selling version of a multi-platform game was the Wii U version? It seems like this could potentially keep the devs from phoning in Wii U versions and hopefully prevent a Wii scenario. Just a thought.

Fair enough. What type of changes would affect what they could try? More compiler breaks?

Also, and this is pure ignorance on my part, but when you get a new devkit, do you have to 'port' the game to the new kit? Does it depend on how different the kits are? For example, the shift from a 'best performance match' kit to a final silicon chip?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Some diagram images from that TV-delay patent:
fcDhg.jpg

0eDx8.jpg

aeDys.jpg

Sa37E.jpg

As you can see, they will prompt the player to hold the Gamepad up and with the camera facing the TV set in order to read teh test image. This will probably be done in the same settings area the sensor bar is calibrated.

At first I thought this was a minor issue, but then I thought of uses where the game view spans across the two screens, such as the find and shoot the miis demo from last year. Also, in Miiverse when you swap the screens and the Miis all run down from the tv to the gamepad, you don't want to see miis show up ahead of time on the gamepad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom