• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woah, are those publishers smoking crack? The Vita is still pushing polygons in the PS2/Gamecube realm. I would not be happy with those results on a system far more capable.

Assuming this is real and not something made up.

You act like they were going to be against releasing ugly Wii U games. :p

I, for one, would welcome a Wii U version of Assassin's Creed III: Liberation. Ubisoft is supporting the U a lot out of the gate so I could see a port of the Vita game if it either doesn't do well on the Vita or if ACIII proper does well on the U.

A couple of tidbits.

• 3DS XL/NSMB is being considered a 3DS "re-launch" for America
  • After the new design gets its time in the sun, Nintendo will feel comfortable talking about the future of the Wii U.
    [*]Some rather impressive non-port titles are coming in the next 365 days. Some spin-offs and ports, too. But there are original titles there.
  • Vita dying a slow sales death is convincing some publishers to stay off Wii U (due to an expectation of being able to port between) and getting some publishers to consider moving Vita titles to Wii U.
  • Nintendo retail reps are talking to stores to give Wii U a big retail presence - big demo units, prominent placement, and training workers to explain why the controller is like an iPad with buttons.

You always know how to brighten my day, Alberto.
Am trying to imagine what sort of impressive titles Wii U could get exclusivity to. Impressive for a Nintendo console? Or actually impressive...:p

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Hello, stranger.

hey! I still lurk

ig4b5rnxxOgUA.gif

Who the hell are you

>__>

Hello there!

=3

^ I request Rayman.

Hai!

OG avy has made a comeback.

JordanN

Banned
You act like they were going to be against releasing ugly Wii U games. :p
In some ways, actually yes. With the Wii, devs got away with it due to its already low risk development and perhaps a dumb audience who bought into it.

With Wii U's jump to HD (and obvious increase in horsepower), I expect the benchmark to be no different to what publishers already do for 360/PS3 and the upcoming PS4/720.

So while they can release their PS2/Xbox 360 launch-esque quality garbage, I foresee the risks for such stuff being higher than ever.

Of course, this theory completely breaks apart if the Wii U fanbase actually buys into that crap.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It totally wouldn't surprise me that when Retro's new game is finally revealed, it looks gorgeous, but isn't the same kind of 'gorgeous' that people are expecting it to be. Like, DKCR gorgeous versus "oh my god those textures those set pieces that realism hnggg" Uncharted gorgeous.

Log4Girlz

It totally wouldn't surprise me that when Retro's new game is finally revealed, it looks gorgeous, but isn't the same kind of 'gorgeous' that people are expecting it to be. Like, DKCR gorgeous versus "oh my god those textures those set pieces that realism hnggg" Uncharted gorgeous.

Sadly, yeah I'm expecting this. There will be nothing to match or to Uncharted, regardless if the Wii U is more capable than the PS3.

I'm expecting a very snazzy Kingdom of Amalur look.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
A couple of tidbits.

• After the new design gets its time in the sun, Nintendo will feel comfortable talking about the future of the Wii U.
  • Some rather impressive non-port titles are coming in the next 365 days. Some spin-offs and ports, too. But there are original titles there.
  • Vita dying a slow sales death is convincing some publishers to stay off Wii U (due to an expectation of being able to port between) and getting some publishers to consider moving Vita titles to Wii U.
  • Nintendo retail reps are talking to stores to give Wii U a big retail presence - big demo units, prominent placement, and training workers to explain why the controller is like an iPad with buttons.

This is something I can believe.
It's positive, because it give us hope to get a Wii U landscape better than the actual, but nothing so "over the top" due to the lack of AAA nextgen titles, so I think it's reliable.

I think you are right.
Usually I'd be ok with this, but in this particular Wii U environment I really think that they should focus on a "Metroid-like" graphic style-impact and not on a DKCR-like choice, for many reasons.
SO, I'd probably be slightly disappointed by the revela at the beginning (to accept and embrace it later on, I suppose, if the game will be gorgeous as we all hope)

A couple of tidbits.

• Some rather impressive non-port titles are coming in the next 365 days. Some spin-offs and ports, too. But there are original titles there.

3DS re-launch? Truthfully the Holiday line-up looks OK (better overall quality of titles, far less quantity) than last year (lacking several yearly update titles).....

I think the XL is going to do well, but I don't think they should be expecting consistent massive weekly numbers. I'm definitely interested in seeing how well the system begins to do when NSMB2 and the XL drop though, could end up being the perfect storm I guess. Even more interested in seeing if "core" titles see sales boosts (KIU, Revelations, etc.).

Anyway, VERY excited to get some positive Wii U software news. Hopefully the september conference and Nintendo Directs don't completely disappoint and we finally get a good look at the OS, etc. (hopefully there are some 3DS title in there too)

Oh, and take this with a grain of salt because it's a friend of a friend thing

But the rumors about Nintendo taking a much smaller cut on DD games than other services? Seems to be true.

There's still HUGE problems (similar to Microsoft's patch policy, requires that games come from a company with employees and a physical office with acceptable security), but that part of the rumor, at least, is not bunk. We're talking somewhere in the area of 15% versus 30% and the complete removal of the sales threshold agreement.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
[*]Some rather impressive non-port titles are coming in the next 365 days. Some spin-offs and ports, too. But there are original titles there.

[*]Vita dying a slow sales death is convincing some publishers to stay off Wii U (due to an expectation of being able to port between) and getting some publishers to consider moving Vita titles to Wii U.

[/LIST]

So yay and a nay/yay?

It is safe to say we are largely talking Japanese publishers for both of these points?

I also assume the point about Nintendo holding off on Wii U talk until after the 3DSXL is worldwide- I bet we'll see a lot more coming out of Japan in August as well.

Edit- The Vita stuff really is fascinating. IMO Wii really suffered from PSP's re-emergence last gen. Will be interesting to see what publishers do.

But the rumors about Nintendo taking a much smaller cut on DD games than other services? Seems to be true.

There's still HUGE problems (similar to Microsoft's patch policy, requires that games come from a company with employees and a physical office with acceptable security), but that part of the rumor, at least, is not bunk. We're talking somewhere in the area of 15% versus 30% and the complete removal of the sales threshold agreement.

This is a step in the right direction.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I don't know about details, but as general speech I think it's reliable, considering the recent small team DD-focuse happy sentences about WiiU eshop

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Daaayym. I might need an office now.

Log4Girlz

This was a pie in the sky dream of mine. Holy shit if true.

antonz

It all fits with the direction Nintendo is going. They are still going to stick to their guns on who gets to be an official developer but the people who can be are getting a lot more incentives to want to be a Nintendo developer on the E-shop

So wii U daily got this one right then?

WiiU daily said:
“They’re offering insane incentives for publishers to sell retail games as downloads on the console. You’d be stupid not to take advantage of it and go retail box-only”, he said, adding “The new platform is perfect for indie devs, it’s a whole different ball game than WiiWare. They’ve learned a lot from that mess”.

When we asked what the “insane incentives” on the Wii U eShop were, he replied: “It’s just a much bigger revenue cut that you’d get selling it on any other platform at the moment, plus promotions on the online store. If they [Nintendo] pull it off and it gains traction, it’ll press the other guys [Microsoft and Sony] to give more of the revenue to the publishers. It’s very good for us who make games”.

DjRoomba

Banned
The next Mario Kart basically needs to be Diddy Kong Racing :).

Story mode would be pretty cool for Mario Kart. But what I really want to see them do for Mario Kart U is really elevate what they do for track design. Sonic All Stars has set the bar for this really well designed over the top track design that I want to see pushed further. I want interaction in the environment, and more stuff where the track is less driving around cool stuff and driving through cool stuff, if you know what I mean.

Story mode would be pretty cool for Mario Kart. But what I really want to see them do for Mario Kart U is really elevate what they do for track design. Sonic All Stars has set the bar for this really well designed over the top track design that I want to see pushed further. I want interaction in the environment, and more stuff where the track is less driving around cool stuff and driving through cool stuff, if you know what I mean.

I don't mind if they gimp MKU like the Wii version, but I'm massively annoyed they butchered MK7 trying to be a far reaching core/casual crossover and just ending up with a game sporting THE most crude and blatantly obvious AI I think I have ever seen in a game. Offering DiddyK Racing as an alternative to people who enjoy racing as opposed to a rigged fruitmachine on wheels would be welcomed.

AniHawk

an uncharted-like movie-game from retro might just break my rageometer.

it's probably the zelda game they've been secretly making.

DrWong

For the tech goers, Google-translated from Polish >
Bob Feldstein - probably never even heard of that name. But that was until recently one of the most important people in AMD - vice president of strategic development. And he is the person who arranged for contracts to use AMD components of this is company in all next-gene consoles - Wii U, and the next Xbox and PlayStation. To make matters worse (for AMD) Feldstein goes to a direct competitor in the field of graphics cards - Nvidia.

The_Lump

Banned

Wow thats pretty interesting news. Would have been even more interesting if it happened last year....could have seen nVidia getting in on the next gen consoles instead of AMD getting the clean sweep.

ShockingAlberto said:
Sweet manna from the heavenly realm of 'actual news/info'

That's some exciting stuff. Great news that they are planning to go balls out for the launch: thats what we need to see.

The 3DS "re-launch" makes sense. The 3DSXL performs and is built to the quality which the original 3DS should have been. Similar story to the DS/DSLite; it was like two different company's made those things with the original almost seeming like a prototype! When you couple the lovely re-build with the awesome games which are now available, treating it as a "re-launch" is the perfect way to look at it. And I'll stick my money on it working like a charm.

Great to hear about some non-port titles - does that imply more 3rd party exclusives? Or just multi-plats whuch are built on the WiiU software? or are you referring to 1st/2nd party stuff?

Thanks for the great info. Should keep us all going for a few more weeks :p

RedSwirl

Like I've said earlier, I just want to see Retro's art team work with current gen hardware. That's all.

Luigiv

There's still HUGE problems (similar to Microsoft's patch policy, requires that games come from a company with employees and a physical office with acceptable security), but that part of the rumor, at least, is not bunk. We're talking somewhere in the area of 15% versus 30%...

This sounds pretty good if true.

...and the complete removal of the sales threshold agreement.

This part is really old news, though. Nintendo got rid of that starting with the DSi shop. I have no idea why it still applies to the Wii shop, though.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
We had a few bugs in Sniper Elite during development where the bone indices got screwed. The characters ended up looking like something from The Wall.
No kidding. I'm still having nightmares from the last time I reverse-engineered a skeleton asset format. And that was almost a year ago.

Nice info from SA.

I've always loved that threatening "double-take" (for lack of a better term). Such a nice touch to an already horrifying gif.

It does make it even more awesome. I worked on that part the most.

Wow thats pretty interesting news. Would have been even more interesting if it happened last year....could have seen nVidia getting in on the next gen consoles instead of AMD getting the clean sweep.

Probably would have needed to happen earlier than last year, but I agree it would have been interesting to see how that would have played out.

Thanks for the tidbit Wong.

AntMurda

Like I've said earlier, I just want to see Retro's art team work with current gen hardware. That's all.

Just pick up any decent to good looking XBox 360 game and you will get an idea. They are your standard good western team, not anything out of the ordinary. The art team of Retro migrates just like most western developers. Look at HALO 4 for example.

Meelow

Banned
A couple of tidbits.

Hyped! :D,

Let me get this straight, the Vita failing is a reason some publishers are scared of the Wii U?, wow Sony trolled both Nintendo and Sony fans.

ohlawd

Publisher A says to themself "We can make some games for both the Vita and Wii U since the graphical disparity is not overly-huge. Since the Vita should sell like the PSP, that provides us with a pretty decent base of people to sell to."
Since the Vita can be considered as a PS3-lite then that means the Wii U is... *shot*

Meelow

Banned
We clearly know the Wii U is much more powerful than Vita so I don't think they are thinking "well since the graphics aren't that much different" because that would be stupid.

A couple of tidbits.

I just don't get this, or how the two are connected. What does Vita's performance have anything to do with the Wii U's. This is one of those times when I scratch my head and go how are these people being paid to make decisions.

I just don't see what a Sony handheld has to do with a Nintendo console.

Publishers, insanity rains supreme.

prag16

Banned
The lack of info on confirmed games is frustrating.

But what's also frustrating is the all-but-confirmed games that have not been officially confirmed.

I know many (even most) of us don't care about these games, but would it kill them to OFFICIALLY confirm games like Madden 13 and Black Ops 2??
jackie.png

I just don't get this, or how the two are connected. What does Vita's performance have anything to do with the Wii U's. This is one of those times when I scratch my head and go how are these people being paid to make decisions.

I just don't see what a Sony handheld has to do with a Nintendo console.

Vita is a new platform with a touchscreen!!!In all reality its probably western publishers who are scared of making Wii U games because of Vita. These are the people who used Deadly Creatures and Dead Space Extraction as a barometer for making more Wii games. Japanese publishers are probably the ones who are abandoning Vita in favor of Wii U.

Meelow

Banned
Vita is a new platform with a touchscreen!!!In all reality its probably western publishers who are scared of making Wii U games because of Vita. These are the people who used Deadly Creatures and Dead Space Extraction as a barometer for making more Wii games. Japanese publishers are probably the ones who are abandoning Vita in favor of Wii U.

It does seem like Sony is losing some Japanese third party support to Nintendo, which is kinda funny because Sony had the best relationship with Japanese third party's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom