• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadist

I just don't get this, or how the two are connected. What does Vita's performance have anything to do with the Wii U's. This is one of those times when I scratch my head and go how are these people being paid to make decisions.

I just don't see what a Sony handheld has to do with a Nintendo console.

Publishers, insanity rains supreme.

It's a new platform released in 2012 which performs poorly. I guess publishers are cautious regarding the consoles performance because they want to be successfull from the start. Take Two is a good example. They'll wait for a bit, see if the platform succeeds and jump in if they think the platform could be profitable for them.

The Vita projects to Wii U rumour sounds like something that Japanese publishers would contemplate.

Meelow

Banned
Rösti;40210676 said:
Hopefully there's no need for any rumor fabrication, the First Quarter Earnings Release ought to be published quite soon. I think the meeting is at 10:00 am, JST, that's in four hours. And as usual, the Q&A holds most promise of new information.

Is that today?, I'm guessing David Gibson will tweet the info like he did before.

http://twitter.com/gibbogame

Rösti;40210676 said:
Hopefully there's no need for any rumor fabrication, the First Quarter Earnings Release ought to be published quite soon. I think the meeting is at 10:00 am, JST, that's in four hours. And as usual, the Q&A holds most promise of new information.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html

The investor briefing is always the day after (JST) the earnings release, by 16-17 hours or so.

Earnings release is early tomorrow morning EDT; briefing is tomorrow night EDT.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The investor briefing is always the day after (JST) the earnings release, by 16-17 hours or so.

Earnings release is early tomorrow morning EDT; briefing is tomorrow night EDT.
I see. Anyway, there'll be news soon.

Don't know. We don't much about upcoming or unannounced Vita projects do we?

I guess they're projects which are well under way...

Probably. Sales being what they are, I doubt that many major Vita projects have been greenlit this year; most of what will be announced in the remainder of 2012 and early 2013 has likely been in the works since before launch.

AzaK

Daaayym. I might need an office now.
That part of Nintendo's god damn requirements sucks arse. I just do my stuff in my home office and I'm 100% positive I could sell a couple of million Wii U's on my titles alone if they'd just let me.....please......Mr Iwata.

oh god I'm melting into the ground!
iDxrf3lJIgUXR.gif

That was scary as fuck.

BTW: Anyone started a thread yet about Wii U being on par with Vita or should I?

Meelow

Banned
That part of Nintendo's god damn requirements sucks arse. I just do my stuff in my home office and I'm 100% positive I could sell a couple of million Wii U's on my titles alone if they'd just let me.....please......Mr Iwata.

That was scary as fuck.

BTW: Anyone started a thread yet about Wii U being on par with Vita or should I?

Please don't do it, I'm tired of hearing trolls make something like that a big thing when we know it's not true.

AzaK

Please don't do it, I'm tired of hearing trolls make something like that a big thing when we know it's not true.

Hehe don't worry, I'd never do such a stupid thing. Although there is some benefit to making the threads and then never posting in them so the trolls can just be kept to one area :)

Final Fantasy X HD!
That is already multiplat with PS3.

Vita never got off the ground, really. It's not like we should be getting much out of it; the reason devs go for DS/3DS/PSP in japan is partly userbase, partly lower dev costs.

PS Vita has neither at this point, hence there's not much going for it (other than multiplatform ports/cross platform).

A couple of tidbits.

• 3DS XL/NSMB is being considered a 3DS "re-launch" for America
  • After the new design gets its time in the sun, Nintendo will feel comfortable talking about the future of the Wii U.
  • Some rather impressive non-port titles are coming in the next 365 days. Some spin-offs and ports, too. But there are original titles there.
  • Vita dying a slow sales death is convincing some publishers to stay off Wii U (due to an expectation of being able to port between) and getting some publishers to consider moving Vita titles to Wii U.
  • Nintendo retail reps are talking to stores to give Wii U a big retail presence - big demo units, prominent placement, and training workers to explain why the controller is like an iPad with buttons.

Wait...where did this news/tidbits come from?

Wait...where did this news/tidbits come from?

Just go along with it. Although I still upset that there was no Contra or Phoenix Wright Alberto.

Anyway, Nintendo seemed to push Wii U plans off last year to focus on the 3DS when it was struggling everywhere, and now they seem to be doing the same thing again. Wonder what they'll do if the XL doesn't boost sales in the US and revive if from almost death in the UK.

Well there's dragon crown. I'd be stoked if that eventually got a wii u release. And didn't kaz say something like there were 200 vita games in development or something like that?
Sure, it has 60 games out already (counting virtual releases and all) and more than 50 announced to be coming, if you add upcoming mini-games/android ports and the like 200 should have been true at that point. Not so sure that's still the case.

But it's mostly ports.

Dragon's Crown
Silent Hill: Book of Memories
Persona 4: The Golden
Final Fantasy X HD
Tales of Innocence R

Are pretty much the only announced software that's mild appealing (and I wouldn't say no to neither of them).

Then again, some porting efforts could be in the process of being moved or rather, aborted in favour of the wii u. Vita aims to be a portable PS3; so it's kinda unknown how super-late ports like Bioshock will do seeing the Sony userbase has had the game for years. Not so on Nintendo platforms.
Anyway, Nintendo seemed to push Wii U plans off last year to focus on the 3DS when it was struggling everywhere, and now they seem to be doing the same thing again. Wonder what they'll do if the XL doesn't boost sales in the US and revive if from almost death in the UK.
Is 3DS on the rocks again? I don't think so; and if it is, it's due to software draught surely. NSMB2 should fix that alone, but if you release a different model at the same time you'll boost the install base.

It's just a strategy to boost sales and not let their products compete with themselves rather than being in dire docks.

It's certainly on the rocks in the UK. Although almost everything over there is. In the US, I wouldn't say on the rocks but it did have one of the worst Junes for a handheld along with the DS first one, Vita June, and 3DS last June. Either the handheld market has dramatically shrunk like people said, or the 3DS still has a long way to go in terms of pricing structure and enticing people to go.

Meelow

Banned
Hehe don't worry, I'd never do such a stupid thing. Although there is some benefit to making the threads and then never posting in them so the trolls can just be kept to one area :)

That is true lol.

Well there's dragon crown. I'd be stoked if that eventually got a wii u release. And didn't kaz say something like there were 200 vita games in development or something like that?

I think that's the problem though, Dragon Crown is also on the PS3 which more people would rather buy the PS3 version since it will probably be the better version, Sony is advertising the Vita as a handheld PS3 basically which is not working because people that own a PS3 already would not want to buy a handheld version of it with less games and at $250 which is also the problem since it's the same price as the PS3.

After reading the NSMB2 iwata asks, it struck out to me that alot of the staff involved with the game had no prior experience with mario games. Does anyone know if nintendo has gone on any extreme hiring sprees lately? (Besides the retro studios stuff)

It's a new platform released in 2012 which performs poorly. I guess publishers are cautious regarding the consoles performance because they want to be successfull from the start. Take Two is a good example. They'll wait for a bit, see if the platform succeeds and jump in if they think the platform could be profitable for them.

The Vita projects to Wii U rumour sounds like something that Japanese publishers would contemplate.

One thing's for sure, 3rd party publishers/developers can't afford to ignore the Wii U at all like they did with the Wii, especially when software development costs may be going up even further next generation.

It totally wouldn't surprise me that when Retro's new game is finally revealed, it looks gorgeous, but isn't the same kind of 'gorgeous' that people are expecting it to be. Like, DKCR gorgeous versus "oh my god those textures those set pieces that realism hnggg" Uncharted gorgeous.

I don't expect anything to appear on Wii U that is as good looking as Uncharted 2 & 3, Nintendo will not spend that kind of money, they do not make that sort of hollywood cinematic experience and Naughty Dog are a very special developer indeed, i think only GoW 3 beats Uncharted 2 & 3 from both a graphical and a technical standpoint on PS3.

They are one of the best developers in the world and Sony are very lucky to have them as Nintendo are with Retro.

That's not to say there won't be some special looking Wii U games, altho i think the only franchises that will really push the machine to it's limits will be Zelda, Metroid, EAD Mario and whatever Retro are working on (if it isn't Zelda or more Metroid).

Most of the other big first party IP's like Starfox, F Zero, Donkey Kong, Pilotwings, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Waverace ect will look very similar to Pikmin 3 imo altho obviously better since they will have started life as Wii U games and not Wii games.

Regarding my Diddy Kong Racing post, i don't want a story mode, it was more the fact that i think out of all of Nintendo's first party games along with Smash Bros i think Mario Kart needs the biggest shake up, a near reboot imo.

It's basically been the same game since 1992, lets have fully flying vehicles, water based vehicles, destructible environments, tricks that actually mean something, a great online MP with a leveling up type system ect.

Azure J

A couple of tidbits.

• 3DS XL/NSMB is being considered a 3DS "re-launch" for America
  • After the new design gets its time in the sun, Nintendo will feel comfortable talking about the future of the Wii U.
  • Some rather impressive non-port titles are coming in the next 365 days. Some spin-offs and ports, too. But there are original titles there.
  • Vita dying a slow sales death is convincing some publishers to stay off Wii U (due to an expectation of being able to port between) and getting some publishers to consider moving Vita titles to Wii U.
  • Nintendo retail reps are talking to stores to give Wii U a big retail presence - big demo units, prominent placement, and training workers to explain why the controller is like an iPad with buttons.

Oh, and take this with a grain of salt because it's a friend of a friend thing

But the rumors about Nintendo taking a much smaller cut on DD games than other services? Seems to be true.

There's still HUGE problems (similar to Microsoft's patch policy, requires that games come from a company with employees and a physical office with acceptable security), but that part of the rumor, at least, is not bunk. We're talking somewhere in the area of 15% versus 30% and the complete removal of the sales threshold agreement.

Man, the first time I check up on things in what feels like ages and I'm just so excited to see what's going down from second hand discussion. That bit about the DD front is massive. Blu, I'm totally down to throw around concepts (or be the privileged janitor) if you find the office space! :lol

I think that's because their is a fanbase in Japan for the 360, if it sold just as bad on day 1 their would be no support for the 360 in Japan.

AFAIK every japanese developed game on the xbox 360 bombed in japan. Even big ones like final fantasy 11, Tales of vesperia, and star ocean when they were exclusive. I think the only reason japanese publishers release their games on the 360 is to have something for the western audience that didn't have a ps3. Also to recoup as much of the money they lost during development that they can. I think that was the reason Final Fantasy 13 saw an xbox360 release (besides moneyhatting from microsoft)

AzaK

I don't expect anything to appear on Wii U that is as good looking as Uncharted 2 & 3, Nintendo will not spend that kind of money, they do not make that sort of hollywood cinematic experience and Naughty Dog are a very special developer indeed, i think only GoW 3 beats Uncharted 2 & 3 from both a graphical and a technical standpoint on PS3.

I think we will because it stands to reason, even if it's not Nintendo. Once the PS4/720 are out someone will make a game that looks fucking amazing on those consoles and Wii U will get a downport which will still look better than UC.

Meelow

Banned
AFAIK every japanese developed game on the xbox 360 bombed in japan. Even big ones like final fantasy 11, Tales of vesperia, and star ocean when they were exclusive. I think the only reason japanese publishers release their games on the 360 is to have something for the western audience that didn't have a ps3. Also to recoup as much of the money they lost during development that they can. I think that was the reason Final Fantasy 13 saw an xbox360 release (besides moneyhatting from microsoft)

Yeah it sounds right, personally I hope Nintendo moneyhatted Square Enix for Final Fantasy Versus XIII/Final Fantasy XV.

I think we will because it stands to reason, even if it's not Nintendo. Once the PS4/720 are out someone will make a game that looks fucking amazing on those consoles and Wii U will get a downport which will still look better than UC.

That's a very good point, i was actually thinking about first party wise but you are right :).

After reading the NSMB2 iwata asks, it struck out to me that alot of the staff involved with the game had no prior experience with mario games. Does anyone know if nintendo has gone on any extreme hiring sprees lately? (Besides the retro studios stuff)

I believe EAD, at least, has expanded a lot over the last year or so. 200 or so new employees, iirc.

JordanN

Banned
You probably wont have to wait for a downport. The game Shin'en is currently working on mentioned they're not facing as much limitations as they would be on the PS3/360/Wii. Combine that with they're far from maxing out and current gen is but a relic.

Is there any confirmation of these Assassin Creed 1080p rumors?

There is no confirmation on this at all.

The PR person from Nintendo probably just said "1080p" in regards to the Wii U being an HD system. I wouldn't hold your breath. It does look like however that most Wii U ports will benefit from better textures, full 720p and 4x MSAA. I'll take that in a heartbeat.

Yeah it sounds right, personally I hope Nintendo moneyhatted Square Enix for Final Fantasy Versus XIII/Final Fantasy XV.

XV is going to be XIV 2.0 - Square trademarked Final Fantasy XV in the US, the icon looks like XV with a line through the middle, and is being used on XIV 2.0 screenshots. And that ain't gonna be an exclusive, since they've been working on the PS3 build forever. It'd still be damn nice to see on Wii-U, though, even if it isn't an exclusive.

There is no confirmation on this at all.

The PR person from Nintendo probably just said "1080p" in regards to the Wii U being an HD system. I wouldn't hold your breath. It does look like however that most Wii U ports will benefit from better textures, full 720p and 4x MSAA. I'll take that in a heartbeat.

There's no confirmation of 720p either, except that the demos of many games have been 720p (possibly due to being displayed on 720p monitors). Personally I HATE heavy anti aliasing, and would much prefer the higher resolution that then doesn't need it and provides a much sharper image.

Meelow

Banned
XV is going to be XIV 2.0 - Square trademarked Final Fantasy XV in the US, the icon looks like XV with a line through the middle, and is being used on XIV 2.0 screenshots. And that ain't gonna be an exclusive, since they've been working on the PS3 build forever. It'd still be damn nice to see on Wii-U, though, even if it isn't an exclusive.

I'm pretty sure that was actually Final Fantasy XIV, not XV.

Square better put the main stream Final Fantasy back on Nintendo with the Wii U, we all want it and Nintendo and Square have a better relationship than Microsoft and Square which helps it even more.

And SE put Dragon Quest X as a Nintendo exclusive on the Wii and Wii U which makes it a better chance of FF back on Nintendo.

I'm pretty sure that was actually Final Fantasy XIV, not XV.

Square better put the main stream Final Fantasy back on Nintendo with the Wii U, we all want it and Nintendo and Square have a better relationship than Microsoft and Square which helps it even more.

And SE put Dragon Quest X as a Nintendo exclusive on the Wii and Wii U which makes it a better chance of FF back on Nintendo.

The trademark is specifically called Final Fantasy XV in its official registration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom