• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think I said it earlier, but I can guarantee that a lot of publishers would, in hindsight, change their stance on the Wii if they could go back in time with the knowledge of today. Sven isn't the only one to speak out about it (I can't remember who the other one was).

I'm pretty surprised there hasn't been a RE6 announcement for the Wii U, even moreso if Capcom truly intends to keep it off the system. I've felt, with the DS/3DS developments, that Nintendo was pretty chummy with Capcom at this point. And I would have thought they'd be pushing to get RE6 on the Wii U.

Effect

Part of me thinks they have to port Dragon's Dogma with how low it sold outside of Japan. There is no way they've made back the money they put into the game. That is if they haven't decided to cut their losses and hope RE6 does so well as to make up the difference.

Edit: Does anyone know if you can preorder Wii U games in Best Buy via their kiosk? I know you can on BestBuy.com but don't like that they put a hold on your card for the funds.

A Patent Application got published today (filed Dec.21.2011) which explains how the Upad's sensors could affect what's being viewed on the display.

untitled3ptkuj.png

It's something we'll surely see being extensively used in WiiU games (edit: especially 1st/3rd person titles), but from what we've seen, ZombieU is a title that immediately comes to mind.

Especially this part:
untitledntki0.png

This seems to demonstrate a "ghost"-like enemy, only being visible on the Upad screen.
untitled2nkki7.png

Could be stuff included in older patents/already posted, not sure, so ignore as necessary.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm pretty surprised there hasn't been a RE6 announcement for the Wii U, even moreso if Capcom truly intends to keep it off the system. I've felt, with the DS/3DS developments, that Nintendo was pretty chummy with Capcom at this point. And I would have thought they'd be pushing to get RE6 on the Wii U.

I am 99% sure it will be coming, probably in the first half of 2013.

Aside from games announced last year and Tanks! Japanese 3rd parties have been 100% silent on Wii U so far.

We'll hear from Capcom and the rest of them probably in September.

I am pretty bullish on Capcom support.

Donnie

Umbrella Chronicles was released in 2007. Darkside Chronicles came out in late 2009, the same year as RE5.

Capcom made the decision to make rail shooters for Wii in lieu of free-roaming RE4-style games long before they had any RE5 sales figures to respond to.

Sven gave a quote at E3 last year that, while vague, sounded like he was recognizing that this was a stupid decision in hindsight:

...but if RE6 isn't actually coming to Wii U this year, I suppose Capcom hasn't really learned anything.

The thing is he's seems to only be referring to a lack of hindsight on how successful Wii ended up being. As in if he knew it was going to be such a success he'd have started more Wii projects earlier. But they didn't need hindsight on the consoles future success to see that IF they were to release another RE game than a sequel to RE4 was the way to go. They released two different kinds of RE games to test the market, they were basically asking the Wii user base which kind of game they would buy more of. The market said "We'll buy more of the first kind of game" and their response was to release the second kind of game. The response from the user base then was "we told you we didn't want that and we're not buying it" to which Capcom said "What did we do wrong?, obviously Wii owners just don't like Resident Evil". Its completely baffling.

A direct port of RE4 sold over 2m on Wii with a user base of around 10-15m. What could a direct sequel to RE4 using a slightly polished up engine have sold in 2009 with a userbase of around 60m? I think Capcom are absolutely mad.

Anyway I'll stop talking about this now, I've said my piece on just how crazy I think Capcom are.

Sadist

No Capcom announcements as of yet for Wii U surprises me even more.

Allthough, the way how Capcom (or Kobayashi?) dodged the question about a possible RE 6 Wii U during the IGN interview a few months ago made me kind of suspicious.

Nothing specific and in hindsight general may not even be an accurate description, but the holes in genres have been glaring.
Noted.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I agree.
I was really expecting this at E3 conf, and this was the major disappointment I got from the event.

No Capcom announcements as of yet for Wii U surprises me even more.

Allthough, the way how Capcom (or Kobayashi?) dodged the question about a possible RE 6 Wii U during the IGN interview a few months ago made me kind of suspicious.
yes, I find it hard to believe they didn't just port Framework MT and are going port crazy with it.

Then again, I like Sven a lot; but he doesn't have his way loads of times. It's not that he doesn't try, it's that he hits a wall; he's in US after all, had a lot to do with Okami wii and Spyborgs and pushed actively to hype Zack and Wiki and localize Tatsunoko; not much to do with everything else Capcom did, from the Dead Rising Wii piss poor adaptation to the on-rail RE's instead of a proper RE. He probably saw it coming too, like: "damn, I'm gonna get flamed to death for having to stand by this", but he still did.

If Capcom is taking crap decisions now it's not really his fault (well seeing they gave DMC to Ninja Theory a US based dev, perhaps a little)

The thing is he's seems to only be referring to a lack of hindsight on how successful Wii ended up being. As in if he knew it was going to be such a success he'd have started more Wii projects earlier. But they didn't need hindsight on the consoles future success to see that IF they were to release another RE game than a sequel to RE4 was the way to go. They released two different kinds of RE games to test the market, they were basically asking the Wii user base which kind of game they would buy more of. The market said "We'll buy more of the first kind of game" and their response was to release the second kind of game. The response from the user base then was "we told you we didn't want that and we're not buying it" to which Capcom said "What did we do wrong?, obviously Wii owners just don't like Resident Evil". Its completely baffling.
Nah, I think they got the memo. Resident Evil 3DS probably wouldn't have happened otherwise.

The guy that decided for another on-rails endeavour should be fired though.
A direct port of RE4 sold over 2m on Wii with a user base of around 10-15m. What could a direct sequel to RE4 using a slightly polished up engine have sold in 2009 with a userbase of around 60m? I think Capcom are absolutely mad.

Anyway I'll stop talking about this now, I've said my piece on just how crazy I think Capcom are.
Every dev was crazy stupid last gen. Neither of them wanted the wii to be too successful or change their plans in a meaningful way so they just wanted to drop some games in there and watch it go away. Hence the "fad" statements; if it was a fad, they ought to want to be there with the best quality possible games, not on console's that weren't fad's. I've never seen a console being insulted for selling like this generation managed to; fad being an insult.

Capcom only did one shovelware piece of shit, Dead Rising (and suffered dearly for it on their forums). The on-rail things being just things no one asked for and thus mistreated by a pissed off userbase. They still were one of the few devs that listened somewhat; after that they did MH3, and ported Framework MT (for the platform that couldn't possibly deal with RE5's title screen, lol). It was just too late, unforgivingly so too when they 3/4 years to do the right thing.

daakusedo

I was hoping for re6 on wiiu more importantly for free online play but now the game has to be very good first, I didn't really saw all the interesting elements that came with the reveal of the game in the e3 footage, but that was still not hopeless.
And I wouldn't mind a reactive inventory system on the pad like the one from Revelations.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Samurai Warriors 4 coming by February 2014

I would be extremely surprised if this did not come to Wii U, and would not be shocked if its at least a timed exclusive.

I don't like Mosous games (if I have to choose I prefer Basara) but this is the kind of games I'm expecting as multiplatforms for the Wii U with PS3/PS4 for the next years, as mandatory from Japanese softco.
I mean: SW3 was also on the Wii; considering the easier multiplatform developments between Wii U and PS3 I really think that would be stupid for third parties to skip the Wii U version for games that they already tried to bring on the Wii (that created more problems in terms of multiplat developments under a tech point of view but also under a demographic target point of view).
Basara, SW, but also Tales games should be a lock, otherwise I'd be really disappointed by both Nintendo and third parties.

Aside these "obvious" titles, I'd like to see a change from the Wii situations, represented by titles like RE6, for example.

Also if I'd love to see more exclusives than multi, of course. As was for MH3.

Basara, SW, but also Tales games should be a lock, otherwise I'd be really disappointed by both Nintendo and third parties.
By Tales you mean Namco's Tales? (sorry really confused since it seems like we're talking capcom)

Prepare to be dissapointed; those are the real ones ignoring logic, not Capcom.

schuelma

By Tales you mean Namco's Tales? (sorry really confused since it seems like we're talking capcom)

I strongly think Tales is coming to Wii U- they have a history on Nintendo platforms, and Alberto said a few weeks ago Nintendo was trying to get it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Yes, I was talking about Tales of, sorry :)
I thnk that if they are focusing on home console with the main entries as I suppose, it would be interesting to develop multi with Wii U (giving PS3 as a lock) especially at the very end of PS3 lifecycles and at the very beginning of PS4 lifecycle.
All of this especially if we think (do we?) that Wii U could be aimed in a more balanced way compared to the Wii at both targets (casual but also "normal" Japanese crowd). Also DQX at the beginning of the lifecycle (is it stated for a 2012 release yet?) could help.

Yes, I was talking about Tales of, sorry :)
I thnk that if they are focusing on home console with the main entries as I suppose, it would be interesting to develop multi with Wii U (giving PS3 as a lock) especially at the very end of PS3 lifecycles and at the very beginning of PS4 lifecycle.
All of this especially if we think (do we?) that Wii U could be aimed in a more balanced way compared to the Wii at both targets (casual but also "normal" Japanese crowd). Also DQX at the beginning of the lifecycle (is it stated for a 2012 release yet?) could help.
Multi might happen, that's the most they'll do as they forget to even acknowledge the series has an userbase on nintendo platforms.

Then again, what's the point of releasing Tales of Xillia 2 on the wii U? (whilst not porting the first one) It would have been like releasing Tales of Destiny 2 on the wii.

As for late ports, they might turn as bad as TotA did, piss poor job, they only seem to have a care for increase content and polish when it comes to re-releases for playstation brand.
Tales comes to everything but good Tales games have to be courted.
Or they might unleash Team Ratatosk on us again.

Tales of Recycle!

They have to be courted and even then they'll be cut down versions of the late port for another platform 6/12 months away; all according to plan!

Namco made it so this gen that no guy with a PS3 will buy a Tales game for any platform but it; their (timed) exclusivity is worth 0 cents of a dollar.

I think I said it earlier, but I can guarantee that a lot of publishers would, in hindsight, change their stance on the Wii if they could go back in time with the knowledge of today. Sven isn't the only one to speak out about it (I can't remember who the other one was).

I don't know, I'm seeing a lot of similar comments form some of these companies. I've said it before you can't take a wait and see approach to building a user base. If you want a user base that buys "core/hardcore" games, then those games need to be their from day one.

Taking a wait and see approach leaves you in the same position it did with the Wii, where you're 2 years in and have done nothing to build an audience and now it's too late.

I'm not saying the Wii-U is going to be another Wii, or as successful, BUT repeating the way they treated the Wii, is just setting things up for history to repeat itself.

If Capcom really learned something from their Wii experience, RE6 would be launching day and date on the Wii-U as the other systems.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I was hoping for re6 on wiiu more importantly for free online play but now the game has to be very good first, I didn't really saw all the interesting elements that came with the reveal of the game in the e3 footage, but that was still not hopeless.
And I wouldn't mind a reactive inventory system on the pad like the one from Revelations.

I wouldl ike RE6 on the Wii U especially if they allow you to play its coop local multiplayer with this setting:

player 1: on the gamepad
player 2: on the tv screen (with remote pointer + nunchak)

I'd dieeee for something like that (and I played RE5 only in local coop multiplayer mode)

Multi might happen, that's the most they'll do as they forget to even acknowledge the series has an userbase on nintendo platforms.

Then again, what's the point of releasing Tales of Xillia 2 on the wii U? (whilst not porting the first one) It would have been like releasing Tales of Destiny 2 on the wii.

As for late ports, they might turn as bad as TotA did, piss poor job, they only seem to have a care for increase content and polish when it comes to re-releases for playstation brand.Or they might unleash Team Ratatosk on us again.

Tales of Recycle!

They have to be courted and even then they'll be cut down versions of the late port for another platform 6/12 months away; all according to plan!

Namco made it so this gen that no guy with a PS3 will buy a Tales game for any platform but it; their (timed) exclusivity is worth 0 cents of a dollar.

Late PS3 lifecycle + early PS4 lifecycle = Tales of BRAND NEW Xmas 13 :)

I also think that having multiplatform titles of some specific game-brand would help thw Wii U a lot (if the alternative is to not have games in that specific genre/target) also if obviously Wii U versions would not sell hot like hell

:)

I don't know, I'm seeing a lot of similar comments form some of these companies. I've said it before you can't take a wait and see approach to building a user base. If you want a user base that buys "core/hardcore" games, then those games need to be their from day one.

Taking a wait and see approach leaves you in the same position it did with the Wii, where you're 2 years in and have done nothing to build an audience and now it's too late.

I'm not saying the Wii-U is going to be another Wii, or as successful, BUT repeating the way they treated the Wii, is just setting things up for history to repeat itself.

If Capcom really learned something from their Wii experience, RE6 would be launching day and date on the Wii-U as the other systems.

I agree. Unfortunately up to now the best scenario I can foresee for RE6 on the Wii U is a RE6 Gold Edition with some additional mode in mid '13

Hoodbury

Kinda a general question but has there been any talks about cross platform play for this new gen? I know some PS3 games and 360? games can play with PC now right? Is there any rumblings about finally having cross console play?

It's always fun to say the biggest competition or best players play on this console or that console. But why not let it finally happen and let us play against each other? Wii FPS gamers always say their Wii-mote/chuck control system is much better than DA. Let us put that to the test. Xboxers say the real CoD gamers play on the 360 not the PS3, let them prove it. Now that the Wii-U is up to par with these other guys, lets all play some third party games together.

What is the reason why the PS3 and 360 never did it? Is it just a Sony and Microsoft never wanted to play nice together type of thing? Is there a technical reason, they play on different servers, etc?

Will next gen make this any easier?

nordique

I think before the doom and gloom of RE6 jumping the Wii U ship are made, we should wait until we see what Nintendo shows on the Japanese side.

I mean, there is strong evidence that COD BLOPS2 is coming to Wii U. It is arguably one of the largest third party titles in the west, and Nintendo has made no mention of it whatsoever.

Just because RE6 has not been announced doesn't mean people should claim its not coming.

Kinda a general question but has there been any talks about cross platform play for this new gen? I know some PS3 games and 360? games can play with PC now right? Is there any rumblings about finally having cross console play?
Is known it is discouraged between PS3 and X360 by manufacturers. I'd suspect Nintendo doesn't have a stance on it.
It's always fun to say the biggest competition or best players play on this console or that console. But why not let it finally happen and let us play against each other? Wii FPS gamers always say their Wii-mote/chuck control system is much better than DA. Let us put that to the test. Xboxers say the real CoD gamers play on the 360 not the PS3, let them prove it. Now that the Wii-U is up to par with these other guys, lets all play some third party games together.
Problem would be voice chat and the whole "are you on *insert platform name*? mine is better" kind of conversations; specially if one of the versions is slightly worse.
What is the reason why the PS3 and 360 never did it? Is it just a Sony and Microsoft never wanted to play nice together type of thing? Is there a technical reason, they play on different servers, etc?
It was discouraged, I reckon Capcom wanted to do it for one of their fighters and got blocked?

Linkhero1

I haven't posted in here in forever.

I am posting in this thread more because things I have heard about game-wise have gotten me from "I guess I'll get it someday" to "Huh, I kind of really want this now."

That's great to hear, but until we see something I'm reserving judgement. Assuming you're talking about a third party title, I'm hoping it's a solid Tales game.

schuelma

That's great to hear, but until we see something I'm reserving judgement. Assuming you're talking about a third party title, I'm hoping it's a solid Tales game.

Judging by his comments he's talking about more than 1 game.

Linkhero1

Judging by his comments he's talking about more than 1 game.

Still, I would love a solid Tales game. I wouldn't mind some original titles too.

I haven't been following Wii U news for a while, but has Nintendo given a date for their Fall conference/Nintendo Direct?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I haven't been following Wii U news for a while, but has Nintendo given a date for their Fall conference/Nintendo Direct?

The only official thing they (Nintendo) said is that they will discuss-announce more things about what we can expect from the Wii U later on (after the launch window) next Autumn.

schuelma

Still, I would love a solid Tales game. I wouldn't mind some original titles too.

I think a Tales game is one title Alberto is hinting at.

Nintendo has only said launch details will be in the Fall, most likely September.

If Nintendo follows their usual schedule there should be a Nintendo Direct August 21st or so.

I think we'll hear some game announcements in August from Japan. Just a guess.

Linkhero1

I wouldn't mind seeing a game where you design your own non-specific action figures then put them in play.

Hi ;)

The only official thing they (Nintendo) said is that they will discuss-announce more things about what we can expect from the Wii U later on (after the launch window) next Autumn.

So that should be pretty soon then. Judging by past ND/Conferences they usually do something around October. If launch is believed to be in November then I would guess October is when we'll hear something.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Hi ;)

So that should be pretty soon then. Judging by past ND/Conferences they usually do something around October. If launch is believed to be in November then I would guess October is when we'll hear something.

Well...not so soon! It's way too late imho

schuelma

The pre-launch event for the Wii in 2006 was mid-September I believe.

I can't wait to see how they market the Wii U. The non-specific action figure scene was a bit to corny for my tastes so I hope they don't go in that direction with Wii U commercials.

Also, Nintendo is going to have a harder time advertising the Wii U compared to the Wii. It was for more easier to show how the Wii worked and easier to understand as well. They have to show that the Wii U is a completely new console while, at the same time, advertising the fact that it can use Wii accessories. On top of that, they have to explain how the Wii U gamepad is not a tablet computer and how the gamepad interacts with the television. Oh, and the online of course.

I think there should be adverts or 'tv spots' as you yanks call them ;), already airing for Wii U.

Just small 20 - 30 second trailers if you will with something like 'the successor to the 95 million selling Nintendo Wii console is coming....' *flashes of Nintendo Land, Zombi U, NSMB U and Pikmin 3*, then a shot of the controller with the console, ending with 'coming Winter 2012'.

There were Resident Evil 6 and Blops 2 adverts airing over 6 months before launch, it pays to build hype far in advance.

I believe Resi 6 is the biggest pre ordered Resi game ever and one of the reasons why is because they started advertising it so far in advance of it's launch imo.

I also think Nintendo are playing a very dangerous game releasing the 3DS XL so close to the Wii U, it's £200 RRP in the UK, so from that im guessing Wii U is going to be at least £250. If people drop £240 on a 3DS XL and NSMB 2 i really doubt they are going to want to spend another £300 on a Wii U and launch game little more than two months later, esp in the financial situation the world is in.

Linkhero1

I think a Tales game is one title Alberto is hinting at.

Nintendo has only said launch details will be in the Fall, most likely September.

If Nintendo follows their usual schedule there should be a Nintendo Direct August 21st or so.

I think we'll hear some game announcements in August from Japan. Just a guess.

I was wondering when they'll be discussing titles developed by Japanese developers. I remember they said they'll have some sort of conference after e3 for that but nothing came out of it.

Well...not so soon! It's way too late imho

Well better late than never :p

The pre-launch event for the Wii in 2006 was mid-September I believe.
Was it? I honestly don't remember what they did before Wii launch. It's possible, like you said, that we'll have a ND soon and a conference sometime before launch.

schuelma

I was wondering when they'll be discussing titles developed by Japanese developers. I remember they said they'll have some sort of conference after e3 for that but nothing came out of it.

That ended up being just the Japanese version of the E3 software being shown off.

Iwata tweeted during the E3 PC that Japanese 3rd party games and launch details would be shown off at a later date.

Based on Alberto's most recent posts and my own prior opinion, I suspect Japanese support is going to be decent at the very least.

TriGen

Was it? I honestly don't remember what they did before Wii launch. It's possible, like you said, that we'll have a ND soon and a conference sometime before launch.

I looked it up. It appears the Fall conference with all the big launch details was September 15th for a November 19th launch (NA). So I would assume their conference will be about two months before launch again, and if rumors are to be believed about that November 18th launch date it seems we are on a near identical pace. It was held in London.

Linkhero1

^^ thanks. I'll watch it during my break.

That ended up being just the Japanese version of the E3 software being shown off.

Iwata tweeted during the E3 PC that Japanese 3rd party games and launch details would be shown off at a later date.

Based on Alberto's most recent posts and my own prior opinion, I suspect Japanese support is going to be decent at the very least.

I would expect it to be so with Iwata trying to build a better relationship with our third parties. It shouldn't be as difficult to get Japanese developers on board. I looked back and it seems to have beem discussed already, but I do believe some developers have switched over support from Vita to Wii U.

I looked it up. It appears the Fall conference with all the big launch details was September 15th for a November 19th launch (NA). So I would assume their conference will be about two months before launch again, and if rumors are to be believed about that November 18th launch date it seems we are on a near identical pace. It was held in London.
Sweet. August will pass quick with the release of some nice 3DS games. Hopefully we get a ND with some tidbits in August. They have been releasing them two months apart so August fits perfectly for the next one.

Meelow

Banned
That Crytek comment made me really happy, gives me hopes :).

The Fall Conference should be around TGS, last year's one was a day before TGS started so somewhere around their.

Banned
I may be the only one in this party but I think people are hyping Retro's game way too much. I love retro, they're in my top 5 and they have yet to release a game I haven't enjoyed, but I think too many people are expecting them to make some photorealistic game that blows uncharted out of the water. And I think their art style on their next game will be more Donkey Kong like (cartoony) than photo realistic (Metroid) and when it's revealed there will be a huge divide among us Nintendo fans. I hope I'm wrong but the bad E3 and lack of news has put a lot of pressure on Retro and with their high turnover rate and such I don't think they are going to meet the unrealistic expectations of a lot of fans.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
That is the shitty thing that companies like Capcom did. Ubisoft at least brought Red Steel 2 and ended up taking a hit for doing so but they kept trying. You can bet the launch windows software sales will be looked at closely.

ZombiU will probably be heavily watched by all companies. If its a success thats good for the console. If it does poorly and I mean worse than Red Steel that will immediately get heads turning and projects on the hook ready to be pulled.
I don't think a SP only FPS from a tarnished brand would have been expected to sell a lot on the HD twins either.

About Zombie U. I just hope is good. Because the system (owners) will be judged based on it's sales even if the actual game is shallow.

HeySeuss

I hope Capcom doesn't give us a shoe horned version of RE5 with crappy gamepad controls and throws their hands up when it tanks and be like "well I guess there's no mature audience for WiiU so no RE6 port".

This seems likely to happen.

I hope Capcom doesn't give us a shoe horned version of RE5 with crappy gamepad controls and throws their hands up when it tanks and be like "well I guess there's no mature audience for WiiU so no RE6 port".

This seems likely to happen.
Considering that's what they did when RE4 sold well...

Dead Rising was the real test.

HeySeuss

Considering that's what they did when RE4 sold well...

Dead Rising was the real test.

RE4 was different in that it had an established Gamecube base to draw from and the pointer controls were a no brainer. RE5 wasn't on wii and the WiiU controller takes some real thought to take advantage of. Not to mention that RE5 isn't nearly as highly regarded as RE4.

Anth0ny

I don't even care about the status of RE6 anymore.

I still think RE6 Gold edition will find a release on Wii U, but that games looks so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom