• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo

I am actually pretty excited about the launch for Wii U. I mean, as a Nintendo only gamer; the launch seems pretty good.

I am definitely gonna get Mario. ACIII, Batman and ZombiU are also on my list. And if Team Ninja/Nintendo manage to improve Ninja Gaiden 3, I'll definitly pruchase that one as well.

Much, much better than the 3DS, Wii and DS launch if you aks me.

I'm sorry but how the hell did you survive? o__o

JordanN

Banned
just a thought seeing as these e3 leaked specs are being talked about again: Any reason the spec list would show audio dsp clock speed but not cpu/gpu?

If not, is there likely any correlation between audio dsp speed and CPU clock speed (ie does it need to sync or anything, like memory/cpu does in a pc?)
DSP may be off the shelf so it's possible it wont undergo any changes whereas the GPU and CPU are custom so Nintendo wont give any concrete numbers till they come up with a finalized design. It may also protect against potential corporate espionage (again, both processors being custom and constantly worked on).

Those are my guesses.

Log4Girlz

Star Beast early concept art

jffhhjq8tgcneemrbc.jpg

jukxgysfid43vjxo62.jpg

336588_34838217183887gvrtp.jpg

jbwy75wb5d0qpk5rq66.jpg

jby7jewe1vb8fju3pfl.jpg

jkjyd3dtr0tb50prb2.jpg

jvxliw9jswsucgiqj7.jpg

That's some of the worst art I've ever seen in my entire life.

That's some of the worst art I've ever seen in my entire life.

My main beef with it is that nothing seems to match up. I'm guessing since it is just concept art that will likely change. At any rate, the monster looks awful, and the only thing I like is the picture of all the different ship designs. So yeah, I'm not interested in this at all.

I gamed mostly on the Wii for 4.5-5 years so I would guess by ignoring the every console he doesn't own much like I did before getting a PS3 for little or nothing....

I'm also curious about this "Nintendo-only" sub-species of gamers. Do you play games purely for "fun"?

as for myself I played what I had and graphics didn't and still don't matter to me really so I never paid attention to the games I couldn't play.

This is totally incorrect, both the PS3 and 360 GPU operate at 500 mhz (though of course clockspeed isn't everything anyway).

Wikipedia will tell you 550 mhz for the PS3 GPU, but they are wrong (I even tried to change it once long ago and naturally somebody changed it back right away so I gave up)

But even if the Wiki figure was correct the chart shows it at 650 mhz.

Donnie

This is totally incorrect, both the PS3 and 360 GPU operate at 500 mhz (though of course clockspeed isn't everything anyway).

Wikipedia will tell you 550 mhz for the PS3 GPU, but they are wrong (I even tried to change it once long ago and naturally somebody changed it back right away so I gave up)

But even if the Wiki figure was correct the chart shows it at 650 mhz.

It shows it at 700Mhz, but I agree its definitely wrong.

Mr. Matthew

Neo Member

Haha I know, it sounds kinda strange but hear me out:

Studying and working a lot means I don't have a lot of spare time. And if I do have some time at my hands, I usually hang out with friends.

When there weren't any great games on Wii, somehow there were always some DS/3DS games to fill that gap (think Pokemon for instance). And Brawl also helps a lot. I think my friends and I have put over 1400 hours in that game if I am not mistaken.

So yeah, I survived, but it wasn't easy ;)

OK, so I went to the Austin WiiU experience last night. It was an interesting venue, looked like a closed down strip club... but anyway...

First off, the game pads were tethered, no luck testing distance, however I spoke to one of the actual Nintendo employees there
Not the black shirted cheerleaders, the plain clothed guys who fixed the systems if there were to be any type of problem
He told me that he had personally seen one work at 30 yards bit beyond that he couldn't say. He then specified that there were also no walls separating the game pad and system at the time, then added the standard anywhere in the living room line before stating that they always officially state a shorter range than what is technically possible because depending on their setup not everyone will achieve Max range. We then spoke of the wave bird functioning at double Nintendo's official range, but he would comment further...

Played Razors edge, it looks like a ps360 game but the combat was extremely fluid and decapitations were very satisfying.

Played NSMBU, when choosing characters I chose the darkened out mii icon and it worked. The mii looked out of place and seemed to be wearing a wario colored track suit. Otherwise, if you've played a Mario side scroller you know what to expect.

Nintendoland, in the demo I played the hub world wasn't available but I played the luigis mansion game as the ghost and as a mii. I think people are greatly underestimating the drunken awesomeness this game will unleash.

Rayman Legends, beautiful. handles great. I was a very tight game and I found no collision detection problems.

ZombiU, I played the multi player, I had the new pro controller while my wife sent waves of zombies at me. Definitely the best looking game there, I was suprised after reading what others where saying. It looked better than any PS3 game I've played, and yes that includes heavy rain. the lighting was perfect, the shadows had super sharp edges and were dynamic and seemed to properly react the the surface they were shown on.
Not sure how else to describe that...

Pikmin 3, while not as great graphically when compared to zombiu, it was head and shoulders above ninja gaiden and batmanAC ports that were there. Great frame rate and resolution. That said, I could see this one being possible on other systems though. They ed probably have the lose the depth of field and some lighting effects to do so however.

Wii Fit U, This game was the only system crash of the night. They were showing off the trampoline game, but I requested the luge game. Apparently there was a reason. they weren't showing it off. Coincidentally this crash brought the plain clothed Nintendo tech guys out of hiding and gave me the opportunity to speak to the guy I mentioned earlier.
They really are ninja like...
They got it restarted, and proved to me that they were playing the games on actual systems and not simply displaying empty shells... That said, great f*cking workout. This became a buy for me.

I didn't get a chance with P100 but it looked nice from behind the masses.

Played Nsmb2 on the XL, the larger screens have giant pixels that I couldn't unseen while playing... luckily the game pad doesn't have this problem.

Also, while the pro controller felt great, I did have one small/possibly larger gripe. the start button is WAY too damned close to the Y button. Maybe I just have big hands but I kept pausing while trying to reload.

And Ninja Gaiden can be played on the game pad...

Wii Fit U, This game was the only system crash of the night. They were showing off the trampoline game, but I requested the luge game. Apparently there was a reason. they weren't showing it off. Coincidentally this crash brought the plain clothed Nintendo tech guys out of hiding and gave me the opportunity to speak to the guy I mentioned earlier.
They really are ninja like...
They got it restarted, and proved to me that they were playing the games on actual systems and not simply displaying empty shells... That said, great f*cking workout. This became a buy for me.

You were trying to crash the system on purpose so the ninja's came out huh ? ;).

Cheers for posting the info, i would consider myself a bit of a graphics wh0re and i also couldn't understand the pounding ZombiU was getting over it's visuals.

I think the biggest thing we will see next gen is lighting and fire, smoke and particle effects and ZombiU looks to have them all (the IGN video where the guy threw the fire bottle at the Zombi showed this off best).

If you done those sort of effects on an FPS on PS3 or 360 the framerate would likely tank, ZombiU is also running at 720p native and a locked 30fps while displaying the game on the tablet, really impressive esp for a launch game imo.

For a launch game, that by all accounts was thrown together pretty quickly and on a low budget i think it looks amazing, one of the main games that actually makes great use of the tablet pad aswell.

If all the major games are out on launch day i will be picking up a Black Wii U console, a core controller, ZombiU, Assassin's Creed 3 and Pikmin 3.

Will pickup Nintendo Land and NSMB U once they price drop a bit in 2013.

D-e-f-

Banned
If you done those sort of effects on an FPS on PS3 or 360 the framerate would likely tank,

ZombiU is also running at 720p native and a locked 30fps while displaying the game on the tablet, really impressive esp for a launch game imo.

For a launch game, that by all accounts was thrown together pretty quickly and on a low budget i think it looks amazing, one of the main games that actually makes great use of the tablet pad aswell.

1) Well, the dynamically spreading fire in Uncharted 3's French mansion was mighty impressive as well.

2) It's not running the game game world on the touch screen. The only time it does is when you're stationary while scanning or using a scoped weapon which obscures a big part of the screen. I think it looks really really good technically but let's not oversell it :)

3) Thrown together pretty quickly? About 3 years is what you call pretty quickly and "thrown together"? (I'll grant you that they turned out around pretty quickly from its Killer Freaks origins into the Zombie setting) Also, how do you know it is a low budget game? Action+Explosions don't mean the game has a higher budget, it's not a movie.

Oh and the Mario/NintendoLand price drop in early 2013 ...
like that? :)
nsmbwiir9aja.jpg

you know Nintendo's own major games hardly ever drop in price, right?

1) Well, the dynamically spreading fire in Uncharted 3's French mansion was mighty impressive as well.

2) It's not running the game game world on the touch screen. The only time it does is when you're stationary while scanning or using a scoped weapon which obscures a big part of the screen. I think it looks really really good technically but let's not oversell it :)

3) Thrown together pretty quickly? About 3 years is what you call pretty quickly and "thrown together"? (I'll grant you that they turned out around pretty quickly from its Killer Freaks origins into the Zombie setting) Also, how do you know it is a low budget game? Action+Explosions don't mean the game has a higher budget, it's not a movie.

Oh and the Mario/NintendoLand price drop in early 2013 ...
like that? :)
nsmbwiir9aja.jpg

you know Nintendo's own major games hardly ever drop in price, right?

Well that $1.11 saved dude!

Next gen won´t be about graphics, it will be about interfaces!

Dark Star premise: alien on board; hilarity ensues.
Star Beast premise: alien on board; horror ensues.
Star Beast became Alien.
Dan O'Bannon was the creative link between the projects.

Thank you so much for to playing my game!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
A couple of tips about Zombi:

I've read that there will be a Survival mode after beating the game, where you have to survive not only with one life (as in the normal game) but with..one survivor only! it will be almost impossible...
plus, in the latest demo we saw also the "online friend infected" message pop up on screen, advising you to chase him in order to free its soul (adding points on your leaderboard) and regaining his equipment

JQsvF.jpg

Hoo-doo

Banned

I've read that there will be a Survival mode after beating the game, where you have to survive not only with one life (as in the normal game) but with..one survivor only! it will be almost impossible...
plus, in the latest demo we saw also the "online friend infected" message pop up on screen, advising you to chase him in order to free its soul (adding points on your leaderboard) and regaining his equipment

JQsvF.jpg

If that is an example of the messaging system that's going to be used system-wide, that would be pretty awesome.

I like it when it's small and nonintrusive like that, as opposed to the hideous huge low-res buttons and banners the 360 and PS3 throw up on the screen when someone logs in or sends an invite.

Do you know if it's ZombiU specific? If it is, have we got any info on the Wii-U's friend/messaging/invite systems?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If that is an example of the messaging system that's going to be used system-wide, that would be pretty awesome.

I like it when it's small and nonintrusive like that, as opposed to the hideous huge low-res buttons and banners the 360 and PS3 throw up on the screen when someone logs in or sends an invite.

Do you know if it's ZombiU specific? If it is, have we got any info on the Wii-U's friend/messaging/invite systems?

Not yet. Nintendo must still reveal almost everything related to their online system (both for gaming, OS; messaging, etc...)
We saw just the pre-e3 video, more or less

this one is Zombi-specific, because it is related to one of the game feature: the persistency of the world. Even if you cannot directly "play" the game in coop mode, you and your friends "live" the same online world. If one of your firends die, you receive this message and you can chase his zombified body to free him and steal his equip.

JQsvF.jpg
That gives alot of hope for online. That place holder image where a Mii is supposed to be gives a hint about these games using online based off the OS. Well what Im thinking..and hopeing.

MDX

Dark Star premise: alien on board; hilarity ensues.
Star Beast premise: alien on board; horror ensues.
Star Beast became Alien.
Dan O'Bannon was the creative link between the projects.

Thank you so much for to playing my game!

Well I had to look it up, so I couldnt play.
But what was interesting was O'bannon's admittance that he
copied from everyone he could to put together Alien.

Also surprising how long ago Dune and Total Recall were being worked on.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The textures didn't seem anything special in trailers either. You'll see it won't look different, all those effects is just trying to cover the texture mess imo.

I played the E3 build and it was similar to a good Xbox360 game.
The latest build shows some improvments (for example the fire and the lights effect) together with some blurry texture that I hope they'll fix.
I suggest you to look at all the IGN videos from the Gamescon, and not only at the trailer that was worst than the direct feed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjfWQxGJlkY&feature=relmfu

(you can find all the related videos in the side bar)

alfolla

Neo Member
The textures didn't seem anything special in trailers either. You'll see it won't look different, all those effects is just trying to cover the texture mess imo.

Because of the short time spent developing the game and the low budget (you know, artist's stuff costs a huge amount of money) i tend to think you're absolutely right on this one.

But there is still time 'till the game comes out.

Well I had to look it up, so I couldnt play.
But what was interesting was O'bannon's admittance that he
copied from everyone he could to put together Alien.

Also surprising how long ago Dune and Total Recall were being worked on.

Well give yourself an internet cookie anyway for not cheating! :) Besides, as you rightly say, this was quite a few years ago now so I wasn't expecting anyone to get it.

D-e-f-

Banned
Because of the short time spent developing the game and the low budget (you know, artist's stuff costs a huge amount of money) i tend to think you're absolutely right on this one.

But there is still time 'till the game comes out.

Again, where do you guys get the "short development time" and "low budget" from? They've been working on the game for at least two years (a year for the Zombie version and another year for the Killer Freaks version).

alfolla

Neo Member
Again, where do you guys get the "short development time" and "low budget" from? They've been working on the game for at least two years (a year for the Zombie version and another year for the Killer Freaks version).

About the budget, Ubisoft has published them not much time ago.

Talking about developing time it's just an opinion.
I'm not much into development things, but i think that the switch of platform and the changes in the general style of the game could have slowed the works.

roddur

ZombiU, I played the multi player, I had the new pro controller while my wife sent waves of zombies at me. Definitely the best looking game there, I was suprised after reading what others where saying. It looked better than any PS3 game I've played, and yes that includes heavy rain. the lighting was perfect, the shadows had super sharp edges and were dynamic and seemed to properly react the the surface they were shown on.

in above vdo the zombi really dont have any dynamic shadow, or i'm seeing wrong?

D-e-f-

Banned
About the budget, Ubisoft has published them not much time ago.

Wait what? Ubisoft made the budget for one of its still-in-development games public? Where?

in above vdo the zombi really dont have any dynamic shadow, or i'm seeing wrong?

Check out the beginning when the zombie is coming through the doorway. You'll see the dynamic shadow on the wall behind it. Once it's through the door, the shadow is gone because you don't cast a huge black shadow if you're lit from all directions with bright lights. What's weird is the Mario-style shadow under its feet, though ...

roddur

Wait what? Ubisoft made the budget for one of its still-in-development games public? Where?

Check out the beginning when the zombie is coming through the doorway. You'll see the dynamic shadow on the wall behind it. Once it's through the door, the shadow is gone because you don't case a huge black shadow if you're lit from all directions with bright lights. What's weird is the Mario-style shadow under its feet, though ...

i saw that too, it's weird.

MDX

At this year’s gamescom Ubisoft demoed a new naval mission for Assassin’s Creed III on the WiiU and PS3, though what quickly caught our attention was that the two weren’t identical.

According to Lead Game Designer Steven Masters, the limited time the development team had to work with the Nintendo hardware has brought up some challenges. Because of this, Masters claims that they are glad that the WiiU version’s release date is still to be announced.

Supposedly the game performs 99% as well as its current gen counter parts, with missing lightings and particle effects creating the most apparent differences. From what we were told, Assassin’s Creed III is planned to match the graphics of the PS3 and Xbox360, not exceed them. However, this is highly dependant of how much time is actually given to work on the title.
http://xbigygames.com/assassins-creed-3-still-playing-catch-up-on-the-wiiu/

Well thats what I heard, they were a bit behind schedule with AC3.

I bet this is whats causing Nintendo headaches at the moment.
Games not being ready. Its probably whats determining their launch date.

Meelow

Banned
n-Space confirmed Winter is still in development, and we know they want a kickstarter so it can come to Wii U, someone should start it.

http://nintendoeverything.com/96721...of-ruin-mary-kate-and-ashley-winter-and-more/

“Frankly, I don’t think the office has ever stopped rumbling about Winter. There’s an intense amount of love among the team for the game. And the more we’ve seen the survival horror genre switch its focus from surviving to reloading, the more we feel the market is hungry for a game like Winter. So what’s the bottom line? The bad news is that we haven’t yet found the right opportunity. The good news is that Winter is just like any good horror movie monster. It’s not dead.” - n-Space

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ahh ha! My spidey senses have been tingling for a while listening to Capcom's hints and explanations.

I suspect a Tri G online port with a few new monsters could still get the job done for Capcom.

I'll try and not get my hopes up, but it does make sense.

Edit- and your description of the indicators being weird is certainly interesting and has me flummoxed.

But...but I want MH3G on my 3DS, I don't want to buy a Wii U in order to play it, come on :(

D-e-f-

Banned
n-Space confirmed Winter is still in development, and we know they want a kickstarter so it can come to Wii U, someone should start it.

http://nintendoeverything.com/96721...of-ruin-mary-kate-and-ashley-winter-and-more/

they didn't say it's "still in development", they said the project is not dead which means they still wanna do it. it's not like they've been working on it the whole time.

But...but I want MH3G on my 3DS, I don't want to buy a Wii U in order to play it, come on :(

Why MH Tri G? why not MH4? It's far more likely that they'll put that game out worldwide than to throw out an updated port that came out Holiday 2011 in the West more than a year later. MH4 has all that climbing stuff and that should gel with westerners a lot better since it "looks" more action-y.

golcarfel

Neo Member

How did the game control? Was it stiff like some people were saying?

Banned
why? I'm seriously asking
the game wasn't that bad, c'mon!
Navigating a 3D plain with a d-pad? What is this FF7? Having to point your wii remote at the screen to bring up a scan visor and shoot a missile, which was slow and clunky and took away formula the fast paced action. It was like playing "Wheres Waldo". Weaker puzzles compared to the Prime series. The enemies were only challenging in the end and the game didn't feel rewarding until the end.

How did the game control? Was it stiff like some people were saying?
Id say more floaty than stiff. That could've had more to do with control setup... I had trouble with it not being invertable. The girl at the demo ensured us that the controls would be customizable in the finished game.

jmizzal

They should just make it a WiiU eshop game, you dont need huge publishers for that, this is the great thing about the WiiU all those games that couldnt come to Wii due to publishers not backing, now they can put them as DD on WiiU and it wont cost them that much money.

They should just make it a WiiU eshop game, you dont need huge publishers for that, this is the great thing about the WiiU all those games that couldnt come to Wii due to publishers not backing, now they can put them as DD on WiiU and it wont cost them that much money.
I like this thought process...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom