• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U CPU Benchmarks (highly unscientific)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So now it's officially severely underpowered? This generation feels like it's going to be a repeat of the last one.

How is this "severely underpowered?" Compared to what? We don't even know the data on 360/PS3 let alone the Nextbox/PS4.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
zHTUl.png

:p

Core 2 Duo T7200 is ancient. Ivy bridge is nearly 5x faster (which was mostly a die shrink...Haswell may jump to 8x faster than the Core2).

Core 2 Duo T7200 is ancient. Ivy bridge is nearly 5x faster (which was mostly a die shrink...Haswell may jump to 8x faster than the Core2).

Also, there is some controversy surrounding that graph. Tegra 3 was running on more up-to-date software than the Core 2 Duo.

It's still impressive, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Tongue-in-cheek post. Is a prime example of how the market has been misled about the power of ARM CPU's.
The test was crocked by Nvidia who was using unoptimized code for the Intel's CPU

The T7200 is what I had in my college laptop. I feel nostalgic seeing it used for a benchmark. Haha.

I actually still used it a lot up until about 10 months ago.

Sooooo.....

What would you derive from this in terms of the CPU in relation to PS360's CPU?

I'm thinking for CPUs only... 3DS<Wii<Vita<360<PS3<WiiU right?
(no real significance to real value of < symbol, just 'greater than')

onQ123

The mere fact that 3rd party games like Assassins Creed 3 are running on the Wii U should clue you in on how ridiculous that notion is.

The Wii U has a more powerful GPGPU than the PS3\Xbox 360 so that doesn't prove that the Wii U CPU is much more powerful than the Vita CPU.

I'm not saying that it is true that the CPU isn't much powerful than the Vita CPU but it is something that I read.

Vita has a 4X Core CPU that's clocked between 800MHz - 2GHz

Wii U CPU is said to be 3X Core clocked around 1.6GHz

Vita is ran at the lower speed to save battery life

It is. Really. The Wii U CPU might be weak, but it's still an order of magnitude faster. And by "order of magnitude", I don't mean "a few" - more like "a few dozen".

We will see

LOL...where did you read that "rumor?"

can't remember but I think it was someone here or on B3D & that was telling people that the Wii U cpu was weak before anything came out about the CPU being weak.

Lol what? That was a thing? I wouldn't be surprised if it was though
EDIT: yeah i would. Isn't the psvita cpu clocked low as hell making it pretty subpar?

4 Cores clocked between 800MHz - 2GHz vs what might be 3X Cores clocked at 1.6GHz

I bet he just made it up. :p

nope I read it from someone who was telling people that the Wii U CPU was weak a while ago. I'm not saying that it's true but lately it seem that it could have a little truth to it.

Durante

I was interested in seeing how this compares to my 2008 gaming PC CPU (i7 920 @ 3.5 Ghz), these are the results:
Code:
Wwise 2012.2 CPU Load (lower is better)

|   Wii U | A6-3500 | i7-920
------------------------------------------------
Peak Limiter   |   0.20% |   0.08% | 0.051%
Delay          |   0.07% |   0.04% | 0.007%

I don't know how reliable the measurements are when they get this low, but the values were quite stable over time in the profiling run.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
4 Cores clocked between 800MHz - 2GHz vs what might be 3X Cores clocked at 1.6GHz
I'm sure Vita's CPU is closer to 800Mhz than 2Ghz. And Mhz means little when comparing CPU's of (radical) different architectures.

I was interested in seeing how this compares to my 2008 gaming PC CPU (i7 920 @ 3.5 Ghz), these are the results:
Code:

I don't know how reliable the measurements are when they get this low, but the values were quite stable over time in the profiling run.

AMD won over an i7? Colour me surprised.

The Wii U has a more powerful GPGPU than the PS3\Xbox 360 so that doesn't prove that the Wii U CPU is much more powerful than the Vita CPU.

I'm not saying that it is true that the CPU isn't much powerful than the Vita CPU but it is something that I read.

Vita has a 4X Core CPU that's clocked between 800MHz - 2GHz

Wii U CPU is said to be 3X Core clocked around 1.6GHz

Vita is ran at the lower speed to save battery life

The CPUs are still very different architectures and thus the number of cores and clock speeds don't tell the whole story. The IBM Power 7 that WiiU is based on is definitely far more powerful than the ARM Cortex-A9 the Vita has.

I could be very wrong, but I think you're oversimplifying the math.

tkscz

AMD FX 6100 has 6 cores and can be overclocked to more than 4GHz. And yet the 4 core i5 still out shines it, even at lower clock speeds. Architecture plays a bigger part than numbers.

wsippel

Banned
Code:

Thanks! I'll add this to the OP.

I just realized that my delay figures are probably wrong. I need to rerun that test.

theman5141

Neo Member
This thread should be swiftly locked, before people start misconstruing things. Looks like the discussion has already devolved into a "Wii U CPU = PSVITA because Nintendo" thread.

It's rather foolish to compare a custom CPU in a console to off-the-shelf desktop parts.

Durante

It's rather foolish to compare a custom CPU in a console to off-the-shelf desktop parts.
Maybe, but comparing official figures released by a middleware provider of code optimized for the platform is probably the least silly way of estimating Wii U CPU performance we have at this point, so every other speculation thread should be locked before this one.

I've found this:

http://www.audiokinetic.com/download/documents/Wwise_v2012.1_ReleaseNotes.pdf

And in some text inside:

5.4 Behavior and Performance Changes
• Wii U basic software pipeline is now optimized (decoders, resampler, mix). About 3x to 4x perfor-mance improvement, comparable to XBox performances (sometimes better!).

• WG-20421 Fixed: Wwise was possibly taking very long time to close a Wwise project if the project
contained a lot of audio input sources.

Does it mean something?

onQ123

AMD FX 6100 has 6 cores and can be overclocked to more than 4GHz. And yet the 4 core i5 still out shines it, even at lower clock speeds. Architecture plays a bigger part than numbers.

The CPUs are still very different architectures and thus the number of cores and clock speeds don't tell the whole story. The IBM Power 7 that WiiU is based on is definitely far more powerful than the ARM Cortex-A9 the Vita has.

I could be very wrong, but I think you're oversimplifying the math.

I know there is a difference.

Reallink

I'd just like to find out whether they made it shitty to pinch pennies or to cram everything in that little 40W case. I mean there has got to be a point of diminishing returns where they're not saving any money producing a weaker chip, and this seems like it has got to be pushing those boundaries.

Margalis

Banned
Oh noes, it's only as fast as the original Xbox!!

This thread is so silly.

It's actually pretty solid info, and might very well be the most precise performance info we'll ever get. ;)

Correction: it might be the most precise info you'll ever get.

theman5141

Neo Member
Maybe, but comparing official figures released by a middleware provider of code optimized for the platform is probably the least silly way of estimating Wii U CPU performance we have at this point, so every other speculation thread should be locked before this one.

I must admit that there is some truth to that. Truthfully, though, I only see this "method" as marginally better than the rest of the baseless speculation. Until we can get a direct comparison to xenon or cell, this is a rather moot point.

DonMigs85

I really wonder if they basically took 3 Gekko/Broadway chips, boosted the clock speed, fused them together, added more cache and use that as the Wii U CPU.
After all, Gekko/Broadway does have out of order execution (unlike Xenon and Cell)

Reallink

I really wonder if they basically took 3 Gekko/Broadway chips, boosted the clock speed, fused them together, added more cache and use that as the Wii U CPU.
After all, Gekko/Broadway does have out of order execution (unlike Xenon and Cell)

So you're saying they literally duct taped 3 Gamecubes together.

antonz

I think it'd be more useful if some of the people who have inside info would tell us what version is the most recent version of the SDK. This pdf is from March and says it's at version CAFE 2.02

Cafe is on SDK 2.07.02 if i am upto date on version

wsippel

Banned
I think it'd be more useful if some of the people who have inside info would tell us what version is the most recent version of the SDK. This pdf is from March and says it's at version CAFE 2.02
The one in the OP is the most recent version. It was literally released hours ago. The March release is quite outdated - there have been several releases and tons of Wii U optimizations since.

The one in the OP is the most recent version. It was literally released hours ago. The March release is quite outdated - there have been several releases and tons of Wii U optimizations since.

The release notes link doesn't work. Is there a similar pdf somewhere for the most recent version?

edit: Found it.

Says it's updated to Cafe 2.07 and Multi 5.2.13 (anyone know what that is?)

Wtf OP...It literally gave us a comparison to the other platforms in the same place you got the Wii U info from! Why didn't you include it?!

Wii U: Optimized the PeakLimiter 4.4x. It takes 0.2% of CPU (0.06ms) for a mono sound. Between 1.1 and 2.8x for all other platforms.

The 476FP (which is assumed by many to be the processor core used in this) is supposedly a direct descendant of the Broadway, but is not a Broadway. It's meant to run at a low clock speed (1.6-2ghz) and is meant to be combined with a bus in a multicore configuration.

Here's IBM's page on it:

https://www-01.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/products/PowerPC_476FP_Embedded_Core

I suggest you do some reading and come to your own conclusions.

It is related to the Broadway, but in no way just a clock-improved version of it.

flippedb

Banned
Wtf OP...It literally gave us a comparison to the PS3 and 360 in the same place you got the Wii U info from! Why didn't you include it?!

Wii U lead platform of the eternity confirmed.

On a serious note, this would put the Wii U near the rumoured 3x Xbox 360, right? If you add RAM and GPU, it might be even better.

Because it tells us nothing. Read the quote again. Several times if necessary.

Says it takes 1.1x to 2.8x for all other platforms. We know this thing is supported on the PS3, 360, Vita and PC. Ignoring PC since that's highly dependent on the hardware and probably isn't considered, at a minimum the same load on the other systems uses .22% of their CPU

AzaK

Wtf OP...It literally gave us a comparison to the other platforms in the same place you got the Wii U info from! Why didn't you include it?!

That's just telling us how much they have managed to speed up the other platforms. Not their actual load on the CPU like the Wii U info includes.

Wait, so it's saying the improvements to the other platforms are 1.1x to 2.8x not that that figure are x times larger on them? Ok...I understand now...was a bit strangely stated but I might have just misread it

Top Bottom