• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Direct Nintendo Games 2013.1.23 - Jan. 23rd, 9 AM EST, 2 PM GMT, 11 PM JP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezalc

Maybe you need to pay more attention to that part.

Of course everybody is entitled to their opinion, but there are a lot of things Brawl did wrong or at least worse than Melee. I don't really care about competitive side of it, I could never wavedash and its' omission didn't impact me in the slightest, however adding something like tripping which clearly breaks the flow of the game, and having a campaign mode that makes little to almost no call backs to the franchises this game is supposed to be bringing together and showcasing are pretty bad design decisions.

ugoo18

onilink88

Balance wise it was bad. Tis some what floaty, removed some nice tricks like L-cancel, combos are near impossible with the lowered hitstun, somewhat slow and other things.

Those issues aside I still enjoy it.

I understand seeing it as inferior from that angle, but, that's not how I've ever seen the SSB series. Way back when I first became cognisant of SSB, the appeal of the game came from the fact that I would get to beat the crap out of other Nintendo characters using Link. The mechanics were unique, fun, etc.. When Melee was released, it wasn't just the fact that they'd polished up gameplay or anything that made me like the game better- no, it was also in part due to the facts that the game looked prettier, sounded better, had more characters, more modes, and more stages to fight on. When Brawl was released, I subjected it to the very same comparisons, and despite the fact that it was a bit behind Melee mechanic-wise, it was still looking much better overall to me.

This isn't even remotely true, Brawl disappointed almost in every category for me.

It isn't even remotely true that I found Brawl to be superior to Melee in the aspects that I found important in a game who's appeal to me stemmed majoritarily from a fanservice angle?

Anyways, I'll drop it because I don't want to derail the thread further.

I'm imagining a 2.5D Yoshi game with crayon textures and physics.

I'm imagining four player co-op.

I'm liking what I'm imagining.
The sad thing is, it'll have the graphics, and music of NSMB series. Complete with bahs and yahs on top of classic Yoshi songs.

If a new Yoshi game ever comes out, I totally expect them to do this.

But Yoshi's Island is one of my all time favorite games, so day 1 no matter what it is.

ffdgh

I understand seeing it as inferior from that angle, but, that's not how I've ever seen SSB series. Way back when I first became cognisant of SSB, the appeal of the game came from the fact that I would get to beat the crap out of other Nintendo characters using Link. The mechanics were unique, fun, etc.. When Melee was released, it wasn't just the fact that they'd polished up gameplay or anything that made me like the game better- no, it was also in part due to the facts that the game looked prettier, sounded better, had more characters, more modes, and more stages to fight on. When Brawl was released, I subjected it to the very the very same comparisons, and despite the fact that it was a bit behind Melee mechanic-wise, it was still looking much better overall to me.

I can respect that. Link's transition to brawl annoys me due to how much slower he is tho like a few other melee characters. Anyway back on topic.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I'm not expecting much beyond Bayo, Pikmin, Wonderful 101, Lego City, and Wii Fit U. That's a lot of content, and it would fit a half hour perfectly. If there is a new game, it won't be significant, or they'll consider VC titles "new" games for the system.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
Less than eight hours to go. Here's hoping Nintendo drops the megatons.

qq more

The sad thing is, it'll have the graphics, and music of NSMB series. Complete with bahs and yahs on top of classic Yoshi songs.

If a new Yoshi game ever comes out, I totally expect them to do this.

But Yoshi's Island is one of my all time favorite games, so day 1 no matter what it is.

Why would they do that? Name a non-NSMB game that has BAH BAHs.

I still play Brawl and Melee all the time. I understand people wanted Melee 2, but I found Brawl to be an amazingly fun game to play with friends. Regardless of the direction they take Smash will always be Day 1 for me

Anth0ny

And my imagination is completely okay with this.

That Yoshi's Story theme, so many memories.

Me too :p

Good Feel already made what I feel to be the spiritual successor to Yoshi's Story in Epic Yarn, I think they'd be a good fit for a new Yoshi platformer.

Of course, we won't see it at the Direct.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
Now imagine a sequel to Yoshi's Story, and less a sequel to Yoshi's Island.

Now that would be an awesome reveal. I think I would buy a Wii U for a sequel to Yoshi's Story. Underrated gem IMO.

Why would they do that? Name a non-NSMB game that has BAH BAHs.
There are none, but its Nintendo. They could do it just to do it. Especially since Yoshi comes from the Mario series and is more light hearted like Mario and not a more serious tone like DKC games are.

I mean, they stuck with that music for four games. They must think people actually like it. (I do, but for one game not four.)

Edit: Dat Metroid Bah. Oh my.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'm not expecting much beyond Bayo, Pikmin, Wonderful 101, Lego City, and Wii Fit U. That's a lot of content, and it would fit a half hour perfectly. If there is a new game, it won't be significant, or they'll consider VC titles "new" games for the system.
This is what I'm thinking. Nothing has really been overly hyped (unlike the Pokemon Direct one), so I'm expecting the above, plus some super boring apps/services for the Wii U. Nothing megatonish. I think those will come at E3.

ThreeSixty

MS is almost definitely revealing the new Xbox on Thursday.

Nintendo will be dropping. Bombs.

I would love for Nintendo to be dropping the bombs as a pre-emptive strike but I really can't see MS revealing the new Xbox this early. It feels far too soon for them to be going into marketing overdrive with the new Xbox.

That Major Nelson countdown indicated and focused on E3; so I honestly believe we'll be waiting until that time for Microsoft's marketing to kick in. I expect something similar to the 360; as in a television event on MTV or something like that.

I just can't see that happening before E3.

qq more

There are none, but its Nintendo. They could do it just to do it. Especially since Yoshi comes from the Mario series and is more light hearted like Mario and not a more serious tone like DKC games are.

I mean, they stuck with that music for four games. They must think people actually like it. (I do, but for one game not four.)

Mario 3D Land didn't have BAH BAHs, neither did the Galaxys. I'm pretty sure this is just some NSMB thing.

Also, Yoshi music has a different style than the Mario games so that makes it even less likely!

NMFried

Did anyone play Glory of Heracles or Fossil Fighters for the DS?

Would anyone be interested in seeing games in these series' on the Wii U?

Ezalc

Did anyone play Glory of Heracles or Fossil Fighters for the DS?

Would anyone be interested in seeing games in these series' on the Wii U?

I have Glory of Heracles on the DS, can't comment on Fossil Fighters though I thought it looked to be fun.

I actually think Glory of Heracles' mana system was really interesting. The story was kind of boring though. Apparently there are some SNES games in the franchise and one of those is supposedly the best, the fourth one. I think the rights to the series are owned by some other company because the original company who made the games went bankrupt a while back. I would like to see a revamp to the series. It could be pretty interesting, hell give it to Monolith Soft I bet they could make a pretty cool RPG set in ancient Greece and the surrounding areas.

NMFried

I have Glory of Heracles on the DS, can't comment on Fossil Fighters though I thought it looked to be fun.

I actually think Glory of Heracles' mana system was really interesting. The story was kind of boring though. Apparently there are some SNES games in the franchise and one of those is supposedly the best, the fourth one. I think the rights to the series are owned by some other company because the original company who made the games went bankrupt a while back. I would like to see a revamp to the series. It could be pretty interesting, hell give it to Monolith Soft I bet they could make a pretty cool RPG set in ancient Greece and the surrounding areas.

This is exactly what I was picturing. I think it could be great. Hell, you could probably throw some Kid Icarus easter eggs in there.

Ezalc

This is exactly what I was picturing. I think it could be great. Hell, you could probably throw some Kid Icarus easter eggs in there.

Ha, didn't think of that but you make a good point. There could easily be Pit's bow in the game, and some other nods to the series.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
1VWTK12.gif

I'm stunned... This one beats the "Vita: back from the dead"-gif from the Media Create Sales thread as best gaf-gif ever imo

AniHawk

i think yoshi is probably their worst-kept secret. if there's one game they show, i'm thinking it's that. if they show off more games we know of, we'll likely get a look at bayonetta 2 and maybe ead tokyo's new thing. i think the rest of the announcements (mario kart, retro's-thing-assuming-it-isn't-yoshi), they'll save for e3

i think in 2014 we'll see announcements for animal crossing, zelda, and whatever monolithsoft's been working on.

Black

Banned
I just really hope it's not another 2d side scroller. Show us something fresh, big, open world, graphixxssss.

Show me something that makes me want to buy the system.

I'm actually not looking forward to this. Nintendo is going to make me re-purchase my 60+ VC games, I just know it.

I haven't done the Wii to Wii U system transfer yet, just because having the Virtual Console games on a separate console right now is nice with a little one that likes the old Mario games. Sometimes he can game there, and I can game on the Wii U GamePad.

I just hope they have a patch ready first, I'm tired of having to move an entertainment system to unplug it when it freezes. 2+ months now since it released, it should be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom