• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U eBay resale / sellout / availability discussion

cacildo

brad-pitt-se7en-seven-end-scene1-575x316.jpg

i love this joke

You can buy them new on Amazon resellers for about 500.

I would love to smack anyone buying it at that price. And then pat those who managed to find people stupid enough on the back.

Same reason I applaud MS for successfully ripping off customers (myself included) for basic online gaming and Avatar items.

If you can find a WiiU anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you 1,200 bucks for it.

This. Every single store in my area sold out of their stock for walk ins within 5 minutes of being open today. 2 Targets, 2 Best Buys, and probably 4-5 GameStops. GameStop claims to have a waiting list of 500,000 people, and Best Buy and Target both told me they have no idea when they'd get shipments again and how many they'd get when they do get a shipment. It is going to be hard for anyone but the most diligent of people to actually be able to walk in around here and buy one for the foreseeable future. I'm certainly glad that I pre-ordered and I think that in the next few weeks you'll see the prices rise on EBay. Never underestimate the soccer mom paying those type of prices to keep their kids happy for Christmas.

ringwaldhaze

Neo Member
I don't blame the sellers. I blame the buyers.
No idea why anyone would pay this anyway and doesn't seem like they are.

While I wish people weren't so stupid to overpay for this stuff, I extend the same sentiment to the people selling. Why you'd want to be a part of perpetuating this horrible eBay culture of taking advantage of people who weren't quick or old enough to get in at the ground floor is beyond me. If you've ever been priced out of buying an older and now out of print release you should be ashamed of yourself for selling the same way. I completely understand that if you own something valuable you don't want to lose out on it but let's not pretend there's no middle-ground here. The whole process of trying to get the top $$$ and "flipping" make my skin crawl.

Uh, they're not going for that much. Completed auctions are more towards $500

I've been keeping track of this all day and am pretty disappointed. I've got a lot of experience with ebay (mom has had account since like 2004) and I'm thinking if we wait till about 10 days before Xmas there's a chance the prices will skyrocket and we could bank a solid 400-500 per unit in pure profit after all the fees are taken (meaning final sale price around $800-900).

This. Every single store in my area sold out of their stock for walk ins within 5 minutes of being open today. 2 Targets, 2 Best Buys, and probably 4-5 GameStops. GameStop claims to have a waiting list of 500,000 people, and Best Buy and Target both told me they have no idea when they'd get shipments again and how many they'd get when they do get a shipment. It is going to be hard for anyone but the most diligent of people to actually be able to walk in around here and buy one for the foreseeable future. I'm certainly glad that I pre-ordered and I think that in the next few weeks you'll see the prices rise on EBay. Never underestimate the soccer mom paying those type of prices to keep their kids happy for Christmas.

Try Sams club.

Mine still had them.

It is funny that people are buying it with the intention of selling it, assuming it's the Wii situation again. I don't think demand is as great for the Wii-U.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I've been keeping track of this all day and am pretty disappointed. I've got a lot of experience with ebay (mom has had account since like 2004) and I'm thinking if we wait till about 10 days before Xmas there's a chance the prices will skyrocket and we could bank a solid 400-500 per unit in pure profit after all the fees are taken.
How many did you buy?

1-D_FTW

Crazy listings aside, what is the actually market value of a Wii U at this point?

Not worth the effort. Whites are consistently at the brake even point once you factor in buyer expenses. Blacks are slightly better, but really not worth the risk when you consider how vulnerable sellers are to chargebacks.

Search completed listings and the prices are either in "not worth it territory" or RED (unsold). There's the occasional Deluxe that is an outlier and might come closer to 100 dollars profit, but this is not a seller's market at the moment.

The question is how many more systems will be added to store inventory when scalpers let pre-orders lapse.

B.K.

I guess I need to go back to Wal-Mart and buy one. I was wondering if they would have any, so I went to the nearest store. They still have one standard set on the shelves.

I sold one for $465. It wasn't as much as I was hoping for, but it's $115 for basically no effort on my part. I'm holding out on selling the other one until closer to Christmas time
, unless anyone on here wants to make me an offer. :p

Try Sams club.

Mine still had them.

It is funny that people are buying it with the intention of selling it, assuming it's the Wii situation again. I don't think demand is as great for the Wii-U.

I don't need one, I pre-ordered so I was able to get one at launch (I guess technically the day after since I'm waiting on GS to deliver mine tomorrow). It was just an observation of the big box stores in my area, which is a fairly heavily populated suburban area. I'm not sure how many people would think of Sam's Club, and if they walked into a Best Buy, Target, or GameStop more than 5 minutes after they opened, they would have been greeted with empty shelves and told that stores had no idea when they'd get more. If that is happening all across the country today, I'd imagine that there are going to be more and more people who will be willing to go the EBay route to get one.

Why are stores selling people 3-4 units anyways? I know GameStop has a policy of not doing this.
Most likely they got a family member or friend to pre-order more.

I sold one for $465. It wasn't as much as I was hoping for, but it's $115 for basically no effort on my part. I'm holding out on selling the other one until closer to Christmas time
You should have just waited for both of them. The odds of you getting less than $465 (a $115 profit) if you sold about a week before Xmas are very, very low. The thing would have to be a complete flop for that to happen, so really there was little risk to just hold onto to it till then and quite possibly make several hundred easy bucks. But I get what you did, I was thinking about doing that too to hedge my bets.

While I would not necessarily bet on WiiU's going for major bucks in the secondary market, the Wii's best availability for about three years was the launch week before Black Friday.

It'll be awesome when a bunch of people get stuck with Wii Us.

Part of the reason there are so many people who are willing to buy them to resell is that there is almost no risk involved. Every store has what, a 30 day return period? So people can buy extras to try and resell them, and if they can't then they can just return them to the store the purchased at. If there was more risk involved, it might help curb the resale market.

1-D_FTW

How's the arithmatic work on that? I'm assuming you live in a state where you didn't pay sales tax? And buyer is paying shipping? But what are the ebay/paypal fees? They clearly took a nice chunk of your profit.

Tagg9

I pre-ordered three just in case one of the retailers I ordered from wasn't able to fulfill it. Turns out all 3 have shipped to me!

I'll see if anyone I know wants to buy them from me at cost, otherwise I'll try to make a $100 profit on them closer to Christmas.

kyo27

This is funny, I've seen a bunch of auctions ended early by the sellers because the sell price was so low. I don' think the price will go up closer to Xmas. Prices are usually highest during launch when supplies are the most limited. The amount of listings will continue to go up while the amount of people willing to overpay will go down.

orznge

Banned
This is funny, I've seen a bunch of auctions ended early by the sellers because the sell price was so low. I don' think the price will go up closer to Xmas. Prices are usually highest during launch when supplies are the most limited. The amount of listings will continue to go up while the amount of people willing to overpay will go down.

the thing is though, "supplies" aren't limited in that if someone couldn't get one on launch, it's likely they'll try to get one on Black Friday, before going through reseller-avenues

I don't need one, I pre-ordered so I was able to get one at launch (I guess technically the day after since I'm waiting on GS to deliver mine tomorrow). It was just an observation of the big box stores in my area, which is a fairly heavily populated suburban area. I'm not sure how many people would think of Sam's Club, and if they walked into a Best Buy, Target, or GameStop more than 5 minutes after they opened, they would have been greeted with empty shelves and told that stores had no idea when they'd get more. If that is happening all across the country today, I'd imagine that there are going to be more and more people who will be willing to go the EBay route to get one.

I was just giving Gaffers advice. I bought my Wii-U they had 3 left an hour ago.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

The opposite has been true since forever. I suppose it's possible that demand would be highest before Thanksgiving, but most people havent' even started holiday shopping yet. It's once they realize that they cant' walk into a store and buy one that prices start to go crazy. It's the same with all holiday hot items, from Elmo to Wii's to whatever else the 12 year olds want that year.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I've seen 4 people walk out with Wii U's this morning. They are easily available. These people are derpy if they think someone will pay that much for one.

Yeah the time to sell was right when gamestop announced pre orders were sold out. Glad I sold my slips then for about 250 profit per slip instead of buying the system and making barely anything this week.

orznge

Banned
I just tried to return a few Wii U's to a store and they shoved me out the door, telling me "do not ever come back here motherfucker, you are the scum of the earth."

kyo27

The opposite has been true since forever. I suppose it's possible that demand would be highest before Thanksgiving, but most people havent' even started holiday shopping yet. It's once they realize that they cant' walk into a store and buy one that prices start to go crazy. It's the same with all holiday hot items, from Elmo to Wii's to whatever else the 12 year olds want that year.

Really? Remember the PS3?

Akkad

Banned
I recently sold a couple of items on ebay for $81, after ebay and paypal took their cut I was down to about $70 before shipping, the fees are fucking bullshit.

You're going to say there's a 0% chance of someone getting screwed over? Whether they get stuck with a console or end up loosing money...

Okay.

If stuck with the console return it to the store. Can't lose money if you start the auction price with the amount you have into the unit. You at least break even. Of course there are stupid people out there but a fool and his money...

I recently sold a couple of items on ebay for $81, after ebay and paypal took their cut I was down to about $70 before shipping, the fees are fucking bullshit.

About 8%. Same as like something like Coinstar.

Really? Remember the PS3?

There is an exception to every rule.

Top Bottom