• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U: firmware update available (5.5.0, RIP Nintendo TVii)

Vash63

Why? It's totally unrelated to TVii and on top of that it functions well.

It does? I could never get it to work with my Yamaha receiver. My HTC phone with the blaster works fine for both my receiver and TV though. Pretty useless that it can turn on my TV when it can't set my receiver's inputs or turn it on.

CLEEK

I understand that.

I'm not saying it makes a great full-time replacement for a TV remote, just that mentioning its battery life when gaming as if that applies is dumb

What are you on about? The TV button is to turn the Gamepad into a TV remote control replacement. It's not just for switching inputs. You have control over channels, volume and access to the EPG to view channel listings. All things at that done better with you actual TV remote control. And if you did use your Gamepad as a TV remote, the battery would be dead after a few hours of telly watching.

Madao

the TV button is completely useless for me since i use my receiver's remote to control my stuff.

the whole TVii thing has been the biggest waste of time since the News and Forecasts channels on the original Wii. i wish they did a system update that removed those useless channels for the Wii back in the day.

the TV button is completely useless for me since i use my receiver's remote to control my stuff.

the whole TVii thing has been the biggest waste of time since the News and Forecasts channels on the original Wii. i wish they did a system update that removed those useless channels for the Wii back in the day.

I agree completely. What a waste of time - let us have the ability to delete channels that we don't want/use.

More stability is fine with me but no features in almost a year? Really seems like Nintendo is content with how the Wii U is until NX.

cacildo

I wish they used this update to fix the web browser

Really, the web browser is almost dead. Ita hard to load anything in full. Youtube videos are hard to start playing, twitter links dont work for more than a year...

And it used to be lovely

Does it remove the TV button from my Wii U Gamepad as well?

The tv button is wonderful. Im always losing my remote, the tv button is always saving me

Salbug

Yup, and there it goes. It was a nice concept, but obviously flawed execution. At least now I won't have to look at a useless icon anymore.

eWr5nPG.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Honestly always thought it was related to TVii only.

Hilarious. My TV remote does the same thing.

Love my Wii U but some of this stuff just made no sense to me.

It's the feature that gets the most use out of our Game Pad. Can't find / reach the remote, turn on the TV with the pad.

Sure, they could have made it so those channels could be deleted by users, but a mass update for everyone? I'd rather it be optional.

Aroll

Honestly always thought it was related to TVii only.

Hilarious. My TV remote does the same thing.

Love my Wii U but some of this stuff just made no sense to me.

Sure, the idea was, if you're holding the GamePad, you don't need to pick up the remote to do that stuff. Less stuff in my hands to perform basic functions = a win. Even if you don't use it.

CLEEK

still waiting for HDMI CEC

Might not be possible. It requires the WiiU to have full hardware comparability with the required HDMI spec, and for the pin carrying the CEC channel to be active. For example, the original PS3 didn't support CEC, but the first Slim revision tweaked the HDMI hardware so that CEC would work.

Both XB1 and WiiU went to IR blaster tech to control TVs, so I'd imagine they cheap'd out to saved a few cents and don't have hardware support for HDMI-CEC.

HDMI-CEC is wonderful. My TV remote is a fully functional universal remote, able to operate TV, AVR, STB and BD player. It can even operate the PS3, navigating menus etc.

bumpkin

Yup, and there it goes. It was a nice concept, but obviously flawed execution. At least now I won't have to look at a useless icon anymore.
Yeah, it never had anything whatsoever to do with NHL hockey. I don't give a flying crap about MLB, NBA or NFL. :)

The RAM is to hold the Web Browser. Six full tabs take up a lot of ram in a WebKit browser.

The slowness of the OS is just in opening and closing apps: the friends list is an app, so is miiverse, etc. each one seems to take up to 5 seconds to open. Considering the relative hardware and the fact that it's not much slower than the Xbox One OS which runs on much more powerful hardware, I'm not sure there's too much room left for improvement unless they abandoned the app paradigm.
Not to mention how painfully slow the OS was originally as well.

AgeEighty

I loved the way TVii allowed you to search for a movie or TV show by title, and then it would show you where you could watch that title--on cable or streaming services--and gave you links to either launch the apps straight to that title or switch over to cable and change the channel for you.

It's a great inversion of the usual formula for finding content to watch and it makes a hell of a lot more sense. I'm disappointed not only that TVii was so sluggish and unused, but also that no other set top box has emulated this formula and done it better.

evanmisha

What are you on about? The TV button is to turn the Gamepad into a TV remote control replacement. It's not just for switching inputs. You have control over channels, volume and access to the EPG to view channel listings. All things at that done better with you actual TV remote control. And if you did use your Gamepad as a TV remote, the battery would be dead after a few hours of telly watching.

Press the TV button, turn on the TV, change the channel, adjust the volume, then press the TV button again. I can't imagine why you'd just keep it in remote mode for 5 hours. Yeah, that would kill the battery.

EDIT: Did you quote the wrong person? I never mentioned anything about changing inputs vs other remote functionality.

I loved the way TVii allowed you to search for a movie or TV show by title, and then it would show you where you could watch that title--on cable or streaming services--and gave you links to either launch the apps straight to that title or switch over to cable and change the channel for you.

It's a great inversion of the usual formula for finding content to watch and it makes a hell of a lot more sense. I'm disappointed not only that TVii was so sluggish and unused, but also that no other set top box has emulated this formula and done it better.

The search function was a super awesome idea and just about the only worthwhile feature the app had. Way too fucking slow for me to ever bother with it though, and the fact that Netflix never updated their app on Wii U with profile support made it pretty useless to me anyway. Plus all the damn crashing. Hopefully someone else builds a similar feature into something more useable. You'd think Xbox One would have something as simple and straightforward by now, but no.

Reallink

The RAM is to hold the Web Browser. Six full tabs take up a lot of ram in a WebKit browser.

The slowness of the OS is just in opening and closing apps: the friends list is an app, so is miiverse, etc. each one seems to take up to 5 seconds to open. Considering the relative hardware and the fact that it's not much slower than the Xbox One OS which runs on much more powerful hardware, I'm not sure there's too much room left for improvement unless they abandoned the app paradigm.

That's hard to believe to be honest. It doesn't make logical sense to quarter off that much memory (a full 50% of the total pool) for a tertiary feature like web browsing a probable majority of users have never touched. Given the relative simplicity of the OS and core apps (consider what PS360 crammed into 30-50-some-odd MB), that isn't really an excuse for why the core functionality/apps aren't always loaded into RAM launching 5-10x faster than they do.

The TV button is nice. Change inputs, adjust volume, turn the TV on/off... all that stuff is awesome for a lazy person like me.

The TVii feature, the one that was like a slow ass cable box, was worthless.

Grylvak

Sad to see you go, Tvii. I never really used you, but you won't be forgotten.

At least the icon's look nicely spaced.

2xesgdCl.png

Pokemaniac

That's hard to believe to be honest. It doesn't make logical sense to quarter off that much memory (a full 50% of the total pool) for a tertiary feature like web browsing a probable majority of users have never touched. Given the relative simplicity of the OS and core apps (consider what PS360 crammed into 30-50-some-odd MB), that isn't really an excuse for why the core functionality/apps aren't always loaded into RAM launching 5-10x faster than they do.

The RAM allocation isn't only for browsing the Internet. Apps like Miiverse and the eShop (which are both web apps) also run using that RAM.

The main failing of the Wii U OS design is really having the home menu and Wii U menu be two separate things. If they were combined into one thing, like on 3DS, the whole user experience could be a bunch smoother.

Top Bottom