• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2013

69wpm

oops :X I mean I already have the game and the WiiU

but looking at the amount of praises it has received, it's the perfect time to move some units with the game

Sure, but you shouldn't bundle a new game, you'd loose sales. They'll bundle the game in a year or so to boost the sales when it doesn't sell that much anymore. I know Sony bundled Knack and other games with the PS4 but it's not a smart idea in my opinion. It's great to brag about your sales, for the long term it's not that good.

Glass Joe

oops :X I mean I already have the game and the WiiU

but looking at the amount of praises it has received, it's the perfect time to move some units with the game

Isn't Nintendo still losing money with each console sold? They can't just ignore the $60 they'll get from a large amount of Wii U gamers. Maybe next holiday, when Mario Kart and Smash will be the hot $60 games.

Riki

I like the idea of nintendo publishing 3rd party games....

And looks like they're paying for the "hardcore content" they missed on the wii days

But i wish nintendo itself took a shot at this, trying some action games for a change. I cant enjoy Xbox/Ps shooters because they are terrible, but maybe nintendo is the one to fix em

I don't really agree that Nintendo should be making these games themselves.
They have no real history of big action games. And why should they divert resources from making games we all know will be amazing and that no one else really makes?
Hiring outside developers to make games like Zelda Musou and Bayo 2 while EAD works their magic is a perfect combination.

jmizzal

Rumour: a French games journalist from the Gameblog website tweeted today from Japan, where he currently is, about an unannounced 2014 Wii U third party exclusive he's aware of:

156438image.jpg

He seems pretty excited.

Devils third could be it
That does fit the Bayo thing, mature action game in limbo, Nintendo sweeps in a publishes it

Liamc723

When do you guys think we should expect the Zelda for Wii U to be released? It's the main reason I'm keeping the console and I really don't know if I want to hold onto it much longer if it'll just become a paper weight until one game comes out.

maxcriden

When do you guys think we should expect the Zelda for Wii U to be released? It's the main reason I'm keeping the console and I really don't know if I want to hold onto it much longer if it'll just become a paper weight until one game comes out.

I would expect early 2015 for the mainline Zelda and late next year for Hyrule Warriors. There aren't any other Wii U games you like?

Phamit

Could be November 2014 or spring 2015. When it doesnt show up on e3 late 2015

Liamc723

I would expect early 2015 for the mainline Zelda and late next year for Hyrule Warriors. There aren't any other Wii U games you like?

I liked Wind Waker HD and I want to play Super Mario 3D World, but there isn't anything in 2014 that I'm really looking forward to. I can't fully utilize Mario Kart and Smash Brothers when they come out because I don't have a group of friends that are into video games, a shame really.

maxcriden

I liked Wind Waker HD and I want to play Super Mario 3D World, but there isn't anything in 2014 that I'm really looking forward to. I can't fully utilize Mario Kart and Smash Brothers when they come out because I don't have a group of friends that are into video games, a shame really.

Might I suggest-

Nintendo Land
NSMBU/NSLU
Lego City Undercover
Pikmin 3
The Cave (eShop)
Kung Fu Rabbit (eShop)
NES Remix (eShop)
Bit.Trip Runner 2 (eShop)
The entire epic library of Wii games

ETA: MK8 and SSB will have online play though, right? So that's something.

Liamc723

Might I suggest-

Nintendo Land
NSMBU/NSLU
Lego City Undercover
Pikmin 3
The Cave (eShop)
Kung Fu Rabbit (eShop)
NES Remix (eShop)
Bit.Trip Runner 2 (eShop)
The entire epic library of Wii games

ETA: MK8 and SSB will have online play though, right? So that's something.

I've got NSMBU, Lego City Undercover, Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 to play as well, but beyond them, I don't see much apart from Zelda. I guess there is the online play, I'll think about it.

I liked Wind Waker HD and I want to play Super Mario 3D World, but there isn't anything in 2014 that I'm really looking forward to.I can't fully utilize Mario Kart and Smash Brothers when they come out because I don't have a group of friends that are into video games, a shame really.

You are on GAF though. Playing online with some fellow GAFers can be pretty good. Had a blast with Mario Kart 7 for example.

Hiltz

Fall 2015 for Zelda on Wii U is my guess since they take around 3 years to make. It will probably be out along with Animal Crossing as the holiday titles.

maxcriden

I've got NSMBU, Lego City Undercover, Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 to play as well, but beyond them, I don't see much apart from Zelda. I guess there is the online play, I'll think about it.

Cool, man. There is a lot of good VC, eShop and Wii stuff to check out as well. NSLU is great too.

I could see the game being Devil's Third. Itigaki was interested in putting the game on the system about a year or so ago. It would be a step in the right direction for Nintendo, I think.

Riki

I could see the game being Devil's Third. Itigaki was interested in putting the game on the system about a year or so ago. It would be a step in the right direction for Nintendo, I think.

I can see Nintendo picking up a lot of these kinds of titles to fill out their lineup.
The small studios that don't really have a home. Especially Japanese ones.
WiiU to become a niche gamer's paradise. I love it.

I can see Nintendo picking up a lot of these kinds of titles to fill out their lineup.
The small studios that don't really have a home. Especially Japanese ones.
WiiU to become a niche gamer's paradise. I love it.

I thought Devils third was being released on 360 and ps3 though? Am hoping this is a more established series elusive. Hopefully Nintendo resurrected lucas art's dead tie fighter wii u game.

Riki

I thought Devils third was being released on 360 and ps3 though? Am hoping this is a more established series elusive. Hopefully Nintendo resurrected lucas art's dead tie fighter wii u game.

When THQ had Devil's Third, it was a multiplatform game, yes.
As of right now, the fate of the game is rather unknown (other than it's still being worked on).
They need a publisher, and if Nintendo picked it up, it would be a pretty big score for them.
Not saying that's the case, mind you.
There's really no telling what Nintendo's plans with third party relationships is. But they've been making odd moves lately.

Pachimari

Does New Super Mario Bros. U (without the Luigi expansion) have any longevity to it?

I have a GameStop giftcard I got for Christmas which I'm thinking of using today and I were contemplating on either Fire Emblem: Awakening or A Link Between Worlds, but is now thinking if I should use it on a Wii U game.

The thing is, that I'm not gonna get a single game in 2014 (besides Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros, when I inevitably gets more gift cards), so it's should probably also be a game that can last me a while.

Pikmin 3 will probably be too short and can be picked up for half the price, and I already got Super Mario 3D World. Maybe NSMB or Wind Waker HD..

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Does New Super Mario Bros. U (without the Luigi expansion) have any longevity to it?

I have a GameStop giftcard I got for Christmas which I'm thinking of using today and I were contemplating on either Fire Emblem: Awakening or A Link Between Worlds, but is now thinking if I should use it on a Wii U game.

The thing is, that I'm not gonna get a single game in 2014 (besides Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros, when I inevitably gets more gift cards), so it's should probably also be a game that can last me a while.

Pikmin 3 will probably be too short and can be picked up for half the price, and I already got Super Mario 3D World. Maybe NSMB or Wind Waker HD..

I think i got about 14 hours out of NSMBU, collecting of the star coins or whatever they were. FWIW, the game was excellent, and a huge step up from the other NSMB games.

But yo. If you were choosing between NSMBU and FE: A or ALBW... holy shit. Don't even consider this. Go buy one of those two.

Timeaisis

Cry On is my personal pick as it was like the 3rd 360 JRPG by Mistwalker, and somehow MS had no involvement, it was AQ Interactive who published it and decided to cancel the game.

And with The Last Story, Nintendo has a close relationship and after all the Wii U talk...

It's my fav game for them to revive and I think it has an honest chance of happening, now whether it will, that's the question.

Not to confuse with that I am certain that's the big tease, it's just I WANT it to be Cry On, it could be anything.

I thought it was supposed to be an action game, though? Although I guess Cry On was never confirmed to be an RPG...I just assumed it was.

I doubt it. But if it were, why I think I'd Cry.
On.

nordique

Any Wii U Basic owners who can comment what its like owning the system currently, in 2013 with all the updates (free space-wise)?

I am debating getting a new Wii U for my family, since I want to take my old one back with me after my school break is over.

Right now in Canada, we have the skylanders bundle for 220$ and family mainly uses the Wii U for netflix and a game or two.

Just wondering what the free space situation is like, and how that works if one gets a portable hard drive

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Any Wii U Basic owners who can comment what its like owning the system currently, in 2013 with all the updates (free space-wise)?

I am debating getting a new Wii U for my family, since I want to take my old one back with me after my school break is over.

Right now in Canada, we have the skylanders bundle for 220$ and family mainly uses the Wii U for netflix and a game or two.

Just wondering what the free space situation is like, and how that works if one gets a portable hard drive

Honestly I've filled mine up with save files, system updates, dlc, and crap but I've just got a 16gb USB thumbdrive plugged in the back and it isn't even a big deal. I've got Wii Fit U and SM3dw and some eshop and VC content on the thumb drive and still have like at least 5gb left.

I've still got like 400mb left on my actual unit and I save that space just for crap I don't want to lose if my thumb drive were to happen to die.

If your family intends to do a bunch of downloading I'd just toss a cheapo 8 or 16gb USB stick in the back and you'll be fine. There isn't a ton of content out there to download unless they want to get retail titles digitally, and Nintendo is great at making "small" games. 3d World was like 1.65Gb for Pete's sake.

If they're just going to buy retail games and use storage for saved games and system updates I'm sure the basic will serve them in good stead. If Nintendo starts pumping out a ton of huge updates for some weird reason just tell them to buy a cheapo thumb drive and they'll be good for YEARS.

So we have Monolith's X coming next year, but what of the other two of the Rainfall devs?

Mistwalker expressed interest in making an action-RPG for WiiU Summer 2012 and Ganbarion also expressed interest in making a title for WiiU w/ an emphasis on online connectivity back in April, they were also just credited for helping on WiiFit U so we know Nintendo has kept them close. You think we'll get announcements from them sometime this year?

nordique

Honestly I've filled mine up with save files, system updates, dlc, and crap but I've just got a 16gb USB thumbdrive plugged in the back and it isn't even a big deal. I've got Wii Fit U and SM3dw and some eshop and VC content on the thumb drive and still have like at least 5gb left.

I've still got like 400mb left on my actual unit and I save that space just for crap I don't want to lose if my thumb drive were to happen to die.

If your family intends to do a bunch of downloading I'd just toss a cheapo 8 or 16gb USB stick in the back and you'll be fine. There isn't a ton of content out there to download unless they want to get retail titles digitally, and Nintendo is great at making "small" games. 3d World was like 1.65Gb for Pete's sake.

If they're just going to buy retail games and use storage for saved games and system updates I'm sure the basic will serve them in good stead. If Nintendo starts pumping out a ton of huge updates for some weird reason just tell them to buy a cheapo thumb drive and they'll be good for YEARS.

Excellent Horseticuffs, this is a ton of helpful information.

Thank You :) Merci Beaucoup.

Horseticuffs

Excellent Horseticuffs, this is a ton of helpful information.

Thank You :) Merci Beaucoup.

My pleasure to help! On pretty much any other system this level of storage would be awful, just awful. However, between Nintendo not getting third-party content, not having a media marketplace, and knowing how get an awesome rate of fun per kilobyte 8gb should cover a family of casual players quite well for some time.

Dumb question, but what exactly would a media marketplace entail? Nintendo has the eshop, and I assume there's ways to buy DLC on the system?

Horseticuffs

Dumb question, but what exactly would a media marketplace entail? Nintendo has the eshop, and I assume there's ways to buy DLC on the system?

When I say that I mean a place to buy music and movies, essentially. Pretty much all they have is streaming options such as Netflix and Amazon. Not a big deal as I, myself, subscribe to Netflix but they have a limited selection and must wait very long for titles whereas a proper media marketplace would have films available as soon as they were able to be rented and have downloading be an option.

There are games with DLC, as I've bought several pieces for TANK! TANK! TANK! and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate has it as well (Though that may be hidden on the disc).

Also it pays to remember that for Wii U installing games isn't an option and that's where most of people's hdd space goes to nowadays, I'd imagine.

Top Bottom