• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

ozfunghi

It's sad to see this thread will see little to no upcoming 3rd party retail games anymore. What games are even still coming besides Watch Dogs, Project Cars (both delayed), Sonic Boom, Skylanders and Disney? I mean that isn't funded by Nintendo.

Nintendo has to try to break this neverending cycle they appear to be stuck in. In order to remedy this (lack of 3rd party (multiplatofrm) games) situation, they have to deal with two things: A/ Make sure the userbase that plays these sorts games is represented on their platform. B/ Make sure people have a reason to prefer this version over those of competitors. In order to do that, they need to "lure" this userbase to their platform with (for them) interesting exclusives. The question then will be, are off-tv play and pointer controls good enough for the "mainstream" COD audience to prefer it over superior graphics? I doubt it, so this will be someting to keep in mind going forward. As long as they can't pull that off, i feel they should take matters into their own hands and dedicate a few small (but competent) internal teams to porting over these franchises like RE, COD, AC so that these fanbases can grow on their platform, among gamers that weren't "into" those games earlier. You can't just "drop" Mass Effect 3 on this platform and expect people who never played the first games to start buying into the series, hitting the ground running.

Sounds like we're saying the exact same thing just in different ways.

But anyways, right NOW because of the html5 support in the browser the Wii U can handle mp4 (if the codes are correct) of the bat.

What I hope the Media Player for Wii U (if it comes) will do is make it possible to play avi, mkv, mp4 that uses different codecs, without the need of something like plex or playon running on the computer to feed the video to the Wii U, because all the Media Player needs is have read access of a folder on the PC/MAC/Linux computer really to make that happen.

That would be ideal, and the only limiting factor would be the speed of your network. But surely that should be at the very least, a couple of MB/s.

It's sad to see this thread will see little to no upcoming 3rd party retail games anymore. What games are even still coming besides Watch Dogs, Project Cars (both delayed), Sonic Boom, Skylanders and Disney? I mean that isn't funded by Nintendo.

Nintendo has to try to break this neverending cycle they appear to be stuck in. In order to remedy this (lack of 3rd party (multiplatofrm) games) situation, they have to deal with two things: A/ Make sure the userbase that plays these sorts games is represented on their platform. B/ Make sure people have a reason to prefer this version over those of competitors. In order to do that, they need to "lure" this userbase to their platform with (for them) interesting exclusives. The question then will be, are off-tv play and pointer controls good enough for the "mainstream" COD audience to prefer it over superior graphics? I doubt it, so this will be someting to keep in mind going forward. As long as they can't pull that off, i feel they should take matters into their own hands and dedicate a few small (but competent) internal teams to porting over these franchises like RE, COD, AC so that these fanbases can grow on their platform, among gamers that weren't "into" those games earlier. You can't just "drop" Mass Effect 3 on this platform and expect people who never played the first games to start buying into the series, hitting the ground running.

That would be ideal, and the only limiting factor would be the speed of your network. But surely that should be at the very least, a couple of MB/s.

They need to fund western studios that deal with these type of games, so that they can start building a base for these types of games, then 3rd parties will come.

prag16

Banned
They need to fund western studios that deal with these type of games, so that they can start building a base for these types of games, then 3rd parties will come.
Yep. They really need two or three more Retro Studios type devs. And they need them yesterday (or better yet, in 2010).

HF2014

Just wondering guys if you guys could have some good recommendation about Wii games to get (not wii u). Kinda realize i can play wii games on it, and never really experience the wii system when it was release. Kids got the wii but got some mario and generic games, but im wondering of you guys got some hidden gems you find in the lifetime of the wii. Some titles im looking forward to get atm are:

- Endless Ocean
- Deadly Creatures
- Calling
- MLB Power Pros 2008 ( dont ask, i got a thing for cute baseball anime like games... )
- Fishing Resort.

So which not really knowned titles have you really enjoy??

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Just wondering guys if you guys could have some good recommendation about Wii games to get (not wii u). Kinda realize i can play wii games on it, and never really experience the wii system when it was release. Kids got the wii but got some mario and generic games, but im wondering of you guys got some hidden gems you find in the lifetime of the wii. Some titles im looking forward to get atm are:

- Endless Ocean
- Deadly Creatures
- Calling
- MLB Power Pros 2008 ( dont ask, i got a thing for cute baseball anime like games... )
- Fishing Resort.

If you ever get your hands on some Wii Points, download Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A King. Also, Art Style: Light Trax.

Wait, is the Wii shop still up?

Vecks

- Endless Ocean
- Deadly Creatures
- Calling
- Fishing Resort.

Some lesser known that I really enjoyed:
Trauma Team
Rune Factory: Frontier
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Zack & Wiki
Sin & Punishment
Excitebots
Sakura Wars (PS2 version better for dual VO, but pretty much same game)

These I enjoyed, but I wouldn't say they are that great:
Dawn of Discovery - very different from other versions of the game, also simpler
The Munchables
Order Up!

Yagami_Sama

If you ever get your hands on some Wii Points, download Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A King. Also, Art Style: Light Trax.

Wait, is the Wii shop still up?

Yes, WiiWare still up and running.

I accessed it yesterday, and bought some DLC for Mega Man 10.

jholmes

Some lesser known that I really enjoyed:
Trauma Team
Rune Factory: Frontier
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Zack & Wiki
Sin & Punishment
Excitebots
Sakura Wars (PS2 version better for dual VO, but pretty much same game)

These I enjoyed, but I wouldn't say they are that great:
Dawn of Discovery - very different from other versions of the game, also simpler
The Munchables
Order Up!

This is a good list, although I haven't played all the games and I didn't like Excitebots. Sin & Punishment, Trauma Team and Sakura Wars are all great. Dawn of Discovery might also be worth a look.

And to name another game to check out... how about Ghost Squad? If you can find it for something like $5 and like light gun games, you're in for an afternoon of corny fun.

maxcriden

- Endless Ocean
- Deadly Creatures
- Calling
- Fishing Resort.

Here's a great thread for you to check out:

Why your Wii doesn't have to be dusty

I'll put in a strong recommendation for A Boy and His Blob. It's a charming game filled with creative and tricky puzzles and offers plenty of content, especially if you're going for 100%. Plus, it has a hug button!

BoyAndHisBlob.gif

Pachimari

It took me some days but I have made up my mind.

I'm going with Mario Kart 8 today, after seeing the DLC announcement today.

And then I'm still thinking about getting either The Wind Waker HD or Pikmin 3. I'll probably go with Zelda, as its price is quite low (the same as Pikmin) to normal price.

DizzyCrow

It took me some days but I have made up my mind.

I'm going with Mario Kart 8 today, after seeing the DLC announcement today.

And then I'm still thinking about getting either The Wind Waker HD or Pikmin 3. I'll probably go with Zelda, as its price is quite low (the same as Pikmin) to normal price.
The free game promotion is over.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So looks like for me for the rest of the year Wii U wise I'll be grabbing Smash + Bayo 2 + Kart DLC + Amiibos. Then I'll grab whatever else I find interesting on the eShop. Gonna pass on Hyrule Warriors for now and I'm gonna get Smash on 3ds x 2 so my boy child and I can play together.

Still need to finish Shovel Knight, and I caved on Guac Super Turbo over the weekend as well. Plus I still haven't really played Pikmin 3 that I got from the MK8 promo. Got back in MH3U cause some of my other GAFer friends just got on board. Played last weekend with fellow poster Remy Zero. Plus I am readdicted to Nano Assault Neo.

Can I rant how I still hate how I can't take screens in MH3U? Still annoys the shit out of me.

On a side note I started a free wordpress blog where I've just been uploading a bunch of Wii U screenshots I take as I play stuff if anyone wants to check it out.

My Nintendo Wii U Pics Blog!

Pachimari

I think I'm gonna get Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, New Super Mario Bros, Bayo 2 and Smash Bros for the rest of the year. Then Toad, Yoshi, Xenoblade X and Splatoon next year.

What a seriously strong line-up.

I haven't even gotten Wii Fit U or even tried out Mother 2 yet!

So looks like for me for the rest of the year Wii U wise I'll be grabbing Smash + Bayo 2 + Kart DLC + Amiibos. Then I'll grab whatever else I find interesting on the eShop. Gonna pass on Hyrule Warriors for now and I'm gonna get Smash on 3ds x 2 so my boy child and I can play together.

Still need to finish Shovel Knight, and I caved on Guac Super Turbo over the weekend as well. Plus I still haven't really played Pikmin 3 that I got from the MK8 promo. Got back in MH3U cause some of my other GAFer friends just got on board. Played last weekend with fellow poster Remy Zero. Plus I am readdicted to Nano Assault Neo.

Can I rant how I still hate how I can't take screens in MH3U? Still annoys the shit out of me.

On a side note I started a free wordpress blog where I've just been uploading a bunch of Wii U screenshots I take as I play stuff if anyone wants to check it out.

My Nintendo Wii U Pics Blog!

Oh man this is legit. Those shots are sex!

Vanillalite

Thanks for sharing.

No problem!

It's easy since you can screencap direct feed screens and upload then to abload. Just wish I could take MH3U screens. Plus never can take Kart screens cause I'm always to busy playing online. Guess I could go back and cap the vids, but I always forget too! LoL

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
After seeing the PS4 1080p footage of Project C.A.R.S. I'm afraid the Wii U version will be an unplayable mess. Ugly blur, boring environment, strange raindrops behavior, several steps behind the PC version.

Vanillalite

After seeing the PS4 1080p footage of Project C.A.R.S. I'm afraid the Wii U version will be an unplayable mess. Ugly blur, boring environment, strange raindrops behavior, several steps behind the PC version.

I doubt it'll be that bad, and shooting for 720p helps immensely. That being said keep expectation in check. Don't expect a master piece at least in terms of performance. Is what it is, but everyone who wasn't lying to themselves had to know it would be several steps behind the PC version.

PS: Adding more screens to my blog roll today. Thanks for all the views GAF!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm not out of touch, I know what to expect from Wii U games, but I was surprised but that footage for PS4. I know that PS4 is practically an average PC, but the gap look more than that. That's why I'm afraid about the Wii U version of which we haven't seen anything yet, not even a screenshot.

Riki

So the WiiU kiosks are being updated with playable Hyrule Warriors and a trailer for Bayonetta 2.
I'm actually surprised Bayo2 got a kiosk trailer. ZombiU and even Darksiders 2 only got pictures.

Vanillalite

So the WiiU kiosks are being updated with playable Hyrule Warriors and a trailer for Bayonetta 2.
I'm actually surprised Bayo2 got a kiosk trailer. ZombiU and even Darksiders 2 only got pictures.

Wish we had a Bayo 2 demo vs just a trailer! :p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Where? Gamestop or also other retail chains?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
can someone posts some impressions on Resident Evil Revelations?
How is the double screen managed? Is it good? How is the offtv switch? On the fly? Is there any additional contents cmpared to the 3DS versions?

Which game is worth buying more? I'm leaning towards either Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Super Mario 3D World. I really enjoyed the DK games on SNES (even if they were hard as hell lol) and super mario 3d world has gotten a lot of great reviews from what i've heard and I wanted to try it out though I haven't decided which one to get yet.

Which game is worth buying more? I'm leaning towards either Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Super Mario 3D World. I really enjoyed the DK games on SNES (even if they were hard as hell lol) and super mario 3d world has gotten a lot of great reviews from what i've heard and I wanted to try it out though I haven't decided which one to get yet.

I'd go for DK. It's my favorite platformer! Great level design, great music and it's quite a challenge especially the K-levels.

3D World is great nevertheless especially if you want to play local multiplayer.

Zalman

You can't go wrong with any of them. As long as you eventually get both, you're all good. ;)

ozfunghi

can someone posts some impressions on Resident Evil Revelations?
How is the double screen managed? Is it good? How is the offtv switch? On the fly? Is there any additional contents cmpared to the 3DS versions?

Did you play the demo? I'm guessing a couple of your questions will be answered by playing it. I did and didn't like the controls (compared to the 3DS game).

Vanillalite

10/24 works for me! Can't wait to play around Halloween time! Will do a full Bayo 1 run before Bayo 2. Also will try and take many screenshots for try site. :p

jmizzal

I wonder if Watch Dogs WiiU will come out Nov 11th same day as AC Unit and AC Rouge

That would give Ubisoft a game on each console on that day Xbox one, PS4, PC, 360, PS3 and WiiU

OmegaDL50

I cannot wait for Zelda U and Xenoblade X.

Smash Bros. U and Splatoon look interesting. I'll also probably get Starfox if it turns out to be a Space Shooter like the original SNES game.

So I'm in a huge jam. I have had a PS4 white Destiny bundle pre-ordered for two months and have been anxiously awaiting September 9th. I'm interested in Destiny, COD AW, and Far Cry 4 but none of them are must own games for me, but Im still interested. The game that I will get a PS4 for no matter what is Arkham Knight. So this has been my plan until this past month I have been obsessed with the new 2d platforming games and have especially fallen in love with Donkey Kong Returns. With that said, Tropical Freeze is really calling my name. Besides that, Mario 3D World and Mario Kart are the only other Wii U games that I am interested in.

Problem is I can only get one console, either get Wii U and beg the wife for a PS4 next year when arkham knight comes out or get ps4 and beg the wife to let me get Wii U when new Zelda U comes out. With those two benchmarks, knowing the upcoming libraries of each console, what should I choose?? Played Tropical Freeze demo for an hour at gamestop because I can't make up my mind. Help me Gaf!! Tip the scales!! What should I get (I wish Destiny reviews were out to help my decision...)?

Top Bottom