• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Roo

So I'm in a huge jam. I have had a PS4 white Destiny bundle pre-ordered for two months and have been anxiously awaiting September 9th. I'm interested in Destiny, COD AW, and Far Cry 4 but none of them are must own games for me, but Im still interested. The game that I will get a PS4 for no matter what is Arkham Knight. So this has been my plan until this past month I have been obsessed with the new 2d platforming games and have especially fallen in love with Donkey Kong Returns. With that said, Tropical Freeze is really calling my name. Besides that, Mario 3D World and Mario Kart are the only other Wii U games that I am interested in.

Problem is I can only get one console, either get Wii U and beg the wife for a PS4 next year when arkham knight comes out or get ps4 and beg the wife to let me get Wii U when new Zelda U comes out. With those two benchmarks, knowing the upcoming libraries of each console, what should I choose?? Played Tropical Freeze demo for an hour at gamestop because I can't make up my mind. Help me Gaf!! Tip the scales!! What should I get (I wish Destiny reviews were out to help my decision...)?
Why would you beg your wife to let you get a Wii U/PS4? If you're the one who brings money home then, it's up to you not her.

Anyway, answering your question I think you should make a list and prioritize what you like most, third party games or Nintendo exclusives. Sadly you can't get both in the same machine so go for the one with more content that really appeals to you.

Why would you beg your wife to let you get a Wii U/PS4? If you're the one who brings money home then, it's up to you not her.

Anyway, answering your question I think you should make a list and prioritize what you like most, third party games or Nintendo exclusives. Sadly you can't get both in the same machine so go for the one with more content that really appeals to you.

We have a budget and its hard to justify both... And to your answer, that's what I've been doing and I'm stuck. If it wasn't for darn Tropical Freeze. I'm kinda mad Gaf is so hyped on it because it is making me want to do irrational things to get it...

Shizuka

So I'm in a huge jam. I have had a PS4 white Destiny bundle pre-ordered for two months and have been anxiously awaiting September 9th. I'm interested in Destiny, COD AW, and Far Cry 4 but none of them are must own games for me, but Im still interested. The game that I will get a PS4 for no matter what is Arkham Knight. So this has been my plan until this past month I have been obsessed with the new 2d platforming games and have especially fallen in love with Donkey Kong Returns. With that said, Tropical Freeze is really calling my name. Besides that, Mario 3D World and Mario Kart are the only other Wii U games that I am interested in.

Problem is I can only get one console, either get Wii U and beg the wife for a PS4 next year when arkham knight comes out or get ps4 and beg the wife to let me get Wii U when new Zelda U comes out. With those two benchmarks, knowing the upcoming libraries of each console, what should I choose?? Played Tropical Freeze demo for an hour at gamestop because I can't make up my mind. Help me Gaf!! Tip the scales!! What should I get (I wish Destiny reviews were out to help my decision...)?

Get a PS4.

daydream

Banned

Now's a perfect time to get a WiiU. You'll have a lot of gems to catch up on (you will warm up to more than just MK8 and 3DW, I'm certain) and lots of amazing stuff to look forward to. Also, TF will probably be your GOTY.

Roo

We have a budget and its hard to justify both... And to your answer, that's what I've been doing and I'm stuck. If it wasn't for darn Tropical Freeze. I'm kinda mad Gaf is so hyped on it because it is making me want to do irrational things to get it...
I see. Sorry, that probably sounded more rude than what I intended.
If that's the case then you should go for a Wii U. It has amazing first party games. Nintendo has been exceptional this gen. Plus is the cheapest console so you still get your gaming fix and save a few bucks for more important things.

Now's a perfect time to get a WiiU. You'll have a lot of gems to catch up on (you will warm up to more than just MK8 and 3DW, I'm certain) and lots of amazing stuff to look forward to. Also, TF will probably be your GOTY.

Ugh, why couldn't PS4 have TF and why couldn't Wii U get some darn 3rd party games. At least one of the 3 shooters coming out this fall. Cruel cruel world...

jholmes

Get a Wii U and by the time you get a PS4 Arkham Knight will be $20 a la Arkham Origins. Problem solved.

jmizzal

WiiU is cheaper and has more must haves right now, go WiiU

WiiU is cheaper and has more must haves right now, go WiiU

I would be trading in tons of stuff to gamestop that would equal about 150... Either toward my PS4 or Wii U. I was literally ready to buy a WII U at gamestop today, went to the store, but best deal they had was wind waker bundle for 300. Not my favorite game ever although I may pick it up in a couple years when I want to replay it... If it was TRopical Freeze bundle, I think I would be playing it right now at home. That and the fact that I want to play destiny (in glorious next gen quality) has me leaning toward PS4. But I still can't decide.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I would be trading in tons of stuff to gamestop that would equal about 150... Either toward my PS4 or Wii U. I was literally ready to buy a WII U at gamestop today, went to the store, but best deal they had was wind waker bundle for 300. Not my favorite game ever although I may pick it up in a couple years when I want to replay it... If it was TRopical Freeze bundle, I think I would be playing it right now at home. That and the fact that I want to play destiny (in glorious next gen quality) has me leaning toward PS4. But I still can't decide.

Well honestly there will be some better Wii U deals coming up this September I think (assuming you're in the US). Mario 3D World + Nintendo Land + Deluxe Wii U + $300. Or the same bundle w/ Mario Kart 8 exclusive to Walmart. Or you could always wait until Black Friday and look for Wii U/PS4 deals then.

daydream

Banned

I think your best bet on the WiiU side is a MK8 bundle. Get TF on top of that and you're set.

Gator86

Definitely get the PS4. The Wii U has some solid games but nowhere near the breadth of variety offered by the PS4 by the end of this holiday and especially early next year. The complete lack of any 3rd party support makes the Wii U an atrocious single console household choice. Just look at the release calendars for the Wii U and the PS4 this holiday and next year. The Wii U is an absolute wasteland by comparison. Wait until Zelda and the Wii U is cheaper. Considering the current pace of Wii U releases, you'll only miss 4 or 5 games between now and then anyway.

Mlatador

Banned
You need to get this game! You can hug the Blob any time you want, plus this very line is in the game:

"You know, Blob, we really are A Boy and His Blob." - A Boy, in A Boy and His Blob

no it isn't. But there is a Hug button!

I'm already on it. Need to find a good price.

There's a $300 MK8 bundle coming to Wal Mart in mid-September. It also includes Nintendoland.

There's also a $300 Super Mario 3D World/Nintendoland bundle releasing around the same time that should be available everywhere.

Link

Thanks for the info. Well at least I have two weeks to decide. That will give me time to see Destiny reviews and make a better informed decision. I would definitely choose Mario 3d World bundle. Why can't I be rich?

ozfunghi

This is really not the topîc for it. Now we get people coming in the WiiU games topic, arguing to buy a PS4.

I highly doubt the PS4 has the same amount of high quality software the Wii U has now with Bayo2 and Smash right around the corner. WiiU is also quite a bit cheaper, and if money is really a concern, check out the reactions in the Refurbished WiiU thread. Lots of people loving their $200 WiiU's. Ask there. Or ask in the WiiU: I'm in LOVE thread.

HF2014

I have the money to buy all next gen console atm. But even if i do, im someone who always take care of where i put my money. Im a Wii U owner, used to be an X1 ( which i sold for a PS4 ), and used to be a PS4 owner, because i sold for the simple reason: not enough game, and games are too generic for my taste.

Its pretty simple, if shooting people in circular map is your thing, well, you will be please with a PS4 with the 3 titles you listed. Maybe because im getting older i dont know, but seeing these shooter over and over and over swallow directly threw my month is starting to make me sick a bit. Reason why the shooter who got my attention for originality this year, well its Splatoon on Wii U.

The console to get imo this year is the Wii U. PS4 will be a sweet console to own maybe in a year or two. I dont regret being only a Wii U owner, and wont support the PS4 until i see about 10 games i really want, which is not the case atm.

But either way, i think in the long run i will have both console. I just feel atm supporting the Wii U cause it offer me something different atm.

But this year? Seriously, Wii U is the way to go.

Pumpkins

Go for a Wii U.

They're a lot cheaper, and they have a better library of games than PS4 and XBO. You'll also find games that you can play with your wife, couch co-op style. If you have a PS3/X360, get Destiny for that if you really want it that bad (the game is the same, you just aren't getting every flashy effect).

Wait for the PS4 to start hitting a stride, in a 1-2 years. The price will go down and you'll have a better catalog of games to choose from.

Definitely get the PS4. The Wii U has some solid games but nowhere near the breadth of variety offered by the PS4 by the end of this holiday and especially early next year. The complete lack of any 3rd party support makes the Wii U an atrocious single console household choice. Just look at the release calendars for the Wii U and the PS4 this holiday and next year. The Wii U is an absolute wasteland by comparison. Wait until Zelda and the Wii U is cheaper. Considering the current pace of Wii U releases, you'll only miss 4 or 5 games between now and then anyway.

The variety on Wii U is surprisingly high. That said, If you're buying a Wii U JUST for third party you'll be disappointed (to a degree... There are exceptions like Platinum and Tecmo Koei) . You buy a Nintendo console for Nintendo games. If you like Nintendo games, the console will be an incredible experience.

Thanks for the info. Well at least I have two weeks to decide. That will give me time to see Destiny reviews and make a better informed decision. I would definitely choose Mario 3d World bundle. Why can't I be rich?

MK3DW is hilariously fun in co-op. I've had moments where I was in near hysterics laughing. It's a good time.

MDX

There are still third party games you can get on the WiiU now like Rayman, another platformer. Back library of the Wii, classic titles from the virtual console, and sorry, but smaller indie developers are still third party developers, and they are providing many cool inexpensive games. So that makes the WiiU's library pretty large and rich.

Also, if you are on a budget, WiiU's online is free and Off-TV play will make your wife happy. Or get the cheaper PS3 and you will get to play many of the PS4 games.

3rd-party WiiU Retail and EShop EU releases for Q4 2014 (source)

wiiu_q42014jrjph.jpg

TheMoon

I'll be pretty surprised if both Star Fox and Zelda make 2015. I want it to happen so badly though.

Why? There's zero development overlap. Star Fox was always mentioned as first half 2015 during E3 so I see absolutely no rational reason to think they won't make their super vague dates.

Sorry if this was wrong place to post my conundrum of wii u vs ps4. But you all convinced me. Have to visit a friend in the hospital, and then stoping by gamestop to pick it up. Gonna do wind waker bundle and then pick up Tropical Freeze and either Mario Kart or super mario 3d world (tough choice). Gonna have to trade in my 3DS but I've beat everythin on it. Thanks for the tips!! I hope I like my wii u cause my 3ds ain't coming back...

Porcile

Why? There's zero development overlap. Star Fox was always mentioned as first half 2015 during E3 so I see absolutely no rational reason to think they won't make their super vague dates.

I'll be disappointed if they shit out Star Fox in a year. The franchise has been through the mire over the last decade. The game looked like it had barely begun development at E3 as well. I want them to give it time so that it can have the space to become a premier franchise again.

TheMoon

I'll be disappointed if they shit out Star Fox in a year. The franchise has been through the mire over the last decade. The game looked like it had barely begun development at E3 as well. I want them to give it time so that it can have the space to become a premier franchise again.

Regardless of what they've shown, they have not just started devving it a week before E3 or something crazy like that. Miyamoto & crew clearly know what this game is going to be already, they just need to put all the things together which is why they're partnering with an outside studio to finish it up. I don't see this as unrealistic. Don't always assume the demo build is the latest thing they have and that they start working on games a week before they announce them.

I could see it become a September-ish game if you factor in one stumble leading to a delay into another quarter.

Sorry if this was wrong place to post my conundrum of wii u vs ps4. But you all convinced me. Have to visit a friend in the hospital, and then stoping by gamestop to pick it up. Gonna do wind waker bundle and then pick up Tropical Freeze and either Mario Kart or super mario 3d world (tough choice). Gonna have to trade in my 3DS but I've beat everythin on it. Thanks for the tips!! I hope I like my wii u cause my 3ds ain't coming back...

Don´t worry I was Wii U only for current gen since launch and it is a great console and DKC TF is a masterpiece, if you love it you are going to squeeze so much time out of it. The game is amazing and then you have time runs, which is almost a game of its own, so much changes and you get to value even more the level design.

I got a PS4 and I am enjoying it, but I bought it because I could, I could do without it at this point. You can get a PS4 next year and enjoy cheaper games and a better library.

maxcriden

Top Bottom