• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2015

jholmes

@Exile20 - That's why I was bringing it up. The Rock Band guys themselves are pretty much asking for public outcry, so I'm curious whether it makes sense to at least let them see the interest and optimistically be proven wrong (or possibly very right).

Ducked ‏@Ducked_ 5h5 hours ago
@Harmonix I would preorder Rock Band on Wii U so fast. Is there still a possibility of us seeing it?
0 replies 0 retweets 0 favorites
Reply Retweet Favorite
More
User Actions
Follow

Harmonix
‏@Harmonix
@Ducked_ We're listening to all the folks asking for it.

Ugh they're treating us like Vita owners. If I bought one of these it'd be Guitar Hero anyway, so I dunno...

TheMoon

Ugh they're treating us like Vita owners. If I bought one of these it'd be Guitar Hero anyway, so I dunno...

Par for the course. Want a Wii U version of any game? Beg for it. And if you don't it's "I guess there's no audience/they don't care enough." Or something of that ilk.

jholmes

Par for the course. Want a Wii U version of any game? Beg for it. And if you don't it's "I guess there's no audience/they don't care enough." Or something of that ilk.

I signed that damn Guilty Gear petition and it's not like anyone cared. Seriously Harmonix if you don't want me buying a living room worth of your plastic crap I won't beg you to let me.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Harmonix should do a kickstarter for the Wii U version, to see if people care. It's not like this would be the first kickstarter for them.

Koppai

I really hope Nintendo gets the stick out of their ass and localizes Fatal Frame 5 for the whole world, really want that game :(

jholmes

Harmonix should do a kickstarter for the Wii U version, to see if people care. It's not like this would be the first kickstarter for them.

That was something of a humbling experience for them so I understand if they aren't lining up to put themselves out there like that again.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

I've been waiting for this! Their job listings have been suggesting that a new game would be releasing this year, but I assumed it was for 3DS—I actually was thinking maybe it would be part of a dual announcement at E3 where 2D Metroid from NLG was coming Holiday 2015 and 3D Metroid was coming 2016 from Retro. However, I guess that's not the case! I'm excited they're making a Wii U game. Personally, I hope it's not Punch-Out!!, as I'd much rather prefer a new Super Mario Strikers. I actually hope it's something I hadn't considered (and not a game we already know about, like Star Fox). Here's to hoping I'll be surprised once E3 rolls around!

prag16

Banned
I see no explicit Wii U confirmation there. The way it's almost mentioned as an aside when talking about immersing himself in Nintendo IPs, it almost makes me think Wii U is NOT what he's working on. Guess we'll probably find out more at E3.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I see no explicit Wii U confirmation there. The way it's almost mentioned as an aside when talking about immersing himself in Nintendo IPs, it almost makes me think Wii U is NOT what he's working on. Guess we'll probably find out more at E3.

You're totally right. 3DS is definitely still a possibility. His phrasing suggests to me that it's a Wii U game, but I also think it's odd for that posting on GoNintendo to be labeled so definitively when it's certainly not that clear.

Alright my friends, I'm calling it now, we get a Direct next week (likely March 11th).

Why?

- Mewtwo DLC codes/submissions are due on the 31st.
- Amiibo leaks of more Smash ones (Greninja and Jigglypuff) and Splatoon.
- 2 months since the last which has been a common gap.
- Feels like the right time for one last one before E3. April is when it gets a tad too close.
- Nothing due for April. Ample time to announce a last minute date for something. Yoshi? Mario Maker? End of April release would work.
- Not a shoe-in, but Tantalus/Straight Right did say they have their Wii U game being announced soon. It's a possible thing that could show here.

If not next week, then before the month ends. But next week just feels near certain, I hope. :( And announce a damn Wii U retail game Nintendo for once!

TheMoon

You're totally right. 3DS is definitely still a possibility. His phrasing suggests to me that it's a Wii U game, but I also think it's odd for that posting on GoNintendo to be labeled so definitively when it's certainly not that clear.

Never fully trust a GoNintendo headline. ^^

I just posted it here cause why not :D

Converse

Banned
I really hope Nintendo gets the stick out of their ass and localizes Fatal Frame 5 for the whole world, really want that game :(

Itagaki seems to think it'll happen. Overall, I think things have been much better this gen on that front. Maybe I'm just on a high that Boxboy and Rodea the Sky Solider with the Wii version just recently got confirmed for the west, but it seems like we're more likely to get niche, Japan-oriented titles than we were last gen (although the titles themselves are less numerous). Fatal Frame seems like the only notable Japanese release we're missing on the Wii U. I mean what else is there? Yakuza 1 & 2 HD, the Taiko Master games and, uh...Romance of the Three Kingdoms 12?

jmizzal

Itagaki seems to think it'll happen. Overall, I think things have been much better this gen on that front. Maybe I'm just on a high that Boxboy and Rodea the Sky Solider with the Wii version just recently got confirmed for the west, but it seems like we're more likely to get niche, Japan-oriented titles than we were last gen (although the titles themselves are less numerous). Fatal Frame seems like the only notable Japanese release we're missing on the Wii U. I mean what else is there? Yakuza 1 & 2 HD, the Taiko Master games and, uh...Romance of the Three Kingdoms 12?

And DQX :(

TheMoon

Good point, good point.

And, yeah, jimi_dini, that would be rad. Are the games already translated? I recall reading that the HD package sold something like 2,000 copies in Japan.

Since Yakuza 1 & 2 came out in the west, they have localizations for them. They just don't want to waste any more cash on it since they are firmly rooted in their belief that Yakuza is a PlayStation franchise because nobody bought their lazy effort of two old games in an unspectacular compilation that released months after the PS3 version. Typical "test game" syndrome.

Pachimari

Man, I don't understand why I have such a hard time with the library, and I absolutely love Nintendo games, especially on the Nintendo 3DS. Super Smash is not getting played because none of my friends are into it, Mario Kart has literally been untouched for months and I haven't even tried out the online yet. I will when I get to buy the LAN adapter!

And then, I have tried to give Super Mario 3D World another chance and hooked it up last night, but World 1 and 2 are just so boring. Like, really boring. But I hear it gets better. What is it, that gets better the more you progress?

Man, I don't understand why I have such a hard time with the library, and I absolutely love Nintendo games, especially on the Nintendo 3DS. Super Smash is not getting played because none of my friends are into it, Mario Kart has literally been untouched for months and I haven't even tried out the online yet. I will when I get to buy the LAN adapter!

And then, I have tried to give Super Mario 3D World another chance and hooked it up last night, but World 1 and 2 are just so boring. Like, really boring. But I hear it gets better. What is it, that gets better the more you progress?
I've been playing it very slowly with my son, so maybe my experience is different, but by the third world things get much more interesting.

Pachimari

I've been playing it very slowly with my son, so maybe my experience is different, but by the third world things get much more interesting.

Is it because of added gameplay mechanics? Level design? Improved platforming, a rise in difficulty? What is it, that makes it better?

Mesoian

Difficulty, new systems, interesting spaces, You gotta remember that the first 6 or so worlds are made for co-op cohesion. Once the game stops that, it's a whole new ballgame.

You should just start playing Mario Kart online, it works well with the Wifi. It's not Smash online.

impact

Banned

It gets better
when you beat the game

The bonus levels in 3D World are the only thing in the game that will challenge anyone. I dunno why they made the main game so piss easy. I'd be ok with it if we got a Super Luigi 3D World but as of now yea it's just the bonus levels. Shame too since the game is enjoyable.

Pachimari

Difficulty, new systems, interesting spaces, You gotta remember that the first 6 or so worlds are made for co-op cohesion. Once the game stops that, it's a whole new ballgame.

So especially the first 6 worlds are designed for co-op but the remaining ones will be as good for a single player? Because my girlfriend have a hard time moving the character around in 3D space and keeps falling, so I might have to go through it alone.

Roo

Is it because of added gameplay mechanics? Level design? Improved platforming, a rise in difficulty? What is it, that makes it better?

I'd say 70% of the game is pretty tame in terms of difficulty
There are a few tricky levels here and there but nothing you can't do in a few tries.

Difficulty rises drastically at the Bonus Worlds (Star, Mushroom, Flower, etc) until you get to Champion's Road and realize everything you knew about 3D platformers has been a lie.

Mesoian

So especially the first 6 worlds are designed for co-op but the remaining ones will be as good for a single player? Because my girlfriend have a hard time moving the character around in 3D space and keeps falling, so I might have to go through it alone.

Basically. If she's having a LOT of trouble, helping her along by picking her up and platforming through tougher sections may be for you, I did that when my nephews were over and playing a little while ago.

But yeah, once the kid gloves come off, it becomes a much more interesting game. And thankfully there are FAR more levels like that in 3D world than in games like 3D Land or Galaxy.

Not

Banned
Wait, people aren't into Smash? That sucks :( I remember when NO ONE said no to Smash. Nintendo, what happened to your mainstream-ness

impact

Banned
Wait, people aren't into Smash? That sucks :( I remember when NO ONE said no to Smash. Nintendo, what happened to your mainstream-ness

My friends are saying no to Smash cuz no one can find me a damn GC adapter. Nintendo ruining my fun as usual.

I've heard bad things with input lag around those third party ones, so I want the official one. But it's just not possible for Nintendo to produce more apparently....

Pachimari

I don't even know how to play it. And my girlfriend and some of her friends didn't like it either. It's extremely hard to get into but I won't give up on that game. I have a GameCube controller now and will buy the official GameCube adapter down the line.

Shauni

Uh, Smash has sold well, and will probably be a continuous seller for the Wii U for it's whole lifespan?

TheMoon

Level design, I suppose.

Start your own fun. Use the movement tools that are given to you. Long-roll everywhere, try for wall-jump/cat-wall-jump shortcuts. Let loose! Don't just push forward and jump over the occasional obstacle.

Mesoian

Smash, like any other fighting game, isn't much fun if you don't have people to play against. If my circle of friends didn't like it, I probably wouldn't be into it either.

My friends are saying no to Smash cuz no one can find me a damn GC adapter. Nintendo ruining my fun as usual.

I've heard bad things with input lag around those third party ones, so I want the official one. But it's just not possible for Nintendo to produce more apparently....

I use a pro controller and win 70% of the time and I don't consider myself to be very good.

If you didn't grow up using GCN controllers with smash, there's no point in trying to learn to use it now.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

The Wii U Pro Controller works quite well in all honesty... I personally prefer it over the GC controller.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Regardless of what Smash game someone plays im sure they all prefer the GameCube controller.

Edit: And of course I eat my own words as soon as I posted this.

Lol. I even played grew up playing Smash on the GameCube too. It's just the clicky triggers don't really do anything for Smash, and I prefer the actual 2nd analog stick over the C-stick. I don't mind the GC controller, but I wouldn't wait a ton of time for it.

jariw

In case anyone is interested in the 2015 Wii U game schedule, here's a little follow-up to my previous observations regarding the Australian classification vs. release schedule:

The May 08 release date of Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush for the PAL region, results in 79 days between classification and release, which is exactly within the "expected" time period for Nintendo Wii U games.

Yoshi's Woolly World was classified a few days earlier than Kirby, but AFAIK there are still no words (or leaks) about a release date. In fact, the latest press release from NoA (regarding the February sales figures) only mentioned future games with known release dates, while their previous press releases this year mentioned Yoshi as a future title for a spring release. IMO, that could mean 2 things:
1. Yoshi has been delayed
2. Yoshi will be announced separately very soon

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
In case anyone is interested in the 2015 Wii U game schedule, here's a little follow-up to my previous observations regarding the Australian classification vs. release schedule:

The May 08 release date of Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush for the PAL region, results in 79 days between classification and release, which is exactly within the "expected" time period for Nintendo Wii U games.

Yoshi's Woolly World was classified a few days earlier than Kirby, but AFAIK there are still no words (or leaks) about a release date. In fact, the latest press release from NoA (regarding the February sales figures) only mentioned future games with known release dates, while their previous press releases this year mentioned Yoshi as a future title for a spring release. IMO, that could mean 2 things:
1. Yoshi has been delayed
2. Yoshi will be announced separately very soon

Going with Option 2 here. A Direct either this upcoming week (seems like people are expecting this because of various hints) or the following week (what I would have guessed since it's after Mario Party, but I expect to be wrong) seems probable. Time for some Splatoon, Woolly World, and Project Giant Robot news! Those are the last three games listed for Wii U for 1st half of 2015 (for the US) as of January, so I figure we're quite due for some updates.

maxcriden

Going with Option 2 here. A Direct either this upcoming week (seems like people are expecting this because of various hints) or the following week (what I would have guessed since it's after Mario Party, but I expect to be wrong) seems probable. Time for some Splatoon, Woolly World, and Project Giant Robot news! Those are the last three games listed for Wii U for 1st half of 2015 (for the US) as of January, so I figure we're quite due for some updates.

Fingers way crossed! Yoshi is my only really anticipated game until Zelda.

maxcriden

Not even Splatoon or Mario Maker? :O

Well, it depends. I'm mildly hyped for Splatoon but really only the SP campaign I think so it depends how robust that is. As with MK8 I suspect any MP I'd get burned out on pretty quickly. I kinda wish Nintendo would sell a SP only version of Splatoon for like $30 which I think would be reasonable, but I understand that's highly improbable. I'll be surprised if it's longer than 10 hours for SP but Nintendo likes to surprise us so a big TBD on that one.

As for Mario Maker, I am looking forward to it certainly more than Splatoon, but I'm cautiously optimistic really. I want to play Nintendo-created levels most of all, and I'm only kinda sorta interested in making my own levels, so I would think the level of interest for me is going to be dependent on how much, if any, Nintendo-created content comes with the game.

PGR is of only mild interest to me, as is PG. Star Fox I've never really played other than SFA, so a shrug on that one for now. XCX isn't my kind of thing at all, nor is D3. I'm hoping one or more eShop or Retail games announced at E3 that comes out this year will be more in my wheelhouse. In the meantime, plenty of games in the backlog to play, as well as upcoming indies like Elliot Quest and A.N.N.E.

On the 3DS front, the only upcoming first party game of any interest to me is Box Boy.

As for Mario Maker, I am looking forward to it certainly more than Splatoon, but I'm cautiously optimistic really. I want to play Nintendo-created levels most of all, and I'm only kinda sorta interested in making my own levels, so I would think the level of interest for me is going to be dependent on how much, if any, Nintendo-created content comes with the game.

On the 3DS front, the only upcoming first party game of any interest to me is Box Boy.
i can totally envision a puzzle like game mode for Mario Maker, so obviously Nintendo's brilliant game designers most certainly have seen that potential to XD

Imagine having to overcome a level with a limited (or the least) amount of environment manipulations. For example, solving an environmental puzzle just with 2 enemies and 5 blocks. The user sets the objects in the environement and then takes control of Mario to reach the goal.

Box Boy is an incredible concept. Will play as soon as NOA releases the normal sized New 3DS, if ever.

TheMoon

Admit it, you're just salty because they haven't announced Nabbit for it. :D

Imagine having to overcome a level with a limited (or the least) amount of environment manipulations. For example, solving an environmental puzzle just with 2 enemies and 5 blocks. The user sets the objects in the environement and then takes control of Mario to reach the goal.

That sounds .... I WANTS IT NAOOO! :O

Pachimari

See something like this would sell me on Mario Maker.

Meesh

i can totally envision a puzzle like game mode for Mario Maker, so obviously Nintendo's brilliant game designers most certainly have seen that potential to XD

Box Boy is an incredible concept. Will play as soon as NOA releases the normal sized New 3DS, if ever.
Should just make it Zelda maker, share dungeon/puzzle levels, toss in Maker unique bosses...could be a win?

maxcriden

Admit it, you're just salty because they haven't announced Nabbit for it. :D

You know, funnily enough, I never anticipated we'd be able to play as more than just Mario in these levels. I haven't seen any speculation about it, either. I wonder if we'll see it in this game or the inevitable sequel.

Wow. That sounds awesome! Really neat idea. :)

Top Bottom