• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2015

69wpm

Looking at the UK prices for Splatoon, which are way under 30 Pounds, I'm getting the feeling that it might be a budget game. So in Europe it should be priced at 40 Euros. I find that very odd, I expected it to be a normal full price game. Yet, Nintendo seem to release a couple of budget games: Kirby, Mario Party, maybe Yoshi? My guess is that they'll bundle many upcoming games with an amiibo (in a separate special edition) and hope to get people to buy more of those.

TheMoon

Looking at the UK prices for Splatoon, which are way under 30 Pounds, I'm getting the feeling that it might be a budget game. So in Europe it should be priced at 40 Euros. I find that very odd, I expected it to be a normal full price game. Yet, Nintendo seem to release a couple of budget games: Kirby, Mario Party, maybe Yoshi? My guess is that they'll bundle many upcoming games with an amiibo (in a separate special edition) and hope to get people to buy more of those.

They do that with their experimental games a lot now. See Captain Toad or Kirby or Bayonetta 2. Heck, Mario Party is budget priced even...

cacildo

Is this the wrong thread to talk about the possibility of a march direct?

Cause i was thinking... isnt it kinda too close to e3? What did the last march direct had?

TheMoon

Cause i was thinking... isnt it kinda too close to e3? What did the last march direct had?

Yes this is indeed the wrong thread to talk about this.

And no, March is not too close to June. Remember they announced ALBW in April 2013 in a Direct. Expect a Direct next week-ish. Or at least an info-dump on Splatoon.

Hiltz

March 2015 had a South Korean-only Nintendo Direct on the 19th. April has Xenoblade Chronicles 3D for 3DS coming out in early April while Xenoblade Chronicles X is coming out in Japan only by the end of the month.I suppose we'll see this new Fire Emblem 3DS game released for fall overseas. According to the developer, Xenoblade X's next video will be focusing on the giant mechs. It will likely be presented through as a non-Nintendo Direct like the last couple of videos for the game. Splatoon comes out next in May along with Super Mario Bros version of Puzzles & Dragons.

3DS does have a couple of new games announced for it such as a new Fire Emblem title planned for a summer release in Japan. Strangely, Fire Emblem: Awakening came out first in North America and a month later everywhere else. Nintendo also showed us a brief look at a new Rhythm Heaven title for 3DS, but I don't remember if nay release news info was revealed for it . EAD Tokyo is apparently working on a new Super Mario title, but did not say if its for 3DS or Wii U. We don't know if it is coming out this year.

Wii U's got several titles announced but without releases dates such as Xenoblade X, Devil's Third, Zelda, Mario Maker, Yoshi's Wooly World and Star Fox. Nintendo also teased us late last year about sharing information on Animal Crossing news for Wii U, but its anyone's guess if we'll actually see it come out this year. There's also Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei that Nintendo has not given us an update on since June 2014. Next Level Games and Retro Studios are working on Wii U projects if I'm not mistaken. Next Level Games hasn't released a new title since Luigi's Mansion 2 in 2013 for 3DS, whereas Retro Studios released Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze back in February 2014. Apparently, its new project has been in development since November 2013, but I doubt we'll see it released this year let alone announced at E3. Miyamoto and Iwata did say that there's more new games to be announced for Wii U, so take from what what you will.

Pachimari

I'm happy I got to order the official Gamecube adapter AND got myself a Gamecube this month. I'm close to rounding off the month with Captain Toad or a 3DS game.

But I'm a little worried about the future, when I'm only interested in Splatoon and Legend of Zelda. Hope they announce some titles for 2016.

Pachimari

You'd only need to read the post above yours..
I don't know what you are getting at? That post gives me nothing I don't already know.

I'm telling you I'm not interested in any other games than Splatoon and Zelda going forward. Which makes me worried, and thus I hope they have titles for 2016. Besides Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem.

cacildo

March 2015 had a South Korean-only Nintendo Direct on the 19th. April has Xenoblade Chronicles 3D for 3DS coming out in early April while Xenoblade Chronicles X is coming out in Japan only by the end of the month.I suppose we'll see this new Fire Emblem 3DS game released for fall overseas. According to the developer, Xenoblade X's next video will be focusing on the giant mechs. It will likely be presented through as a non-Nintendo Direct like the last couple of videos for the game. Splatoon comes out next in May along with Super Mario Bros version of Puzzles & Dragons.

3DS does have a couple of new games announced for it such as a new Fire Emblem title planned for a summer release in Japan. Strangely, Fire Emblem: Awakening came out first in North America and a month later everywhere else. Nintendo also showed us a brief look at a new Rhythm Heaven title for 3DS, but I don't remember if nay release news info was revealed for it . EAD Tokyo is apparently working on a new Super Mario title, but did not say if its for 3DS or Wii U. We don't know if it is coming out this year.

Wii U's got several titles announced but without releases dates such as Xenoblade X, Devil's Third, Zelda, Mario Maker, Yoshi's Wooly World and Star Fox. Nintendo also teased us late last year about sharing information on Animal Crossing news for Wii U, but its anyone's guess if we'll actually see it come out this year. There's also Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei that Nintendo has not given us an update on since June 2014. Next Level Games and Retro Studios are working on Wii U projects if I'm not mistaken. Next Level Games hasn't released a new title since Luigi's Mansion 2 in 2013 for 3DS, whereas Retro Studios released Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze back in February 2014. Apparently, its new project has been in development since November 2013, but I doubt we'll see it released this year let alone announced at E3. Miyamoto and Iwata did say that there's more new games to be announced for Wii U, so take from what what you will.

Good post. Thanks.

But what about this Animal Crossing tease.. when did this happened?

Pachimari

Good post. Thanks.

I have no idea. The idea of a Wii U version came out of the whole Plaza release.

I really want Animal Crossing on Wii U. And a Luigi's Mansion, and a F-Zero. Don't care much for Metroid, and I don't need another Donkey Kong; haven't even really started Tropical Freeze yet.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

I think Animal Crossing will make it out for December in Japan, and Spring 2016 world wide. But a Mario game from EAD Tokyo? I don't think you will see that on 3DS or Wii U.

TheMoon

I don't know what you are getting at? That post gives me nothing I don't already know.

I'm telling you I'm not interested in any other games than Splatoon and Zelda going forward. Which makes me worried, and thus I hope they have titles for 2016. Besides Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem.

This part:

Nintendo also teased us late last year about sharing information on Animal Crossing news for Wii U, but its anyone's guess if we'll actually see it come out this year. There's also Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei that Nintendo has not given us an update on since June 2014. Next Level Games and Retro Studios are working on Wii U projects if I'm not mistaken. Next Level Games hasn't released a new title since Luigi's Mansion 2 in 2013 for 3DS, whereas Retro Studios released Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze back in February 2014. Apparently, its new project has been in development since November 2013, but I doubt we'll see it released this year let alone announced at E3. Miyamoto and Iwata did say that there's more new games to be announced for Wii U, so take from what what you will.

Which makes clear that you don't need to "hope" that they'll be announcing new games at E3.

Good post. Thanks.

Miiverse post in the dev community about Animal Crossing news coming this year. They didn't mention a platform, though so the Wii U mention in his post is purely speculative.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Miiverse post in the dev community about Animal Crossing news coming this year. They didn't mention a platform, though so the Wii U mention in his post is purely speculative.

1. Miyamoto mentioning to investors wanting to make an Animal Crossing for Wii U with smaller figurines. I think then he suggested NFC cards?

2. Aya Kyogoku pretty much stating the they are shutting down the Wii U Animal Crossing Plaza, but stay tuned for exciting news in 2015 (e3?).

TheMoon

1. Miyamoto mentioning to investors wanting to make an Animal Crossing for Wii U with smaller figurines. I think then he suggested NFC cards?

2. Aya Kyogoku pretty much stating the they are shutting down the Wii U Animal Crossing Plaza, but stay tuned for exciting news in 2015 (e3?).

Oh I forgot about the Miyamoto bit.

Looked it up, didn't mention any specific platforms, though.

Shigeru Miyamoto said:
By using amiibo in different forms, we are internally discussing the possibility of using amiibo with, for example, an “Animal Crossing” game and other games in some unique ways. I hope you look forward to our future announcements. We plan to use amiibo to create new ways to play.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/141030qa/

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Strangely, Fire Emblem: Awakening came out first in North America and a month later everywhere else.

What do you mean? It released in Japan in 2012, NA got it nearly a year later in 2013. Or are you just talking about Europe, Australia, etc.?

TheMoon

I though Tokyo EAD was already working on a new Mario game? They seemed to hint at Wii U as well.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/08/nintendos-ead-tokyo-already-working-next-mario-game/

But probably not for Wii U:
Shigeru Miyamoto said:
"From early on, I wanted Mario to be that character in the digital world, so that with each digital evolution, he was there to usher in the next era. I think that maybe when we release the next hardware system, you can look forward to seeing Mario take on a new role or in a new game."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/19/miyamoto-nintendo-working-on-ideas-for-next-console

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oh I forgot about the Miyamoto bit. Looked it up, didn't mention any specific platforms, though.

Come on!, It's either for Wii U or a n3DS exclusive. Which makes more sense? Then keep in mind they shut down the Wii U channel.

I though Tokyo EAD was already working on a new Mario game? They seemed to hint at Wii U as well.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/08/nintendos-ead-tokyo-already-working-next-mario-game/

Definitely not Wii U. But for Project NX, I also don't think NSMB and 3D Mario will co-exist anymore. Probably one portmanteau franchise will do it.

Nesther

Oh man, that would be a huge bummer. I was hoping for at least one full-fledged SP Mario on the Wii U. 3D World was cool and all, but I need something to scratch the 64/Sunshine/Galaxy itch.

Malus

But probably not for Wii U:

Could be the 2D Mario team working on that.

Edit: Reading it again, Miyamoto doesn't seem so specific here. Just talking about how he wants Mario to appear on future platforms. It is an interview about their next hardware after all.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oh man, that would be a huge bummer. I was hoping for at least one full-fledged SP Mario on the Wii U. 3D World was cool and all, but I need something to scratch the 64/Sunshine/Galaxy itch.

Really can't complain too much. You got NSMBU, NSLU, SM3DW, and the spin-off Captain Toad. I wouldn't count out a remaster for 2016 though.

TheMoon

Come on!, It's either for Wii U or a n3DS exclusive. Which makes more sense? Then keep in mind they shut down the Wii U channel.

Sure, sure. Not disagreeing just saying that he wasn't specific :D

Personally, I'd love it of it connected with ACNL somehow. I don't think I've ever used that "UPDATE" button on the menu. ACNL e+?

TheMoon

Could be the 2D Mario team working on that.

Edit: Reading it again, Miyamoto doesn't seem so specific here. Just talking about how Mario might be different on the future platform.

But they're clearly not "wasting" their top tier devs on another Wii U Mario that would have them be not ready to have a new dazzling Mario game ready for the NX launch which is something they've messed up with the last two launches (3DS having no A-class first party launch game and Wii U having a very unappealing (looking) 2D Mario at launch
(which was secretly amazing and to hell with anyone who disagrees)
shortly after having a not well regarded similar-looking 3DS game out)

Hiltz

What do you mean? It released in Japan in 2012, NA got it nearly a year later in 2013. Or are you just talking about Europe, Australia, etc.?

My mistake. I forgot to correct that part. You're right, it did come out in 2012 for Japan first.

Here's the statement about the Animal Crossing news mentioned in December 2014 by Nintendo director Aya Kyogoku :

"We're also going to continue posting news related to the series here in the Animal Crossing News Community [On Wii U's Miiverse], so stay tuned for more information about Animal Crossing next year!"

Mentok

Banned
I recently started playing MH3U....now I don't care that I have to wait for the fall line-up! I have a feeling that SMTxFE will be moved onto NX though (I was kind of hoping that would be the swan song game for the WiiU)....I also agree with others that we probably won't be seeing a new Metroid or F-Zero on WiiU (although I'd love it if we did).

Actually, I kinda hope the WiiU does go out with a bang

Malus

But they're clearly not "wasting" their top tier devs on another Wii U Mario that would have them be not ready to have a new dazzling Mario game ready for the NX launch which is something they've messed up with the last two launches (3DS having no A-class first party launch game and Wii U having a very unappealing (looking) 2D Mario at launch
(which was secretly amazing and to hell with anyone who disagrees)
shortly after having a not well regarded similar-looking 3DS game out)

Maybe. We are speculating that the NX might come out in 2017. A 3+ year dev cycle between Mario games is a bit long. Though I don't know how many resources were taken up on Captain Toad. They were confirmed to be working on to next 3D Mario before captain toad released, and then there were the rumors of the new Tokyo EAD team.

TheMoon

Maybe. We are speculating that the NX might come out in 2017. A 3+ year dev cycle between Mario games is a bit long. Though I don't know how many resources were taken up on Captain Toad. They were confirmed to be working on to next 3D Mario before captain toad released, and then there were the rumors of the new Tokyo EAD team.

Sunshine (July 2002) -> Galaxy (November 2007) was over 5 years (with DK Jungle Beat inbetween in December 2004).

Personally I find it more likely the Captain Toad team plays around with another spin-off (I want my Rosalina game!) and saves the big splash for the next HW launch.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

It's not really rumor. There is clearly a third production group officially at EAD Tokyo now. But people mistakenly look at each group like if it had individual team members, which they don't. Which means if two EAD teams are making big resource games, either the third team makes a small game (flipnote studio) or develops one in large conjunction with another developer (Steel Diver series with Vitei).

Malus

Sunshine (July 2002) -> Galaxy (November 2007) was over 5 years (with DK Jungle Beat inbetween in December 2004).

Personally I find it more likely the Captain Toad team plays around with another spin-off (I want my Rosalina game!) and saves the big splash for the next HW launch.

I'm going by their more recent stuff. 3D Land was released a mere year after Galaxy 2, and 3D World only 2 years after that. If NX is a handheld device maybe we could see another 3D Land-like short dev cycle.

TheMoon

I'm going by their more recent stuff. 3D Land was released a mere year after Galaxy 2, and 3D World only 2 years after that. If NX is a handheld device maybe we could see another 3D Land-like short dev cycle.

Only one of those was an HD game though and that built off of the foundation established in 3D Land. Given Miyamoto's comments, they might be pulling out all the stops for the next one. Fresh concept + HD assets = a bit longer dev time than previous games.

Malus

Only one of those was an HD game though and that built off of the foundation established in 3D Land. Given Miyamoto's comments, they might be pulling out all the stops for the next one. Fresh concept + HD assets = a bit longer dev time than previous games.

Good points. Another possibility is that they have the NX Mario ready to be revealed by e3 2017, but not released until 2018 ala the Wii with Mario Galaxy 1. They can still build hype for the system's library even if the game doesn't release within the launch window.

TheMoon

Good points. Another possibility is that they have the NX Mario ready to be revealed by e3 2017, but not released until 2018 ala the Wii with Mario Galaxy 1. They can still build hype for the system's library even if the game doesn't release within the launch window.

Wii had Zelda at launch. NX won't have that. Either they pull a magical Wii Sports-like rabbit out of their head or they're going with the safe-bet of a 3D Mario extravaganza which is the type of game that gets gamers (=early adopters) hyped no matter what. (
Unless they're Spieler Eins
)

Just saying unless there's conflicting information, them saving the next big Mario for the next system's launch seems like the obvious and logical thing.

prag16

Banned
Wii had Zelda at launch. NX won't have that. Either they pull a magical Wii Sports-like rabbit out of their head or they're going with the safe-bet of a 3D Mario extravaganza which is the type of game that gets gamers (=early adopters) hyped no matter what. (
)

Just saying unless there's conflicting information, them saving the next big Mario for the next system's launch seems like the obvious and logical thing.

That definitely sounds logical. The cherry on top would be to serve us up a Mario 64 remaster as the Wii U's swan song if there's no time to get another true Mario game before Wii U is buried.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
)

I'm not sure that is the best move. Both the New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario 3D Land/World formula don't seem due for subsequent warm welcoming. Meaning, Nintendo has to think about the franchise, and probably experiment a little to produce another amazing refreshing Mario title. Thus, launch isn't the best avenue for such an important release. I think an abundant launch that also shows versatility is the key thing here.

If we are being theoretical about a big IP showing up at launch, the most powerful one Nintendo has is Mario Kart.

Malus

)

I kinda feel like that's what Nintendo's strategy has been and what they're going to continue to try and do. Try to come up with the next big gimmick whether it be motion control, 3D, screens in controllers, etc. and feature it in their games. They can't boast graphics, 3rd party support, or online infrastructure so they gotta come up with something. The question is whether they'll come up with the next Wii Sports or the next Nintendo Land.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure that is the best move. Both the New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario 3D Land/World formula don't seem due for subsequent warm welcoming. Meaning, Nintendo has to think about the franchise, and probably experiment a little to produce another amazing refreshing Mario title. Thus, launch isn't the best avenue for such an important release. I think an abundant launch that also shows versatility is the key thing here.

If we are being theoretical about a big IP showing up at launch, the most powerful one Nintendo has is Mario Kart.

What you're describing with the Mario games seems reminiscent of Ocarina of Time, since it released two years into the system's life and was really worked on until it felt just right (at least, that's the impression I get from reading interviews over the years). That said, what you're describing could also describe Mario 64, which hit launch. If there is not another main Mario game releasing on Wii U, and if we assume a new home console is releasing in 2017, then that gives the team four years of working. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo has had a semi-firm idea of what direction their system will be taking since 2014, so a core team might have been put to work on developing using prototypes. If Miyamoto is to be believed (more interviews I don't have a source for), Mario games can inspire what the console actually is. So I don't think seeing a revolutionary Mario at launch would be impossible, especially if the two are being codeveloped. If the core 3D Mario team doesn't do any other major projects on Wii U, then I think it's certain they're planning something for early in the next home system's (or potentially portable system's, though this seems less likely) life. Of course, that isn't to say they won't release it after launch; just saying I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

EDIT: But on the subject of 2015 Wii U games...it looks like the next major release I'm looking forward to is Affordable Space Adventures! I also half-expect a surprise announcement of Project Giant Robot for an April release in the next direct, so maybe that will come out around the same time.

The Giant

Banned

Have a look in the nintendo korea direct thread. You will find your answer there :)

OuterLimits

I wonder if Nintendo of America is ever going to release Golden Sun: The Lost Age on Wii U VC? I realize it is out in Europe and Japan. I played the first one and would love to play the sequel. Releasing the first but not the direct sequel is mean Nintendo. :(

Really looking forward to Splatoon, Xenoblade and Mario Maker to a lesser extent. I also need to buy the Kirby game.

xandaca

I wish Nintendo would confirm whether Splatoon will be compatible with the Wii remote or not. The game's available for a good price (£25) right now, but I'd most likely be playing it with friends which means, for me, it needs to allow Wiimotes - not to mention my personal preference for pointer aiming in any game involving shooting.

Top Bottom