• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U hacked?

Mudkips

Banned
But Homebrew is evil and runs Nintendo out of business!!1

I know you're being sarcastic, but since some people actually believe that shit:

If Nintendo had given me a real account based system so I didn't have to transfer/rebuy shit, a region-free console, an option to install retail games to the system or USB, and a decent library for the virtual console service, I wouldn't care about homebrew at all. I'd actually be against it because of the piracy it enables.

But until Nintendo (or Sony and MS) give me what I want out of the box, I'm going to hope for homebrew that adds it on every time. It's the same reason I root my phone, run custom firmware on dozens of my shits, etc. Piracy is their problem, not mine. I'm concerned with functionality.

The Wii U is bomba-ing because the hardware is weak and expensive and because they've got no fucking games or 3rd-party support lined up. Iwata can please understand that shit all the way to his resignation. The fact that homebrew will give me more utility out of the thing than Nintendo is Nintendo's fault, not mine, and so are the resulting consequences with regards to piracy.

I know you're being sarcastic, but since some people actually believe that shit:

If Nintendo had given me a real account based system so I didn't have to transfer/rebuy shit, a region-free console, an option to install retail games to the system or USB, and a decent library for the virtual console service, I wouldn't care about homebrew at all. I'd actually be against it because of the piracy it enables.

But until Nintendo (or Sony and MS) give me what I want out of the box, I'm going to hope for homebrew that adds it on every time. It's the same reason I root my phone, run custom firmware on dozens of my shits, etc. Piracy is their problem, not mine. I'm concerned with functionality.

The Wii U is bomba-ing because the hardware is weak and expensive and because they've got no fucking games or 3rd-party support lined up. Iwata can please understand that shit all the way to his resignation. The fact that homebrew will give me more utility out of the thing than Nintendo is Nintendo's fault, not mine, and so are the resulting consequences with regards to piracy.

well said. the wii was 1000x more useful when i modded it and its looking like the wii u is headed in that direction as well. personally ill still be getting a wii u for zelda and smash bros, but this will definitely accelerate my purchase.

Effect

With the latest update it's going to be interesting to see what Nintendo does. As long as your system is connected at this point (and this update is likely going on all future systems made) they can push out and install any update they wish (while it's turned on, you are using it, and it's turned off (going into standby mode now). I'm not sure if you can even turn that off. The update also addressed an issue with the disc drive itself. So doesn't that mean Nintendo can potentially push out updates that could stop this?

Also wait a minute. The Wii U formats any drive connected to it. You can't connect it to anything else to access it. Not even another Wii U I believe since it's formated for the original system it was connected to I believe. It doesn't matter if it's partitioned. The Wii U will format the entire thing first to make it useable. How would you even go about putting files on the drive or taking them off?

vdoggie

Banned

you are pissed because you can't pirate on the Wii U, yet you complain there are no games and 3rd party support?? dude.. you are not making much sense here.. and don't even try the whole "homebrew" there is nothing to "homebrew" on Wii U, except piracy..

moniker

you are pissed because you can't pirate on the Wii U, yet you complain there are no games and 3rd party support?? dude.. you are not making much sense here.. and don't even try the whole "homebrew" there is nothing to "homebrew" on Wii U, except piracy..

Did you even read what he wrote?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Did you even read what he wrote?

None of what he wrote matters in this case. I don't disagree with Mudkips on this, but the current WiiU hack doesn't do anything but enable piracy. No homebrew or CFW or anything. Just running copied discs.

None of what he wrote matters in this case. I don't disagree with Mudkips on this, but the current WiiU hack doesn't do anything but enable piracy. No homebrew or CFW or anything. Just running copied discs.

Well, technically neither hack is available anyway. All we have from the WiiKey guys is hot air until a product is on the market. But the fail0verflow hacking hasn't made much noise, and they're the ones I think everyone like Mudkips are really waiting on.

-MB-

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Trucha_bug

When Wii hacking came up, people managed to manually sign altered software as to allow hacks/homebrew. We can't take it for granted, of course, but there could be a possibility of this happensingagain.

That was way after the first drivemods, and basically had nothign to do with them at all.
As it is, you can't do anythign with the data dumped from the disc besides the drive emulator mounting it as 1:1 fooling the wiiu into thinking its a legit disc in the drive.
It doesn't allow any manipulating of data in the memory of the wiiu itself.

orznge

Banned

mods please ban the quoted user

It was nice knowing you...

That aside, what -MB- says is exactly right. This hacks brings almost nothing to legitimate users (aside from easier storing of physical media) but brings everything to pirates. That said, at least it won't break online games any... but I'm really hoping Nintendo has better systems in store to ban users this time...

Cudder

image.php

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Iwata can please understand that shit all the way to his resignation.

If he had any honour. He would have fallen onto his sword long ago. But Nintendo have promoted him. Just shows you the type of company we are dealing with here.

If he had any honour. He would have fallen onto his sword long ago. But Nintendo have promoted him. Just shows you the type of company we are dealing with here.

Did... did you just say that if Iwata had any honor... he'd kill himself?

You realize this is a fucking video game company right?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
All this "lol junior" stuff when he has a point: Saying the only thing to homebrew is piracy is dumb.

Get out.

breakfuss

I have never met a person who solely hacks their console for "the homebrew and expanded functionality". Granted, I know GAF is where allllll the honest folk congregate (*wink wink*), so I wouldn't expect to run into any of those filthy pirates here...

I hope Nintendo can get in front of this.

I have never met a person who solely hacks their console for "the homebrew and expanded functionality". Granted, I know GAF is where allllll the honest folk congregate (*wink wink*), so I wouldn't expect to run into any of those filthy pirates here...

I hope Nintendo can get in front of this.

Many of us just want to part ways with Nintendos regionlock bullshit.

orznge

Banned
if I'm not able to half-seriously post that and a bunch of sincere weirdo pedants are able to invade every thread about homebrew and go on a witch hunt then do your worst mods
lol

Erasus

I thought accusing people discussing homnebrew and modding a console to be pirates was an offense?

I just think stuff like this is cool as hell. Keys, authenticating, decrypting discs and dumping.

Like here, how failoverflow details the PS3 security process and how they broke it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUGGJpn2_zY

Portugeezer

Agreed.

Then again, Gaf goes against the norm for many things.

Venom released the AES keys too... wow. That may be bad news depending on what those keys are to... Modified game discs may already be a thing. On a positive note, hacked content of game discs means that there is possibly an attack vector... More likely or not though, it's just a disc verification AES, and the content itself is still signed and unmodifiable.

baphomet

This page right here is gold.

DS and PS1 were already doing quite well before piracy hit. The Wii U...well, you know.

Did had piracy pretty quickly, long before the lite was out. And I've always heard that the first models of PS1 could boot burnt copies without any mod. Either way they were both very quick.

Top Bottom