• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U hacked?

Fucking hell. This shit is worse than piracy, since it ruins the experience for legit customers.

I stopped playing Mario Kart DS online once I lost a race to someone using a hack to have infinite bullet bill items.

Agreed. Especially for someone like me, who doesn't have friends who p!at games. :(

$h@d0w

Fucking hell. This shit is worse than piracy, since it ruins the experience for legit customers.

I stopped playing Mario Kart DS online once I lost a race to someone using a hack to have infinite bullet bill items.

Agree with this - all DS multiplayer games were ruined by cheaters.

big_z

I wouldn't worry about the Mario kart 8 thing, the browser exploit could have lead to wii like hacking but someone leaked it out early and now Nintendo is well aware of it. Nintendo has already patched it in a recent update and will likely plug the hole completely in another. im sure when Mario kart gets dlc the update will patch things as well.

wiikeyu is another beast altogether. it does noting for software modding, it simply allows you to run games off hard drive, pirated or not.

Won't Nintendo block the console with the exploit?

its possible but they've never blocked a console or handheld in the past so who knows.

tensuke

Those guys in that video are really obnoxious. Plus that one guy clapping...So awkward.

At least they say they won't release anything to prevent cheaters online, but, inevitably something like that will get out. I don't mind sp mods and stuff like Project M, but hacking stuff online like with MK DS is just lame and kills the fun of playing at all.

Mithos

I would have loved to see the expression on peoples faces and what they were saying, when Tick-Tock Clock or N64 Banshee Boardwalk showed up as the track to be played on their screens (two tracks not "possible" to be played online).

Vuze

Time for a bump, it looks like Mario Kart 8 online is going to get ugly soon enough, the people who reverse engineered Mario Kart wii have already begun on mario kart 8 thanks to a new browser exploit in the Wii U os.

Video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cS66tbIrEg

Also, Cobra is releasing a ODE like the wii u key.

Looks intersting, maybe they'll be able to rip models and courses and whatnot using this. Pity for the cheating stuff but well, it will probably be patched out anyway if it hasn't been already.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
its possible but they've never blocked a console or handheld in the past so who knows.
They didn't have NNiD and Miiverse before, it'll be easy to block and stop hackers to participate in legit games via a patch I hope. After all you need a NNiD on WiiU to play online.

big_z

They didn't have NNiD and Miiverse before, it'll be easy to block and stop hackers to participate in legit games via a patch I hope. After all you need a NNiD on WiiU to play online.

on 3ds they update to block hacks but have never banned a console or NNiD. I imagine they'll do the same on the wiiU.

M3d10n

So, when Nintendo says they are "unifying the handheld and console development teams" they actually meant "the console team is fired and the handheld team is taking over both duties". The 3DS was hard as hell to break-in, when the few existing exports were published the firmware was long patched and a browser exploit (the most likely entry point due to the way a browser works) was never found.

So, when Nintendo says they are "unifying the handheld and console development teams" they actually meant "the console team is fired and the handheld team is taking over both duties". The 3DS was hard as hell to break-in, when the few existing exports were published the firmware was long patched and a browser exploit (the most likely entry point due to the way a browser works) was never found.

Exactly.

Bashtee

I wouldn't be surprised if they simply didn't have the option to ban someone, for various software reasons. After all, they are rather new to all the online features and quite ignorant to other systems like PSN or XBOX Live.

I wouldn't be surprised if they simply didn't have the option to ban someone, for various software reasons. After all, they are rather new to all the online features and quite ignorant to other systems like PSN or XBOX Live.

They've issued bans since the Wii.

KHlover

Banned
You'd be wrong, as of the Smash Bros. Direct we know Nintendo can ban NNID's.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
on 3ds they update to block hacks but have never banned a console or NNiD. I imagine they'll do the same on the wiiU.

You dont need a NNiD to play online on 3DS - since the whole NNiD support works backwards on 3DS and wasnt there from launch. I doubt they will not ban NNiD when hackers start destroying games like MK8 and Smash bros. - they have been updating their user agreement policies in the last couple months for such events. They already mentioned to ban Smash Bros. WiiU/3DS gamers if they detect hackers.

Not too mention that hacking on 3DS isnt as widespreaded as on Wii/DS which got hacked even by very casual users.

There were some friggin' wild accessories back in the days! How about floppydrive you can copy your PS1 saves with? Or a huge brick that attaches to your PS1 so you can watch video-cd's?

I need to take some old mag with an ad and scan it someday.

Regarding saves, I had (have) something better for the PS1, the Dex Drive:
dexdrive.jpg

D

Deleted member 18827

Unconfirmed Member
Spooky. I was just in the garage a few hours ago looking for an old GC controller and stumbled on my old Dex drive. Completely forgot about the thing.

Pretty sure I got one of the game genie/vcd players out there as well.

Shizuka

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask, but does anyone know if I can somehow mod my NTSC Wii U to play PAL Wii games? I own a PAL copy of Project Zero 2, but the PAL Wii I got with it never worked.

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask, but does anyone know if I can somehow mod my NTSC Wii U to play PAL Wii games? I own a PAL copy of Project Zero 2, but the PAL Wii I got with it never worked.

No. There are currently no Wii U mods that I know of. Maybe later, but not now.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You have to use a SD Card. I think for Wii U you have to use a game exploit so things like Letterbomb are out. Smash Stack is the most popular since Smash Bros is an extremely common/popular game.

So you can just follow the directions for installing the Homebrew Channel on a Wii, and it will be the exact same on a Wii U in Wii mode. The GAF wiki is extremely thorough. Almost too thorough, IMO, it makes it seem more complicated than it really is.

Edit: And using Gecko or USB loader is really easy once you get them on there, and even with Gecko that is just a matter of putting it on the SD card. And you can create a forwarder channel so you don't have to load up the Homebrew Channel every time you want to launch your region-free app of choice. That requires some extra effort but it's useful to have.

Sorry to bump this thread, and I hope I don't get banned (Mods please feel free to delete my post/lock thread)

Seems as though the Wii U hacking scene has made some progress, with a usermode exploit accessible, open to test now;
https://bitbucket.org/Marionumber1/wiiu-userspace

According to a couple of the developers, there may be a kernelmode exploit releasing soon, "before or around E3" is what they're planning for but it "should be ready April/May"

They've also advocated stockpiling Wii Us and not updating them for now, although the exploit should be safe for now.

ILoveBish

Looks like the first ISO loader has been released, it uses smash 4 for access to the SD card slot, and they have NES Remix Wii U loading from the kernel exploit. Loader is called loadiine.

Looks like the first ISO loader has been released, it uses smash 4 for access to the SD card slot, and they have NES Remix Wii U loading from the kernel exploit. Loader is called loadiine.

Man, that circumvents region lock? I just hope I can actually use my FAtal Frame 5 disc on my wii u with this. If it only works with game rips then that'll be pretty disappointing.

sonto340

Man, that circumvents region lock? I just hope I can actually use my FAtal Frame 5 disc on my wii u with this. If it only works with game rips then that'll be pretty disappointing.
It's super early days with the loader still. Tons of games don't even launch at all still.
I imagine as more exploits are found and more experienced hackers get ahold of the tools required it'll be busted open at a Wii level eventually.

Top Bottom