• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U hacking no longer even requires a PC.

This is actually a couple weeks old, but it's not even mentioned in the Wii U hacking thread (which is pretty dead).

Last updated : September 10 (v8) =>
=> Following the release of the mighty "Homebrews AppStore Installer" by the Wiiubru's fellows, we have consequently adapted our "Getting Started" section to privilege a full installation procedure using a WiiU instead of a computer. Putting a clean (But still formatted FAT32) SDCard into your WiiU is now the only step required before using the gate and most of its services.

So for those keeping track, here is now what you need to hack any Wii U currently out.

• Wii U on 5.5.1 firmware (latest firmware, has been for months, Nintendo has shown no desire to update)
  • An SD card up to 128GB (some 256GB cards work as well)
  • An internet connection

Then it's just a matter of...

• Turning on your Wii U
  • Turning on the browser
  • Going to http://loadiine.ovh/
  • From the drop-down list, selecting the second option "Homebrew AppStore Installer"

From there you just install whatever homebrew you desire including DDD for dumping disc and installed games (it does require a PC).

What a time to be alive.

(Edit) If you want to extract your legitimate roms from any VC titles you purchased, you can use DDD, then use this program from fellow gaffer wheapon. You can then use your roms on whatever emu on PC or anywhere else you see fit, including on X-box 1.

georly

nuts.

What are some things you can do with a hacked wii u? Mod smash, I presume, but what else? Kinda wanna do this out of curiosity.

Excellent. Now give me a way to dump my discs onto and play from the hard drive and we're perfect.

That'd be neat. Was super convenient on wii and still allows me to keep my physical collection.

nuts.

What are some things you can do with a hacked wii u? Mod smash, I presume, but what else? Kinda wanna do this out of curiosity.

Backup/play any installed or disc games (no online though), emulators, cheats, region free, some little games here and there. The Wii U scene still seems pretty small, and there are still quite a few limitations since no one has a released IOSU exploit.

Will this let me play import games, finally time to sell my Japanese Wii U!

OurLoader is available and allows you to play games region free, yes.

Atolm

Is there any interesting homebrew? Like injecting Wii games to the launcher so you can play them on the Gamepad like with Xenoblade?

Also is it posible to rip your own games onto an SD and play them, I guess? Wii U disc drive can be a true motherfucking jet engine.

What about some possible ban? I suppose there must be some risk (And I don't want to my account that is also tied to my 3ds)

I think it says so in the op, but can you dump games from discs to either sd or hard drives?

Edit already converted. Ok then. Still occasionally play smash online, so I'll wait a little longer.

What about some possible ban? I suppose there must be some risk (And I don't want to my account that is also tied to my 3ds)

I mean, anything you do that is outside the ToS could cause your account to be banned. Nothing this does is a permanent hack to any system files, you have to go into the web browser to reactivate the exploit every time.

I think it says so in the op, but can you dump games from discs to either sd or hard drives?

As far as I know, DDD only dumps via network to a PC.

Oh snap, gonna have to do this later this weekend. Do any emulators run native on Wii U mode? Or are they still all locked on the Wii side?

kewlmyc

I have a Wii U, but no desire to hack it. Only thing I could think of that I would do is implement Smash 4 costume mods.

Oh snap, gonna have to do this later this weekend. Do any emulators run native on Wii U mode? Or are they still all locked on the Wii side?

I'm not sure what the emu scene currently looks like, but this hack is Wii U side so any emulators that do exist should have access to most of the hardware.

super cool development

stability update incoming?

The hack has existed for months. The only thing new is that it no longer even requires a PC to transfer files over.

inner-G

Banned
If I have my GCN/Wii games ripped to WBFS USB HDDs, can I plug those right into a soft mod Wii U and launch them in Wii mode? Or do I need FAT32 HDDs?

Eila

Uncensoring Xenoblade and Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

Pretty sure Xenoblade X also had a trainer of sorts. Pretty cool, but running games on an SD card this way actually increments load times compared to discs. So yeah, looking forward to the day it's fully hacked and I can run games off a HDD with improved load times. Although at this point CEMU might come before all that. Looks like Mario 3D World runs almost perfectly now.

marmoka

Banned
Wait a minute. Are you saying Nintendo didn't update the Wii U in the latest months? So there is no need to introduce other DSN adressess manually?

Any nice homebrew available for Wii U? Haven´t really read much into it

The main things I've done with Wii U modding is mod Smash 4 in costumes, music and other various stuff like editing the CSS. I've also done some stuff in Xenoblade X like "completing" some of the more bullshit quests and give my Girl A Avatar a ponytail via XcX Gecko.

Overall it's pretty nice to have and worth the effort. Having Falcom music play while fighting in Smashville is so good.

Uncensoring Xenoblade and Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

You can already do this with trainers like XCX Gecko even without dumping the game. It also allows to go beyond uncensoring with features like editing the other party members.

aravuus

Wish I had a 128gb SD card (and a working external HDD). Wouldn't mind trying a bit of cheating in Xenoblade X, could be fun.

I'm not sure what the emu scene currently looks like, but this hack is Wii U side so any emulators that do exist should have access to most of the hardware.

The hack has existed for months. The only thing new is that it no longer even requires a PC to transfer files over.

Nice..the thought of having up to date emulators on the gamepad is just awesome. VC doesn't fill this niche since it's missing a lot of titles I'd like to play.

I wonder if it's possible to play the uncensored Fatal Frame 5 with this as well..hmm

Eh Wii U games are not worth the price of an sd card reader.

Holy shitpost Batman!

Top Bottom