• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U has 2GB of DDR3 RAM, [Up: RAM 43% slower than 360/PS3 RAM]

DrM

Redmond's Baby
The question is how powerful will the other next gen consoles be and what their prices will be. Im not buying a 600 dollar console and neither is anyone else. That was proven already by the market.

This.
I am on the same camp.

1-D_FTW

Wii U could be packing dual Keplers, and it would still probably end up missing out on a very large percentage of multiplatform titles.

Specs matter, but I doubt they matter as much as how third parties perceive the audience for the system.

In the past, sure. But come on. If it were packing dual Keplers, it'd be just like PC. They could do a nasty port and through brute force of the hardware, still make it look vastly superior to the HD Twins. In today's climate, developers want as many viable platforms as they can get (assuming its human resource demands don't outstrip its sales potential).

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
We already have a few clues. From the rumor that EA/Dice have yet to comment on...

Battlefield 4 will run at 60fps on Orbis/Durango. PS3/360... 30fps.

I don't see Wii U hitting the 60fps target.

None is doubting that Orbis/Durango are going to be more powerful than the Wii U. What "we" are disputing are the following points:

- There's no significant difference between 360, Ps3 and Wii U.
- The difference between Wii U and Orbis/Durango is akin to the one between Wii and 360 (or Ps3).

onQ123

Can we upgrade the RAM with faster RAM and will it make any difference

Why yes you can!

N64ram-300x300.jpg

The question is how powerful will the other next gen consoles be and what their prices will be. Im not buying a 600 dollar console and neither is anyone else. That was proven already by the market.

Let's not forget that the gamepad added a substantial amount to the cost of the Wii U. Remove that from the equation, replace it with more ram, better gpu, and CPU and cut out the R&D cost for the pad and an extra year to reduce costs and now you have as PS720 that is in the $400 range.

Snakeyes

In the past, sure. But come on. If it were packing dual Keplers, it'd be just like PC. They could do a nasty port and through brute force of the hardware, still make it look vastly superior to the HD Twins. In today's climate, developers want as many viable platforms as they can get (assuming its human resource demands don't outstrip its sales potential).

Yeah, pretty much.

Very short-sighted of Nintendo IMO.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It will be fun to see, how Orbis and Durango will be priced, if this global economy crisis lasts for another year or more... add rising dev costs to this equation and you will get uncertain future.

Reiko

Banned
None is doubting that Orbis/Durango are going to be more powerful than the Wii U. What "we" are disputing are the following points:

- There's no significant difference between 360, Ps3 and Wii U.
- The difference between Wii U and Orbis/Durango is akin to the one between Wii and 360 (or Ps3).

So far none. I'll put it in the range of slightly better or slightly worse.

Weeks ago Shinen had this to say:

The performance problem of hardware nowadays is not clock speed but ram latency. Fortunately Nintendo took great efforts to ensure developers can really work around that typical bottleneck on Wii U.

They put a lot of thought on how CPU, GPU, caches and memory controllers work together to amplify your code speed. For instance, with only some tiny changes we were able to optimize certain heavy load parts of the rendering pipeline to 6x of the original speed, and that was even without using any of the extra cores.

Better RAM would be better, YES, but people forget how full of bottlenecks and latency current generation consoles were. This is a different beast, albeit low end compared to PS4/X720.

Being speedy amounts to nothing if your data has to wait cycles to be processed anyway, has to seldon help out the framebuffer or gets lost along the way and has to be re-sent (cache miss was very real on both X360 and PS3).

Radec

Yes I do. I expect the top tier first party games on WiiU to look absolutely stunning. For example. When you see the Zelda WiiU demo. There is no reason why the whole game can't look as least as good if not better then that.

you're setting yourself for a disappointment.

Don't make your standards that high. Nintendo is just entering this gen. (Graphics wise).

MYE

you're setting yourself for a disappointment.

Don't make your standards that high. Nintendo is just entering this gen. (Graphics wise).

All of Nintendo's Zelda tech demos have been surpassed by the actual game releases. I dont see why this would suddenly stop now

On brute force alone, no. It could get "similar" visuals if developers use all the tricks available, and makes for ground up code for it.

Definitely not, but I never expected it to. My first impressions with it today is that it barely holds up to the PS3 and 360 (in terms of experience, UI, games). Games will obviously improve, but the UI needs an incredible amount of work. So slow.

kinggroin

Banned
On brute force alone, no. It could get "similar" visuals if developers use all the tricks available, and makes for ground up code for it.

They can't be assed to do a great job with launch titles (which is how you get the ball rolling), they will care less when orbis and Durango arrive. If you truly have interest in future 3rd party titles, you'll do we'll to own a pc or one of the aforementioned next-gen twins.

Orayn

So all of this means what, really?

Nintendo going sixth party, negative 1 billion consoles sold.

...Wii U may have a worrying bottleneck. Could explain some technical issues devs have experienced, doesn't bode well for comparisons to Durango and Orbis.

charsace

Yeah, they aren't gonna do that. People are gonna build on PC and then port from there. I don't see devs spending extra money to get one port up.

Reiko

Banned
Yeah, they aren't gonna do that. People are gonna build on PC and then port from there. I don't see devs spending extra money to get one port up.

Yep. Since 720/PS4 will be comparable to PC development, it's the most likely scenario, barring exclusives.

Ponn

Banned
Welp.

Does anyone seriously think the Wii U will stand up to next-gen consoles, still?

You underestimate the power of cognitive dissonance. If you try to keep up this debate prepare for a very long road ahead.

My suggestion to people on BOTH sides is just accept the Wii-U for what it is and move on depending on your tastes. Nintendo is their own bubble at this point and so far they are doing just fine.

RAM issues aside, but what's killing my gaming boner right now are the placement of the sticks. Specifically the right stick being above the buttons. I'll never buy cross-plats for this unless the port is leaps and bounds beyond the others. I just don't like this placement.

I think you are vastly underestimating the ability of Nintendo's programmers.

Are they different from the ones that designed this god-awful slow UI?

spirity

Nintendo's first party content has never did it for me, so I was hoping this console would be a strong contender and attract 3rd party, and at least give me another option when choosing a console next year.

I guess this scenario is unlikely now? Serious question.

wow. Talk about backfiring in your face :eek:
DDR3 was likely, yes.

But being speculation threads people always hope for the next big thing or something special seeing Nintendo has the track record of being inventive when it comes to RAM. What kind of invention could be at place at this time though, nobody knew.

Still, in a real world scenario, thing is... no one has complained about the RAM being slow, it's probably well engineered around it.

Depends on the specs of next gen machines no amount of tricks can help for certain things .
But i guess that comes down to what you call "similar "

MYE

Blow up with a bang, end in a whimper?

I hope not. Keep it strong all the way through with support.

The top 3 of my top 5 favorite games this gen are Wii games. And I suspect Xenoblade will take up one space too when I finish it. Overall it was a fantastic and memorable system for me. I love that little white box.

The thing is, if I objectively look at how the flow of game releases happened on the Wii, I would have to agree that with the droughts and sudden waves of quality software, it was handled very poorly. Personally though, none of this actually affected me seeing as I was still recently buying big releases like Fatal Frame 2, and I still have like 10 titles I need to get on top of my collection of 30+ Wii games.

40 games for one system is HUGE for me. PS3 isnt that far behind too.
This gen was pretty good for me

Uh... I don't really keep track of wiiu, but I thought from the few topics on the first page that it's out already? People still don't know what's under the hood?

charsace

Yep. Since 720/PS4 will be comparable to PC development, it's the most likely scenario, barring exclusives.

I think the way they integrated the tablet controller is an idea that is a generation too early. In next gen I feel that we will see a revolution in regards to parallel processing and physics. Nintendo should have aimed for that with the WiiU. Then they could have focused on a tablet controller in the gen after. The WiiU should have been good parallel processing focused hardware and an improved Wiimote.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Nintendo's first party content has never did it for me, so I was hoping this console would be a strong contender and attract 3rd party, and at least give me another option when choosing a console next year.

I guess this scenario is unlikely now? Serious question.

I would not buy this console expecting multiplatform games to be great. Sorry to say.
And I think once the new HD twins arrive. Third party support will wain.

Diablos54

RAM issues aside, but what's killing my gaming boner right now are the placement of the sticks. Specifically the right stick being above the buttons. I'll never buy cross-plats for this unless the port is leaps and bounds beyond the others. I just don't like this placement.
How long have you used it for? Maybe you just need to get used to it, I mean, you've had plenty of time to adapt to the other 2.

Yeah right, those 70 million PS3s sold cleary showed that there is no market for a console with a high price point at launch... I don't think they will be 600 dollars, but it will certainly be more expensive than Wii U (I guess 399 and 499 models). The gamepad hurts the Wii U price probably a lot. It's sad if you think about how powerful the Wii U could have been without it. DDR3 RAM isn't really expensive. Another problem is probably Nintendo's craziness for small form factors.

Deadbeat

Banned
Gemüsepizza;44477495 said:
Yeah right, those 70 million PS3s sold cleary showed that there is no market for a console with a high price point at launch... I don't think they will be 600 dollars, but it will certainly be more expensive than Wii U (I guess 399 and 499 models). The gamepad hurts the Wii U price probably a lot. It's sad if you think about how powerful the Wii U could have been without it. DDR3 RAM isn't really expensive. Another problem is probably Nintendo's craziness for small form factors.
You are right Sony got those 70 million sales when it was 600 dollars.

Busty

Banned
Gimped again, just buy it for Nintento's games or you will be disappointed.

Was this scenario ever in doubt?

I mean seriously. Even it's name clearly states it's a 'sequel' to the Wii.

Nintendo has a 'format philosophy' that worked gangbusters for them this generation and they are sticking to it.

Top Bottom