• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

Edgeward

Alright dumb question, but I want to install CFW via Haxchi using the DS exploit

https://wiiu.guide/mocha-cfw-(haxchi)
Section II - Launching Mocha CFW
Create a folder on the first page of your home menu named “SysNAND”
Go to the System Settings and delete every network connection
This will prevent your SysNAND from ever getting updated
This is REQUIRED as the Wii U’s suspend mode will use the internet settings from SysNAND
Launch your Haxchi DS virtual console game
If the exploit was successful, you will launch Mocha CFW with RedNAND
If you no longer see the SysNAND folder once the home menu loads, you have successfully booted RedNAND

https://wiiu.guide/mocha-cfw-(cbhc)
Do not connect your SysNAND to the internet. Any future system update could BRICK your device if it is allowed to be installed to SysNAND!

Does this stuff matter if I block the updates from happening using the DNS they tell me to use? It makes me think I can't ever connect to the internet in any circumstances which is a problem if I want to play Mario Maker or MK8 but I don't think that can be the case

Platy

That's...already been done. But I'm seeing a lot of "cfw only" for some VC stuff that I'd like to play and can only do it with custom firmware. So far, I've just done the browser method to get to wup and go from there.

There is NOTHING that is CFW only besides having stuff on the main screen outside of haxchi

VC stuff can be done with Loadiine GX 2

Marcoos

Alright dumb question, but I want to install CFW via Haxchi using the DS exploit

https://wiiu.guide/mocha-cfw-(haxchi)

https://wiiu.guide/mocha-cfw-(cbhc)

Does this stuff matter if I block the updates from happening using the DNS they tell me to use? It makes me think I can't ever connect to the internet in any circumstances which is a problem if I want to play Mario Maker or MK8 but I don't think that can be the case

You'll be fine, you've blocked updates using DNS and it doesn't look like Nintendo are going to do another system update for the Wii U

Oxn

Dunno what im doing wrong.

I did the dns settings, i formatted my sd card as fat32 and put in all the folders appropriately, with haschi, hbl, but im getting an error.

So i go to the loadiine site. I choose hbl 1.3 which match the version im using. But afterwards it says cannot locate wiiu/app/homebrew_launcher/homebrewlauncher.elf

Please help.

EDIT: Fixed it. Wii-U is so finicky with their sd cards. Cant use a micro sd, can't use my eye-fi. But my 4GB normal SD card work.

TunaLover

This homebrew turns all your menu icons into Reggies.

mxF4dm3.png

TunaLover

I had everything running smoothly using the Brain Training DS game to access homebrew, but then I started getting an error message when I opened it. I tried deleting it and re-downloading it from the e-shop but then I got error message 105-3687.

I did find this guide to fix it:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/error-105-3687-and-how-to-fix-it.451635/

but whenever I try to use FTPiiU to access the files on the Wii U I just get a "failed to retrieve directory listing" error (it lets me access the SD card in the Wii U fine though). Any ideas?
You need signature patches applied before runing ftpiiu

ccbfan

Is there anyway to use cfw to allow full control of the system with pro controller? Specifically settings.

My game pad died, so it's limited what I can do with the system. If cfw can fix my problem then I plan to buy a used Wii U from GameStop, use the game pad to install cfw on my system and then return the system.

Draginite

Neo Member
So, yesterday i tried to turn my Wii U on and it wouldnt. No LED light at all, either. Unplugged the power supply overnight, plugged it into different outlets, nothing.

I ordered a new power supply, but if that doesnt work then I might have to send the Wii U in to Nintendo. The thing is, I've got it modded with Homebrew Channel Launcher and a Haxchi channel launcher. Am I gonna get any heat if I send the console in with that stuff on it?

thundr51

Ok,
I read the first post, copied the contents from the home_launcher_rpx file to the root of my SD card. Went to the website but it keeps saying it can't find home_launcher.elf. Is the first post not good/current anymore?

TunaLover

Ok,
I read the first post, copied the contents from the home_launcher_rpx file to the root of my SD card. Went to the website but it keeps saying it can't find home_launcher.elf. Is the first post not good/current anymore?
You can't read .rpx file with browser method, only .elf

Ok,

Go to the web browser, select app store downloader, run that. Then install the home launcher and app store and any other homebrew you want through there. Super easy to setup, no putting things in the wrong spot, and doubt require transferring to and from computer.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
It seems the DNS servers I used to block updates are down... I know the risks of Nintendo pushing a new Wii U update are pretty slim, but I prefer to be on the safe side... Anyone has a working DNS address to suggest?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Just block the domains on your router.

I still want to update my Switch and 3DS, so I prefer the DNS method if possible.

EDIT: Found those on GBAtemp:

Los Angeles, USA: 168.235.092.108
Alblasserdam, NL: 081.004.127.020

Birbo

Thinking about finally getting around to installing Homebrew on my Wii U. Looking to dump my games to a USB drive. I've already done this with my Wii. Would I have to re-download all my Wii games, or is there a way to use the USB drive and game dumps I already have on my Wii?

mf luder

I just downloaded the homebrew, do I have to go through the mii maker to launch it? How do I get the channel to show up seperatly on the wii u home menu?

Platy

Thinking about finally getting around to installing Homebrew on my Wii U. Looking to dump my games to a USB drive. I've already done this with my Wii. Would I have to re-download all my Wii games, or is there a way to use the USB drive and game dumps I already have on my Wii?

WiiU and Wii use different formatings

So the ideal would be to have a separate drive for each.

I just downloaded the homebrew, do I have to go through the mii maker to launch it? How do I get the channel to show up seperatly on the wii u home menu?

You can either launch it trough browser (enter this url in the wiiu browser : http://loadiine.ovh/ ) or you can sacrifice a DS virtual console game to have it on the menu

Mugy

The only thing that has been stopping me from playing Wii U with friends its the fact that i don't own enough Wiiremote controllers. How does HID to VPAD works in terms of quality?

Does MK8 works good? that the one game i want to play the most

Platy

The only thing that has been stopping me from playing Wii U with friends its the fact that i don't own enough Wiiremote controllers. How does HID to VPAD works in terms of quality?

Does MK8 works good? that the one game i want to play the most

HID to VPAD only SUBSTITUTES the gamepad input, it does not consider usb controllers as new stuff.

Mugy

So its possible to just plug 4 gamecube controllers and play MK8?

btw how does the gamecube controller stands in games that support the pro controller overall? is good or just not worth it?

TunaLover

So its possible to just plug 4 gamecube controllers and play MK8?

btw how does the gamecube controller stands in games that support the pro controller overall? is good or just not worth it?

It's pretty good overall, you would have problems only in games that use sticks click or depends heavely on L and R (L is Z+L, R is Z+R on GCN controller).

Another thing is the deadzone don't match exactly the Wii U Pro (Bayonetta can't run syndrome), you better use this config file:

[vid=0x057e,pid=0x0337]
VPad_L_Stick_X_MinMax = 0x1A,0xF0
VPad_L_Stick_Y_MinMax = 0x1A,0xF0

Just copy paste into a .txt and save as .ini, name it "gc_controller" and put it under sd:wiiu/controller

:3

Mugy

Does not change anything too much? I'm playing MK8 with the default USB-GC Controller configuration that HID to VPAD provides (using the Pro controller configuration), and i feel it fantastic. Does that codes improve the controller even more?

I actually want to replay Bayonetta 2 with gamecube controller

TunaLover

Does not change anything too much? I'm playing MK8 with the default USB-GC Controller configuration that HID to VPAD provides (using the Pro controller configuration), and i feel it fantastic. Does that codes improve the controller even more?

I actually want to replay Bayonetta 2 with gamecube controller
Yeah, it depends on the game in Bayonetta for example in my case she couldn't run, it happens that GCN controller deadzone is slighty narrower than Wii U Pro so it couldn't detect full presses, of course every game is coded differently so you will notice this problem only in a few.

Mugy

I'm having a problem while playing MK8 with the GCN controller. Sometimes during the race, the controller stop responding if i till the stick too much to the left or the right.

Does that have any solution?

TunaLover

RA Wii U have now XMB support
Instructions:
  • Grab the lastest nightly from libretro page
  • Delete any config file from previous versions from your sd
  • Now Download RetroArch.7z and copy the "assets" folder to sd:/retroarch/media
  • Your sd should have now sd:/retroarch/media/assets
  • In RA Wii U under settings scroll down and select directory, in "Assets" change the path to sd:/retroarch/media/assets
  • Restart/quit RA

cacildo

RA Wii U have now XMB support
Instructions:
  • Grab the lastest nightly from libretro page
  • Delete any config file from previous versions from your sd
  • Now Download RetroArch.7z and copy the "assets" folder to sd:/retroarch/media
  • Your sd should have now sd:/retroarch/media/assets
  • In RA Wii U under settings scroll down and select directory, in "Assets" change the path to sd:/retroarch/media/assets
  • Restart/quit RA

RA nightly for Wii U has been updated with netplay and updater support!
Online multiplayer gaf assemble!

Great!

Can you post the link for the " lastest nightly from libretro page"?

Platy

usb controllers, xmb and netplay in 3 following days ?

If we keep this pace by the end of the week we will have perfect dreamcast emulation =P

Top Bottom