• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

EmiPrime

YABDM worked great, I managed to rip all my VC games that are on my American Wii into fakesigned and region free wads! I made some really questionable purchases back when VC was new and exciting (KOF94? Why?) but it's good to have them backed up.

Is there a resource online that details what the ROM revisions changed? I copied to SD card Starfox 64 before I patched it because those changes were well documented bitd but I can't find anything else.

Griss

I hacked my Wii U with Haxchi so I could rip all the physical games I bought in my first year before I went all digital. Worked great.

Now I think I'll hack the vWii for Nintendont. Never bothered before as my actual Wii was hacked, but that's long packed away in a box in some other country.

So my basic question is: Will I need a separate external hard drive for my Wii U games (already have it with the games installed) and my vWii games + gamecube games? Or can you partition the hard drive etc?

The wiiu.guide site makes it seem like a separate external HDD is necessary, which is a shame, but I do have one free.

EmiPrime

I hacked my Wii U with Haxchi so I could rip all the physical games I bought in my first year before I went all digital. Worked great.

Now I think I'll hack the vWii for Nintendont. Never bothered before as my actual Wii was hacked, but that's long packed away in a box in some other country.

So my basic question is: Will I need a separate external hard drive for my Wii U games (already have it with the games installed) and my vWii games + gamecube games? Or can you partition the hard drive etc?

The wiiu.guide site makes it seem like a separate external HDD is necessary, which is a shame, but I do have one free.

I run my Gamecube games off an SD card. The Wii U file system still hasn't been cracked but you can use WiiVC injection: http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/

Basically yes, Wii U ignores partitions; but Nintendont benefits more from putting games on the SD card, since otherwise you are supposed to physically disconnect Wii U HDD. Especially now that regular Wii games can be put on that one with Wii VC injection so with big enough SD card you can skip the other drive altogether.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm trying to inject my copy of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn with the new method. I'm running into some troubles... The game uses the Wiimote sideways. How should I configure this thing so that the sideways Wiimote is mapped correctly to the Gamepad? That is, if I press up, it's up, not left.

I'm trying to inject my copy of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn with the new method. I'm running into some troubles... The game uses the Wiimote sideways. How should I configure this thing so that the sideways Wiimote is mapped correctly to the Gamepad? That is, if I press up, it's up, not left.

Have you tried CC emulation for the Gamepad ?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Have you tried CC emulation for the Gamepad ?

Yep. Both emulating the CC and emulating the horizontal Wiimote produce the same result. The mapping is "rotated": Y is A, X is B, Up is Left, etc.

I'm going to try emulating the Wiimote vertically. But each try takes me around 20-25 minutes. Creating the installable files, moving them to the SD, installing them on the Wii U :p

Yep. Both emulating the CC and emulating the horizontal Wiimote produce the same result. The mapping is "rotated": Y is A, X is B, Up is Left, etc.

I'm going to try emulating the Wiimote vertically. But each try takes me around 20-25 minutes. Creating the installable files, moving them to the SD, installing them on the Wii U :p

Is a real classic controller rotated when used live ? I seem to remember using a real CC back in the day and it working fine.

ETA-
Also the Aus region Wii Shop is taking a brutal beating today. I was grabbing the N64 titled I wanted that aren't otherwise available since it's still the best N64 emulator I'm aware of. But I've only managed to successfully download one game and the server keeps throwing Internal Server Errors at login (which is bad because this effectively hard locks the Wii U requiring power cord removal )

Joey Ravn

Banned
Is a real classic controller rotated when used live ? I seem to remember using a real CC back in the day and it working fine.

No, that's the thing. I'm using the option to emulate the CC, but even then it's rotated.

It seems CC emulation is broken with this game, from what I'm reading at GBATemp :(

No, that's the thing. I'm using the option to emulate the CC, but even then it's rotated.

It seems CC emulation is broken with this game, from what I'm reading at GBATemp :(

I had the same trouble with Fortune Street. It also primarily uses sideways Wiimote as its primary control method. I tried to emulate the Wii Remote both horizontal and vertical and both times controls would be rotated until the option was changed in game (also seems to have trouble ADDING extra Wiimotes for other players this way.

YABDM worked great, I managed to rip all my VC games that are on my American Wii into fakesigned and region free wads! I made some really questionable purchases back when VC was new and exciting (KOF94? Why?) but it's good to have them backed up.

Is there a resource online that details what the ROM revisions changed? I copied to SD card Starfox 64 before I patched it because those changes were well documented bitd but I can't find anything else.

Definitely want to try this with that ROM extractor posted on the previous page. Would be nice to have some legit and legal ROMs to use with my SNES classic (and hopefully down the line NES Classic)

Griss

So I hacked the vWii nice and easily using the WiiU homebrew channel and got USBLoaderGX and Nintendont set up. Now I just need to set up my actual external hard drive.

What's the best format to use so that I can use just the one drive for both Wii games and Gamecube ones? FAT32 doesn't have room for some of the bigger Wii games (they're over 2GB) yet Nintendont seems to require it. So what's the solution to that?

I'm on a mac, which doesn't help, but I have sporadic access to a PC.

Then my last task will be to set up a forwarder to USBLoader and to Nintendont from the Wii U menu itself. Are there any guides to that?

You should be able to split any larger than 2gb games into chunks. I used to do that years ago when fat32 first got supported over wbfs.

Madao

No, the script doesn't work for it yet.
Grab these forwarders instead:
NOT64
WiiSXR

Install with wup installer to internal memory NOT hdd.

You need sign_c2w_patcher 0.3 to unlock 1.2ghz mode in vWii, just run it through HBL before start the forwarders.

And you also need the boot.dol for WiiSXR with gamepad support (sd:/apps/wiisxr/boot.dol) and the boot.dol for NOT64 (sd:/apps/not64/boot.dol)

thanks for the help.

also, if i just run the patcher to unlock 1.2ghz mode and then boot a Wii VC game, will it work with it?

Needham

Hmm. Got a Gamecube adapter, but my Gamecube injects won't boot when it's plugged in. It just hangs on a black screen until I push a button taking me to the nintendont screen with the warning "USB FAT device could not be opened".

Seems like it might be trying to load games from the adapter instead of the USB Harddrive. The controller works in the nintendont menu, and I can boot games just fine if I unplug the adapter. Not sure what the problem is here.

Hmm. Got a Gamecube adapter, but my Gamecube injects won't boot when it's plugged in. It just hangs on a black screen until I push a button taking me to the nintendont screen with the warning "USB FAT device could not be opened".

Seems like it might be trying to load games from the adapter instead of the USB Harddrive. The controller works in the nintendont menu, and I can boot games just fine if I unplug the adapter. Not sure what the problem is here.

Is it an official GameCube adaptor or a 3rd party one ? If it's a 3rd party one make sure it's not in PC mode which causes it to report as a generic USB controller hub .

Needham

Do you have any USB hard drives plugged in ? Might want to try without them.
But that's where the game is installed. Can I not install my GameCube injects to usb and use a USB controller?

EDIT
Now none of my GameCube games load even without the GameCube adapter plugged in. They just takes me to the nintendont menu, and if I try to boot from USB I get the same "USB FAT device could not be opened" error. I don't know what's going on anymore.

EDIT2
Ok, so if I choose SD instead of USB it gives me the option to load included games, which works. But now I don't get why my games no longer autoboot. Whatever, at least I can play with the GameCube controller now. EDIT AGAIN Nope, now I have no memory cards for some reason.

But that's where the game is installed. Can I not install my GameCube injects to usb and use a USB controller?

EDIT
Now none of my Gamecube games load even without the GameCube adapter plugged in. They just takes me to the nintendont menu, and if I try to boot from USB I get the same "USB FAT device could not be opened" error. I don't know what's going on anymore.

Are you using an injected Nintendont general launcher or are you injecting a GC game to launch with Nintendont ?

General Nintendont is best used with the GameCube games on the SD card and the Wii U HDD and possibly your HDD for Wii backups disconnected, it's possible (but not officially Nintendont supported) to have them plugged in, with the right tools and order.

If you're directly injecting GC games , Nintendont still needs to be on the SD card but you shouldn't have to worry about the other stuff, but move the game to internal storage and unplug the other HDDs to be sure.

Needham

Are you using an injected Nintendont general launcher or are you injecting a GC game to launch with Nintendont ?

General Nintendont is best used with the GameCube games on the SD card and the Wii U HDD and possibly your HDD for Wii backups disconnected, it's possible (but not officially Nintendont supported) to have them plugged in, with the right tools and order.

If you're directly injecting GC games , Nintendont still needs to be on the SD card but you shouldn't have to worry about the other stuff, but move the game to internal storage and unplug the other HDDs to be sure.
I'm injecting them directly as Wii games using the injector script. I was playing everything fine with the Wii U gamepad for the last few days, but now that I've tried to use the Mayflash Gamecube Adapter everything is wonky. Nothing will autoboot anymore. I've managed to get games to boot with autoboot turned off (when it randomly decides that autoboot is off) and choosing SD and booting the included game, but my nintendont settings seem to keep changing everytime I boot a game. I just have no idea what's even going on here anymore.

EDIT
Ah, when it fails to autoboot I can use the home button to open up the options to choose the source for the game at least, so I don't have to reboot everytime it fails to autoboot. EDIT2 Nope that doesn't work. Just resets for some reason when I tried that EDIT3 Now it's not autobooting again, but all my settings are reset again. So weird. EDIT4 Next time I boot it tries to autoboot and fail again, and I have completely different settings than last time.

TunaLover

I'm injecting them directly as Wii games using the injector script. I was playing everything fine with the Wii U gamepad for the last few days, but now that I've tried to use the Mayflash Gamecube Adapter everything is wonky. Nothing will autoboot anymore. I've managed to get games to boot with autoboot turned off (when it randomly decides that autoboot is off) and choosing SD and booting the included game, but my nintendont settings seem to keep changing everytime I boot a game. I just have no idea what's even going on here anymore.

EDIT
Ah, when it fails to autoboot I can use the home button to open up the options to choose the source for the game at least, so I don't have to reboot everytime it fails to autoboot. EDIT2 Nope that doesn't work. Just resets for some reason when I tried that EDIT3 Now it's not autobooting again, but all my settings are reset again. So weird. EDIT4 Next time I boot it tries to autoboot and fail again, and I have completely different settings than last time.
Maybe your nincfg is corrupted?
Do you enable some video patch?
If it still doesn't work, delete your nincfg, it will create a new one, and start from it.

Needham

Maybe your nincfg is corrupted?
Do you enable some video patch?
If it still doesn't work, delete your nincfg, it will create a new one, and start from it.
Nope that doesn't work. nincfg.bin not found then reboot. But I made a blank text file and renamed it nincfg.bin and it boots with that, but I still sometimes get autoboot with really weird settings like maxpads is set to 169877536. I think it's the same weird settings everytime at least, so it's not random. It's just random when it decides whether to load default settings or weird settings.

Might just try reinstalling my games with the autoboot option in the injector script set to no and just live without autoboot.

EDIT
Installed a game without the autoboot option. Seems to work every time and load the proper settings too. Why my autobooting games randomly work and don't work will have to remain a mystery for now. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Has there been anything released that fixes the resolution for vWii that makes it sharper looking? GCN games look great but everything else in vWii at least the official stuff looks blurry.

TunaLover

The last bastion of vWii resistence has been defeated, now you can boot VC/WiiWares from Wii U menu (the only downside is you need have the VC/WiiWare channel in internal Wii memory, and we know how small that fridge is lol). You can have everything on the Wii U menu now Gamepad support if it applies blah blah, still early release, there's no script for it "yet".

As bonus, conflicting Wii VC games as RE4 that didn't support Gamepad controls should be working now, it was due early Nintendo's SDK handled the Wiimote attachment in a different way. No script for it either yet.

Ninja Dom

Are any company’s/people making their own Wii U games that aren’t Nintendo approved??

Much like how NG Dev Team still make Neo Geo games??

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
The last bastion of vWii resistence has been defeated, now you can boot VC/WiiWares from Wii U menu (the only downside is you need have the VC/WiiWare channel in internal Wii memory, and we know how small that fridge is lol). You can have everything on the Wii U menu now Gamepad support if it applies blah blah, still early release, there's no script for it "yet".

As bonus, conflicting Wii VC games as RE4 that didn't support Gamepad controls should be working now, it was due early Nintendo's SDK handled the Wiimote attachment in a different way. No script for it either yet.

Woah. I wonder if at some point we'll simply be able to boot the Wii channel in "Gamepad mode" and run everything in the sandboxed Wii mode with gamepad control without have to patch / re-install the game individually. That'd be awesome.

Are any company's/people making their own Wii U games that aren't Nintendo approved??

Much like how NG Dev Team still make Neo Geo games??
Nope, really the tools aren't there yet to make significant progress without the official development kits so far. Additionally the Wii U doesn't accept burned media of any kind so physical releases aren't happening either, the stuff we're getting right now is more towards opening up the hardware and letting you do whatever, not really game development aside from small demos or port jobs.

Very very interesting.. Is Nintendont on Wi iU a completely separate entity to the Wii version, or is it the same shared app just accessed via two different methods?

Also, I read up a lot about this, does Nintendont accessed on Wii U still result in a total hard lock up of the system when exiting games which means you need to pull the plug out?

Very very interesting.. Is Nintendont on Wi iU a completely separate entity to the Wii version, or is it the same shared app just accessed via two different methods?

Also, I read up a lot about this, does Nintendont accessed on Wii U still result in a total hard lock up of the system when exiting games which means you need to pull the plug out?

It's the same app just using WiiVC rather than vWii, that allows slightly different use cases.

EmiPrime

No for me it goes back to the Wii U menu but without the haxchi patches applied.

No for me it goes back to the Wii U menu but without the haxchi patches applied.

It's the same app just using WiiVC rather than vWii, that allows slightly different use cases.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I'm still going through many forum posts and developments from September trying to catch up to where we're at now and it seemed the hard locking aspect was quite the issue. I didn't want to dive in with that happening... I had a lot of trouble with that using USB Loader GX a while ago.

Jigolo

HELP ME.

Dang guys I know I'm so close to getting this done but I've come across an error. I've been following this guide that a gaffer suggested and it was working flawlessly. I got haxchi installed and the next step was to launch WUPinstaller and install home brew channel to nand and that's where i run into trouble. I skipped the firmware blocking step fyi but I'm on this page https://wiiu.guide/homebrew-launcher-(channel). When I try to install i get an error about "Verify WUP files are correct & complete. DLC/E-Shop require sig". I've tried googling and only confused me more with some rednand talk. Any ideas

Honestly if I can skip this step I would. All I'm trying to get Melee on this thing and I know that just requires nintendont or something

I am pretty sure regular brain age was cheaper than academy

Yeah but it's only a couple of dollars (I got Brain Age ages ago and was using it for Haxchi and converted it to CBHC, grabbed Academy this month so I'd a backup Haxchi in case I needed to disable CBHC for some reason).

TLZ

Banned
I'm hoping I could get help in here.

I've done regionhax so I could play my PAL disc games region free on my US Wii U. It worked and out of the many discs I've tried, only 2 didn't work and I've no idea why. Wii Party U (gives me a please clean disc etc error) and Star Fox (Black screen freeze after initial run).

Any ideas? I thought Regionhax would run every game no problems since it only changes a number (in my case 2 to 119). Is haxchi a better option? I don't want to go through it and not get those 2 to work. I honestly wanted to stay away from haxchi and keeping my system "clean". All I care about is region free. I was using Ourloader before but it's not reliable as well and had the same issue with Star Fox, which is what made me try Regionhax.

Edit:. I managed to get the games work with Spiik home-brew.

I was hoping iwouldnt have to resort to running hbl every time, but better than nothing I guess.

kuYuri

Question, can I use my current 3DS microSD card and put it into my Wii U via an adapter and re-use the same card for homebrews or do I need a brand new dedicated SD card? In other words, am I able to switch between both systems using the same card with no issues?

Thorzilla

So I've been doing some research about homebrewing my WiiU basically because I want to rip all my games to my console so I can move it to my new place and leave games at my parents'. However, I haven't found a convincing answer yet.

I have my Nintendo account currently associated with my WiiU and I don't want to get banned, especially since I use my Switch often.

I don't plan on connecting my WiiU online since I only have offline games but, what are the risks of installing a custom firmware? Can I / will I get banned?

Madao

Question, can I use my current 3DS microSD card and put it into my Wii U via an adapter and re-use the same card for homebrews or do I need a brand new dedicated SD card? In other words, am I able to switch between both systems using the same card with no issues?

as long as there's space, there should be no problem. the files don't conflict with each other and the filesystem is the same.

Question.

Is there any way to have the Gamepad act as a Classic Controller in Wii mode while the Wii Mode is outputted to the screen?

Since Wii mode allows you to mirror the video feed on the Gamepad is there any way to then use the Gamepad to control all these Wii titles

Maybe even GameCube titles?

Thanks for any responses.

Question.

Is there any way to have the Gamepad act as a Classic Controller in Wii mode while the Wii Mode is outputted to the screen?

Since Wii mode allows you to mirror the video feed on the Gamepad is there any way to then use the Gamepad to control all these Wii titles

Maybe even GameCube titles?

Thanks for any responses.

You can do this with WiiVC injects currently (including for GC titles). AFAIK it's not possible in vWii mode.

W. L. Saga

Neo Member
Any way to set my Wii U Pro Controller as Player 1 and the GamePad as Player 2 in the GameCube injects? My gamepad's left analogue is slitly tilting to the left and it's screwing me up in games like MKDD or Mario Sunshine.

Any way to set my Wii U Pro Controller as Player 1 and the GamePad as Player 2 in the GameCube injects? My gamepad's left analogue is slitly tilting to the left and it's screwing me up in games like MKDD or Mario Sunshine.

Nope. You can disable the GamePad totally but that's the limit. At least last I checked. WiiVC was advancing pretty rapidly at the time.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Nope. You can disable the GamePad totally but that's the limit. At least last I checked. WiiVC was advancing pretty rapidly at the time.

When you mean "disable the GamePad", do you mean not having it emulate a Classic Controller by default (so it behaves like any legit Wii game without CC support), or use the option to not display the game on the gamepad (and so the system then tells you to point the Wiimote at the screen, etc.)

If it's the former, then I'm highly interested in know how to do it! :D

Top Bottom