• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

Joey Ravn

Banned
But ... will we need this when actual homebrew channel drops ?

I never saw any homebrew that needed THE USER to have this kinda of info

The installation of the A9HL exploit on 3DS involves (or involved until very recently on N3DS) a downgrade to OFW 2.0 to be able to dump the OTP, needed to install the hack itself back in OFW 9.2.

For the time being, this ELF only prints the keys on screen. It doesn't create a file just yet. But you'll probably need it to install a permanent CFW à la 3DS.

Z..

Okay guys, just bought Trauma Team, what app do I use for playing this on my PAL Wii U?

Also, any Wii U compatible N64 emulators? Wii64 doesn't work... wanna replay Goemon and I'd much rather play this stuff with a CCP than my actual N64 pad.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Okay guys, just bought Trauma Team, what app do I use for playing this on my PAL Wii U?

Also, any Wii U compatible N64 emulators? Wii64 doesn't work... wanna replay Goemon and I'd much rather play this stuff with a CCP than my actual N64 pad.

There's no N64 emulator, but you can inject your ROM into a Virtual Console game and play it using the official N64 emulator by Nintendo. You can even turn off the nasty filtering options and restore the proper color of the game!

Joey Ravn

Banned
There are some reports on GBATemp of a Brazilian group that has, allegedly, managed to install unsigned content through USB.

wiiu-jpg.66365

As I said, it's only rumors for the time being.

Platy

There are some reports on GBATemp of a Brazilian group that has, allegedly, managed to install unsigned content through USB.

wiiu-jpg.66365

As I said, it's only rumors for the time being.

Any link or name of said brazilian group ?

I am brazilian and I can translate what they are saying ...

Joey Ravn

Banned
Btw if I may ask, are you simply an observer in all of this homebrew stuff or do you also write code and/or contribute in other ways?

I'm just a cub reporter, à la Jimmy Olsen. I have absolutely no coding skills (my trade couldn't be farther away from it!), so I just relay the information I get from GBATemp, Reddit, Twitter, etc. and post it here :p

If I could code, though... I'd be all over this stuff. I love the scene more than I like playing games, if that makes any sense.

Retrobox

I'm just a cub reporter, à la Jimmy Olsen. I have absolutely no coding skills (my trade couldn't be farther away from it!), so I just relay the information I get from GBATemp, Reddit, Twitter, etc. and post it here :p

If I could code, though... I'd be all over this stuff. I love the scene more than I like playing games, if that makes any sense.

Oh yeah I totally get that. I noticed myself that I was having more fun figuring out how to solve problems getting my homebrew apps to run than playing the average game. It makes me feel like a detective and it's satisfying as heck to pull through. Pretty funny how that works.

It's a shame I never tinkered around with electronic devices and computers like Iwata did when he was really young. Maybe if I had, I'd now be leading us into the promised land of homebrew. But oh well.

Anyway, spreading the word and raising awareness is actually a really useful contribution to the scene and I'm sure people really appreciate it. I know I do!

Joey Ravn

Banned
Some more info regarding the Brazilian group and their USB loading from folks over at GBATemp:

Update from the brazilian facebook group.
Mario Kart 8 installed and running online, claims the OP from the fb post.

Phineas and Ferb was the first game injected. Mario Kart the second.

OP also said that it's a "dangerous process that might brick your Wii U".

No one knows how to do it, but the source is trustable.

You forgot that post from the admin. I'll translate it here:
- Games run via USB
- Region Lock
- Files are uncompressed (dunno what this means)
- Probably not all games will work (because of region locking and other limitations)
- Since there's no firm protection, emunand, or public cfw, a new update might patch this but you might be able to continue with any installed titles.
- The WUD is needed, and probably the Wii U access key or something like this to decrypt the game

And a video of the alleged thing in theoretical action.

And more photos of the supposed hack in apparent action:

People are claiming that it will be released "soon" and that there's a new video coming up in a few minutes. I'll update the post to reflect that once it's out.

As always, take everything with a pinch of SALT.

I mean, salt. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Edit: The second video. It's very potato quality, but it shows Mario Kart 8 installed on the Wii U, but not purchased on the eShop.

marmoka

Banned
Some more info regarding the Brazilian group and their USB loading from folks over at GBATemp:

And a video of the alleged thing in theoretical action.

And more photos of the supposed hack in apparent action:

People are claiming that it will be released "soon" and that there's a new video coming up in a few minutes. I'll update the post to reflect that once it's out.

As always, take everything with a pinch of SALT.

I mean, salt. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I hope we get news about USB hard drives soon. Using SD cards makes loading screens slow as hell.

Also, it would be nice to know if we can play games in Wii mode and Wii U mode with the same USB hard drive.

Get hyped everyone!!

Joey Ravn

Banned
A new video is going up in a short while... Will post it here once it's out!

Edit: Video's here.

He removes the SD card, he removes the game and has the external drive unplugged. There's only one game installed (TLoZ:TWWHD). He turns off the Wii U and plugs the HDD. Super Mario 3D World and Phineas & Pherb appear. He boots up Mario Kart 8 and goes to the eShop, which shows that the game is not bought on that account.

Edit 2: Another new video. This time they are teasing the installation process.

Edit 3: Another video...

Joey Ravn

Banned
The latest video posted by the Brazilian devs, showing pretty much everything there is to show to prove this thing is real (except for the installation process, which was teased in a previous video). Even more games are shown now: Bayonetta, Smash and a few more.

I can't wait to rip my 12 physical Wii U games and finally have them all on my HDD :p

Joey Ravn

Banned
Hmm, no region free and risky installation process? I'm not excited, but surely it can be improved?

For what it's worth, it seems that they are using a modified version of WUDInstaller, which was used to install legit Wii U updates. I'm assuming that the process is risky because you have to make sure you're using the proper files for your region, much like the downgrade process for 3DS to install A9HL was risky because you needed to be sure you were using the correct firmware version for your region.

They are promising new videos and info soon...

Lazaro

The latest video posted by the Brazilian devs, showing pretty much everything there is to show to prove this thing is real (except for the installation process, which was teased in a previous video). Even more games are shown now: Bayonetta, Smash and a few more.

I can't wait to rip my 12 physical Wii U games and finally have them all on my HDD :p

AMEN

I've been waiting for Wii U homebrew since the time fail0verflow were looking into Wii U exploits.

i-Jest

Once the process is perfected, and Nintendo stops supporting the Wii U officially, I'll most likely hop on this to save on laser life.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Once the process is perfected, and Nintendo stops supporting the Wii U officially, I'll most likely hop on this to save on laser life.

You can hop in right now, if you want. The latest Wii U update was on January 2016, so it's not like Nintendo is actively combating kernel exploits... And as long as you keep buying the games Nintendo puts out, you're still supporting the platform. Just making it easier for you to play your games, and tailoring the experience to your liking.

Besides, injecting games to the VC emulators is great :)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Where do you guys get the 3D covers for DS games in Loadiine?

Joey Ravn

Banned
"The stuff" (because I don't want to call it a proper exploit) the Brazilian devs have been talking about has been released on GBATemp, as well as their private group. I managed to get access to the files, but given the nature of "the stuff", I can't post it here.

"The stuff" is actually a modified WUP Installer and some pre-patched games. I'll go to sleep now and see how everything has gone so far when I wake up. I'm not going to install anything without other people having a go at it first to confirm it's safe :p

Platy

MEH

This will only work with pirated games ... so I doubt stuff like retroarch is ported with this as method of instalation...

So ... wake me up when they have a proper homebrew channel =(

synce

Meh, piracy was already possible. They're just using USB instead of SD now? I'm hoping to see a true CFW sometime this year

Joey Ravn

Banned
I know it's nothing that we couldn't already do with Loadiine, but I'm glad to be able to (partially) migrate my physical collection to digital copies. ATM I'm severely underutilizing my Wii U's HDD :p

As for a proper CFW... SALT is working on that and, if what some members of the team have said, they are nearing the final stages of the process. They just have to pretty everything up, make the process safer to perform and it'll be ready for release.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Same, give me IOSU and Retroarch on my gamepad. This is nice for preserving the laser but I want homebrew.

Ditto.
Tho to be fair I know that when I have games installed I usually play them more so it's good to hit the backlog.
But region lock makes it hard to get excited, I would've loved being able to play Puyo Tetris online...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So with the previous Loadiine hack, we have SNES, NES, GBA and DS through VC injection, right? I've been gone for a while.

Platy

So with the previous Loadiine hack, we have SNES, NES, GBA and DS through VC injection, right? I've been gone for a while.

And N64 .... but the compatibility is not THAT good

Neither Okamiden or Pokemon Black/White works on the DS VC injects, for example

JaseMath

Question: Is there any kind of hack available for me to load my Wii VC games directly from the Wii U menu?

I ask because it's such a pain in the ass to have power on the Wii U, load the Wii interface, go thorough the Wii menu, and finally into the SD library where all my VC purchases are stored. The process is needlessly complicated; it would be great if I could just load them up with one action.

Platy

Question: Is there any kind of hack available for me to load my Wii VC games directly from the Wii U menu?

Without full acess to the WiiU (the usb thing that will allow for emulators that we are talking) there is no way to do anything with the wiiu menu or wii games in wiiu mode.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Same, give me IOSU and Retroarch on my gamepad. This is nice for preserving the laser but I want homebrew.

Here's something funny: there's actually a public IOSU exploit out there, and it has been available for some time now. There are even some tools available from Smealum (of 3DS fame), including redNAND (a redirected NAND, like emuNAND on 3DS). Nobody has taken the time to further develop the exploit and implement those tools so far.

Well, SALT is allegedly doing so, it seems.

Seik

Banned
Quick question.

Can we make the Wii U region free via homebrew?

If yes, I'm importing a PAL copy of Fast Racing NEO right now and I hack my Wii U today since I don't even play online anymore.

With the Switch coming...time to tickle with it, rip my games and test Cemu as well.

Robin64

Quick question.

If yes, I'm importing a PAL copy of Fast Racing NEO right now and I hack my Wii U today since I don't even play online anymore.

With the Switch coming...time to tickle with it, rip my games and test Cemu as well.

You can use the Loadiine browser exploit to dump that disc to your computer, then copy the files to an SD card and have Loadiine boot it from there. Region doesn't matter for 95% of cases, though sometimes you may need to modify a file.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Quick question.

There's also OurLoader, which is used from the HBL and doesn't require you to dump your game. I think it also supports online play, which Loadiine doesn''t.

Loadiine's shortcomings are really starting to show these days...

Seik

Banned
Thanks guys.

frnabbiy.png

Will get to work today! :D

EDIT: It was a fun ride, I managed to rip my Mario Kart 8 disc and tried it with Cemu, it's impressive how well it runs already for an emulator that's only a year old! :O

epmode

I just want access to USB HDDs and an easier way to rip my games* to the HDD. It's so wonderful on 3DS!

*the current method which goes over the Wii U's wireless signal to a PC is ridiculously slow and error-prone

Anony

i'm waiting for a proper usb loader
the Brazilian hack/trick is nice and all, but i'd rather have an openly formatted hdd that i can plug and play into anything for versatility

Joey Ravn

Banned
This sounds like something I've encountered with Wii homebrew. Is this the holy grail or something?

This is the gist of things:

A IOSU exploit has been available for the public for some time now.
Smealum, of 3DS fame, wrote a series of IOSU tools, including a redNAND (redirected NAND), but never worked on them. They are free to be used by anyone, though.
Two different groups, WiiUBru and SALT, have been working on developing and implementing this IOSU exploit to create a CFW, etc. It seems WiiUBru is using Smea's tools.

Hopefully that "Soon" is not the "Soon"...

Retrobox

This is the gist of things:

A IOSU exploit has been available for the public for some time now.
Smealum, of 3DS fame, wrote a series of IOSU tools, including a redNAND (redirected NAND), but never worked on them. They are free to be used by anyone, though.
Two different groups, WiiUBru and SALT, have been working on developing and implementing this IOSU exploit to create a CFW, etc. It seems WiiUBru is using Smea's tools.

Hopefully that "Soon" is not the "Soon"...

Oh wow, that sounds extremely juicy. Practically THE moment people have been waiting for if I understand correctly. I'm already excited at the prospect of the Wii U being blown wide open, but apparently the community has been lead like this quite a few times in the past, so I guess I shouldn't get hyped *just* yet.
But fingers crossed!

Top Bottom