• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Information Thread

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
AniHawk said:
so daily impression thing since there's no actual thread for it.

got in early and in line for cafe right at the start of the day. still calling it cafe since the line was for 'new console.'

at 12:15, some guy came by and told us they had reached capacity for the day. people in line would not get to see the controller/system. fuck.

so i go over to skyward sword to see the changes made. game looks great, and the animation is fantastic. didn't play a lot of it- some assholes cut in the line and by the time it got to me i didn't care that i only played half a demo. people interested in this game probably should like motion controls since they're used for everything.

i checked out some 3ds stuff. super mario 3d was okay, but it controls exactly like super mario 64 ds does on the 3ds. even if you use the slide pad, it's digital. you have to hold down a button in order to run. bullshit. wasn't too crazy about the level design either.

played star fox 64 and ocarina of time. both were nice. strangely enough they had the best use of the 3d for me. it didn't feel so forced.

before i left the nintendo booth, i checked out kirby wii. it was okay. in multiplayer, the game only recognizes kirby as the character to go through doors and the like (also, if kirby dies, it appears the other characters die too).

on my way out, i noticed a wii u being passed around, so i got my hands on one. the thing is fucking huge, but comfortable only because it's not heavy. the biggest problem i have with it, and it's a big, big issue, is that the controller has two slide pads. it feels wrong. when i asked one of the guys at the booth, he basically said that's just the direction they're going now. so that's bullshit too, and a serious amount of bullshit. i'm expecting many a modded wii u in the future.

anyway, i left the west hall after playing the ratchet & clank game. again, it was okay. one problem i had was an apparent lack of drop in/drop out. the other was that it felt more tools of destruction than a crack in time.

so the day kinda sucked eggs for the first two and a half hours. once i entered the south hall, the day improved greatly. first, i played sonic generations 3ds and hd. the 3ds version had unfortunately long load times for some reason. looking forward to the hd version though.

then i went over to the ubisoft booth and HOLY SHIT MICHEL ANCEL WAS THERE AND I SHOOK HIS HAND AND STUFF! :D :D :D then i went to play rayman origins and had a smile on my face the whole time. it's extremely charming and the right amount of difficulty (with less 'i want to kill you' than found in nsmbw). easily the best game of the day.

kinda wandered around a bit until i saw a trailer for el shaddai on a tv and for some reason thought it would be at the capcom booth. so i went back to the west hall. yeah, it wasn't there, so i went to the sony booth. there were lines for everything there and the day was winding down so i wouldn't get to see anything. so i ran out the clock in the 3ds area again.

it was really weird. while i was waiting for kid icarus, i see this weird guy take a picture with some poor soul (because the weird guy looked like he had just come back from some satisfying serial killin'), and the guy he was taking a picture with was yuji naka! naka starts playing the game and bill trinen comes up to talk to one of the guys at the booth. then he turns around to walk away and runs right into kobun heat. all this happened in about the span of a minute.

anyway, kid icarus was surprisingly better than i expected. the gameplay looks slow in the trailers, but works pretty well in practice. however, i can totally see that it was originally a wii game, and i think it would have been far, far better as one. i was also a bit surprised that the voice acting was actually not terrible either.

played mario kart. yep, it's mario kart. with coins for some reason (never seemed to matter in the demo but whatever). played resident evil revelations. got attacked by thirty regenerator things with leech-mouths. then i left.

Dang, I didn't know the WiiU had slide pads. What a shame, that compromise should only be made with handhelds. I need muh sticks.

The comment about Super Mario is also troubling since SM64DS's controls kinda sucked.

Nice post, though.

Nickoten

Neo Member
Didn't IGN say the analogs sticks were like those on the nunchucks?

Edit: Nevermind, they said the slide pad was better than the 3DS's. Lame.

dankir

So is it really confirmed that you can only have 1 tablet as a controller on the Wii U? I would understand if that's only the case for streaming games so that you can play them on them directly off the controller.

But surely 2 people with controllers can sync it to up the same Wii U system right ? They have to have multiple players use their controllers as a secondary screen. Right?

Also can I just plug my Wii U into an electrical outlet and play the games on the controller? does it even have to be connected to a TV?

I don't like how the headphone jack is on the top of the unit. This means the wire will have to be somewhat awkwardly behind the system. I can just picture the wire hitting my left hand and annoying me. seems pretty obvious to me that it should be on the bottom.

Withnail

The confusion in the multiple WiiU threads on GAF and elsewhere is a sign of how badly Nintendo have handled this. It's quite uncharacteristic for them but I really think they've messed up this reveal.

However I believe the console itself is a stroke of genius and is going to be very successful for them, once more people actually realise what it is. It offers a perfect upgrade path for all those current Wii owners and yet is still something new and interesting. And I say this as someone who is definitely not a big Nintendo fan (I don't own a Wii or DS of any description).

Well at least they put real triggers on the controller. Didn't think it was a new console just a controller, I'm hyped now.

Withnail said:
The confusion in the multiple WiiU threads on GAF and elsewhere is a sign of how badly Nintendo have handled this. It's quite uncharacteristic for them but I really think they've messed up this reveal.

However I believe the console itself is a stroke of genius and is going to be very successful for them, once more people actually realise what it is. It offers a perfect upgrade path for all those current Wii owners and yet is still something new and interesting. And I say this as someone who is definitely not a big Nintendo fan (I don't own a Wii or DS of any description).

Yeah I agree. The reveal was such a big mess. I'm not a casual gamer but even I was confused and dazed after the big reveal. Everyone was expecting a more rounded showcase, focusing on the controller, added power, online, etc., but the conference pretty much missed the boat and just focused on the controller.

But the console itself is a welcome change in the right direction for me. Cannot wait to see Nintendo characters in HD!!!!!!

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
wsippel said:
Probably already mentioned, but Ken Levine pretty much confirmed Bioshock Infinite for Wii U. ...
bioshock Infinite WiiU. best version. confirmed. thx.

-----

Does this thing have a compass?

Snuggler said:
Dang, I didn't know the WiiU had slide pads. What a shame, that compromise should only be made with handhelds. I need muh sticks.

The comment about Super Mario is also troubling since SM64DS's controls kinda sucked.

Nice post, though.
In retrospect, I had played all the demos at the Wii U booth and didn't have an issue with the circle pads on the games I tried.

Posted from the Wii Hands-On Impressions Thread:
donkey show said:
Didn't have an issue playing SMB Mii, Battle Mii, Ghost Recon and Chase Mii demo with the slide pad today. Don't get me wrong, it does feel weird because you're expecting analogs, but I felt like I didn't lack any accuracy. That could be because I'm used to the 3DS though. It did feel tighter in comparison to the 3DS one IMO.

And here are some off-screen vids of some of the tech demos that were there:

Battle Mii: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3S3ruB2RO4

KE0Pf.png

2v1 deathmatch, 2 players play as Miis with Samus' Chozo Armor with wiimote/chucks on the big screen and try to shoot down the tablet controlled Samus ship that's aiming to kill them.

Chase Mii: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJU4UQ4hl4g

fSPRl.png

4v1 minigame, 4 wiimote controlled Toads track and chase down a tablet controlled Mario player who can see their position on the map (and the Toads must rely on their teamwork in tracking him without a map).

NSMB Mii: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y5CD6sUxY8

jetjevons said:
Vid of the Japanese Garden tech demo taken with iPhone 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OHUwDShrD4

Haven't seen many HQ vids of this demo so dunno if it is worthy of being added to the OP. It looked very impressive running in real time.
The lighting on that when the hawk was flying into the sunset woods was great!
I've always had a soft spot for good lighting...
And according to reggie it was an old devkit that was used to make it

donkey show said:
Don't see why it wouldn't be considering the system is coming out in the middle of next year.

It won't be at TGS, but I'm sure Nintendo will give the system its true coming out at Nintendo's fall conference.

Seda

Ookami-kun said:
Is TGS early for Wii U game announcements?
A developer could announce that they will support the system, but I wouldn't expect something more detailed than that.

Raist

Banned
They seriously should have waited until TGS (well their equivalent conf) to unveil it. Felt incredibly tacked on. It's probably because of the leak, but in the end it was like the poorest home console unveiling ever.
Not sure about the whole philosophy behind it either. They're a couple of years late IMO.

Raist said:
They seriously should have waited until TGS (well their equivalent conf) to unveil it. Felt incredibly tacked on. It's probably because of the leak, but in the end it was like the poorest home console unveiling ever.
Not sure about the whole philosophy behind it either. They're a couple of years late IMO.

I strongly disagree with you, I found it very exciting and enough of a tease to start a huge buzz around the system. I have a couple of questions for Gaf:

1) Do you think this might come out next holiday season? It looks a little early for next spring, both for Nintendo and developers.

2) Have we learnt how the controller works? Is it possible to stream every game from tv to controller? How can they do that? (even in the same room, i thought it was very hard to accomplish) what tech are they using?

Red UFO

Annoying Old Party Man said:
I strongly disagree with you, I found it very exciting and enough of a tease to start a huge buzz around the system. I have a couple of questions for Gaf:

1) Do you think this might come out next holiday season? It looks a little early for next spring, both for Nintendo and developers.

2) Have we learnt how the controller works? Is it possible to stream every game from tv to controller? How can they do that? (even in the same room, i thought it was very hard to accomplish) what tech are they using?
1) Yes, I reckon it will be next holiday, gives us another E3 which I'm pretty sure will be the fanboy's wetdream E3.

2) Yes they can, all processing is done on the console itself so all they're doing is streaming a lower resolution video.

Red UFO said:
1) Yes, I reckon it will be next holiday, gives us another E3 which I'm pretty sure will be the fanboy's wetdream E3.

2) Yes they can, all processing is done on the console itself so all they're doing is streaming a lower resolution video.

Regarding one, this is why I think people's reactions regarding the unveiling are pure nonsense.

It was exciting, and gave you just enough information to confirm all we needed to know:

- It will be powerful enough
- It will have strong third party support (at least in the beginning)
- The controller will do all that was hypothesized and speculated and things that were not even thought off (like wiimote - wiiu controller synergy)
- There will be cross play between wiiu and 3DS

All the rest will be filled next E3, and appropriately so, If they are poised to launch next winter.

Mista Koo

(There are a lot of Wii U threads that it's confusing, so I'll post this here as well).

My first impressions aside from the name (which I laughed at for a while) I thought this was perfect. Combining Wii with Vita? Win. Add in multiplatform titles (and perhaps iOS games) and this seems like the perfect console to me.

I think Nintendo raised the bar for innovation with the Wii and DS that anything they make now won't look as good. 3DS has nifty gimmicky features, but this has more new/novel games opportunity.

But then I realized that we are still on this generation, unless this can hold better than the Dreamcast did I can see it failing (not necessary from a commercial POV). Maybe this was better off as an add-on on the Wii? (not sure).

My only other concern is if the controller is comfortable for regular games, seems like a huge downgrade.

IrishNinja

quick dumb question: Wu should be fully GC backwards compatible in theory, yeah? at least as far as games, since it looks like there's no controller ports (i might finally have to retire the controllers/wavebird...they had a godo run). might finally be time to grab a classic controller...would it be possible to make that a default GC game controller too? i really dont wanna have to hook up any more old systems to enjoy my library.

Tenbatsu said:
Sorry but what is the difference between a slide pad and an analog stick?
Basically, the Wii U's analog "sliders" are similar in concept to the slide pad that's on the 3DS. However, IGN said in their preview that the Wii U's slide pads had some differences from the 3DS'.

IGN said:
One of the more interesting alterations to conventional design is the system features two analog sliders at the top of the controller rather than traditional sticks. Don't make the mistake of thinking these sliders are like the 3DS "circle pad." The texture and top shape of the sliders are much more akin to Wii's nunchuk, meaning the grip and precision of movement are much better.

Name is quite silly, but it seems that's a modern day trend!

I didn't love the controller at first, but then I watched Nintendo's conference, and that has me a bit more excited than just the initial details. I think the screen size is a bit excessive, but as long the controller is pretty lightweight, that's really a nonissue. I do think analog sticks would be better than the sliders, but there's not much you can do about that.

I'm certainly intrigued. I look forward to more announcements in the future.

IrishNinja said:
quick dumb question: Wu should be fully GC backwards compatible in theory, yeah? at least as far as games, since it looks like there's no controller ports (i might finally have to retire the controllers/wavebird...they had a godo run). might finally be time to grab a classic controller...would it be possible to make that a default GC game controller too? i really dont wanna have to hook up any more old systems to enjoy my library.
It's not GC-compatible as far as I'm aware. Wii games, yes.

Sorry if old but I think this is it than......

http://www.vg247.com/2011/06/08/wii-u-controller-wont-be-sold-seprately-confirms-nintendo/
Wii U controller won’t be sold seprately, confirms Nintendo

Nintendo’s confirmed that the tablet controller for Wii U won’t be sold as a separate device, and will be packaged as one unit with the console.

“Both the controller and the console will be sold as one unit. You won’t be able to buy the controller alone,” a rep told CVG.

Nintendo also said that multiplayer games for the console is being made to use one tablet controller, while other users will need to use a Wiimote.

I'm sorry Nintendo but that is just DUMB..... seriously !!!!!
so if you want a MP game for wii u you have design around the wii u controller and the wii motes.
Thats it than, so no COD/NAME YOU SHOOTER HERE splitscreen or any kind of mp on the WiiU.....

IrishNinja

Shake Appeal said:
It's not GC-compatible as far as I'm aware. Wii games, yes.

bububut duct tape and same parts and aww fuck i wanna be able to still play REmake and WW and Killer7 and such on this thing!

ps why are people sweating the "no standalone tablet" thing already? dont dumb things like that get said way before launch? does anyone really think they're not gonna want to make more $ on peripherals when things get going?

IrishNinja said:
bububut duct tape and same parts and aww fuck i wanna be able to still play REmake and WW and Killer7 and such on this thing!

ps why are people sweating the "no standalone tablet" thing already? dont dumb things like that get said way before launch? does anyone really think they're not gonna want to make more $ on peripherals when things get going?

The new drive might have issues reading GC media would be my guess. Either that, or they didn't want to add GC controller ports and memory card slots.

IrishNinja

oh god its this guy again
sup bro

bishopcruz said:
The new drive might have issues reading GC media would be my guess. Either that, or they didn't want to add GC controller ports and memory card slots.

not that they gotta pander to my odd needs here, but im not against buying a USB peripheral like i did with the PS3 for memory cards. you're right about that not solving the disc problem...i just wanted to see if there was confirmation either way on this, and im assuming there's not yet. almost wish Geoff would've asked, but there's time.

Detox

SmokyDave

The idea that one player gets the cool new controller whereas the rest are left holding wii-motes seems stupid to me. It cuts the possibilities for new games down massively as well. If it was going to be done this way, there should've been at least 2 controllers in the box.

Mista Koo said:
What? So no local multiplayer? So hardcore :\
It's bound to have local multiplayer, but only one player gets the new toy. The rest get to keep using their old wiimotes.

Sounds a bit crap for players 2-4, to be honest.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
caffeinated said:
So could we get Elite Beat Agents WiiU, in theory it should work.
This is the single best application the WiiU controller would ever have. Ever.

Epcott

alr1ghtstart said:
big pictures

When I look at those, I get the impression it's more like a Udraw tablet, with an LCD screen.

L0tGP.jpg

ACpX7.jpg

How funny would it be if Thq had seen Wii U's dev kit a year ago and decided to release a knock off called Udraw. Probably just coincidence.

I love the fact that this brings all of the advancements in gaming that NDS brought to handheld to the home console space and with very advanced HD graphics.

We are going to see some AMAZING games come out on the Wii U.

I was originally a bit skeptical, but now I'm ultra convinced that this is THE WAY forward, it's the ultimate gaming controller and I just want it NOW NOW NOW. Disappointed there is now Hard Drive built into the unit, so I hope that you can plug an external one in from the get go (or Nintendo release an external one from the get go to go along with the console).

Next year's E3 will be something else with all the REAL games being shown. It's just the same pattern as the Wii's E3. Shown with tech demo's, then the E3 before it came out had all of the proper games being shown.

I damn well love this thing, the GREAT game play possibilities are endless, and the graphical prowess it seems to possess are FANTASTIC!

Please Nintendo, just make sure it boots up super fast, and also boots games even faster, I don't want to wait around while things load, allow me to turn it on and be in an application within 5 - 10 seconds (if there is some sort of sleep mode that allows this then so be it), that is all I ask. Fast loading, fast start, something... this is the main thing I want.

gerg

SmokyDave said:
Shows up as £399.85 in the UK. It'll be an estimate / placeholder. I can't see it costing more than £279.99 but then, isn't the 3DS retail price still £249? (technically, it's not actually selling at that price anywhere).

The 3DS doesn't have an RRP in Europe.

mhayze

ColonialRaptor said:
I love the fact that this brings all of the advancements in gaming that NDS brought to handheld to the home console space and with very advanced HD graphics.

We are going to see some AMAZING games come out on the Wii U.

I was originally a bit skeptical, but now I'm ultra convinced that this is THE WAY forward, it's the ultimate gaming controller and I just want it NOW NOW NOW. Disappointed there is now Hard Drive built into the unit, so I hope that you can plug an external one in from the get go (or Nintendo release an external one from the get go to go along with the console).

Next year's E3 will be something else with all the REAL games being shown. It's just the same pattern as the Wii's E3. Shown with tech demo's, then the E3 before it came out had all of the proper games being shown.

I damn well love this thing, the GREAT game play possibilities are endless, and the graphical prowess it seems to possess are FANTASTIC!

Please Nintendo, just make sure it boots up super fast, and also boots games even faster, I don't want to wait around while things load, allow me to turn it on and be in an application within 5 - 10 seconds (if there is some sort of sleep mode that allows this then so be it), that is all I ask. Fast loading, fast start, something... this is the main thing I want.

Regarding the hard drive, I`m pretty sure I read that it supports usb sticks and usb hds. You can buy 1TB usb hds pretty cheap so this is excellent if true.
Regarding load times I`m expecting a little better than ps3 (faster blu-ray type discs) except with no default hd, I don't see options to install games to reduce load times.

SmokyDave

gerg said:
The 3DS doesn't have an RRP in Europe.
Ah yes, you're right. Retailers (supposedly) get 'em at £175 and then sell them at whatever they can. If that £175 figure is correct, there are already some retailers selling 3DS' at a loss.

I'm going to go with £279.99 for the Wii-U. Any higher and it'll struggle.

It may have been posted but I've just received a press release from Ubisoft say that they are releasing Assassin's Creed, Rabbids and Ghost Recon: Online on the Wii U, as well as two new unannounced IPs. A shooter and family sports game.

Link

Top Bottom