• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Information Thread

leadbelly

Banned
nVidiot_Whore said:
And who has ever suggested the "general hardware" isn't decided?

Nobody. You are the one claiming hardware is "finalized."

You can't call hardware finalized until clock speeds of CPU/GPU/RAM, and RAM amount are decided.. among other things. Those things affect the performance of the games.. which was what is being called into question.

I guess. I was looking at it in terms of the main motherboard design, with the CPU and GPU chipset built in, would be pretty much figured out by now. In terms of the actual custom design, I would think that was finalised by now.

Adjustments to clock speeds you may be right on.

Kosmo said:
I know this is how it was shown, but in one of the videos the showed (or maybe it was Riccitello) talked about Madden and moving the plays off the TV onto the WiiU controller. Unless you're playing 2-player, what would be the point?

yea right now we need more info but i'm sure a destructiod article stated this and then the pr seems to point to this in its multiplayer uses comment. I really hope it isn't true or between now and launch they re consider. at the least i'd like to know why exactly they decided to go with one u controller only(if that is what they did).

gotee12

The Dutch Slayer said:
no even worse we think that their will be only 1 wiiu controller usable per console.
The cheap side of me is happy with the possibility of not having to purchase 3 additional WiiU controllers. I can't imagine those things will be in the $50-60 range. More like $70 or more.

The gamer side of me thinks back to EA talking about picking plays in Madden via the touchscreen. If it was one WiiU controller per console, only one player would get to take advantage of it. I can't imagine it being passed around hot-seat style to allow both teams a chance to privately pick their play. Also, using the WiiU controller to keep things private wouldn't matter in an online game since the other player couldn't see your screen to begin with. Didn't EA somewhat confirm multiple WiiU controllers on the same console at the same time?

I rescind my previous comment. I re-watched the John Riccitiello part of the presentation (link) and he never mentioned multiplayer when referring to the onscreen data shown to the players via the Wii U controller.

My take on this issue of whether or not more than one tablet controller can connect is that it will just depend on the game. With Madden, the console can surely send play call menus to two controllers, but it might not be able to stream the whole game two both. But then there's the issue of whether Nintendo will even enable two controllers to connect, so I don't know...

consoul

Not disruptive enough?

Unless I'm missing something, everything the Wii U can do could be done with a PS3 and a PSV, couldn't it?

Having a controller with a second display or streaming the main game display, touch screen, dual analogs, motion control, augmented reality, etc. All of that is achievable using a PSV with a PS3.

I acknowledge that the difference is that Wii U is built around that concept, while PS3 obviously isn't, but the Wii U doesn't seem to be offering an experience that couldn't be delivered by a competitor's hardware.

Randomizer

Don't know if this has already been asked. Does anyone know what wireless technology this will be using to stream the video and information to the controller?

consoul said:
Not disruptive enough?

Unless I'm missing something, everything the Wii U can do could be done with a PS3 and a PSV, couldn't it?

Having a controller with a second display or streaming the main game display, touch screen, dual analogs, motion control, augmented reality, etc. All of that is achievable using a PSV with a PS3.

I acknowledge that the difference is that Wii U is built around that concept, while PS3 obviously isn't, but the Wii U doesn't seem to be offering an experience that couldn't be delivered by a competitor's hardware.
As you said, it's built in, and that's the differentiator. If wiimotes continue to be sold, motion controls will be included as well

This console falls into the pattern Nintendo has taken over time. Revolution->Evolution

NES-->SNES
N64-->GCN

GB->GBA
DS->3DS

and now

Wii-->Wii U

I don't think I agree with you CJ, Wii U looks like is trying it hardest to be a new revolution while just being a gimmick more than an evolution.

leadbelly

Banned
KaotikMind said:
I don't think I agree with you CJ, Wii U looks like is trying it hardest to be a new revolution while just being a gimmick more than an evolution.

Well, I think it's a bit of both. Having the thing on the floor while taking a golf swing with the wiimote, is most definitely a gimmick. Using the second screen for a unique gameplay experience could be quite a legitimate enhancement to the overall experience though. It's all a matter of using the thing right.

KaotikMind said:

Have you been reading the glowing impressions from just about every major media outlet? I thought it was pretty lame looking at first, but it's gotten tons of positive/praise (even some "Nintendo won E3 with this" articles) once they got their hands on it.

etiolate

Banned
I think in actuality its a hardware upgrade, but they are trying to pass it off as a revolution even though its the same Pacman Vs concept from 9 years ago.

Mr. Snrub said:
Have you been reading the glowing impressions from just about every major media outlet? I thought it was pretty lame looking at first, but it's gotten tons of positive/praise (even some "Nintendo won E3 with this" articles) once they got their hands on it.

What were the initial Wiimote impressions like? I can clearly see how this controller would appeal to core gamers (I know i'm certainly excited about it), but i'm not sure how casuals will feel about it.

gotee12

leadbelly said:
Well, I think it's a bit of both. Having the thing on the floor while taking a golf swing with the wiimote, is most definitely a gimmick. Using the second screen for a unique gameplay experience could be quite a legitimate enhancement to the overall experience though. It's all a matter of using the thing right.
Say what? I'd love to replace that quarter on my floor that I stare intently at while swinging in Tiger Woods with an actual representation of the ball and it's lie.

leadbelly

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:

More importantly, the developers seem to be pretty impressed by it.

Epcott

So you can only use one Wii U controller with the console at any given time?

I hope this is just a rumor and not true, that would be a real downer and pretty dumb.

SolidSnakex said:
What were the initial Wiimote impressions like? I can clearly see how this controller would appeal to core gamers (I know i'm certainly excited about it), but i'm not sure how casuals will feel about it.

So what?

grin.gif

KaotikMind said:
It looks like it's added the new controller + is more powerful + has wiimote support so Nintendo can cover all of their bases in terms of markets. The screen built into the controller is building on the Wii's concept of being easy to get into and built into the living room. It is a refinement, just like those other examples I listed (though maybe a bit moreso).

Also, I don't like the word gimmick. We have yet to see anything for this console, hell it doesn't even launch for a year, and you're labeling it a gimmick. Doesn't make sense imo.

leadbelly

Banned
gotee12 said:
Say what? I'd love to replace that quarter on my floor that I stare intently at while swinging in Tiger Woods with an actual representation of the ball and it's lie.

Maybe. :p

I just wonder if the actual implementation of it would be as close to the concept. If you get my meaning.

consoul said:

The Wii U might have hardware dedicated to the video trans-coding.

That could be one difference.

Doesn't stop any given PS3 game from supporting Wii-U like features.. but it probably stops it from being enabled at the XMB level for all games.

leadbelly said:
Yes but the Wii's game library had few games that used the technology right, so what should make me confident about these capabilities being done well? Plus these features are not what I sought after or cared for in gaming or even outside hardware, so what makes it into a change that will benefit gaming?

Mr. Snrub said:

GTA IV was critically acclaimed worldwide and I thought it was horseshit, the opinions of journalists don't matter to me. And from what I do know is that I don't like tablets, I have tried hardware similar to the design of the controller and never thought of it as comfortable. They did the same thing with the wiimote which ended up being just another way of playing games that I felt was inferior to the traditional way. So what sets this apart.

Plus I would use the term evolution loosely here due to the inferior hardware for 2012 that Nintendo decided to do, it doesn't even have a hard drive!

Mr. Snrub said:

I agree there, but I thought that was the point that KaotikMind was trying to get at. Nintendo is trying to make this the new "Wii" but the hook might not be as enticing to those casuals as the Wiimote was. It's obviously too early to make any judgments on that though.

gotee12

leadbelly said:
Maybe. :p

I just wonder if the actual implementation of it would be as close to the concept. If you get my meaning.
As close as swinging a 7" long wand around in the air, mimicking an actual golf club...

TheBear

So, just to be clear, the console can only use one controller with the screen, and other players would be using wiimotes? And for BC with Wii can you use the WiiU controller? Does it have pointer capabilities?

leadbelly

Banned
KaotikMind said:
so what makes it into a change that will benefit gaming?

Well, there are at least simple things in the controls that would make things easier for you. Simply tapping the screen to change your weapon would be an improvement. You could incorporate the touch screen into the gameplay in such a way it enhances the experience. Mini games within the game world could be done with a greater degree of sophistication. Perhaps something like hacking into a locked door for instance. You could have a graphical representation on the screen.

These are just things I thought of quite quickly, but I'm sure developers could think of some really creative ways of using the touch screen within the game.

SolidSnakex said:
I agree there, but I thought that was the point that KaotikMind was trying to get at. Nintendo is trying to make this the new "Wii" but the hook might not be as enticing to those casuals as the Wiimote was. It's obviously too early to make any judgments on that though.

I was more talking from the "core" point of you. Most of what we've seen were how they would entice casuals and for a person who's been gaming for 20 years and thinks that traditional controls are still the best way to play and see anything else as unnecessarily making new ways of doing the same thing you've done for years that doesn't really change the experience but changes the way to do it and claiming it adds immersion.

I think touch screen is a good idea, I think having motion controls on a regular controller can be done effectively, but 6 inch screen, camera, microphone, this and that plus weird design clearly aimed at the apple audience seems like too much and unwise plus a whole clusterfuck.

I'm just sick of all this "innovation" and shit in gaming that everyone started going nuts with from the wii onwards, I feel like there are too many big ideas trying to be added into gaming too fast and could end up in gaming reaching a new low. I'm seriously considering not buying this console at all.

Datschge

scitek said:
Wii (height): 1.5 in
WiiU: (height) 1.8 in
360 S: (height): 3 in

Wii (width): 6.3 in
WiiU: (width) 6.8 in
360 S: (width): 12 in

Wii (length): 8 in
WiiU: (length) 10.5 in
360 S: (length): 10 in

Wii (volume LxWxH): 75.6 in2
WiiU: (volume LxWxH) 128.5 in2
360 S: (volume LxWxH): 360 in2
Thanks. This means WU will not fit in my current Wii's place (too long). What a bummer... =(

gotee12

leadbelly said:
Yeah... exactly! :p
How precise would it be? ;)
Well I think it can be pretty precise when I don't break my wrist, rotate my hips and keep the controller (club) square to the ball (quarter). Of course nothing replicates swinging a golf club quite like... swinging a real club at the local par 3. But if I'm at home, Tiger Woods and motion controls have worked pretty well (both for the Wii and PS3 versions). Having a representation of the ball would only help add to the experience. But this isn't the Tiger Woods thread so I'll hush now!

AdamBot said:
So sensor bar on the controller? Has this been addressed?
I believe there's a sensor bar at the top of the tv in the reveal vid.

defferoo

AdamBot said:
So sensor bar on the controller? Has this been addressed?
There's no sensor bar on the controller. it's just black which reminds people of the sensor bar, but it's really just a camera. The sensor bar still sits on the TV (as you can see in every promo pic they've released) <-- LOL didn't think this one through gaiz

EDIT: actually, now that I think about it, it would make sense to have a sensor bar in the controller.. for example when you want to play games on the controller using a wii remote (without a TV), you wouldn't need the extra sensor bar anymore. and since you're a lot closer to the controller than the TV, the LEDs on the controller sensor bar are a lot closer to each other...

leadbelly

Banned
gotee12 said:
Well I think it can be pretty precise when I don't break my wrist, rotate my hips and keep the controller (club) square to the ball (quarter). Of course nothing replicates swinging a golf club quite like... swinging a real club at the local par 3. But if I'm at home, Tiger Woods and motion controls have work pretty well (both for the Wii and PS3 versions). Having a representation of the ball would only help add to the experience. But this isn't the Tiger Woods thread so I'll hush now!

Okay. There are things about this new hardware I don't really know the answer to yet. When you swing the wiimote, how would it be able to detect what part of the ball it actually hit?

Are there specific sensors that could determine this accurately?

Is the wiimote that precise, that accurate anyway?

gotee12

leadbelly said:
Okay. There are things about this new hardware I don't really know the answer to yet. When you swing the wiimote, how would it be able to detect what part of the ball it actually hit?

Are there specific sensors that could determine this accurately?

Is the wiimote that precise, that accurate anyway?
Well the Wiimote and Move both feel pretty accurate, but then again I don't have any way of precisely measuring that accuracy. I do know that when I have a bad swing, that the ball does slice (as it does for me in real life). But really, it's just a game. If a motion controlled golf game is not 100% accurate, that's ok (to me at least). I don't expect to spend 40 hours in Forza and then walk out the door fully qualified for le Mans either! They're games meant to provide entertainment, not replacements for reality! lol

It would be awesome though if the Wii U controller did have some kind of sensor bar built in to it. Then Wiimotes could then be used by simply pointing directly at the Wii U controller. Keeping with our discussion, then the game would know if you're pointing the controller in a proper direction to squarely hit the virtual golf ball. That would be awesome!

leadbelly

Banned
gotee12 said:
It would be awesome though if the Wii U controller did have some kind of sensor bar built in to it. Then Wiimotes could then be used by simply pointing directly at the Wii U controller. Keeping with our discussion, then the game would know if you're pointing the controller in a proper direction to squarely hit the virtual golf ball. That would be awesome!

Maybe it does have. I really can't see how it could work properly without having some kind of sensor built into the controller.

The dimensions IGN is giving for the controller are totally off.
In fact I just realised they're using the console dimensions... fucks sake.

Controller is around 9 inch by 5.2 inch.

Pocks

leadbelly said:
Maybe it does have. I really can't see how it could work properly without having some kind of sensor built into the controller.

The spec sheet released by Nintendo says that there is a "sensor strip" on the controller.

Top Bottom