• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Information Thread

Trurl

Banned
So, how many of these controllers can the Wii U stream to at one time? As far as I can tell they have only shown it streaming to one.

Ultrabum

vectorman06 said:
The5thNintendoElement.gif

I'm ready :D

Easily the best gif ever made.

rpmurphy

Back to dual analog kinda sucks, but hopefully touch screen controls will help for FPS games.
Option to stream the game on the controller itself = awesome!

Starving for more info and footage!

I don't really know where this will land for me.

I have a 360/PS3 that are outdated already. I play all third party games I can on PC, so showing me Darksiders 2 and Battlefield 3 running on similar hardware isn't impressive.

The Zelda sneak peak was pretty cool, but I want to see more of what Nintendo will do and how their exclusive games will implement the controller.

If they had some awesome exclusive third party games and more powerful specs, I'm sold, but now? Err. I'll have to buy it for the Mario, Zelda, etc etc but that was the situation I had with the Wii, so nothing has changed.

Disappointing.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
They can still change the controllers right?

Also, why are people forgetting that the reason the third party games are ports is because it's just a quick show of already made games? Nintendo didn't even show a new game save for that Zelda clip.

RPGCrazied

so no actual machine? just a controller?
Where does the media go? They said it wasn't a handheld? But from what I've seen its just exactly that, but it can stream the image to your TV?

Fonds

Foliorum Viridum said:
I don't really know where this will land for me.

I have a 360/PS3 that are outdated already. I play all third party games I can on PC, so showing me Darksiders 2 and Battlefield 3 running on similar hardware isn't impressive.

The Zelda sneak peak was pretty cool, but I want to see more of what Nintendo will do and how their exclusive games will implement the controller.

If they had some awesome exclusive third party games and more powerful specs, I'm sold, but now? Err. I'll have to buy it for the Mario, Zelda, etc etc but that was the situation I had with the Wii, so nothing has changed.

Disappointing.

We don't know what the possibilities of this consule are. Perhaps it's a lot stronger than the 360 and PS3, and might have a longer lifespan that both of those consoles.

Pappasman

I just wish they announced more games. What they had was pretty cool, but they should have shown more GAMES rather than stupid tech demos.

Fonds said:
We don't know what the possibilities of this consule are. Perhaps it's a lot stronger than the 360 and PS3, and might have a longer lifespan that both of those consoles.
It might be, but I seriously doubt it.

Ecrofirt

Did they say whether or not the new controller can sense how far away it is from the console as opposed to just being able to sense when it's been moved? If so, that could provide a real window into a virtual reality world.

Pappasman

RPGCrazied said:
so no actual machine? just a controller?
Where does the media go? They said it wasn't a handheld? But from what I've seen its just exactly that, but it can stream the image to your TV?

medium_medium_new_nintendo_console_detail_01.jpg

I'm actually pretty intrigued by the thing, mainly because I can't wrap my mind around playing with it. My first thoughts:

Holy hell, there was the dreamcast controller, and then there was the original xbox controller. Everyone exclaimed jesus these things are huge. But this wiiu controller, this thing is a fucking leviathan. It's a great white whale of a controller, and I wonder just how awkward using it is going to be. That's probably my make or break point for buying it.

Secondly, they took every single last gimmicky thing they've come up with in the past console generation (minus 3d) and just thrown it all at the wall to see what sticks. It's omegawaggle. There are just so many control options available that surely one of them won't suck.

Oh, and super interesting to me is that it streams your game data to the controller. I was wondering why the graphics on it were equal to the graphics on the tv. Kind of like a local area onlive, if I'm correctly picking up what they're laying down here.

teiresias

Either MS or Sony will be showing next-gen at E3 next year which will negate any tech advantage this thing does or does hold over the current 360/PS3. The third parties know this as well as anyone else.

Jzero

I'm def going to get one. and people are so freaken dumb they swear it's only the controller and no console

RPGCrazied said:
Where is that image coming from?!
they showed it throughout the whole conference under the tv -__-

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
My basic impression is that Nintendo was very concerned and unsure how to roll out Wii 2 / HD / YOO without scaring all the families and expanded audience people who had bought Wiis for the last five years.

So they focused first on making it seem like an accessory or expansion of the Wii concept that even used all your current software and things like the balance board, and was a very non-threatening friendly transition to a new Wii era.

They literally did not want to SAY it was a new box, a new console, that they were asking the average person to buy and replace their Wii with.

Then at the end they did have a tech demo and 3rd party reel to note that yeah, yeah yeah, it is a new box that can play current games from the HD continuum.

In a sense they really were stuck in a rock and hard place trying to make everyone happy. They might not even want to reveal price or exact specs yet considering it's so far away, they CAN adjust things depending on the feedback they begin gathering right now.

RPGCrazied

Jzero15 said:
I'm def going to get one. and people are so freaken dumb they swear it's only the controller and no console

they showed it throughout the whole conference under the tv -__-

serious?

I was watching the G4 on TV and I didn't notice that. :p

Zero-Crescent said:
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/06/nintendo-controller-hands-on/
Posted this in the OP. Looks like Wired has the first hands-on with Wii U.

Some of this stuff just sounds so strange...

Seeing one view on my TV.. but using my controller's 6" screen I can see a different camera angle?

Why again do I want to look down at the screen in my hands instead of my HDTV?

I'm not trying to write the thing off.. just my own personal reaction.. I'm glad Nintendo exists and tries somewhat new and interesting stuff.. and I hope this turns out to be amazing fun.. it just doesn't all make much sense to me.

Putting my own tastes aside.. from a business perspective this seems extremely risky. After the elegance and simplicity of the Wii garnered so much support from the general public they throw a dual-analog'd 6.2" screened controller at us?

Boken

Banned
Two other barely interactive demos showed how the system provides what one of the Nintendo representatives called “a window into a game world that wraps around you.” On the television screen, we saw a hummingbird flying between blossoming cherry trees, swooping down into a lake beneath a massive Japanese temple. The same real-time demo was shown on the controller screen, but by moving the controller around we could get any view we liked of the hot hummingbird action.

That's promising. It wasn't CGI!

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Sounds like Nintendo messed up by not showing the actual game console on the big screen and saying "LOOK! NEW HARDWARE!". Oh G4 they're saying it's only the controller and are confused as to how a controller and the original wii can produce those graphics.

McHuj

I'm amazed at the lack of real software for this thing. I really would have thought that thing would have or two Nintendo first party games demoed on stage and another third party. I know it's a year out, but still. I want to see the games, not just hear promises or fake highlight reels.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Shaheed79 said:
Sounds like Nintendo messed up by not showing the actual game console on the big screen and saying "LOOK! NEW HARDWARE!". Oh G4 they're saying it's only the controller and are confused as to how a controller and the original wii can produce those graphics.
Wow, G4 doesn't know what it's talking about? Stop the presses!

Boken said:
Hahaha people are SO confused right now.
I am, too. Not about the controller or console, just about the conference and how Nintendo presented the information. That was fucking weird.

But this is the Wii all over again. Dumb name, weird controller, everyone flips out calling it "THE WORST THING EVER WTF NINTENDO I H8 U!!!!!!!!!", then in 6 months nobody will think it's abnormal at all. How some of you people don't have enough foresight to get that is baffling.

As a PC/PS360 owner, the multiplat part of the conference was embarassing. They basically gloated about HD! Online!
Welcome to the current gen, guys ! We've been in the future all these years!

The controller is intriguing and it could lead to interesting stuff but the principle of multi-platform development being to use the lowest common denominator available, I won't hold my breath for these and only expect multiplats to be PS360 versions with a couple of nice but forgettable gimmicks added.

I only expect Nintendo games to be amazing, as they were on Wii. And to a lesser extent, I could be interested in playing my big TV games in another room or while my wife or my kid is watching TV.

It's all down to the price point.

Luigiv

From Wired hands on.

The company said the games would come on “proprietary high-density optical discs” and that the new console would use internal flash storage for downloaded content, which would be upgradable with SD cards or USB sticks.

Extendible storage via USB means we can finally use hard drives! :D

Unsurprisingly but still disappointingly, Nintendo failed to articulate any actual strategy for selling the system to the current PS3 and 360 core audience.

New Nintendo-published IP aimed at the Western audience, as Iwata seemed to be hinting at with his "reinforce the development resources in the foreign countries" comment back in late April? Not here. Any incentive to buy multiplatform titles - some of which will be arriving on Wii U months late - on Wii U rather than PS3/360? Not explained here. Competitive online features? Maybe EA will help provide them, but the absence of any details in that regard is hardly encouraging given Nintendo's history.

I eagerly await whatever the next event will be where Nintendo releases substantive additional information, but for now, it's hard not to be skeptical. Maybe something will come from the roundtables, as IGN predicted.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
People need to remember that this is now the iPad age. People are used to a tablet interface, so the WiiU controller may not seem overly complex if it has a nice interface for tablet style functions

Top Bottom