• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U launch parties: what was your friends/family reception of the system?

majik13

Most friends loved it, they only play on ps3 mainly (all their 360s died years ago) and several of them were saying they were gonna pick one up.
My wife has been sort of indifferent. She likes games less and less. We are both super busy too. Playing sweet day gave her too much anxiety when chased and made her feel ill. She is getting over anxiety attacks, sux. But I think she likes that I can play some games w/o the tv.

Funny, though, I have had problems with internet service. Comcast had to come out and replace my modem. The tech was on older huge guy.

He noticed the wiiu, and was asking how it was, he knew what it was, and he was saying he was thinking about picking one up for the holidays.

farnham

Banned
Most friends loved it, they only play on ps3 mainly (all their 360s died years ago) and several of them were saying they were gonna pick one up.
My wife has been sort of indifferent. She likes games less and less. We are both super busy too. Playing sweet day gave her too much anxiety when chased and made her feel ill. She is getting over anxiety attacks, sux. But I think she likes that I can play some games w/o the tv.

Funny, though, I have had problems with internet service. Comcast had to come out and replace my modem. The tech was on older huge guy.

He noticed the wiiu, and was asking how it was, he knew what it was, and he was saying he was thinking about picking one up for the holidays.

my wife only plays games when she is completely hooked. (recent examples incl. 428 and the bravely default demo) she certainly enjoyed nintendo lands zelda and especially pikmin

Rehynn

Most of my friends were surprised at how much they liked it. One even went from "never buy" to "will probably buy", and another said he'd be pleased if the next PS or Xbox had a touchscreen on the controller.

NSMB U Challenge mode simply killed it in co-op.

kinggroin

Banned
Wife and sister love it, one brother in law left with a thumbs up and said, "I like, I like".

Nobody else (a lot of family) gave a shit more than just hearting a picture of it on instagram.

my friends weren't that impressed. there was interest in off tv play but they felt the games weren't very good. they especially didn't take to super mario bros, which more than one of them called a cynical cash in that felt like it was put together in a few months just so they could have a mario at release.

zombiu, they felt the controls weren't very good and didn't take to the constant having to look down to the pad and the screen. didn't play assassins creed 3 as they already had it on ps3.

overall, they liked the idea of off tv play and the design of the gamepad but felt the games were letting down the console. there was nothing must have or I need the console for this game.

farnham

Banned
my friends weren't that impressed. there was interest in off tv play but they felt the games weren't very good. they especially didn't take to super mario bros, which more than one of them called a cynical cash in that felt like it was put together in a few months just so they could have a mario at release.

zombiu, they felt the controls weren't very good and didn't take to the constant having to look down to the pad and the screen. didn't play assassins creed 3 as they already had it on ps3.

overall, they liked the idea of off tv play and the design of the gamepad but felt the games were letting down the console. there was nothing must have or I need the console for this game.

trine 2 i think is a very good game for off tv play and multiplayer (wiimote control is great with the game too)

Kerub

Banned
My friends were suprised at how slow everything was. Updates, installing updates, slooooow loading screens everytime you start/shut down an app.

We had a lot of fun with boost mode in NSMBU though.

trine 2 i think is a very good game for off tv play and multiplayer (wiimote control is great with the game too)

I tried to get them to play trine 2 but most of them already had it on ps3 or xbox 360 and said what's the point of playing games they've already played on a brand new console. no telling them about new content could convince them to give trine 2 or assassins creed 3 a chance.

they liked the gamepad and off tv play, but were very critical about the games. two of them thought this was the weakest launch line up ever with it comprising of old games, one game that felt like a cheap cash in and only one game that did anything to show off the new features of the wii u.

maybe nintendoland might have convinced them?

Crom

I tried to get them to play trine 2 but most of them already had it on ps3 or xbox 360 and said what's the point of playing games they've already played on a brand new console. no telling them about new content could convince them to give trine 2 or assassins creed 3 a chance.

they liked the gamepad and off tv play, but were very critical about the games. two of them thought this was the weakest launch line up ever with it comprising of old games, one game that felt like a cheap cash in and only one game that did anything to show off the new features of the wii u.

maybe nintendoland might have convinced them?

Your friends sound like a joy to be around. What are they....hipsters or gothics or something?

My sister enjoyed coming over and using it.

Easy concept to understand. Funny thing is we just used it for Netflix and messed around with Mario for a little bit.

I really do like Netflix on the system. Works well and the gamepad seems to fit in perfectly with it.

Your friends sound like a joy to be around. What are they....hipsters or gothics or something?

err, no.

I thought their complaints were valid. I love the wii u, but I can see their point. there's nothing stand out at launch, which is often when you expect to see at least a few titles that serve as examples of what's to come.

Gameboy415

I had 2 friends over to play Wii U this past weekend and it was a blast!

We had a ridiculously good time playing NSMBU - we'd cooperate for a bit through tricky sections only to turn around and chuck each other into pits. :)

NintendoLand was surprisingly a big hit with them too (one friend is mainly into PC/XBOX dudebro stuff and the other is essentially a non-gamer).
They really enjoyed Luigi's Ghost Mansion, DK Crash Course, Yoshi's Fruit Cart, and Takamaru's Ninja Castle, but didn't seem to like Zelda or Metroid as much, oddly enough.

Ironically, the only reason we stopped playing is that the GamePad's battery ran out.
I hope they release a longer-lasting battery in the near future!

Karish

Have yet to have a bunch of friends over to play. I've had the system since launch. Live with my girlfriend, and have used it nearly daily for games and apps. Last night I went to use it to turn on Netflix and my GF says "The WiiU is pretty fucking sweet".

So there's that :)

Top Bottom