• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U - Overview Video

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
nhsfng.gif

UNCMark

Banned
Every time Nintendo is forced to remind people that the Wii U is a NEW console, take a drink. You'll be on the road to a drunken good time within 5 seconds of this video.

I'm not sticking up for Nintendo but its kinda sad that this day in age with a majority of the population that are interested in buying video game systems or any kind of technology still can't use the internet to look up information before hand. The information is easily available yet people still choose to remain uninformed.

"New technology"......why don't they say "New video game console"!? They have never said it's a new video game console in any US ad.

Gestault

Did they list Windwaker as one of the games you can play with all of your friends?

Edit: They did.

"Like multiplayer, with all your friends and family in games like Super Mario 3D World, Wii Sports Club and the Legend of Zelda Windwaker HD."

Finally a decent commercial explaining what it is. Hopefully they show this video in expanded places rather than just a youtube video, although it's a bit long for other forms of media I suppose.

UNCMark

Banned
Mom has a drinking problem...

Yep, and thanks to mom the kids can no longer use the Wii U since she brought her foot crashing down on the gamepad that was sitting on the floor in front of her. Yep, Nintendo designed a sports title around putting the expensive gamepad on the floor in front of gamers that are exercising. What could go wrong?

Gestault

"Just look for the 'U' on the box" is a great phrase to differentiate it and its games for buyers.

(in before someone posts a pic of the uDraw Tablet for the original Wii with similarly colored branding)

BraXzy

I think part of the problem is the fact many of the videos feature the original Wiimote. If I knew nothing and saw that, I'd be like oh look the Wiimote, it must be a Wii add on.

Kydd BlaZe

Lol @ "Just look for the U on the box"

Pretty good video, though. At least they're trying to do something to get the word out there, that this is not the same thing as the original Wii.

Ansatz

I'm not sticking up for Nintendo but its kinda sad that this day in age with a majority of the population that are interested in buying video game systems or any kind of technology still can't use the internet to look up information before hand. The information is easily available yet people still choose to remain uninformed.

In this day and age two minutes of your attention is a lifetime.

Good video though.

Not bad. All ages represented, more like the Wii ads than the condescending Wii U ads. Nobody seems excessively dorky. Even that scene with the mom has the daughter giving a knowing laugh, so the children actually seem self aware.

I'm not sure they should bother with some of the stuff like having mom use YouTube to learn how to cut carrots. Is anyone really going to buy a video game console for that? Especially a mother?

But they showed some games, explained what the thing is, and didn't talk to their audience like infants. So it's an improvement.

Caffeine

took them long enough this was a concern before the system launched at least they understand now that average consumers were confused.

hongcha

I loled at this part:

"And with so many games coming soon, there's no better time to buy".

Actually there is. When all of those "many games" are released (they actually just showed MK8 and DKC, as that's pretty much all that's coming in the next 6 months).

Also, so many Wiimotes in that video, yet the Wii U console does not come with one.

Way to go Nintendo! This is definitely a step in the right direction. I much prefer having a narrator who explains the features rather than having some kids with cheesy dialogue. Too bad it's too long to be a commercial. I'm sure they could slim it down though.

I think part of the problem is the fact many of the videos feature the original Wiimote. If I knew nothing and saw that, I'd be like oh look the Wiimote, it must be a Wii add on.

I somewhat agree. It'd be nice if in ads they emphasized more people playing with the gamepad + Wii U Pro controller rather than the remotes but at the same time it's a great feature that you can actually use controllers you likely already own on a new system. I prefer being able to use my old controllers on a new system over having to buy multiple $60 new ones every time a new gen comes around as the competitors do. That said, they could have avoided the confusion by just being clearer with the name and ads. If they clearly said it is a new console that you can save money on by using old controllers or something along those lines, it could have gone better in terms of brand awareness. (or they could have just picked a more distinct name...)

Why do they keep doing this "Get the family together and get in the fun" marketing. Nobody wants to see beautiful people in a nice house high-fiving each other and laughing their asses off at racing past each other at Mario Kart. That's so unbelievably fake. It's not what gaming is. Everyone knows that. They're fooling nobody. Most of the time when people game they're staring dead-panned at the TV without blinking. And they're still having a blast.

Nobody is going to take Nintendo seriously unless they fire the "Coming Soon to VHS" guy and just focus on how fucking awesome their games are.

Mory Dunz

Why do they keep doing this "Get the family together and get in the fun" marketing. Nobody wants to see beautiful people in a nice house high-fiving each other and laughing their asses off at racing past each other at Mario Kart. That's so unbelievably fake. It's not what gaming is. Everyone knows that. They're fooling nobody. Most of the time when people game they're staring dead-panned at the TV without blinking. And they're still having a blast.

Nobody is going to take Nintendo seriously unless they fire the "Coming Soon to VHS" guy and just focus on how fucking awesome their games are.

Umm...Advertising has never been about reality. It's about the ideal.

Unless you're joking and I missed it. If so, my bad.

EDIT:
Ah, double. I thought the thread was faster.

So the only thing remotely enticing about that video as a gamer is:

• Nintendo Franchises in Full HD
  • Two Player versus games on the GamePad

EDIT: Is the drunk Mum holding two Wiimotes while playing golf?
EDIT2: Apologies, that's her stupid Wiiglove.

AHA-Lambda

It's beyond pathetic it took them THIS long to come up with what has probably been the clearest marketing vid yet that this is not the Wii.

Unfortunately,
even though it shows and states this is a whole new system the vid really just tried to push the buttons of the Wii audience again.

"oh look there's the golf game and hey there's granny playing Wii Fit!"

That audience is gone Nintendo, if this is your plan to save the WiiU you are in for a harsh awakening.

Possum

That's all so bizarre. I feel like every scene with people using it either ran too long, or cut off too short.

gogogow

I loled at this part:

"And with so many games coming soon, there's no better time to buy".

Actually there is. When all of those "many games" are released (they actually just showed MK8 and DKC, as that's pretty much all that's coming in the next 6 months).

Turn up your volume.

He said "and with even more great games coming soon".

Top Bottom