• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U - Overview Video

I didn't watch the video but looking at the GIF isn't the point of the delayed thing that the kids are embarrassed by their Mum acting like she is and trying to be cool but when she looks at them for approval they're like :| -> oh hey thats awesome Mum you're great! :D

areal

Man, Nintendo is really god awful at making their marketing look anywhere near good most of the time. This was bottom shelf bad.
Indeed.

Is there any research on the split between consoles bought by parents for children and teenagers (or as gifts) and consoles bought by people with independent income for themselves?

Elija2

I thought the "entirely new technology" line was weird. It's last-gen tech with a mediocre tablet, what's new about it? I guess the streaming technology is new, but they barely pointed it out. Yeah I know that's just their way of saying it's a new console, but what's wrong with flat-out saying it's a new console? I guess that would sound too desperate a year after release. And I like how they used online play as a bullet point, like that hasn't been a feature on consoles for over a decade.

Seeing these kinds of ads for the Wii U a year after release is really weird. I know they're going for the whole relaunch thing, but it just boggles my mind why they didn't do this kind of stuff last year? I don't think it will be that effective now that the PS4 and XBONE are out.

Toparaman

Banned
People don't have to look like they're having orgasms when they're having fun, Nintendo. Other than that, this is probably the first Wii U ad that makes the console look uniquely appealing.

I'm disappointed that Nintendo doesn't talk about Nintendo TVii.

Z3D48xH.jpg

RamsesA

Neo Member
Why do they keep doing this "Get the family together and get in the fun" marketing. Nobody wants to see beautiful people in a nice house high-fiving each other and laughing their asses off at racing past each other at Mario Kart. That's so unbelievably fake. It's not what gaming is. Everyone knows that. They're fooling nobody. Most of the time when people game they're staring dead-panned at the TV without blinking. And they're still having a blast.

Nobody is going to take Nintendo seriously unless they fire the "Coming Soon to VHS" guy and just focus on how fucking awesome their games are.

Is it wrong that this marketing appealed to me?

:(

It's the message that Nintendo should have relayed over a year ago. They need to stop now though. That audience has clearly moved on. They're more likely to buy a Wii than a $300 Wii U. They aren't going to get that Wii Sports novelty again. That window is gone now.

"New technology"......why don't they say "New video game console"!? They have never said it's a new video game console in any US ad.

They ultimately still want to try to pitch the system to the non-gamers who made the Wii a phenomenal success. They've at least curbed their enthusiasm for it, but they're never going to give up on that tack completely, no matter how many times people tell them that the (grand)mothers and hipsters have come and gone.

I think you've just got to let them have that. The dreams of those Wii dollars coming back are what's keeping some of the shareholders off the ledge. As long as it's not messing up the core message of the advertisement, it's fine.

VanWinkle

If, over a year after the system's launch, Nintendo still has to keep telling people the Wii U is a new console and not a Wii add-on, you know there's a problem. PS4 doesn't have this problem. Heck, even the XB1 doesn't have this problem.

Imagine if Sony called the PS4 the PS3 U, or MS called the XB1 the Xbox 360 U? Such a dumb name they gave it.

I really can't understand why Nintendo is so obsessed with the casual audience. They're gone, they're not coming back, not for this system.

The hardcore game has a much greater chance of being enticed by Nintendo IMO. Imagine a commercial with Metroid, F-Zero, Starfox all in HD, toting great online multi-player, rich graphics with 60fps.

Don't show Wii-motes anymore, make those go away from the public eye. Unless you include one in the box, that is old Wii tech, leave it behind. No one wants a new system that they have to set-up another dinky sensor bar for and go get an over-priced controller. Focus on the Gamepad, and make the Pro-controller an option for every game.

We all like Mario Kart, but at this point most people own at least 1 version of it, and for the causals that all they need. I personally own DS, GCN, Wii, and 3DS Mario Kart. Unless the Wii U version is DRASTICALLY different, I don't need it. I'm not sure it's going to be a system seller this time around. Nintendo needs to NAIL the online, and I would like to see some kind of single-player adventure mode. Shake it up a bit, Nintendo!

JoeM86

It's the message that Nintendo should have relayed over a year ago. They need to stop now though. That audience has clearly moved on. They're more likely to buy a Wii than a $300 Wii U. They aren't going to get that Wii Sports novelty again. That window is gone now.

So rather than market something to try and turn it around, you'd rather they just stop it without any form of replacement? How does that make sense?

Should they have done this a year ago? Sure. Does that mean they shouldn't now? Hell no.

I really can't understand why Nintendo is so obsessed with the casual audience. They're gone, they're not coming back, not for this system.

They were worth a few billion dollars of super-easy money. You have to remember that Nintendo's home console business had been modestly successful but sort of disappointing for a solid decade before the Wii. Then, suddenly, their home console was generating enough revenue for Scrooge McDuck-style money diving practically overnight.

They could accept the casual audience is gone and try to adjust their expectations, aiming for the extremely modest-but-sustainable sales of a Gamecube. Except the entire industry has gotten more expensive around them because of HD development, modern advertising budgets, and expectations for after-market support and infrastructure. To be honest, if they were selling Gamecube numbers they'd probably just be treading water in the modern market.

Thinking about it that way, how could they not at least try to bring back the casuals? I mean, I don't blame them for it, any more than I blame Square-Enix for chasing the mobile market. They fleece casual gamers out of their money and then use it to build games I actually want. I'd rather they didn't have to, but if it works I'm not going to complain.

Just, y'know, it's not really working anymore. So I guess I am going to complain. A lot!

This is a decent infomercial. If I were a Nintendo higher up, I'd be asking my so called marketing department why it took them a fucking year to come up with this. And then I'd fire their asses.

wilflare

I just got mine with my siblings yesterday and we are loving it!
hahaha thinking whether to get the "real" controllers (Wii U Pro Controller) now... need a discount man

Shave it down to 30 secs, make it in japanese and then go in a massive marketing campaign.

Not much time left in Japan before the next gen systems hit.

Gotta use the remaining time you have left to do something, rather than just lay there and die.

Dereck

Shaking my head.

Did these fools really just show the same 4 games over and over again, and the gameplay footage of two games that aren't actually out yet?

royalan

Post from the just-closed thread:

This will be completely ineffective.

Nintendo's positioning the Wii U as though it solves a problem (it doesn't), and in the process they're completely neglecting the excitement factor that gets people to purchase new hardware.

I don't think there's ever been a console by a major player that has come off as more dull than the Wii U right now, and the sad thing is that seems to be the tone Nintendo's going for here in their quest to position the Wii U as a lifestyle device for families.

They were worth a few billion dollars of super-easy money.

this is the answer. they will have to drop a lot in price though. they are competing with 1 dollar apps now.
The hardcore game has a much greater chance of being enticed by Nintendo IMO.
no. hardcore gamers are already gone and are not comming back. they are even harder to convince unless nintendo makes shooters. and even if they make shooters. call of duty, battle field, halo, killzone are going to be the games hardcore gamers are interested in not the new FPS by the makers of Geist.
Dat COD and Knack is whack.

isnt COD "M for Mature"?

this is the answer. they will have to drop a lot in price though. they are competing with 1 dollar apps now.
no. hardcore gamers are already gone and are not comming back. they are even harder to convince unless nintendo makes shooters. and even if they make shooters. call of duty, battle field, halo, killzone are going to be the games hardcore gamers are interested in not the new FPS by the makers of Geist.

isnt COD "M for Mature"?

As if that's ever stopped the kiddies from enjoying some bam bam shoot em up John Wayne action. 8)

Top Bottom