• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Production Has Officially Ended For Japan

Kotaku.

Last fall, Kotaku reported Wii U production was slated to end “soon” for Japan. And today, we can say it’s officially finished.

The announcement was made on Nintendo Japan’s website under the Wii U hardware section. (Note that these are the only two versions of the Wii U currently available.)

The website states that Wii U production has ended, but specifically notes for this is domestically for Japan (日本国内 or Nihon kokunai, which means “within Japan”).

Kotaku reached out to Nintendo of America for comment, but did not hear back prior to publication.

GZ!

I was always wondering if there are like any, Japan only Wii U exclusives which are held in high regard, just like that Zangeki no Reginleiv Wii game.

Tadaima

The hardware is already sold out in various locations, such as Bic Camera.

Be sure to check Amazon.co.jp, as Bic (and perhaps some other retailers) have a habit of offloading their leftover stock via the Marketplace rather than doing deep discounts in-store.

DSFan1970

A sad day.

3020118-5562455887-artic.jpg

The Hermit

It will be THE backwards compatibility system for me. From GameCube to WiiU.

Unless the switch is powerful enough to emulate that.

It will be THE backwards compatibility system for me. From GameCube to WiiU.

Unless the switch is powerful enough to emulate that.

WiiU can play GameCube games? :eek:

That's a good point actually. I may prefer this as a backwards-compatible system to Wii if so. Maybe I should grab one.

Lazaro

I don't think Wii U can read GameCube discs but with homebrew it can play Gamecube dumps via SD or USB.

EDIT: Also Triforce Arcade games if you have that kind of money for those dumps.

Zodzilla

Love my Wii U. When used in conjunction with VC, Wii compatibility, and Nintendont (with the official GameCube controller adapter), this is hands down the ultimate Nintendo console.

EmiPrime

The Wii U will always have a place under my TV, the ability to play the last 16 years of Nintendo home console games natively guarantees that.

hoserx

The Wii U will always have a place under my TV, the ability to play the last 16 years of Nintendo home console games natively guarantees that.

Wait what? How are you playing gamecube games natively?

(edit: custom firmware probably, not fully awake)

viHuGi

Banned
Who still remembers Project Cafe threads back in the day?

Still think this Console was badly advertised by Nintendo and had much more potential.

Neoxon

Better stock up on Wii Us, Smash 4 tournament organizers (& Pokkén, if it ends up winning the EVO donation drive). Though with Smash 4 rumored to be Switch-bound, this may not be an issue for long.

But yeah, thanks for the fun, Wii U. You may have been a failure, but you gave us some great games.

-Stranger-

I only just bought a Wii U i'm super lttp.

RIP Wii U

I'm enjoying Bayonetta 2 and i just bought Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Better stock up on Wii Us, Smash 4 tournament organizers (& Pokkén, if it ends up winning the EVO donation drive). Though with Smash 4 rumored to be Switch-bound, this may not be an issue for long.

Unless the Switch doesn't support the GameCube adaptor because "that doesn't suit a portable system." Oh, the outcry when that happens...

Neoxon

Unless the Switch doesn't support the GameCube adaptor because "that doesn't suit a portable system." Oh, the outcry when that happens...
Like how an arcade stick or an Ethernet adapter wouldn't fit a portable system?

I wouldn't worry about the GameCube Adapter being supported. Nintendo may make some questionable decisions, but they aren't that dumb.

I also honestly wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo made some Gamecube shaped JoyCons along the way.

Nintendo-Switch-Gamecube-Joycon.jpg

Only issue is, it wouldn't really fit on the JoyCon grips we currently have. So they'd have to make a new version to accommodate it.

Top Bottom