• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Production Has Officially Ended For Japan

PSFan

eh, of course the vita outlived it, i mean, there's no other portable from sony coming in the future, they just abandoned the vita

how can someone outlive the vita when it is abandoned :p

Because Vita is still getting new software? It's not abandoned by any means.

gortsi

Neo Member

Sure it is, just certain people refuse to.accept it. Lets not even compare actual quality of software between the two as well, it wouldn't be fair to the Vita

Not just that, but it's still produced and sells in Japan. Unlike the Wii U.

Edit: This is starting to be a derail so I'll stop after this post, but I love how some people are so oddly insistent that the Vita is dead or dying or abandoned. First it's no mainstream presence, then it's no games, then it's no AAA games, then it's no exclusives, then it's no games you're interested in.

The "b-b-b-but the Veeytuh is... is ded! WAAAAAA!" sentiment just appears more and more petty at this point.

Which era would that be?
This era... The Wii U era...
-Wonderfull 101
-Bayonetta 2
-Splatoon
-Xenoblade C X
-Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
-Paper Mario Color Splash
-Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
-Mario Maker
-Pokkens
-Super Smash Bros
-Nintendo Land
-Lego City Undercover
-Fatal Frame
-Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
-Hyrule Warriors
-Mario Kart 8
-Yoshi Wooly World
-Star Fox Zero
-Rayman Legends
-ZombiU
-Super Luigi U
-Captain Todd
-Super Mario 3D World
-Fast Raciong Neo
-Art of Balance
-Pikmin 3

-Wonderfull 101
-Bayonetta 2
-Splatoon
-Xenoblade C X
-Mario Maker
-Pokkens
-Super Smash Bros
-Nintendo Land
-Lego City Undercover
-Fatal Frame
-Hyrule Warriors
-Mario Kart 8
-Yoshi Wooly World
-Star Fox Zero
-Rayman Legends
-ZombiU
-Super Luigi U
-Captain Todd
-Super Mario 3D World
-Fast Raciong Neo
-Art of Balance
-Pikmin 3

Nice list of games, half of which I own and will continue to enjoy. It has pretty much no cultural significance or relevance, it's not likely to have any historical significance in the years to come, it hasn't jump-started a new paradigm shift in the gaming landscape, and it's more or less a footnote in Nintendo's 30 year history of consoles, one they're desperate to move on from. I think you could reasonably apply that term to the NES/SNES era, for their roles in shaping 2D gaming and the industry, the N64 for its role in providing us with classics like SM64, Zelda and their impact on 3d based gameplay, or the impact of its controller features on modern interfaces, or the Wii introducing motion control in the console space which gave way to Kinect and Move( failed or middling as those technologies were/are) and maybe even as a rudimentary precursor to VR. I'm not sure what will be taken from the Wii U, except what not to do for future consoles in terms of branding and marketing, or basing the identity of your console on dual-screen gameplay which isn't as suitable for home console as it is/was for a handheld.

So I'm not sure why the term 'era' is being applied here, but OK.

onken

-Wonderfull 101
-Bayonetta 2
-Splatoon
-Xenoblade C X
-Mario Maker
-Pokkens
-Super Smash Bros
-Nintendo Land
-Lego City Undercover
-Fatal Frame
-Hyrule Warriors
-Mario Kart 8
-Yoshi Wooly World
-Star Fox Zero
-Rayman Legends
-ZombiU
-Super Luigi U
-Captain Todd
-Super Mario 3D World
-Fast Raciong Neo
-Art of Balance
-Pikmin 3

Weakest Nintendo console by far.

Chinbo37

-Splatoon
-Pokkens
-Nintendo Land
-Yoshi Wooly World
-Rayman Legends
-Super Luigi U
-Captain Todd
-Fast Raciong Neo
-Art of Balance

Still need to get these. The rest I have or dont want.

gortsi

Neo Member
Oops. "Sells" was a wrong word. Sorry.

Vita still sells a decent amount, AFAIK. Didn't the Wii U bomb in Japan? (not related to the previous point.)

It bombed everwhere of we follow this line of thought, but at least we know exactly what it sold. Can't say the same for the Vita as we only have precise numbers for Japan and Sony used to lump it together with the PSP when they bothered to include it in their financial results

I'd like to get my hands on an extra Wii U game pad since the system is almost useless with it if it craps out (and it does as with mine when the wifi module died).

Top Bottom