• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.W.Crazy

I'm very happy with the Wii U but sadly haven't been able to use it the last few days because my gamepad stopped working. Everything was fine from launch but Wednesday when I came home from work it started to give out. It would power on and sync only to shut off at seemingly random intervals. It got to the point were it was just cycling on and off every 5-10 seconds and then when I was on the phone with Nintendo today it finally gave out. I'll have to pack it up and send it away tomorrow. They said all Wii U related repairs get free expedited shipping so it should take 5-6 days from the date I ship. Hopefully this is rare and not to many people get affected. It sucks to have games sitting here that can't be played. Black Ops 2 is the only one I've got that doesn't require the gamepad to boot.

guek

Banned
I'm very happy with the Wii U but sadly haven't been able to use it the last few days because my gamepad stopped working. Everything was fine from launch but Wednesday when I came home from work it started to give out. It would power on and sync only to shut off at seemingly random intervals. It got to the point were it was just cycling on and off every 5-10 seconds and then when I was on the phone with Nintendo today it finally gave out. I'll have to pack it up and send it away tomorrow. They said all Wii U related repairs get free expedited shipping so it should take 5-6 days from the date I ship. Hopefully this is rare and not to many people get affected. It sucks to have games sitting here that can't be played. Black Ops 2 is the only one I've got that doesn't require the gamepad to boot.

Sorry to hear that man :-(

How do you boot up blopsII without the gamepad btw? Did they have you send just the controller by itself?

J.W.Crazy

Sorry to hear that man :-(

How do you boot up blopsII without the gamepad btw? Did they have you send just the controller by itself?

Thanks.

You can launch games from the icons in the Plaza if you have the disc in. I assume it works with downloaded games too. You can also just switch the Plaza off-screen with the wiimote.

Yeah, luckily I just have to send in the gamepad.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Man, I gotta say, I'm really happy I took the plunge and got a WiiU at launch. The miiverse is quite limited but has a cool community feel. Just lots of people enjoying themselves and posting obscure messages, it's really fun to be a part of.

Worst case scenario, we get a Dreamcast 2. I'm fine with that though, just as long as I get an awesome Zelda game and 2 sequels to zombiU. :)

RagnarokX

Well, my Wii U has been repaired and is on its way back home.

Received by Repair Facility: 11/23/2012
Return Ship Date: 11/23/2012
lol

Scheduled For Early Delivery On:
Monday, 11/26/2012, By End of Day

Is there a way to mark messages within NSMBU? Was playing with my daughter and were greeted with a nice pic of a middle finger with the caption FUCK YOU BOWSER. Lovely. Couldnt find a way to get it removed.

Saw that too. Wrf is wring with people? If anything it makes a case for nintendonto just get rid of the miiverse as it is

Not really... About the only thing I ever saw bad on miiverse was marked for moderation literally within 5 minutes. Yeah it sucks when something like that happens, but these people will get weeded out with console bans from miiverse... not many people willing to pay another $300 just to continue to troll miiverse.

Hawk269

Just a PSA on using a HDD with the Wii U Console.

As some have mentioned, you DO NOT need to buy a Self Powered USB HDD for it to work on the Wii U. Using a simple USB Y Cable, which basically uses both the rear USB Ports of the Wii U allows you to use NON SELF POWERED HDD's with the Wii U. It seems that the USB ports on the Wii U do not provide as much power as needed by a non-self powered HDD, but using a Y Adapter gives the needed juice from both of the Wii U's USB ports enough juice to run the HDD without issues.

Below are two posts I made in the HDD Thread on using the Wii U and a non-self powered HDD.

I have confirmed that this HDD works with the Wii U. I am using a USB 2.0 Y Cable to provide enough power, but have not tested just plugging straight into the unit without the Y cable.

The Wii U detected the HDD immediately upon boot up. Was able to format the drive and moved my update data/save game data for Nintendo Land which was about 228 mb to the HDD and it transfered it rather fast. Moving it back from the HDD to the Internal memory took twice as long though, so unsure if that is normal. It seems to work perfectly fine and it being a semi-glossy small hdd, it fits perfect with the look of the black wii u.

Best Buy has a 1TB Portable External HDD Seagate on sale right now for $69.99 vs. the regular price of $99.99. It is part of the Black Friday deals and I was able to order with in-store pick up just a few minutes ago. Almost every best buy in my area had the HDD as available/in-stock.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate+...0568&cp=1&lp=2

Will give it shot without using the Y Cable in a little bit. Will report back with the results.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tested the HDD without the Y Cable and it did work for a bit, but when trying to move data from the HDD back to the console it failed on 2 attempts. Once I plugged the Y Adapter back in it worked without any issue.

In testing, I did find sending a 226mb file (my Nintendo Land data) from the console to the HDD took about 20 seconds. Moving the same file back to the system memory took up to 1 minute. Not sure if that is normal or not. So in short, if you have a self powered USB HDD, you do need a Y Adapter since the single USB port does not give it enough juice. In my test without the Y adapter it did recoginize the hdd and was able to write to it, but reading from it and sending data to the console it would fail.

For $69.99 *if you act fast* a 1 tb (931 gb) usable for the Wii U is pretty damn good deal and the drive looks sleek and small and compliments the Black Wii U.

Here is the link again for the HDD.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate+...0568&cp=1&lp=2

Oh and I am using a USB 2.0 Y-Cable, so not sure if a 3.0 would do anything differently being that the Wii U uses 2.0 instead of 3.0.

Feel free to add me as a friend: NINID: Hawk269 Mention GAF in the message.

Not sure why Nintendo would go below spec on power to the USB ports seeing as how the regular Wii managed it fine... Ahh well... it's Nintendo. (going to be saying that a lot this gen I think.)

The Pro is so nice once you get used to the R stick being over the buttons. It makes me wish I had some more games to play with it. All I have right now is DarkSiders II and I think I'd rather use the GamePad, because the GamePad features are kind of cool. I wish I had some VC games I could play with it.

mr_toa

Worst case scenario, we get a Dreamcast 2. I'm fine with that though, just as long as I get an awesome Zelda game and 2 sequels to zombiU. :)

dreamcast 2 scenario like in selling 10.6 million consoles and being discontinued after 2.5 years? I'm convinced that's pretty unlikely :)

Pharros

Not really... About the only thing I ever saw bad on miiverse was marked for moderation literally within 5 minutes. Yeah it sucks when something like that happens, but these people will get weeded out with console bans from miiverse... not many people willing to pay another $300 just to continue to troll miiverse.

Along with this, Miiverse can be turned off can it not? Perhaps if playing with a younger child you can simply have another profile without the online features enabled.

Setre

After owning the Wii U for a couple of days now I can say I’m a pretty big fan. Really like the gamepad and Miiverse is pretty fun. Only problem I have with the console so far is that my gamepad died on me twice and I didn’t get any indicator that the battery was dying. When I checked to see how much juice it had it was showing two bars but I’d had it plugged in for a couple of minutes too, so who knows.

After owning the Wii U for a couple of days now I can say I’m a pretty big fan. Really like the gamepad and Miiverse is pretty fun. Only problem I have with the console so far is that my gamepad died on me twice and I didn’t get any indicator that the battery was dying. When I checked to see how much juice it had it was showing two bars but I’d had it plugged in for a couple of minutes too, so who knows.

I found the battery reading is much less accurate when the controller is set to maximum brightness and power save mode off. I generally play with the game pad on 3 with power save on and the meter is a lot more accurate (no sudden drops from 3 bars to zero)

rpmurphy

Is there a way to mark messages within NSMBU? Was playing with my daughter and were greeted with a nice pic of a middle finger with the caption FUCK YOU BOWSER. Lovely. Couldnt find a way to get it removed.
Don't think so, but you can at least set the Miiverse setting on NSMB to just pull from friends/followed users instead of everyone.

MrMephistoX

Huh? It's great

Edit: after seeing some complaints above, more comment:

- no such thing as too light. Period.
- buttons play great. Only wish ZR/ZL were analog
- plastic is fine and not slippery
- thumb stick placement is BETTER IMO. Pro controller is primarily for move & look games (like FPS or third person shooters), and as a result the resting position for your thumbs should be the thumb sticks. In BLOPS 2, I only tap a face button once or twice a minute. Feels great.

Do the Wii Classic pads work on Wii U titles?

Hawk269

Anyone else having a hell of a time adjusing to the "B" button being where it is at? I am so use to that being that "A" button that I natuarally always go to that to confirm things versus where the "A" is on the Wii Pad. Will take some time for sure to adjust.

NINID: Hawk269

Anyone else having a hell of a time adjusing to the "B" button being where it is at? I am so use to that being that "A" button that I natuarally always go to that to confirm things versus where the "A" is on the Wii Pad. Will take some time for sure to adjust.

NINID: Hawk269

Nope... don't have that problem because that used to be where all systems had their "cancel" button till sometime in the mid PS2 era when Sony decided that in the West that the big button marked "X" should be the confirm button, and the "O" would be cancel.

Since I rarely play PS3 games and don't own any x-box systems and still regularly play SNES games, it feels right to me ;)

HylianTom

Banned
Beat NSMBU tonight - next up is ZombiU!

And - quite appropriately - I did the final level and its battle only with the gamepad! Looking at and playing off of the gamepad screen only is becoming quite a difficult habit to break. It's so good-looking, and maybe I like it being so close? I kinda worry that I'm going to have trouble going back to dual-screening things..

jonno394

Hey, in the numerous vita threads that are popping up, i keep seeing references to "Wii u bomba". Are initial sales reports not looking positive??

Hawk269

Hey, in the numerous vita threads that are popping up, i keep seeing references to "Wii u bomba". Are initial sales reports not looking positive??

Like the Vita before it and the 3ds, it is not flying off the shelves. A home console in the past was nearly impossible to find on the first holiday it is available, but the Wii U seems pretty easy to find, especially the White one. I know at my local TRU they had about 15 Black units and only sold about 8 of them or so all day. Best Buy in my area also had a some and did not sell them all today as well. This is not normal for a new home console.

Anyone using Wii LAN Adapter for a wired connection for Wii U online?

Can you report your speeds? I found out my Wireless provider sucks at downloading AC3 it just drops my speed to really low showing 44hours left right now.

Thinking of getting High Speed Cable or something with 50+Mpbs download I just want to know if the Wii LAN Adapter can handle it.

My wired is way slower than WiFi for some reason. Like almost 10 times slower. I have no idea why.

madmackem

Like the Vita before it and the 3ds, it is not flying off the shelves. A home console in the past was nearly impossible to find on the first holiday it is available, but the Wii U seems pretty easy to find, especially the White one. I know at my local TRU they had about 15 Black units and only sold about 8 of them or so all day. Best Buy in my area also had a some and did not sell them all today as well. This is not normal for a new home console.

They could have had more stock out there, this was never going to be the hype that wii had where parents were going nutty to get one for there kids. Times have changed i dont think we will ever see that sort of hype ever again for any console launch, just look at 3ds, vita, wii u launches bar the core market they barely made a ripple and it will be the same with the two to come.

The good thing about digital retail games is that we have the ability to buy games that are banned in a country for stupid reasons like I can't buy Darksidders 2 since it contains religious symbols.

It might not be sold out but its doing pretty well. Also, plz don't bring the console wars bullshit in this topic. This thread is about the wii u's launch. We have plenty of other threads for the roundabout sales figure talk.

Czigga

so I think my wii u just bricked out. was playing sonic racing for about 45 min. exited out of game to main menu. clicked on miiverse and the miiverse welcome/loading screen hung for about 10 min. couldn't click or hold power button to turn it off. so I unplugged it. now, when I turn it on I get no picture and the gamepad does not connect to the system. also again cant turn it off other than unplugging it. too late/tired to fuss with it any more but I think I might be fucked. any ideas? pretty lame. up to this point have had no locking issues at all.

moowear

Not sure where to ask this or if it's been answered but if I play a wii game, specifically Monster hunter tri, will I be able to use the wii u pro controller or will I have to connect the wii classic controller to the nun chuk and play from there?

so I think my wii u just bricked out. was playing sonic racing for about 45 min. exited out of game to main menu. clicked on miiverse and the miiverse welcome/loading screen hung for about 10 min. couldn't click or hold power button to turn it off. so I unplugged it. now, when I turn it on I get no picture and the gamepad does not connect to the system. also again cant turn it off other than unplugging it. too late/tired to fuss with it any more but I think I might be fucked. any ideas? pretty lame. up to this point have had no locking issues at all.

Seems to be a common way for the Wii U to fail. Leave it unplugged over night, plug it back in when you wake up and pray. I've had only one hard lockup that required a plug pull, but thankfully it turned back on. Best of luck.

Again, how is it silly and short sighted to keep people from installing their games on their friends' consoles? Does everybody just assume their console is going to be stolen? Or are there just a lot of people who want to pirate their friends' games?

this is a disingenuous argument. account piracy isn't rampant on xbox 360 or playstation 3 and yet both for unlimited account migration. the truth is that there will always be a minority looking to cash in or shre their accounts with friends, but those are often the very small minority, to punish the majority of people who don't do that to stop the minority is clearly unacceptable. other companies accept this, why is nintendo who backwards on this? the baffling thing is nintendo will undoubtedly release more colours and other upgrades that will result in people wanting to upgrade, which makes linking accounts to hardware a very strange and incredibly short sighted decision.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Not sure where to ask this or if it's been answered but if I play a wii game, specifically Monster hunter tri, will I be able to use the wii u pro controller or will I have to connect the wii classic controller to the nun chuk and play from there?

No Pro Controller. the Wii was made to expect a remote and look whether or not it has something plugged in the expansion jack.

this is a disingenuous argument. account piracy isn't rampant on xbox 360 or playstation 3 and yet both for unlimited account migration. the truth is that there will always be a minority looking to cash in or shre their accounts with friends, but those are often the very small minority, to punish the majority of people who don't do that to stop the minority is clearly unacceptable. other companies accept this, why is nintendo who backwards on this? the baffling thing is nintendo will undoubtedly release more colours and other upgrades that will result in people wanting to upgrade, which makes linking accounts to hardware a very strange and incredibly short sighted decision.

How is it punishing anyone? How is anyone inconvenienced by this, except those whose systems are stolen? That's what I'm aruguing, that everyone is making a HUGE deal over something that makes no difference to how most people will ever use their system.

And BTW, your different color argument is missing the fact that Nintendo released a 3DS-to-3DS transfer utility last November (similar to the Wii-to-Wii U utility), so they'll probably do the same thing with Wii U eventually, once there's a point to it.

Nibel

6 days

irVYtiwYp53vw.png

Mrbob

Do we know if Nintendo is ever going to offer full retail Wii games on the eshop? Some games are near impossible to find like xenoblade or metroid prime trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom