• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U rumors: Limiting chipset for controller, developer issues, release date talk

onQ123

Wii U rumors: Limiting chipset for controller, developer issues, release date talk
August 23rd, 2011 Posted in Posted by Valay, Rumors, Wii U
01Net published an article yesterday regarding information they’ve received about the 3DS. Today, they’ve followed up with some Wii U rumors.

The first topic of discussion focuses on the controller’s main chipset. There is apparently some concern that it is limiting. 01Net’s source goes as far as to say that it might be “a tad too cheap”. The site also claims that wireless capabilities aren’t functioning just yet and a fourth prototype will be made available before month’s end.

“So far, the Wii U controller’s main chipset – that manages the device’s essential functions, including streaming and wireless – seems inadequate. This chip, described by our source as maybe a tad too cheap, has been the sources of many headaches in recent weeks. So far, the wireless functions simply do not work – at all. There have been so far three different prototypes, and a fourth iteration is expected by select developers at the end of the month.”

01Net goes on to discuss the controller, which “is fitted with a small black box”. The kits supposedly don’t work as they should and developers are allegedly having issues with Wii U.

01Net’s comments in full on the situation:

“So far, developers are working with a tethered controller: each one is fitted with a small black box with a tethered connection to the main unit. And even then, it still doesn’t work properly. Many developers are feeling lost, their progress impeded by a distinct lack of visibility, their working days paced by the quasi-daily software updates. In those conditions, many feel unable to properly exploit the system’s most innovative and promising features, those very features they haven’t been able to test properly so far.”

You have to wonder how much of this is true. So far, third-parties have been very positive about creating games for Wii U. Vigil, for instance, even said that “it’s definitely a lot easier [to develop for] than say the PS3 was.”

Lastly, 01Net talks about when Wii U may launch. Although “developers are still expecting a June 2012 release”, it could be delayed to September. That’s assuming any of this is even true, of course.

“Ten months before the tentative release date – developers are still expecting a June 2012 release – the fact that Nintendo engineers are still struggling to make this supposedly final architecture function properly is worrisome at best. Could Nintendo have to make radical last-minute changes, and if so, what would be the cost? This unexpected development runs contrary to Nintendo’s reputation for carefully weighing all tech options long before any announcement. Inside the company, there have been talks of a delayed release, with September as a new tentative date. Being three months off-schedule doesn’t seem such a big issue, when compared to a home console’s life cycle. But this is not 2006 anymore. The industry is undergoing a radical mutation, and there is a growing amount of rumors positioning Microsoft’s next system to be unveiled during the 2012 E3 conference, and a relase in short order. If that was to happen, the Wii U would only enjoy a few months of ‘optimal run’ alongside the Xbox 360, which would essentially moot the much-touted ease with which developers can port 360 code for the Wii U. To succeed in its incredibly audacious endeavour, Nintendo will have to walk a very tight rope.”

Like yesterday’s report, you should take 01Net’s article with a grain of salt…

http://nintendoeverything.com/72144/

At this point it's like throwing shit at a wall. It's actually interesting to see how sites are celebrating rumours now as a factual narrative, with just enough "asuming it's true" thrown into the mix to be on the safe side.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Not overly surprising, it is damn hard to steam low latency video data. I really hope Nintendo has made sure they can actually do it.

McLovin

Cutting corners worked with the wii, but did they really think they could pull that off again? Controls can make or break a system why would they risk it? I mean they made so much money they can afford good parts :\

StevieP

Banned
Only GAF would react to an article like this. From blu in the other thread:

blu said:
I particularly loved the 'Developers on the Brink' chapter - pure gold.

(article is written as if by somebody who's was recently teleported to planet Earth, and has no clue whatsoever of console launches. But has a good taste for drama. If the same person was around the xb360's launch, they could've wet themselves).

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Nintendo skimping on the tech in a shortsighted manner? I'm pretty shocked.

I hope Nintendo takes their time and sorts this stuff out prior to launch.

maybe they did and the rumor is false

If Wii U can't support at least four controllers Nintendo can sit all the way DOWNE.

I'm not here for this "use your Wii Remote" mess.

Seriously if Nintendo wasn't sure they could get the streaming working do you think they would have shown it off at e3 like that? People were playing with it at e3 and it was working then, now 3 months later it doesn't work at all? I just don't buy it.

So since possible delays ALWAYS happen in the video game industry, and I do mean always, no exceptions, as developers are the slowest people ever on earth, this means Wii U is coming out in September 2012. Unless it is delayed further, which is quite possible.

And people think a new Xbox is coming in 2012? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. 2014 if you're lucky (they're probably aiming for 2013 but it'll be, wait for it, delayed)

Monarch said:
Controllers were wired at E3.

Where they?
Some where wired to another TV set.......?

Even still the article states it's struggling tethered............. maybe they spoke with a dumbshit 2 bit developer?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Nintendo cancels this system. I just have a feeling they don't release the system as they initially planned to do. Something major is going to change.

TheNatural

My Member!
As I said in yesterday's thread, Nintendo is really having some in house organizational problems. They're spending an awful lot of time and resources for something that really has marginal benefit and isn't going to come close to the first adopter craze of motion gaming that the Wii was. Now it sounds like it's becoming a logistical nightmare to do some of this stuff realistically.

Nintendo really needs a reworking of their philosophy, when it used to be all about cost and simplicity, and now that's not the case anymore.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
GCX said:
Why would anyone want to release a console in June?

Makes sense to me--school is out for the summer and it gives time to install a decent userbase before a big holiday season.

noointernetrf6.jpg

There's always criticism, worries and supposed difficulties before the launch of any console. This is standard.
Besides, there's like 10-11 months till suspected launch. Plenty of time to set things straight.

firelink

Banned
Every single developer on the planet has said good things about the Wii U working.

Ubisoft even showcased a real live demo at E3 (with a wireless controller) that they got working in a month or two.

And then suddenly, all is hell and no one can get anything to work, and no one finds this a bit fishy?

StevieP

Banned
It's like no one on this site is at all familiar with the development process. Did anyone read "blu"'s post above? Or is this another reactionary thread without any sort of semblance of comprehension?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Nintendo cancels this system.

Yep.

Foffy

Banned
firelink said:
Every single developer on the planet has said good things about the Wii U working.

Ubisoft even showcased a real live demo at E3 (with a wireless controller) that they got working in a month or two.

And then suddenly, all is hell and no one can get anything to work, and no one finds this a bit fishy?

B-But the source!!!!

Monarch

Banned
SlipperySlope said:
Exactly what I mean. The article is saying that the controllers are having issues even while tethered, which contradicts what was said at E3.

Yeah, right. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Well, I don't know what's going on with current dev kits, maybe it's the daily software update issue mentioned affecting how controllers work ?

Top Bottom